???

???
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

07:00 - in front of my house

 

Tying my hair, I'm staring at Oh Sehun. He's always looking for excuses to hang around me. Most of the times, I'm not thrilled especially when he announces we’d be hiking together. Despite the constant teasing that we receive from our friends, he's persistent to keep doing that.

"Go change your pajamas or something. We're going to the Mount Everest to make you happy." His punctuation comes in a grin like he's mocking me.

Alright. I'll remember that. I'll mark this day. 

The morning is quiet and breezy but nothing about this morning transforms whatever remains from the night into  optimism. Maybe because he came to my door uninvited when I was still so sleepy. In his black jacket with many pockets, layering whatever he's wearing underneath, he pairs his top with his trousers which are also black.

He's dressed up like he's going to a funeral except he isn't.

There's a little part of me that just wants to go for it then he would be so proud of me for being so happy on the day before his enlistment. His family has planned a dinner before sending him to a war and he wants me to be happy?

Thank you. I feel everything but happy.

We began this friendship since we started high school and just a few weeks ago we completed our gap year in a nursing home.

And just because we’re friends doesn’t mean that I need to understand his big decision to be so secretive about his due date before serving to this beloved country in the military. Oh, I don't really love our country, not in a way. Because I reckon I'm more patriotic to the country that doesn't exist a la Attack on Titans fans. But that's not the case.

I know that this day's coming. It's mandatory for every male citizen. God, I learnt that since grade school. What I didn't know is that he's doing it now when I thought we would take the entrance exam together, aiming the dream university and probably celebrating a failing grade curved up to a passing grade when later we're determined enough. He wants to be a vet and my mother convinced me that it's also the best choice for me.

However, it's now a crashed dream. I'm not being dramatic. No, no. It's just that I'm beyond betrayed by a friend who's been sharing his path with me since babies--

Oops.

...

...

Okay, I lied about us being friends since starting high school.

Let's start it again.

First of all, I'm not a liar. That's because I hopelessly want to erase the fact that I knew him (but he didn't know me) since the sixth grade.

Our mothers know the truth.

Long story short, they're the ones who began the friendship since high school and took a stupid oath as best friends forever who'd paint an arranged marriage for their children. That's the fact number two that I also want to erase.

Yes, by default I'm going to marry this clueless who knows nothing about our mothers' silly wedding plans for us.

And oh my god, has he really just smiled while convincing me again that an idea of going hiking before the enlistment day is something worthy while I'm secretly wishing that the wedding for us will never happen?

"Come on! It's going to be exciting!" He's talking about the hiking. Not about the wedding plans. "Enough with your inner monologue about me," he pauses to wear his cap that has been in his back pocket. "The mountains are calling and I must go," he says before pivoting on his heel, leaving me to get ready for the questionable outing which I never imagined doing.

~*~

07:45 - at the foothills, xxx mountain

 

If Sehun has paused to marvel at the view,  to my eye from I'm standing by a shop where Sehun bought snacks and water for us, the peaks of the hill look like the boring graph of rocks and shrubs. And trees and grass... that I admit I need to touch.

Ugh! I won't admit it out loud.

"Seriously," I kick a stone and it lands perfectly on his shoe. "Who influenced you that you think it's a good idea to go hiking like this?" I ask because I can't let him forget how annoyed I am for being interrupted in the morning by his hiking invitation.

The giggle that precedes his answer announces that he's really excited. "I just didn't want to feel bad doing this positive activity without you."

"You sound like a counselor with their busines

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter