Chapter 2

Unexpected Circumstances

Sungjae sniffed around the beds, nose poking in anything he could find. It was pitch black, the members of Shinee fast asleep at that early hour in the morning. The kitten's nose bumped against smething hard and cold, but it gave away under his touch. He nudged it again, feeling it move out of the way. He crawled forward, crouching down to enter the small space that appeared before him. The smells around him changed, and it seemed to get darker, if that was even possible. He crawled over a few hard, cold objects, finally making it to the back of the space he found. It was comfortable, and he curled up, wrapping his tail over his nose and driting off.

 

 

 

Minho woke before the others, as usual, groaning as he rubbed his eyes to wake himself up. He slung his feet over the edge of the bed, carefully avoiding Onew as he made his way to the other side of the room. He reached down, gently patting Taemin's leg to wake him up. The younger jerked awake, effectively waking Key from across the room.

Taemin looked around for a moment, glanced at Minho, then flopped back down onto his bed. Key let out a soft moan, then rolled out of bed, landing on Onew's bed beneath him. The leader stayed asleep as Key casually walked across the bed, jumping down and making his way to the kitchen to start making breakfast for the two students.

Minho patted Taemin again, letting him wake up as he went and took a shower. When he came back out, Taemin and Jonghyun were sitting at the dining table, Key just serving them omletes. Minho grabbed a plate and took his spot, smiling as he was served as well.

"Kesumneda," Jonghyun said as he dug into the food.

"Onew not up yet?" Minho asked. Key looked over at the bedroom door, shaking his head as he served up a plate for himself. "Someone should get him," Minho said, taking a bite of the omlete. Jonghyun looked up at Taemin, who glanced at Key, who looked right back at him. He sighed, putting down his chopsticks and heading to the bedroom.

"Why do I have to be the youngest?" he muttered as he pulled the blankets off Onew. The older groaned, feeling around for the missing covers before cracking his eyes open. "Breakfast," Taemin said, then walked out of the room.

"Was Sungjae in there by chance?" Key asked Taemin as he came back out.

"I didn't see him. But I wasn't really looking either," he replied, finally getting a taste of the omlete. Minho glanced around at the mention of the kitten, sweeping the toys on the living room floor. His eyebrows slightly knit together, but he figured the kitten might be in the bedroom.

Onew stumbled out of the room then, slowly making his way to the table. He plopped down at his spot, taking his chopstcks in his hand. "Kesumneda," he quietly said before taking a bite. Key poked him as his chewing began to slow, and he sat up, blinking a few times to wake himself up. Taeming giggled, cleaning off his plate just as Jonghyun finished up.

"Yeobo, that was amazing," he said to Key, smiling as he stretched back and patted his tummy.

"I spoil you too much," Key sighed. "Quickly you two, you need to get to school," he said to Taemin and Minho. Taemin hurried off to the bedroom to change, and Minho quickly finished his breakfast. He put the plate in the sink, taking one last glance around the room for his kitten. He shrugged, heading to the bedroom. He walked in just as Taemin's slight figure disappeared beneath the school shirt, a very light blush covering his cheeks at seeing the younger.

"Hurry, hyung, we'll be late," Taemin said, heading to the bathroom to freashed up. Minho nodded, quickly changing and picking up their school bags. He glanced around the room, not seeing Sungjae in his basket or anywhere else. He sighed, wondering where the kitten could be hiding. Minho handed Taemin his bag when they met at the door, and the two waved goodbye to the others and left. They climbed into the company van, and headed off to school.

 

 

Taemin chatted with his friends as the last bell for class to begin rang. He waved goodbye to them as they took their seats, carefully placing his bag next to his seat and looking up as the teacher walked into the room. He reached down, opeining up his bag to pull out his books and a pencil. But when he reached in, something fuzzy and warm met his hand. He opened the bag up more, to be met with two large brown eyes looking up at him.

He looked at the kitten in bewilderment, glancing around to make sure no one was seeing what was going on. He put his finger over his lips, hoping the kitten would stay quiet. He carefully pulled out his materials, slightly closing the bag back up. He looked up at the teacher, scratching down a few notes before glancing down at the bag again. Every few moments he was glancing down, making sure the kitten was staying hidden in the bag.

"Taemin, is there something wrong?" the teacher suddenly asked.

"Um, aniyo, seun sang nim," Taemin quickly said, sitting up in his desk again. The teacher watched him for a moment longer, then continued with the lesson. Taemin's eyes darted to the bag, but he resisted the urge to look at it again and focused on the front of the room.

The kitten inside the bag sat there, staring up at the light that filtered through the opening. He reached up, pawing it the zipper hanging above him, managing to move it a bit. The opeinging of the bag got bigger, and he batted at the zipper again. After a few more swipes, he reached his paws up, sticking his head out of the bag. The room was so big! There were smells and sights everywhere, and so many new people.

He quietly jumped out of the bag, his collar giving a nearly inaudable jingle as he landed. He looked around his new surroundings, gathering himself before venturing under a nearby desk. The foot of the student twitched, and Sungjae backed away. She stopped moving, and he crept closer, sniffing the shoe of the student. He got closer, his nose near the student's ankle, whiskers touching her ankle.

She suddenlylet out a scream, pulling her foot up under herself and sitting on the desk. "There's something under the table!" she yelled. The kitten backed away, tail fluffed from the sudden scare. Students began gathering around, investigating the cause of the girl's scream.

"Oh! It's a kitten!" One of them pointed, taking a step to picking him up. Sungjae let out a small hiss, backing away from the outstretched hand. He turned tail and ran as another student went for him, weaving through the forest of legs and shoes toward the front of the class. Taemin stood, catching sight of the kitten as he dashed out the door into the hall. He jumped over the desk, rushing out toward the scared animal.

Sungjae cowered against the far wall, a group of older boys surrounding him and poking at him as he hissed and swipped at their fingers. Taemin approached them, looking over their shoulders to see the kitten.

"Hey, leave him alone! That's my cat!" he said, trying to pull the group away from the kitten. One of the boys stood, snickering at him and shoving him away.

"Your own fault for bringing him to school," he said as he returned to tormenting the pet. Sungjae let out a desperate yowl, swiping at the boys again with his claws out. One of the boys reached out, picking him up by the scruff as he spat and growled in protest. The boy laughed as Taemin tried to grab the kitten, keeping him out of his reach.

Suddenly, the kitten was taken from the boys hand. He turned, finding Minho holding the kitten against his chest, calmly petting him as he glared daggers at the boys. The apparent leader huffed, motioning for the others to fall back. Minho glared at them until they disapeared around the corner, then looked at Taemin.

"Tae...," he said, holding back the anger in his voice.

"I'm sorry, Minho! I didn't know he was with me! I found him in my bag, and I tried to make sure he stayed there..." Taemin stated, trailing off as Minho's gaze calmed. The two looked at the kitten, who was happily purring. A cough came from the door, and they looked over to see the teacher and many of the students crowded at the door.

"I'll call the manager and take Sungjae home," Minho said, giving an appologetic bow to the teacher before turning to leave.

"I'm sorry, Minho," Taemin said again. He just shrugged, and the younger reluctantly returned to his class.

 

 

"He was where?" Jonghyun asked again, holding back a laugh as Minho retold the story for the thrid time. Key rolled his eyes, petting the kitten as it slept on his lap.

"The poor thing went through a lot today," he murmered, scratching behind his ear.

"He's been through a lot? What about poor Taeminnie? He was the one who found him in his bag," Jonghyun replied.

"But he's a human, and Sungjae is still just a baby," Key retorted. "How did he even manage to get in there?"

"Well, Taemin leaves his bag open and on the floor," Minho mentioned.

"Must have crawled in last," Key said, looking down at the kitten.

"Well, either way, I need to get back to school," Minho said. He pat the kitten's head, then waved to his hyungs. "See you guys later. Don't let him get out again," he said as he headed out the door.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lawls, I didn't mean to name him after BTOB's maknae XD But he kind of became my bias for that >__<

anywho, here's another quicky update. This really is going to be a sort of thrown together just for fun thing.

again, if there's anything you think would be fun to see in the story, let me know! <3