Chapter 1

Encore
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

italic text will indicate flashbacks

**

"You're incapable of loving someone, Irene. You're always a jerk like that. Always." The petite woman said, her voice trembling with anger. Tears were welling up in her sweet face.

The woman named Irene just stood there in silence. She could feel the disappointment, heartbreak, and despair of the woman in front of her.

"Don't contact me again. Our relationship is over as of this moment." The words were a death knell, severing the fragile threads that had bound them together. The young woman didn't wait for a response from the person in front of her. She spun on her heel and walked away.

Irene could only stare at the figure without being able to say anything. She wanted to scream, call out, and explain. She should have done something, but her body couldn't react. She just stared at the weak-looking back, the petite woman's shoulders shaking, indicating that she was crying hard. She walked farther and farther away until she was out of sight.

Suddenly, her head started to spin, her breath caught in , a cold sweat slicked her skin, and her vision blurred, the edges of reality dissolving into a haze of hopelessness. Again, she tried to make a sound, but it seemed like a futile effort. There was no one around her. There was no one who would help her. The young woman's words echoed in her ears.

"You're incapable of loving someone, Irene. You're always a jerk like that. Always."

Irene lay there weakly on the ground, smiling bitterly. "Ah, am I going to die like this?” she thought, her mind a maelstrom of anguish. “Alone, with no one to mourn my passing? To prove that I was, at least for a fleeting moment, capable of love?”  Gradually, everything became dark. Irene decided to close her eyes. The woman looked weak and resigned to the darkness.

**

"Srak!" A sharp rustle of a blanket being thrown back, Irene woke up from her sleep. She sat up and the cool air of the early morning sent shivers down her spine, despite the thin cotton nightgown clinging to her sleep-tossed body.

Irene's bedroom, usually a haven of calming greys and whites, felt oppressive in the dawn gloom. The familiar scent of jasmine oil, usually a source of comfort, now hung heavy in the air, tinged with the ghost of dried tears on her cheeks.

With a shaky hand, she pushed aside the tangled mess of dark hair that clung to her face. Her eyes, usually sparkling with life, were now dull. Her posture, normally upright and confident, had slumped under the weight of the recurring memories.

"When will I finally stop dreaming about that day?" Irene whispered to herself. These days, the same nightmare ambushed her, keep appearing, reminding her of the day when all of Irene Bae's self-worth crumbled, convincing her she was unlovable.

Irene's chest ached and her stomach twisted every time she remembered that incident. Even though she had tried to forget the event that happened five years ago, it seemed that everything was still fresh in her memory, as if it had just happened last week.

The woman closed her eyes and pressed her fingers to her temples. She took a deep breath, feeling the tension in her shoulders started to melt away. She held her breath for a moment, then let it out slowly, savoring the feeling of peace that came over her. She remembered what her therapist had told her, "When you feel overwhelmed, take a few deep breaths. It will help you to calm down and focus."

She sighed again, picking up the phone that was lying on the nightstand next to her bed. She squinted as the bright light from her phone hit her, and she saw that it was 4 am. She threw the phone back onto the nightstand and pulled the blanket over her head. Still hours before the world outside would demand her attention, the facade of the successful businesswoman, the strong Irene Bae.

**

In the sleek marble lobby of Artistry Creative, the creative agency where Irene worked, someone greeted Irene. "Good morning, Ms. Bae," said Ahn Yujin, the receptionist, with a smile as crisp as her tailored suit. She bowed her head with practiced grace.

Irene Bae, the epitome of polished professionalism, offered a slight nod and a thin smile in return. "Good morning, Yujin-ssi."

Before the pleasantries could settle, a booming voice shattered the calmness, bursting through the front door like a whirlwind. "Hey everyone! Rise and shine!"

Irene recognized the familiar voice. Of course, no one other than Kang Seulgi could be this energetic in the morning.

"Oh Joohyun-ah! Did you have breakfast? You look paler than a ghost haunting its own funeral."

Irene’s perfect brows furrowing, annoyed at Seulgi. "Yah, SeulGom! How many times must I remind you? No personal names at the office."

Kang Seulgi, a woman whose nickname—Bear—was an ironic testament to her lean frame and gentle nature, huffed playfully. "Well, then stop calling me a bear!" (gom means bear in Korean)

"You started it first by calling me Joohyun!"

Their playful banter echoed through the lobby as they made their way towards the elevator. Yujin, observing the exchange, couldn't suppress a giggle. Ms. Kang, the only one who could melt Ms. Bae's icy shell, was at it again.

As they stepped into the elevator, Seulgi's teasing tone softened, concern lacing her words. "Seriously, though, Joohyun, you look exhausted. Are you sick? Maybe you should go home and rest."

Irene shook her head, a humorless chuckle escaping her lips. "The dream... It's back. Haunting me every night. Bad feeling, you know?”

Seulgi's gaze held a depth of understanding. Irene was not the type of person who was comfortable sharing her feelings with others. She found it difficult to be open and vulnerable. She always presented herself as strong and confident. But five years ago, when she was at her lowest point, Seulgi was the only one who was there for her. Irene needed someone to talk to, someone to drink with, to let go of all the anxiety and burden in her heart and mind. Over shared bottles of soju and tear-stained confessions, a bond deeper than business partnerships had been forged and become a friendship.

(August 2019)

Seulgi vividly remembered Irene Bae's firm handshake during their initial meeting in the summer five years ago. At that time, they were brought together for a major project involving her company, Design Lab, which focuses on design and creative media, and Irene's company, Bae Solutions, which focuses on marketing and campaign management.

Even five years ago, Irene radiated a quiet intensity, like static in the air. Her gaze was strong, posture unwavering, and the rhythmic tap of her pen mirrored the beat of her ambition. Yet, beneath the sharp exterior, Seulgi sensed a hint of vulnerability, moments when Irene's fingers tightened around the pen or a tremor in her voice while passionately defending her ideas. Seulgi was sure Irene Bae wasn't as cold-hearted as she looked.

Seulgi believed it was impossible for a cold-hearted person to feed a stray cat in the rain. Well, Seulgi actually accidentally saw the incident. Shortly after finishing the meeting with their client, they parted ways, but the heavy rain prevented Seulgi from getting to where her car was parked. She saw Irene Bae suddenly emerged from the convenience store across the street, running in the rain. Out of curiosity, Seulgi followed her and witnessed what the cold woman was doing, without realizing that she was behaving like a stalker.

"Hi kitten, here's your food. And don't wander around in the rain like this, okay?"

"Oh my God, don't come near me."

"Don't come near me and just eat," Irene's voice sounded panicked when the small furry creature approached her.

Seulgi peeked at how Irene Bae looked scared when the kitten she had fed approached and rubbed against her leg. She laughed silently. It was obvious that this woman was actually afraid of animals, but Seulgi was increasingly convinced that Irene Bae was a kind and compassionate person.

**

Long story short, after the project with Irene Bae was finished, Seulgi was interested in working with Irene for the future projects. She offered to merge their companies. She knew that compared to Bae Solutions, her company was much larger and had a reputation. With the merger, Bae Solutions would clearly be more profitable, and considering that Seulgi's clients would no longer need to outsource marketing companies because Irene could handle that part. 

"This is a win-win for us," Seulgi declared, her voice carrying the conviction of a woman with a vision. "With you handling our marketing and campaigns, we'll reach new heights and we'd be unstoppable.

Irene listened, her gaze unreadable. Seulgi knew the proposition was bold, even daring. Merging their companies meant not just shared profits, but also shared power, shared identity. A tremor of vulnerability flickered across Seulgi's face as she added, "I know it's a big leap, but together, we could build something truly remarkable. Trust me, Irene, we can make this work."

“Ah! If you worry about the money, I don't mean to brag, but my dad is more than enough to fund our combined company. Uh, now I sound like a spoiled brat, but yeah, I mean, I will persuade my dad to invest in our company. He's the primary investor. What do you think?” Seulgi added, attempting to convince Irene.

The stoic face of Irene Bae changed, and suddenly she giggled, "Okay, fine, Seulgi-ssi. I can really see how ambitious you are."

The merger involved a bunch of paperwork, board meetings, and late-night brainstorming. Yet, under Seulgi's unwavering leadership and Irene's strategic brilliance, their new combined company, Artistry Creative, emerged stronger than ever. Together, they formed a formidable team.

One winter evening, the office was quiet, with Seulgi diligently wrapping up her review of holiday marketing campaigns. The clock on her desktop glowed 8:45 pm. She sighed, stretching her back as she prepared to call it a day.

As she stepped out of her office, she noticed a light still on in one of the office rooms—the exact room Irene occupied. Curiosity led her to Irene's office with the intention of checking on her, letting her know it was already late, and advising her not to get too swamped with work. However, what Seulgi discovered left her shocked. From behind the closed door, she heard Irene’s cry, a muffled sound—a choked sob. Now, she grappled with the decision of whether to leave Irene alone, respecting her privacy, or to ask about what happened and offer a listening ear.

Opting for the latter, Seulgi knocked several times until Irene reluctantly opened the door, revealing red, puffy eyes.

“Hi," Seulgi began, her voice a soft caress. "I didn't mean to pry, but I heard you... and I wanted to make sure you're okay."

No response

"It's alright if you don't want to talk," Seulgi stammered, fearing she'd overstepped. "I can leave you to sort things out."

No response, ", what should I do? I shouldn't be a busybody for real!" she screamed inside.

"Okay, I'll take the cue. I'll le—"

"Do you drink, Seulgi-ssi?" Irene'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter