Chapter Five—The Pain

Forgotten Memories

 

 

Taking a few deep breaths, the Princess closed her eyes as the moonlight shined down on her. Lifting her chin to an angle, she wished for some sort of explanation. For what? For this feeling, this aching familiarity, this painful return. As if she was begging for wings to fly, Sophia spread her arms out hoping for a way to escape. Her head was really starting to throb by then; simply because her walls were beginning to crack.

It was about time her house came crashing down.

In reality, her memories were starting to deal some serious damage to the barriers she created to block them from the start. Upon returning, it was inevitable for something to break free and start to present itself back into her mind. But it would take a whole lot more to truly tear down what she had done so long ago.

The contrasting scenery of her surroundings as she approached the open area just drove her imagination wild. There were countless questions that needed to be answered; yet a part of her knew that she wouldn't get any right now.

A husky voice interrupted the silence. "It's really you, right?"

In a breathtaking turn, the surprised girl stared wide-eyed at the individual. He was a spitting image for one of the figures in her dreams. Recollecting herself, she questioned, "Pardon me?"

"Sophia," he reiterated his intentions. Her name just rolled off his tongue, like he has been saying it daily. But that truly wasn't the case. Neither him nor his siblings have uttered it since she left them stranded.   

"Yes, that is my name," she nodded while bowing lightly to show her respect.

"It's... I... I can't—"

"Woohyun!" yelled Junhyung as he interrupted the endearing moment. He placed a hand on the Prince's shoulder, in an effort to show support and protection for Sophia's wellbeing. Focusing his eyes on the shining vampire in the midst of the moonlight, even his heart skipped a few beats just by looking at the Princess. An air of magnificence engulfed her, maybe because this kingdom was where she truly belonged.

One by one the other BEASTs and Woo brothers rushed to their vicinity. The Princess' protectors formed a barrier in between the confused girl and the just-as-lost boys. This had to be handled—correctly—or else everything would fall apart. But, that was much easier said than done, especially since all of them were extremely special beings with extremely special attributes to boot.

"I told you that you shouldn't be doing anything irrational," Junhyung readjusted himself to face Woohyun while his brothers stepped to his side, "but here you are making things more complicated than they should be."

"What is going on?" questioned the Princess. She tried to look over their shoulders, but found it was difficult to do so. There was clearly a big gap between what she knew, what the Woo brothers knew, and what the BEASTs knew; and Sophia was prepared to find out just exactly what it was. She, however, may find herself regretting that decision sooner or later.

Dongwoon slightly turned his head so he could look at her for a brief moment. "You shouldn't ask too many questions right now, Soph."

"All of you know something that I don't. And I'm obviously involved somehow. But... Why are you all acting this way? What do the Princes of this Kingdom have to do with it?"

"Not it, Soph," Hyunseung calmly replied. He found difficulty in saying his next sentence, as if a giant lump was lodged in his throat. "You."

A deathly pause struck all of them. A gulf of wind breezed by, yet no one seemed to flinch even for a brief moment. The BEASTs prepared themselves for possibly assault attempts or kidnap chances on the Woos part; while the latter tried desperately to keep calm in front of the Princess. Sophia raced through her thoughts, starting to dissect Hyunseung's words. What did he mean by that? What role does she have? What is her part in all of this?

"What do you guys know?" Woohyun growled under his breath. He wasn't the best brother to infuriate, especially since he had a knack of using violence to relieve stress; the incident with Myungsoo long ago was a clear example of that.

"What do you mean, kind sir?" grinned Junhyung as he joined his brothers' formation.

The tension began to boil to an unbelievable temperature by this time; the rate at which it was increasing was extremely exponential. Without wasting another moment, the Princess pushed aside the youngest and bulkiest bodyguards just so she could look at the Princes' faces. "How do you know me?"

"Why are you asking us how we know you? You know just—" begged the tallest member of the royal Woo family.

"She doesn't remember," interrupted the oldest BEAST.

"Doesn't remember what?"

Yoseob took a moment, collecting his thoughts and finding his words. "Anything," he whispered with the wind. What he uttered haunted all of them and had been for the past hundreds of years. The void that was obviously a part of Sophia made all of the BEASTs feel like she was living a lie.  "Everything."

"What the hell do you mean by that?! You're saying she's a hollow being?!" exclaimed the chic, model-like brother.

"I'm saying," the blonde BEAST inched closer to the vampire. His anger and self control was wearing thin, especially since he was fully capable of harming the beautiful creature in front of him. And the fact that this person was the one whom Sophia truly loved the most, didn't help at all. There was an underlying amount of jealousy mounting on him, and once he had enough, who knew what would happen. "That everything is not as it should be."

Myungsoo stood his ground. He was preparing himself for whatever sort of attack could form from their rising anger. Speaking to him and his brothers in riddles wasn't the best idea to go about revealing the truth that pained each and every single one of them for two hundred years. Actually, there was no real good way of going about the issue; but this method was the best possible. "What?"

"What you guys remember is different from what she does."

The redheaded vampire scoffed at his words. "What sort of bull is that?"

This was when things got really complicated; okay, even more complicated than it was already. "Sophia can manipulate memories; and she had done so to her own two hundred years ago," Kikwang informed the seven Princes.

"Excuse me?" the annoyance was definitely obvious in Sophia's tone. What? She can manipulate memories? Okay, what sort of bull is that, really?

Doojoon, being the oldest and second in command in terms of anything relating to Sophia, was the only one strong enough to look her in the eyes without the emotional baggage murdering him. His eyes begged for her to be open to their explanation; yet he knew that she'd be reluctant to a point. "You've asked each of us numerous times why we were different from humans and from each other. And we never came up with proper responses. Simply because we didn't know how to reply to them."

"You're not giving me an explanation," Sophia slowly began to back away from the lot. Her brain started to send her signals of discomfort and pain. Something was going on with her insides. And there was nothing she could do to stop it. "You're... You're..."

"Soph?"

Someone's eerie voice echoed in her mind. Before she could properly assess what she was experiencing, Sophia fell back as her world darkened quickly. Her body was easily caught by Yoseob, who remained to hold her in his arms as he kneeled against the grass. Without a sign of life, the BEAST listened carefully for her pulse. A faint beating indicated that she was alive, but it didn't help any of them conquer their worry.

(This will be in first person by the way)

"It's about damn time."

Someone's voice indicated for me to open my own eyes. Without even knowing where I was, the first thing I noticed was the icy cold floor beneath my frail body. The pain I was experiencing not too long ago had left my body. If anything, I actually felt great. I felt alive. Trying to assess my location, I found that everything was just a white backdrop to me. There were no walls. No clear ceilings. I couldn't even tell what sort of ground I was sitting against.

"Turn around."

Following the order, a feeling of shock thundered through my body. Staring at an exact replica of myself, gracefully sitting on a white wooden chair; it was as if I couldn't find my words. Leaning back as I collected my thoughts, I proceeded to examine the figure and vice versa. What sort of magic was this?

"You know, just staring isn't going to help either of us out," my replica giggled under her breath as she crossed her arms. "And honestly, I'm a bit disappointed that you couldn't meet me earlier."

"...Who... Who are you?" I managed to question it.

A big grin formed across her lips. There was an overwhelming air of superiority and power about this girl; something completely different from what I normally exuded. A part of me wanted to know her opinion—no matter whether or not I agreed with it. "I'm you, duh."

"No. I'm me. You're not me."

"At least you retained our hardheadedness," the replica laughed haughtily. She was extremely genuine in every way, scarily enough. It was a fact that caused me to fear it even more. This obviously wasn't normal on any level. "Okay, you're partially correct. I'm the 'you' that you caused yourself to forget."

"What?"

"I'm what you used to be."

"I've always been the same."

"For as long as you can remember, correct? And tell me, Sophia, how much do you really recall about your life before moving back to your Kingdom?"

That's where she silenced me. This replica of myself knew exactly what she wanted me to find out, yet enjoyed the fact that it would be a hard process for me to actually calculate the truth. I began to look back at all of my memories, starting from what I could remember the most—the day that I entered the kingdom, the place I now called home.

Gathering my words, I readjusted my body to try to compete with her overly confident power. "I remember moving into my home."

"Right, right," the girl laughed under her breath. "The beautiful Kingdom of Akore. Do you recall anything before then?"

"I do; I recall living with the Songs and being with Damien," I proceeded to count what I definitely knew. And well, that wasn't a lot.

"Mhmm..." she almost couldn't contain her immanent giggle. "I remember them. And I can definitely speak for the both of us when I say that we miss them, correct? But let me tell you something—or rather myself since we are one in the same—what if I were to tell you that all isn't lost? That maybe, just maybe, one is still out there for you to hold?"

"Pardon?"

"I mean, dear naive girl; that I'm here to answer that lingering question in your mind. That man, that being you saw in the party, is truly who you think it is. And you better do whatever it takes to get your answers. Because I'm hanging by my fingertips into the abyss of no return—and we both know you should never turn your back on what you want."

She stood up from her seat and began to lengthen the distance between us. I called out to her numerous times, not once yelling my name. A part of me wanted to run after her, but m feet remained glued to the floor beneath me.

"Good luck," the replica turned for a brief second, smiling a beautiful and genuine smile. "Not like you'll really need it."

 

"Soph? Sophia?" called out a lovely voice.

Sophia's next and most comfortable move was to slowly open her eyes, adjusting to the eerie disposition of the moonlight. Her head was nestled gently against Yoseob's biceps and chest, and the sweet aroma of his cologne made her feel safe and calm. A small smile formed across the blond BEASTs face. They knew there was a possibility that her passing out was an option, but that didn't mean they knew how to really handle the emotional baggage attached to it.

"Hey sleepyhead," he practically sang in a whisperlike level.

She readjusted her eyes to the handsome being infront of her. As she slowly say up, her hand brushed against her hair. Shaking her head side to side, Sophia immediately asked, "Who is he?"

"Who is who?"

"That boy, that guy I saw inside the ballroom," her instincts immediately told her to look at the seven Woo brothers. Upon staring at their eyes, a different sense of safety and comfort entered her system.  

"What guy?" Myungsoo questioned in return, trying to pinpoint just whatever information she needed to know.

She collected all that had occurred in her mind not so long ago. It truly kept her strong. "It was Damien, wasn't it?"

"Soph..." Yoseob told her in a hurried fit. He and the others were quickly flabbergasted from her words. None were prepared for what she had said, especially since it was so straightforward.

Sophia immediately lightly pushed him away from her, causing the strong arms that was around her body to loosen their grip. She wasn't sure what just happened a minute ago, if she was losing her mind or if she had died, but it didn't matter. Nothing was making sense right now and it's not like adding more nonsense to the fire would really cause any harm.

"I'm right, aren't I? That's why none of you can tell me a simple yes or no. I don't understand in any way how it's obvious that you know me," she turned to face the seven Princes, "and yet I don't recall ever meeting you aside from—"

"The nightmares," Yoseob finished her words for her.

"Dreams," she insisted.

"Memories."

Sophia immediately looked into Yoseob's eyes. The light yet bright blue ocean that easily engulfed her seemed to thrash like the open sea during a storm. She had no control over his feelings, but knew just how damaged and broken he was now. He yearned to just hold her in his arms for the rest of eternity; but couldn't seem to fully wrap them around her. He wanted so much. He needed her. He deserved her.

But, why couldn't he have her?

And in that pause, another figure made themselves known. They hadn't been in the Kingdom of Seoul for a very long time; and were just as heartbroken by how the entire kingdom turned out. It took an immense amount of courage to return, let alone an even higher amount of self control to remain as calm as they were.

This was truly the ultimate reunion of all.

"I never wanted you boys to find out this way," their voice was easily distinguishable. "But I want you to know—that everything I've ever done was to ensure that you all lived a bright and happy future."