Sagwa and Maknae (Vol. 1)

WhiteRose Oneshots and Drabbles Collection

Okay, first oneshot series.

This is a SHINee, fluff, romance, and school tagged fic where, after SHINee has debuted and succeeded in America and English speaking countries, they decide to go off to college and study their interests. They decide to do a study abroad year. Each of them (save for Jonghyun and Key) go someplace different (JongKey XD). Taemin decides to go to New York. He gets involved as an intern at a high school for the year as a Librarian's Assistant and Teacher's Assistant for music and gym class. Then, he meets Annalise Dawson, a Junior who's not like the other students. Although, being interested in a student isn't exactly good for your resume...What could happen? Read if you're interested.

 

First Day, First Sight

Annalise Dawson, like always, arrived at her large, maze-like high school in New York City early, when breakfast just started being served and they still had forty-five minutes before they had to make their way to their homeroom class and went straight to the school's two story, well endowed library. It was her first day of her Junior year, and while no one had their library cards yet, the school librarian, Ms. Melanie Anderson, trusted her enough after two years to let her sign out books by paper and pencil until they got their cards for that year. So, routinely, just like every day for the past two years, she walked into the library early in the morning before even going to breakfast to return old books check out new ones; this year would be no different than the last two.


"Good morning, Ms. Melanie. It's good to see you again," Annalise smiled as she pushed her silver rimmed glasses up the bridge of her nose and straightened her large, gray and black ribboned fedora hat that hid her cherry red locks from the world.


"Annalise! Good morning, dear! It's very good to see you too! Starting your routine again, huh?" Ms. Melanie was a dark-haired, green-eyed woman in her late twenties, early thirties who always smiled to every student that walked into her library every morning, even the bad ones. "Got those books you kept for the summer for me?"


"Of course!" Annalise set down her backpack and pulled out a tall stack of books of all genres and set them on the large check out table with a thud!


Ms. Melanie sighed and shook her head at the stack of books. "Child, I don't know how you do it, but you do it like no other bookworm I've ever seen before. You're going to need more room in that encyclopedia brain of yours before long."


Annalise just laughed.


That's when she heard the squeaking of a cart coming from behind her towards the back of the first floor of the library. While Ms. Melanie checked in her books she looked back. That's when she saw him. He was tall with wispy, yet thick black hair that hugged his neck and ears. He was taking books off of a cart and placing them in their rightful spots on the shelves. His shoulders and back were broad but his waist looked small and slim, as well as his legs. He was muscular, like he did some kind of weekly workout but didn't overdo it. His skin was fair and healthy like peach colored porcelain. His back was turned to her, so she couldn't see his face, but she could just imagine what he looked like.


He had a simple style too-white high tops with gold t and strings, light gray jeans with the legs bunched up at the bottom, and a light gold-yellow shirt with a nice looking black dress jacket. He had a few wrist bands and bracelets around his wrists, two of which looked like rosary beads. Instantly, she knew he would be the type to get unfailing attention from the other female students and jealous glares from the male students. Or, who knows? Maybe he'd be the nice, sensitive type and not even notice all the attention and jealousy, then the students wouldn't be able to help but like him at least a little.


"Ms. Melanie?"


"Yes, dear?"


"Who is that guy?"


Ms. Melanie looked up and behind her and smiled brightly. "Oh, that's our new intern." She sounded strangely pleased.


"Intern? But what happened to Clarissa?" Annalise frowned at the thought that her good friend might not be coming back this year.


"She graduated. She went off to Italy on a paid trip by her college. She's going to be studying and learning about Ancient Rome there. I put in a request for a new intern and that's who was sent over to us." Ms. Melanie finished checking in her books and leaned over the counter to talk to Annalise in hushed whispers. "Apparently," she said excitedly, "he's a famous celebrity from a recently disbanded boy band. I heard that he and his group mates chose to go to college and get their degrees for their talents. Guess they plan to teach and help the future generation. And boy is he a charmer! I've never seen looks like that, even on some of the finest women! And wait until you hear his accent!"


"Accent?" Now Annalise was confused.


"He's studying abroad here in New York City for the year. He's from South Korea! His group-SHINee, I think-debuted in English here in the States back in late 2012. He was their lead dancer and youngest member, I heard. His English is so adorable! He sounds like an angel!"


Annalise looked back at him again. His back was still to them. Silently, he placed the books on the shelves. She couldn't help but be curious about this new, supposedly famous, intern from South Korea.


"Here, let me see if I can get him to turn around." Melanie looked around behind the counter and pulled out a stack of newly labeled and stamped books. "Hey, Taemin?"


Gracefully and sweetly, he turned around and smiled the most angelic smile Annalise had ever seen. "Yes?"
"When you're done with those I have another stack here. Can you put these on the shelves upstairs in the fiction section when you're done with those?"


"Of course. I'll be done in a minute," he answered. Yes, the accent was definitely there. And it was sweet.


But that’s not what caught her attention first. What she was drawn by was his high cheekbones, soft and pure smile, and beautiful dark, petal like eyes that were brightened by his pure black hair. His jaw was stern, yet soft. His features were impeccably perfect. He was flawless, like a prince or a god.


Annalise prayed that her face wasn’t the same color as her hair at that moment. She felt her heart race. Her knees went weak just by gazing at him. She knew it was rude to stare, but she just couldn’t look away. He seemed to glow from head to toe. Suddenly, compared to this man’s beauty, she felt very, very, very small and even more self-conscious. She could have sworn she got an inferiority complex.


Finally, she was able to turn around. “Uh, I’d better go. See you later Ms. Melanie.”


“What? But, aren’t you going to sign out any books?”


“No, not now. I haven’t had breakfast yet, so I’d better go and eat before school starts. I’ll be back during lunch.”


“Alright. See you then, hon.”


Annalise lifted her backpack on her shoulder and made a beeline for the library’s double doors, rushing down the hallway and away from the beautiful intern as quickly as she could.


Taemin walked over to the counter and picked up the new books. He noticed Ms. Melanie staring at the doors the girl with the glasses and fedora rushed out of. “One of your regulars?” he wondered.


“Yeah. And usually she walks out with twice as many books as she comes in with. Strange. Wonder what’s gotten into her.”


“My charms, maybe?” Taemin joked, his hair and cheek and smiling his sweet smile.


Ms. Melanie gave him an amused smile and laughed. “I wouldn’t be surprised.” Then she was serious. “But, no. She’s not into the whole crush, romance thing. She’d much rather focus on her studies. If she is into all that, it’s only in books.”


“Hmm,” Taemin thought, a pout forming on his lips. “First day jitters, then?”


“Maybe. She’s a Junior this year, so I wouldn’t doubt it.”


“That’s second to last year here in America, right? The third year out of four?”


“That’s right. She takes her ACTs this year too. Next year she wants to take her SATs too.”


“Wow. She has ‘a lot on her plate’, as they say.”


“That indeed she does,” Ms. Melanie nodded. She turned to Taemin. “Asians are expected to do exceptionally well in school, right? Maybe you can help her out sometime.”


Taemin laughed. “That’s a bit stereotypical, but yes, that’s right. I’d be happy to help her when she needs it.”
Ms. Melanie just smiled. “Well, then. Let’s get back to work. Lots of books to put away.”


Taemin nodded and proceeded to pick up an extra stack, almost dropping all of them in the process. Ms. Melanie smiled and looked to the heavens. Between Annalise and her new quirky foreign intern, she’d have her hands full this year.