내 사랑 - My Love

To My First Love,
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

FIVE YEARS AFTER

 

“I like you.” 

“Jeong Jaehyun, I like you.” 

I tried to come up with an answer but the words somehow got stuck in my throat. I was about to step forward but my feet wouldn’t move. 

“See you around.” Those were her last words before walking away. I called for her name but no sound came out. I tried to ran up to her but something was stopping me. I looked down and noticed the cold pavement seemed to have vanished. And then I was slowly sinking. I couldn’t move. I stood still and let the black liquid me into it. And then….

 

I frantically sprung up from my bed as I tried to catch my breath. I soon calmed down, realizing I was in my room. My childhood bedroom. I turned to look at the clock, it was five in the morning and simultaneously my alarm went off.

It was still dark out, the sun was still out of sight and the whole neighborhood was quiet. It was the perfect time for me to go for a run. I always enjoyed running outside compared to doing it on a treadmill. It always felt different for me. It was probably because of the cold breeze roughly brushing against my face or the stillness of my surrounding. Or maybe it’s the sudden surge of serotonin. 

I saw mom putting on her shoes as soon as I got in. It was quite unusual seeing her leave so early knowing how much of  a homebody she was. 

“Oh! There you are, sweetie! Where were you?” She asked. “I went for a ran.” 

“Are you going somewhere?” She smoothened her hair a few more times before finally acknowledging me, “I’ll just buy a few things from the grocery. Do you want to come?”

I shook my head, “It’s fine. I need to shower.” 

Mom leaned forward, taking a sniff. Her face scrunched up quickly, covering her nose, “I think you should.” 

“Ha ha, very funny, Mom.” I deadpanned. She tapped my cheek affectionately then pinching it. “I was only kidding”

“Mom, it hurts.” I exaggerated. She lets go as she rolled her eyes at me. “There’s breakfast on the table. Be sure to eat it.” She bids goodbye before closing the door. 

I took a quick shower upstairs and then straightly went downstairs to heat up my food. I was looking through the fridge for some pickled radish when I heard the front door opening. That’s probably Mom. She’s back early.

I heard her footstep coming towards the kitchen. “Mom! Are we all out of pickled radish already?” I asked, but I didn’t hear her answer. 

I slightly closed the fridge door as I turned around to ask again. “Hey, Mom! Isn’t there—“ 

I stopped when I saw a different person standing by the frame. It wasn’t a stranger or an intruder. I knew this person very well. Once. 

“Hey.” She awkwardly greeted. 

“Hey, A—“ My eyes widened realizing I wasn’t quite dressed for this accidental meeting. Literally. “Oh ! Sorry!” I draped the small bath towel that was hanging on my shoulder as if it was enough to cover my whole body. “Uh, can you wait for me in the living room? This isn’t—“

She swiftly walked away, “Yeah. Got it.”

I ran up to my bedroom and put on the clothes I could find. I ruffled my hair with the towel and quickly raked my hair through my fingers. I then sprinted my way to the living room where I found her sitting by the sofa. 

“Hey,” I said as I straightened myself up. 

“Hey,” she immediately shot up from her seat,“….again.”

Silence followed. We both stood there not knowing what to do or how to start. Well, to be honest, I had it all planned out in my head if ever I accidentally see her again. I would greet her. Ask her how she’s doing. Saying sorry for what happened five years ago. And then hoping that we’ll be back to normal. 

But seeing her again with me almost fully wasn’t what I had in mind. 

I cleared my throat, “I’m really sorry about that. I thought it was my mom so I—yeah— really sorry.” Even though she had seen me only in my swim trunks whenever we go the beach during the summers, it didn’t bother me before but why do I feel embarrassed now. 

I groaned covering my face. “Ugh! I hate this! Why did you have to suddenly walk in?”

“Huh? What do you mean?” 

I sighed in defeat, admitting, “Nothing ever goes right with me.” 

And then I heard a faint laugh. “Oh my god. I can’t believe a 4-year kpop idol is mopping in front of me just because I saw him on a towel.” She chuckled, “Don’t worry, I’ll make sure to compliment your abs online.” 

I stared at her and this is the first time I got a good look of her. Not much has changed. Physical appearance wise, it was still the same hazel brown eyes that kept me drawn. And still the same sweet smile she always had on. But somehow, her aura has changed. The way she carried herself, simple but sophisticated. I would be lying if I say I don’t feel intimidated by it. 

“I m—“

The door opened and I heard mom calling for me. “Jaehyun! I’m back. Where are you, sweetie?” 

She went to greet her while mom sounded surprised to see her. “Ari! You’re here! When did you get home? How was your aunt Hyewon? Have you see Jaehyun already?” 

“Mom! Stop interrogating Ari already. She just got here.” I took the bags from her, putting it at the kitchen. “I just got home a while ago and I just came to drop off the tangerines from Imo.” 

“Oh! Thank you so much. Have you eaten already? I can go and whip up an omelette for you if you l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter