Chapter 1: First, there was nothing

Death Note: Revelations
Please log in to read the full chapter

______________Chapter 1: First, There Was Nothing______________

Ryuk was perched on a rocky outcrop, his crimson eyes fixed on the somber expanse of the Shinigami realm. With a casual gesture, he reached into his satchel and retrieved a handful of decaying apples. "Looks like it's time," he muttered to himself. Nearby, another Shinigami glanced up, its form resembling a grotesque slug. "Leaving already?" it remarked, its voice dripping with apathy. Ryuk shrugged, tossing an apple core aside. "Time's a relative concept here. And besides, I made a promise to myself—I'd head to the human world once I ran out of apples." The slug-like Shinigami offered a dismissive grunt in response. Ryuk stretched his wings lazily, a sense of anticipation rising within him. "About time for a change of scenery," he remarked, a mischievous grin on his face. With a flap of his wings, he propelled himself toward a winding staircase leading to a blinding expanse of white. "Well here we go, heh" He murmured.

                             _______DEATH NOTE: REVELATIONS_______

Near sat on the floor of the dimly lit room, his snow-white hair twirling between his fingers as he stared intently at the wide screen displaying various data points. "We're closing in on this case now, yet I don't feel accomplished," he murmured to himself, a faint echo of the late L's sentiments reverberating in his mind. Suddenly, the tranquility was interrupted by the abrupt entrance of a man with blonde hair, his urgency palpable. "Near, the suspect has run away. What are we going to do?" he blurted out. Near's lips curved into a slight smile, a glimmer of confidence in his eyes. "Well, perhaps let him run. We have a tracker on him, so he can't get very far," he replied calmly, his voice carrying an air of calculated assurance. The blonde-haired man nodded briskly before hurrying out of the room. It's all pointless. These cases... Are boring. I can never fail, I always win—no tic for tac. Just me strictly always winning. Perhaps this is what L felt; before he encountered Kira that is. This case... It will be my last.  

______________________________________________________

 In a dimly lit alleyway in Los Angeles, the atmosphere was fraught with tension as a skinny man with long black hair darted through the shadows, clutching a black notebook tightly in his grasp. "There has to be someone around here; it's LA," he muttered under his breath, his red eyes scanning the vicinity frantically for a potential victim. Spotting a tall high school student walking alone on the sidewalk, his resolve hardened. "Ryuk, can you give that guy the Death Note? I want to relinquish my ownership of it. Please," he pleaded with the Shinigami hovering nearby. Ryuk chuckled darkly, his eerie grin widening. "Heh, I'll see what I can do. So, you wanna let go of the Death Note, huh?" he replied nonchalantly. With a nod, the man consented, his crimson eyes fading into a dull brown as a wave of confusion washed over him. "Huh? What am I doing here?" he muttered, disoriented by the sudden shift in his consciousness.

Well, he was boring. Ryuk thought bitterly as he observed the unsuspecting high school student. "Maybe this kid will be better. Heh, he carries himself just like Light." The teenager, standing at a stoplight, was taken aback as a book suddenly fell before him, landing squarely on his face. "What the hell?" he exclaimed, reaching down to pick up the mysterious tome. "A Death Note? There's no way this thing's real, right?" he scoffed incredulously, but an inexplicable urge compelled him to slip it into his bag nonetheless. Well, I might as well keep it so no one else gets fooled, he reasoned with a shrug. He finally made it home but noticed something. Dad's car. It isn't her

Please log in to read the full chapter