thunder: after lighting

the squirrel and the bunny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun's been in countless interrogation rooms. 

She's gotten used to the metallic sheen of the table and how cold it feels beneath her forearms when she leans over to give the person in cuffs a particular look. Yeri says she uses her 'resting face' to scare them into confessing. 

This time however, when she's been summoned by her captain to speak to a perpetrator she was sure Yeri would never let her see anytime soon, Joohyun doesn't know if she has the face to get anything out of this interrogation.

Seulgi's behind her, leaning against the glass and Joohyun's sure Yeri is behind it, watching them. 

"What did you want to tell me?" Joohyun asks Taeyeon. She tries not to show how unnerved she is by the simple smirk the other woman gives her. She doesn't look away from their intense eye contact. 

"You're very pretty, Detective Bae," Taeyeon mutters, glancing around Joohyun's features. "I see why my daughter likes you so much."

"If that's all you have to say, I'll be taking my leave then," Joohyun says and starts to get up from her seat.

"I was just making conversation," Taeyeon says cooly. "Small talk, no?"

"You're not in the position to be making 'small talk,'" Joohyun replies in a monotonous tone. "You said you'd only talk to me. Why is that?"

Taeyeon purses her lips. "Well, I doubt you'd let me talk to Seungwan and you... Well, you're her partner, are you not?"

Clenching her teeth, Joohyun shakes her head. "You've already spoken to her partner. Detective Park."

"Oh, did I?" Taeyeon chuckles breathily. "I must be mistaken then."

"You are."

A beat passes. Taeyeon bites her bottom lip with a smug, almost entertained expression that has Joohyun fuming on the inside. She's playing with her. She thinks that Sooyoung is also behind the glass with Yeri. Taeyeon must feel so giddy that she's toying with her like this because she knows that Sooyoung doesn't know.

Briefly, Joohyun considers just telling Sooyoung her identity. It wouldn't exactly be much of a big deal, considering how they're not recognised by the law as criminals anymore.

But then, Joohyun remembers how easily Seungwan's parents were able to use the fact that they knew her identity to manipulate Seungwan. The least number of people who know, the better. The safer it is.

It's not that Joohyun doesn't trust Sooyoung. Yes, she has a big mouth sometimes, but Joohyun's certain Sooyoung would be able to keep this a secret. But if there was ever a scenario in which one of Bunny's enemies caught wind that someone knew her identity, they'd be in grave danger. So far, Seulgi and Yeri are both caught up in that and Joohyun doesn't want to extend it to Park Sooyoung. She wants at least one of her closest friends to stay out of this.

"It was the Pink Bunny," Taeyeon grins. "She was our guinea pig for the beta chip. Very obedient. Submissive." Her gaze flickers to the edge of the table as Joohyun's knuckles tighten around it. "Did whatever we told her to."

"Enough," Seulgi suddenly says with a hoarse voice. "We brought Joohyun unnie here like you asked. Now, tell us what we want to know."

"And what do you want to know?" Taeyeon responds. Her cuffs clack against each other as she raises her arms in a half-shrug. "You have me and your husband here. You have evidence of our crimes. Why haven't we gone to prison, yet? Hm..? What are you missing, Detective Bae?"

"Motive," Joohyun says after a moment of silence. "Why did you do it? Surely, you knew that doing this would ruin any chance of rekindling a relationship with Seungwan. Was it really just to resurrect her grandmother?"

"I'll talk," Taeyeon sighs. "On one condition: I want to see my husband."

Seulgi takes a step forward. "Absolutely not," she says.

"Fine," Joohyun mutters, not looking back at her partner. She's not promising anything. She's just saying what Taeyeon wants to hear. Obviously, she knows Yeri's not going to give in to negotiations and Joohyun would never either. "After you tell us what we want to know."

"Promise?" 

"Yeah, whatever," Joohyun scoffs.

"Seungwan always keeps her promises," Taeyeon says. "If you break it, it'll be like you're breaking her heart, you know?"

What the is this woman saying?

"And if that happens..." Taeyeon adds, making shapes with her finger against the table. "Well, I wouldn't be able to call myself a mother if I didn't do everything in my power to punish you."

"Funny how you're making threats wearing those," Joohyun snarks, pointing at the cuffs.

"Threats?" Taeyeon scoffs lightheartedly. "I'm just saying, there would be no point in playing nice with you...protecting you or... Your secrets."

Joohyun manages a dry swallow. She hears Seulgi taking a step back behind her. 

Taeyeon's not saying anything outright, knowing that this entire conversation is being recorded. In some ways, Joohyun's glad for that--the recording can be used as evidence in court and it wouldn't seem too suspicious. But on the other hand, Taeyeon being purposely vague puts them all on edge. Like she's just playing a game with them.

"It was revenge," Taeyeon sighs. "I'm sure you know a thing or two about that, don't you?"

There's not a single ounce of movement nor reaction from Joohyun but Taeyeon can tell that she pushed the right button. 

"Your dead friend's father was always desperate for a promotion," Taeyeon begins casually. "He and another employee worked together and his friend was trying for a seat on the board. I don't know why they thought killing my mother would do anything."

On the other side of the glass, Yeri sighs and shuts her eyes--almost in defeat. Her hands curl into fists by her sides. She doesn't know if she wants to hear the rest of Taeyeon's story, because it might confirm the theory she's had this entire time.

"Kim Jennie told me that her father's friend was the killer and she would turn a blind eye to the human trials and what we were intending to do with the microchip as long as he would be the first candidate. I suppose she felt guilty. Her college tuition was expensive and they were on the verge of bankruptcy. I liked her gall in asking for hush money. It was brave of her and I accepted. My husband felt quite petty and added a description of my mother to the transaction. She must've felt even worse after that."

Taeyeon, seemed expressionless and devoid of any emotion, as if she's recounted this many times before. Perhaps all her actions in the name of revenge has desensitized it all.

"I hoped the guilt and the shame would lead her to kill herself and my sources tell me she was going to do so the night she died," Taeyeon pierces Joohyun with a half-lidded gaze. "Your birthday, if I'm correct? I suppose you could say Seungwan spared you that grief, Detective Bae."

A pin could drop in the room and it would make Joohyun's ears bleed.

"You got the wrong guy, Mrs Son," Seulgi grumbles, sauntering over to the desk in the middle of the room and slamming her hands down.

Taeyeon doesn't so much as flinch. She lazily lifts her gaze t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter