Chapter 12

Encore
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am not using italics for this chapter because it is all a flashback

**

(March 2018)

Months melted into a blur, the initial joy of Joohyun's new job had vanished, replaced by a relentless schedule that swallowed her whole. Dinners went forgotten, texts left unanswered, and plans for weekend hikes fell apart at the last minute. Joohyun even forgot Seungwan’s birthday a month ago, the memories made the younger girl chuckled bitterly.

Seungwan, initially hopeful, felt a familiar knot of frustration tighten in her gut. This wasn't the closeness she'd envisioned. It wasn't the late-night talks, the stolen moments bathed in the soft glow of Joohyun's laptop screen as they both chased their dreams.

One particularly lonely Thursday afternoon, Seungwan found herself sat on a bench in the college park, staring at the single, blinking cursor in their last conversation. Joohyun had promised to meet for a quick lunch break, a promise shattered by a text at the last minute.

11.45 AM
From: Joohyun unnie
Swamped with work ☹️ 
Gotta stay for extra meeting, sorry!

Disappointment wasn't the right word anymore. It was a dull ache, a resignation that this was their new normal.

Just then, someone patted her back. It was Sooyoung.

"Hey, you okay? You seem distant lately." Sooyoung's usual cheerfulness was tinged with concern.

Seungwan sighed, the words spilling out in a messy jumble – forgotten lunches, canceled dates, the hollowness that seemed to have taken root in her relationship.

Sooyoung listened, the rustle of leaves in the background her only accompaniment. Finally, Sooyoung spoke, her voice gentle but firm.

"Relationships shouldn't feel this one-sided, Seungwan. You deserve someone who makes time for you, who celebrates with you. Someone who's there, not just when it's convenient."

Seungwan felt tears prick her eyes. "But I love her, Sooyoung. And I know she loves me too. It's just… this job, it's consuming her."

"Love isn't always enough, Seungwan," Sooyoung said softly. "Love needs to be shown, to be worked on. You can't keep pouring yourself into someone who isn't refilling your cup."

Seungwan's heart ached with the truth in Sooyoung's words. A part of her, the optimistic part, clung to the hope that things would change, that this was temporary. But another, quieter part whispered a painful truth – that sometimes, love can get lost in the shuffle, overshadowed by ambition.

"What should I do, Sooyoung?" Seungwan's voice was barely a whisper.

"You have to talk to her, Seungwan," Sooyoung said firmly. "Honestly and openly. Tell her how you feel. And then, you have to listen to her response. It might not be what you want to hear, but at least you'll know where you stand."

Talking to Joohyun, laying it all bare... months ago, she would have done it without hesitation. But now? She wasn't sure she even knew this girl anymore.

**

After weeks of agonizing over Joohyun, she was finally taking action. The plan was simple: a surprise romantic dinner in Joohyun's apartment because today, March 29th, was Joohyun’s birthday. Luckily, Seungwan had a spare key.

The afternoon melted away. Seungwan laid out a delicate lace tablecloth, set up candles, and scattered rose petals she'd secretly purchased earlier that day. A bottle of Joohyun's favorite wine chilled in a bucket, ready to be uncorked.

Seungwan carefully plated the main course – a pan-seared steak alongside roasted vegetables glistening nicely. For a sweet touch, she meticulously sliced fresh strawberries and whipped cream into a light, fluffy dessert.

The soft strains of jazz filled the room, a familiar melody that always made them both smile. Surely, Joohyun would remember the nights when they spent slow-dancing in her apartment.

Suddenly there was an authoritative pounding on the door.

"Who could that be?" she whispered, her eyes darting frantically around the meticulously set table.

The knocking intensified, each bang growing harsher. Swallowing hard, Seungwan cautiously crept towards the door, her mind racing.

Seungwan opened the door and three men filled the narrow hallway, their large, tattooed bodies straining the limits of her view. Their expressions were hard, unyielding.  Confusion swirled in her mind.

One of the men barked, his voice thick with an unfamiliar accent. "We need to find Kim Misook. We know she's in there!"

The warmth in Seungwan's eyes instantly froze. A deep crease of confusion shown. "I'm sorry...I think you have the wrong apartment. There's no one named Kim Misook here."

The three men exchanged glances, their expressions a mix of annoyance and disbelief. The largest of them, a behemoth with a shaved head and a scar running down his cheek, stepped closer. His voice was a low growl. "Look, lady, we don't have time for games. Kim Misook owes us money. A lot of money. Where is she?"

Seungwan felt a shiver run down her spine. "I'm telling you the truth. I don't know anyone by that name. This is my girlfriend's apartment."

The men ignored her explanation, their eyes scanning the room behind her. It took a moment for them to register the scene –  the candles, the meticulously set table, the scent of food in the air.  One of them let out a low whistle.

"Well, well," he sneered, "looks like someone's got a fancy little date night planned. Too bad your guest is in for some trouble."

Seungwan's heart pounded like a drum. Her mind raced, trying to figure out who this Kim Misook was, and how they could possibly be connected to Joohyun.  Could this be some terrible misunderstanding?

Instinct took over. Stepping in front of the doorway, she squared her shoulders despite her trembling legs. "I don't know who you're looking for, but this is private property. You need to leave," her voice surprisingly firm.

The men laughed, their voices harsh and mocking. The scarred man pushed past her, his bulk forcing Seungwan to stumble back. "Out of the way, sweetheart. We'll leave when we've found what we're looking for."

**

Joohyun's day had been exhausting, her mind preoccupied with the mundane challenges of work. As she approached her apartment door, her shoulders slumped with fatigue, hoping for a quiet evening to unwind.

However, the moment she turned the corner, she froze in shock. There, in the narrow hallway outside her apartment, stood Seungwan, bravely facing three menacing figures. Panic gripped Joohyun's chest as she registered the situation, her heart racing at the sight of those debt collectors who hadn't appeared since her mother's departure. She thought the mess had been cleared up, that she could finally move on with her life.

"Joohyun unnie.."  Seungwan's worried voice barely pierced the mounting tension.

One of the men, a wiry figure with slicked-back hair, stepped forward. His eyes narrowed as he recognized Joohyun. A sickening grin spread across his face.  "Well, if it isn't little Joohyun. And look at you now, all grown up with a fancy job. Time to pay the piper, sweetheart."

He leered shamelessly, "I let you slide when you were scrounging through university. Thought I was being kind to a pretty thing like you. But now? Well, looks like you can afford your deadbeat mommy’s mess."

The words struck Joohyun like a physical blow. Shame burned her cheeks, a familiar, bitter humiliation. In front of her, Seungwan stood frozen, a picture of utter bewilderment.

Driven by a mix of despair and fury, Joohyun snapped.

"Get out!" she shouted, her voice shaking, "This is my place. Get out!"

Seungwan moved to her side, confusion battling with her instinct to protect Joohyun. "Joohyun unnie, what's going on? Who are these people?"

A muscle twitched in Joohyun's jaw. She'd never wanted Seungwan to see this–the ugly scars of her, the desperation she'd worked so hard to hide.

"Seungwan, please," Her voice broke slightly despite her attempts at composure, "I just need you to leave. Now." She ordered, her voice sharp and cold. "This is none of your business."

But Seungwan stood her ground, her eyes flashing with defiance. "No, unnie," she said firmly, her voice trembling with emotion. "I'm not leaving you alone with these... these thugs."

Joohyun's jaw tightened, her pride wounded by Seungwan's refusal to obey her command. "I said leave, Seungwan," she snapped, her tone harsh and unforgiving. "I don't need your help. I can handle this on my own."

Tears welled up in Seungwan's eyes, hurt shining in their depths. But she refused to back down, her resolve steeling against Joohyun's harsh words. "I'm not leaving you, unnie," she insisted, her voice barely above a whisper. "I care about you too much to walk away now."

Joohyun's heart twisted with guilt and shame as she looked into Seungwan's tear-filled eyes. She knew she was being cruel, pushing Seungwan away when all she wanted was to protect her. But her pride and fear were too strong, clouding her judgment and driving her to push Seungwan further and further away.

"Seungwan," Joohyun's voice came out as a rough rasp, "I mean it. You need to go. Don't make this any harder than it has to be."  The words stung even as she said them, each syllable a fresh wound.

"Harder?" Seungwan repeated, her voice barely a whisper.  "How could you...how could you say that?"

"Because it's the truth," Joohyun hissed, her control slipping. "This is my mess, my life. You don't get involved, you don't understand."

"Understand what?" Seungwan countered, her voice rising. "Who are these people, unnie?! How could you expect me to understand if you don’t tell me anything!”

The scarred man coughed, a mocking sound in the strained silence. "Look, ladies, as entertaining as this is, we have business to attend to. Settle your love spat later." His voice dripped with disdain.

Humiliation burned through Joohyun. She turned resolutely towards the men.

"Just give me a few days," she forced out, "I'll get the money. You'll never have to come back here again, I swear."

The men exchanged glances. "We've heard that one before, sweetheart," the slick-haired man sneered.

Ignoring him, Joohyun pressed on. "I have a job, a good one. I'll get you the money, I promise."

The scarred man grunted. "Fine. You have one week. But cross us, and it won't just be money you'll be losing." The men finally retreated.

Pushing open the door, Joohyun stepped into the dimly lit apartment, her gaze immediately drawn to the flickering candlel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter