Origins: seungwan's grandmother

the squirrel and the bunny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Where are you going?" Seunghee asks, hovering outside Seungwan's room. The latter is rushing around, packing a small duffel bag of belongings. "You need to go apologise to them, Seungwan."

" off," Seungwan mutters. "I'm not the one that needs to apologise."

"Listen, whatever you think they did--"

Seungwan scoffs, hoisting her bag over her shoulder and stomping over to her in angry strides. "They DID, unnie!"

"You caused a scene at halmeoni's funeral, Wan!" Seunghee yells in a rushed, tempered voice. "Her ing funeral! I never realised you could be so immature and selfish, I guess you've always been the spoilt one out of the two of us, huh? Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you? Your bull couldn't wait another day? Did you really have to disrespect halmeoni and embarrass our entire family like that, you child?!"

"Don't worry," Seungwan grumbles, giving her a mocking look. She leans against the doorframe and looks at her sister with her crossed arms, still in black funeral attire. "I'm sure the board members and all will just see it as a bratty kid throwing a tantrum and they'll give you all the sympathy and support you're after."

"What?" Seunghee utters and her knuckles tighten as her fingers dig into the sides of her arms.

"Take over the company, Seunghee. You're the heir now, I'm leaving." Seungwan goes down the hall and she hears the clacking of Seunghee's heels right behind her.

"Where the are you going? You can't just do that," Seunghee cries out, blocking her sister's way as the elevator doors open. "Dad's going to track you down and bring you back, you know. Doesn't matter where you are or who you're staying with. Seulgi, Eunwoo, Mark, or even that chick who works at the grocery store--damn, you're really just whorin' around aren't you? Oh, halmeoni's just rolling in her grave right now."

Seunghee's diatribe falls on deaf ears as Seungwan darts past her and presses a button in the elevator. In one loud move, Seunghee has a palm pushed against the side cracks of the elevator and juts a disgusted face inside.

"Son Seungwan, not so cute and innocent, anymore are you?"  Seunghee snarls, spit laced in bitter poison. "."

"Wow," Seungwan chuckles dryly. "I'm a spoilt child and now I'm ty? That doesn't seem right, unnie."

"You are making a mess out of your life, Seungwan," Seunghee says firmly. "Wherever you run to, our parents will find you and you'll face the consequences."

"Not in this country," Seungwan mumbles under her breath, roughly pushing against Seunghee's shoulders to allow the elevator to shut. She ignores her sister's shouts as the doors close and she descends from the penthouse, wishing never to step foot there ever again.

--

"I'm really sorry to hear about your grandmother, Seungwan."

Seungwan's tired of hearing that bull. 

Her grandmother's funeral is tomorrow and she's here at Son Industries, bumping into literally everyone and no one who wants to make an excuse to talk to the heir of the company.

She's not here as an intern though, she's here as an officer of the law, with a duty to uncover the moral truth.

Her parents think she's finally immersed herself in their company thanks to her grandmother's death and she's been here on the third floor of the building for hours, searching through any files she can find on what her grandmother spoke about before she died.

"Thanks, Eunwoo," Seungwan mutters to him.

"Of course," he says, hovering by the door. "Uh, what are you doing in here? Everything's been digitalised."

Obviously, Seungwan's already scoured the electronic files the company has, even breaking into her mother's office to check her own computer but found nothing of interest. She figured if something was purposely absent, there might be a clue or something in the physical documents.

So, here she is, as she has been for the past seven hours, loading up on coffee and energy bars inside the old filing room.

"Not everything," Seungwan mutters back. She's crouched down, elbows digging through the labels of all the files in one of the cabinets.

"Can I help?"

Huffing, Seungwan shoves the file back into the drawer and opens the next one without glancing up at him. "It's alright, I got it."

"Well," Eunwoo nods. "If I can help ease your troubles in any other way..."

The tone of his makes Seungwan's brow quirk up curiously.

"I'm here if you ever need me," Eunwoo says. "Coworker, friend, whatever..."

Seungwan inclines her chin and flashes a dimple at him. "I might take you up on that, actually," she says. "But, hey... maybe you can help me, right now."

"What here?" Eunwoo blinks and steps closer inside, shutting the door behind him. "It's a bit... scandalous, isn't it?"

That makes Seungwan chuckle and she shakes her head. "Not that. I meant about what I'm looking for," Seungwan tells him with an amused eye. "Work-related. Do you know anything about Son Industries' history in the mining industry?"

"Mining?" Eunwoo asks. "What are you working on?"

"Uh, just my mum... She asked me to make a report on it," Seungwan lies.

"Ah, maybe you'll be overseeing some kind of expansion further into that area when you climb the ranks?" Eunwoo suggests. "Anyway, I did hear a rumour--quite old and it never popped up again--that Son Industries was developing some super advanced technology for the purpose of mining. Apparently, it was supposed to change the industry itself, but nothing much has really happened since then so I guess it wasn't true."

"Hm, and how long ago exactly was this supposed to happen?"

Eunwoo purses his lips and walks over to the other side of the room, searching for the date labelled beside all the drawers. "Here," he says, waving a hand around a certain section of the cabinets in which documents were filed over five years ago. "It'd have to be around here somewhere."

"Thanks," Seungwan quickly says, dropping the files in her hands and stuffing them back into place before rushing over and moving her investigation there.

"Can I help here anymore?"

Seungwan shakes her head. "I got it, thanks. But... I'll see you tonight?"

"Sure," Eunwoo smiles. "Mine or yours?"

"Yours," Seungwan says, opening a file. "Same time."

--

"Wannie, there's no more sugar!"

Seungwan sighs and walks into the kitchen, seeing Seulgi rifling through the kitchen. "Aw man, already? I could've sworn we just bought a bunch."

"You did. It just went right into the bin because someone poked a hole into every single one," Seungwan's grandmother says, sitting by the counter and staring pointedly at Seulgi.

"That's not true! I just dropped them! The floor poked holes, not me!" Seulgi argues and Seungwan rolls her eyes affectionately before patting her back.

"It's okay, Seul. I'll just go run to the store."

"I'll come with you, Seungwan-ah," her grandmother says. "Seulgi, can we trust you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter