Chapter 11

Encore
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am not using italics for this chapter because it is all a flashback

**

A month after graduation, the celebratory feast of grilled beef felt like a distant memory in Joohyun's apartment. The air crackled with a tension that hadn't been there before.

Joohyun, once the picture of academic success, was a storm cloud of frustration. Countless rejection emails littered her inbox, each one a fresh assault on her self-worth.

The resume that had garnered praise from professors felt like a useless piece of paper in the unforgiving reality of the job market. The prestigious companies she'd dreamt of working for seemed a world away, their doors firmly shut to outsiders like her. The connections that mattered, the ones built on privilege, were a currency she didn't possess.

"Another rejection?" Seungwan inquired tentatively, her voice laced with concern as she stepped into the apartment. The air hung heavy with Joohyun's silence.

Joohyun slammed her laptop shut, a harsh clatter that echoed in the stillness. "Another one," she spat, bitterness coloring her tone."Apparently, perfect grades and a decent resume aren't enough these days. You need daddy's connections to get your foot in the door."

Seungwan winced, choosing her words carefully. "Maybe we could try a different approach, unnie. Smaller companies, startups…”

"Startups? Are you suggesting I settle for some fly-by-night company with no future?" Joohyun's voice rose, sharp with anger. "I spent four years busting my in college. I deserve a decent job!"

Seungwan's heart ached for the optimistic girl she'd fallen in love with.This bitter, angry stranger felt like an unwelcome intruder. "I know it's frustrating, unnie," she said softly, her voice barely a whisper above the storm. "But giving up won't help."

"Maybe not," Joohyun snapped, a flicker of shame flitting across her eyes. "But at least I wouldn't have to feel like a failure every single day!"

The weight of their unspoken argument hung heavy in the air. Seungwan sank onto the couch, her bright smile replaced by a look of quiet worry.

Later, in the quiet of the night, Joohyun found herself curled up beside Seungwan, shame burned in her gut, a harsh counterpoint to the warmth of Seungwan's arms around her.

"Seungwan, I..." she started, her voice choked with emotion. "I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have lashed out at you."

Seungwan held her close, whispering soothing words into her hair. "It's okay to be frustrated, unnie," she murmured. "But taking it out on me won't solve anything."

They clung to each other in the darkness, a fragile truce amidst the chaos. Each apology, each embrace, felt like a temporary bandage on a growing wound. The cycle repeated itself, a relentless combination of frustration, anger, and remorse. 

Joohyun, desperate for a job, clung to her pride, lashing out at the one person who offered unconditional support. Seungwan, determined to be the pillar of strength, swallowed her hurt and tried to understand.

**

(April 2017)

The weight of another rejection email sat heavy in Joohyun's stomach. It had become a familiar feeling, a constant dull ache that mirrored the deepening tension in her relationship with Seungwan. As she slumped into the worn armchair, Seungwan entered the apartment, her usual smile strained.

"Hey," Seungwan greeted softly, "How are you holding up?"

Joohyun forced a smile. "Same old, same old. More rejection emails than I can count."

Seungwan sighed, her gaze heavy with concern. "Look, I know things have been tough lately. But I had an idea… maybe a change of scenery?"

Joohyun raised an eyebrow, a flicker of curiosity sparking in her eyes. "A change of scenery?"

"Yeah! Unnie, you've been cooped up here for months. How about a weekend getaway? My treat."

Joohyun hesitated. While the thought of escaping the relentless job hunt and the suffocating apartment was tempting, the idea of spending a whole weekend with Seungwan felt daunting in their current state.

"Seungwan, I don't know…" she began, then stopped as Seungwan surprised her by pulling out a set of car keys.

"Actually," Seungwan grinned, "it wouldn't be a getaway. More like a visit."

A strange mix of excitement and apprehension bubbled inside Joohyun. "A visit?"

"To my place," Seungwan explained, a nervous flutter in her voice. "We've been together almost a year, and you've never met my parents."

Joohyun froze. In all their time together, Seungwan had never mentioned her family in detail. Now, a thousand anxieties flooded her mind. What if they didn't approve? What if their expectations were impossibly high?

"Is that alright?" Seungwan's smile faltered, sensing Joohyun's sudden withdrawal.

Joohyun forced a smile. "Of course, it's alright. Just… I never really knew much about your family."

Seungwan's smile slowly returned. "Well, now's your chance. Let's just say, you're in for a bit of a surprise."

As they drove through the bustling city, Joohyun couldn't contain her curiosity any longer. "So, what do your parents do?" she asked hesitantly.

Seungwan glanced at her, a playful smile on her lips. "Oh, you know, the usual. Saving lives and all that."

Joohyun chuckled. "Come on, Seungwan, be serious."

Seungwan sighed. "Alright, alright. My family's actually been in medicine for generations. Grandpa's the chairman of Asan Medical Center.”

Joohyun's eyes widened. Asan Medical Center - one of the most prestigious hospitals in the country.  "Wow," she breathed.

Seungwan squeezed her hand. "Yeah, it's a little overwhelming sometimes. My Dad is a general surgeon in the same hospital, recently appointed CEO as well. My mom was a theatre actress, she’s retired now.”

Joohyun's initial excitement gave way to a gnawing sense of insecurity. This wasn't just Seungwan's family, it was a dynasty. Were they ready to meet the girlfriend of their high-achieving daughter, the one struggling to even land an interview?

"Seungwan," she started, her voice barely a whisper. "Do you think… Do you think your parents will approve of me?"

Seungwan's grip on the steer tightened. "Hey, why wouldn't they?"

Joohyun looked down at her lap. "Because I haven't exactly been…successful lately. No job, just endless rejections. What if they expect someone…more accomplished?"

Seungwan parked the car in front of a sprawling mansion that looked like something out of a K-drama in the affluent neighborhood of Seongbuk-dong. Joohyun, who had grown up in a modest apartment, amazed with the huge house in front of her.

"Unnie, listen to me," Seungwan said, her voice firm but gentle. "My parents love me for who I am. They’ll love you for who you are too, once they get to know you. And trust me," she added with a wink, "you're pretty darn amazing."

Stepping out of the car, Joohyun felt a million questions welling up inside her. But for now, she simply followed Seungwan's lead, her heart pounding a nervous rhythm against her ribs.

The moment they stepped through the door of the mansion, Joohyun was enveloped in an air of effortless elegance. Seungwan's mother, Shon Eunsook, greeted them with a smile that could melt away anyone's anxieties. She was graceful, with an easy warmth that instantly put Joohyun...well, less at ease, and more in a state of bewildered surprise.

"Welcome, Joohyun! Seungwan's told us so much about you," Mrs. Shon beamed. "It's lovely to finally meet you."

Joohyun managed a polite smile and a small bow. "Mrs. Shon, it's very nice to meet you too."

Seungwan's father, Shon Sunggyu, joined them, his kind eyes crinkling with a welcoming smile. "Joohyun, it's a pleasure. Welcome to our home."

"Thank you, Mr. Shon," Joohyun responded, her voice softer than she'd intended. Nervousness gnawed at her.

“Just call us ahjumma and ahjussi, Joohyun-ah. No need to be that formal.” Mr. Shon showed his fatherly smile.

The house was tastefully luxurious, yet there was an inviting warmth that instantly dispelled the image of cold, unfeeling wealth that lived in Joohyun's mind. Seungwan's parents guided her through the grand home, and a strange mix of intimidation and wonder battled within her. It became immediately clear why Seungwan was so bright, open-hearted, and effortlessly kind – it was a reflection of th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter