SM Academy USA (Vol. 1)

WhiteRose Oneshots and Drabbles Collection

The title sounds pretty self explanitory. So I'll just say this. This is going to be a collection of oneshot stories that come to my mind I think this first oneshot will explain mostly everything. This is one of those "read to find out the plot" stories. Each oneshot should be one separate story plot, unless it's a longer plot. Confusing I know, but it'll make sense when you read the series. And, yes this is another SHINee fic. However, I can put more SM groups in since the title suggests a more general appearance. So, here's vol. 1.

 

Surprise Teachers


It was one of the last days in summer in Los Angeles, California. A very large crowd of youth ranging from thirteen to nineteen all stood outside a newly constructed building, all with suitcases, tote bags, duffle bags, and backpacks. They all looked nervous, anxious, and, most of all, excited. A lot had happened over the summer of last year and this year that motivated them to be in that particular spot on that particular day. It all had happened so suddenly and spontaneously, they really weren’t prepared for it.


Over the summer of last year, one of the most popular boy bands of SM Entertainment debuted in English: SHINee. The five shining Korean idols took the American music industry by storm, introducing new and exotic forms and genres of music, dance, and even fashion and entertainment in general. The music industry of the US experienced its biggest upheaval since the beginning of the modern era. Musicians, singers, song writers, and dancers all became more open to new music and entertainment. So, to meet the demand of the new, upgraded music industry, SM Entertainment decided to fund the construction of a new academy in Los Angeles; the SM Academy USA.


After its construction, applications and auditions started being accepted and viewed at the beginning of summer of that year. Youth came flocking from everywhere across the country and even from other English speaking countries like Australia. Quickly, teachers and staff were hired into the academy and preparations were made for the academy to be ready for when the students arrived. So here the students were, all standing outside the new academy building, waiting for the doors to open for the very first time, the doors to their new future.


Two of these students were Rosalynn Snow and her best friend Stella Arian. They were both fifteen, Freshman staring their first year of high school. Stella had long, milk chocolate brown hair that fell in natural waves and light brown eyes that shone brightly like amber. Rosalynn was blonde with green eyes whose hair never seemed to behave for combs, brushes, or styling appliances, so she just left it down or in a ponytail.


“Rose, this is so awesome! I can’t believe we got accepted!” Stella bounced up and down excitedly, clutching some of her K-pop albums to her chest.


“I know! I this is so unbelievable! Imagine all the idol’s we’ll get to meet one day!” Rosalynn couldn’t help but smile like a total fangirl (which she was) “TVXQ!”


“Super Junior!”


“SNSD!”


“f (x)!”


“Even groups from other labels, like U-KISS!”


“And don’t forget Big Bang!”


“But, most of all-"


“SHINee!!!!” they cried together.


“Oh my God! Can you imagine meeting them?!” Rosalynn fawned.


“Oh yes! I can just imagine you meeting them! ‘Taeminnie-ah! Teach me how to dance! Can you sing and dance to Replay for me? Oppa, marry me!’” Stella best friend.


“Whatever! I wouldn’t go that far!” Rosalynn said to hide her blush. “And what about you, Ms. I’m Obsessed With Kim Kibum?! You’ll probably go up to him saying, “Key oppa, does this outfit look good on me? Kibum-ah, let’s go shopping, that way you can help me with my fashion sense!’”


Stella pushed Rosalynn and laughed. “Okay, so maybe we would be thinking of saying all those things, but we wouldn’t really say them out loud. When meeting idol celebrities, you have to remain calm and pretend that you’re a sane, normal, self-controlled individual.” Rosalynn looked at her and blinked. “That is, if you can control yourself around people as beautifully and gorgeously handsome as SHINee.”


Rosalynn laughed. “Right. As if.”


Just then, two arms fell around their shoulders. “Sup, shawols?” came a soft male voice.


The two turned to see the blonde-haired, blue-eyed baby face of their best guy friend Angel Johnson. “Hi Angel!” they hugged him.


They were the only two who could call him by his first name. Everyone else had to call him either AJ or by his middle name, Carson. Angel was tallish and had a youthful, childish aura about him, even though he was almost sixteen. His hair was thick and cut short and his eyes were like the sky; bright, bright blue with a hint of cloudiness. He was the type that the two girls always imagined would do just fine as a solo artist simply because he had the looks and the talent, and, of course, the killer sweet smile. He really was like an angel.


“I’ve been looking for you guys! Is this place hooked up or what?!”


The three of them looked up at the academy building. It was tall, really tall. Well, actually, there were multiple buildings. There was the main building right in front of them which was two stories tall and very, very big in terms of area. Then, to their right was another, three story building with lots of windows that showed views of large, white classrooms or wide, open areas. Peeking out between the main building and the building to the right was another, more old fashioned building that looked like marble or granite. There was also a third set of buildings that were probably their dorm rooms. All of the buildings were very modernly designed and looked like something straight out of Seoul with all the geometrical designs. Honestly, that was all they could see, but they had the feeling that the whole campus was even larger than what it looked like at first glance.


“This place is like an Arts college or something! And we’ll be taking both core classes and our SM classes here! Lee Sooman sure hooked us American rookies up, huh?” Angel smiled up at their new school.


“Yeah, no kidding,” Stella agreed. “I guess Koreans believe you either go hard or go home.”


“Well, with a music industry like ours and the K-pop industry, I don’t blame them,” Rosalynn shrugged. “But since SM is an Asian label, don’t be surprised if our teachers push us harder than they would I a normal school.”


Angel winced. “Oh, yeah. ‘Lowest grade is a B’ and all that. Aish, as the Koreans say.” He sighed then hugged them and patted their shoulders. “Well, I’ll see you gals later. I gotta go find my other posse. See ya in class!”  With that he jogged off through the crowd.


A little longer and then, suddenly, the doors opened wide and in poured the students with their luggage.


A tall man with dark brown hair and hazel eyes standing off to the side shouted to the students. “Everyone please make your way into the auditorium at the end of the hallway! Leave your bags and luggage in the back of the auditorium and find someplace to sit! You will be heading to your dorm rooms after the assembly!”


“You know,” Stella whispered to Rosalynn as they walked into the auditorium and found someplace to put their luggage, “I kind of expected them to hire Koreans to teach us instead of us crazy Americans.”


“Yeah, I was too. But, you never know, they could have hired some Korean teachers.”


They found some seats directly in the middle of the auditorium. The auditorium was like a huge concert stadium. The seats were positioned in a diagonal arc form with the stage down in the bottom of the pit like area in front of the seats. It was like they were at a mini concert. The girls decided that the auditorium was made like that so the trainees could get used to that sort of environment. They looked up and over to see Angel waving at them, surrounded by his other friends. They waved back and smiled.


Rosalynn sighed. “K-pop industry, here we come.”

 



A good looking man in his early thirties, dressed in a gray cotton shirt and black jeans, who looked like he was part Korean stepped up on stage with a microphone. He fiddled with it, trying to get it to work. He flipped a switch and feedback squealed loudly throughout the auditorium. Everyone cringed and covered their ears. The room was silenced.


The man cleared his throat. “Ahem. Sorry about that. Microphones these days, huh? They don’t work for anybody.” There were a few snickers. The man smiled in greeting. “Anyway, good morning, annyeong haseyo, and welcome to the very first year of the SM Academy USA.” The trainees all applauded and shouted and cheered loudly. “I am Daniel Kwon and I am your headmaster. I’ll be speaking to you today about our academy on behalf of the rest of the staff, who are busy getting ready for the start of classes tomorrow.


First off, the founder of SM Entertainment would like to say, welcome, thank you for auditioning, congratulations on being accepted into our very first year, and he hopes to see all of you around the SM building in Seoul, South Korea some day.


Secondly, our staff and teachers, as well as our class courses have all been carefully selected so as to give you, our trainees, the best opportunity to succeed in one of the largest music industries in the world.  In concurrence with that, we’ve provided you with everything you need here on the campus.


But enough about what we have provided, let’s get into exactly what your classes and teachers are going to be like. For example, for this year we have five, very special teachers here to help you all with your first year here. All of you know who they are and, hopefully, respect and love them dearly. But, I’m not going to just tell you who they are, you’ll have to guess. So here’s a hint. They’re known for their accents, their daring personalities when it comes to music and entertainment, and are always fun-filled and energized.”


Murmurs of discussion floated throughout the room. Students turned to their friends, going through K-pop groups that fit the description. No one seemed to be figuring it out. Backstage, the five idols waited anxiously for someone to guess who it was. Up in the stands, Rosalynn already knew who it was.


“Oh my God,” she breathed. “They didn’t.”


“What? Do you know who it is?” Stella asked anxiously. “Who is it?”


“I know who it is.” Cautiously, Rosalynn raised her hand. The entire stand went silent.


“Yes? You have a guess?” Headmaster Kwon asked.


Rosalynn took a deep breath. “It’s SHINee.”


The five boys backstage turned and looked at each other, smiling, happy that someone had guessed who they were from such a vague hint.


The headmaster smiled and gestured towards backstage. “Let’s find out, shall we?”


Out came SHINee and the students went wild. Girls were screaming-some crying-and boys were high fiving each other and whooping and hollering. After the crowd settled down a bit the five boys raised their microphones and bowed.


“Hello, everyone! We are shining SHINee!” they greeted in their routine greeting. Again, the crowd erupted into loud cheers. Boys looked excited and girls were still crying and fanning themselves.


“Wow,” Jonghyun whistled, looking around at the large group of trainees, a hand on his hip. “There sure are a lot of you.”


“Ne, really,” Minho nodded. He pointed to the crowd. “I expected a lot less than this. I’m shocked.”


Key scoffed. “You guys don’t have any faith in the US. Of course there are a lot of trainees here! ‘Cause K-pop in America is cool like that, right?!”


“Yeah!” they shouted.


“And you guys are gonna ace your classes, right?” Key asked again.


“Yeah!”


“And you’re gonna graduate and become the next generation of idols, right?” Jonghyun asked them.


The response was even bigger this time.


“But!” Onew cut in, raising a finger. “You have to take it one step at a time and work toward it. Becoming an idol is never easy and there are no shortcuts. Right Taemin?”


“Ne. What we do may seem easy, but it really isn’t. It takes a lot of hard work and determination. Sometimes you go to class one day and just don’t really feel like doing anything or like your efforts won’t be rewarded. But aside from that, there are always good days where you feel like ‘Wow! I might actually be famous one day and get to do exactly what I love to do!’ And if you try and think that way every day, you’ll just fine in the K-pop industry.”


Everyone applauded Taemin’s speech, energized and ready for their journey to stardom.


“Alright. Thank you, SHINee for the powerful opening comments. And Taemin and Onew are right. Nothing ever comes easy in this industry. But you shouldn’t get discouraged either. And that,” Mr. Kwon said, “is exactly why we asked these experienced young men to help guide you all through your first year of training. So, without further ado, I’ll turn the stage over to them and they can tell you all about what to expect in your first year here at SM Academy USA.”


More applause and Mr. Kwon walked off stage and to the side.


“Ahh,” Onew sighed. “First year of training at SM Academy…” He turned to his dongsaengs and shrugged, throwing a hand up. “What can we say?”


“What can we say?” Jonghyun repeated the question in agreement. “Well, first I would say, ‘Nothing is impossible’ and ‘Expect the unexpected’.”


“Ne. Chinccha,” Key nodded. “A lot of things happen within your first year. Both good and bad. Things like stress, crammed schedules, drama, your first grades, meeting the people you could potentially form a group with or who might end up as your sunbaes and hoobaes, and thoughts like, ‘This is harder than I thought it would be.’ ‘This isn’t what I expected.’ ‘Will I even graduate?’ ‘Should I drop out?’”


“‘Oh my God, what have I gotten myself into?!’” Jonghyun added with a laugh.


“Of course,” Minho agreed. “But the two biggest problems that trainees always face, no matter what country they’re from, are stress and peer pressure. Or just pressure in general even. Those two things may seem like things you can get over eventually, but the truth is, they will knock your feet out from underneath you really quickly and really easily.”


Taemin nodded. “Ne. In our trainee days we saw a lot of potential idols leave or quit because of the pressure and stress. Maybe because they couldn’t handle their classes or because they saw their friends and peers pull ahead of them and just felt like they didn’t have the skill. But you have to get passed that. You can’t let that drag you down. There will always be people who go against you or who are better than you, but you just have to work hard and improve your skills and talents and eventually things will fall into place.”


“And, advice from me,” Jonghyun raised his hand. “It never hurts to just have a good cry either.”


The trainees laughed.


“Yah!” Key yelled. “You’re laughing, but it’s true! I can’t even tell you how many times Jonghyun and I locked ourselves in our rooms or went up to the roof and cried it out!”


“Anyway, enough about the depressing stuff.” Onew smiled. “Are you guys wondering what classes we’re going to teach?” They all went wild again then got silent ready to listen. “Well, first off, we all will be teaching one core class by ourselves, one SM Academy class that each of the others will mingle around in, and all five of us will be teaching one elective class together.” Onew gestured to himself. “I will be the advanced placement teacher for Science and the main teacher for a special variety elective class that will include things like MCing, acting, hosting, and other things like that. Who's next?"

"Me!" Key raised his hand. "I'm teaching the advanced placement History class, which will include the history of the world, ancien history, and US history mixed with maybe Korean history as well, if we're lucky, and I will also be teaching The Performing Arts which will be everything from acting and musicals to dancing and playing instruments."

"As for me," Jonghyun went next, "I will be the regular Literacy, English, and Language Arts teacher, because I was never very good in school, especially math." Everyone laughed at his self criticism. "And I will be teaching....wait for it....Music and Choir!" The crowd cheered. "But you probably could have guessed that yourself..."

Minho raised his microphone to speak. "I will be the Gym and Physical Education teacher and I'll also have a Rapping elective that I'll share with Key on occasion." The boys and a few girls seemed to like that a lot.

"And, lastly," Taemin smiled, "I'll be teaching the advanced placemen Literacy, English, and Language Art's class, plus I'll be an occasional teacher's assistant or substitute for advanced Math and my SM Academy class is.....Dancing and Performing!" The crowd wasn't surprised but they cheered anyway.

"And the class we all will be teaching together is what we're best at," Onew said.

On the count of three they all cheered, "Foriegn Languages!" That was obviously the crowds favorite.

"So, that's about it for now. We still have a lot to finish up before tomorrow so we'll let you ponder your classes and turn the mic over to Kwon songsaengnim," Onew nodded as he finished.

Mr. Kwon hopped back on stage. "Thank you, SHINee for that wonderful speech about the students' classes. I'll let you guys go and finish up preparing your classrooms and I'll finish up here."

The boys nodded and proceeded to shuffle off stage. Taemin turned to the crowd one last time. "See you all tomorrow! And don't be late for class!" Everyone waved at the adorable maknae and turned back to Mr. Kwon.

"So, that about concludes the assembly. Everyone, if you will, please exit out the doors to your right and follow the hallway down to the cafeteria. There you will be getting your schedules, maps of the school, your dorm keys, your books and school supplies, our first newsletter of the year done by some of our staff and SHINee themselves, and also meeting a few of your other teachers. While you're doing that, your luggage will be taken to you dorm rooms. After you're done in the cafeteria, a staff member will lead you to the dorms so you can unpack your things. Please enjoy the rest of your day. Dismissed."

"Oh, boy...This is going to be an interesting first year...." Rosalynn sighed as she and Stella flowed with the rest of the crowd out the doors.

 

a/n: Sorry if it's boring and/or slow. The next one will be some comedy.