Ch. 1

Lament Heart

 

The sound of alarm wakes her with the most awful headache, she gets up, it seems that headaches are a re-occurring thing nowadays.

“Unnie turn off your alarm.” She hears besides her an unfamiliar voice. Opening her eyes, she reached out to the side table and pressed off on her phone alarm, looking around she realized it was not her room, just where in the world was she.

Getting up from the bed she put her hand on her head groaning. A hand grabbed her wrist pulling her back down. And a kiss was planted on her lips.

“Good morning.” The unknown girl said with a smile, Yujin filched back. Just why did her morning start off like this, an unknown girl kissing her, in an unknown room. Again.

“Unnie, what’s wrong?” The girl giggled. Followed by “You don’t remember last night?” Yujin just let out a small scoff. Of course, she remembers. She went out to a bar and downed down drinks till a beautiful woman approached her asking if she’s here alone, though she couldn’t remember the face very mu- oh, that her.

Yujin pulled back, getting up realizing she didn’t have much clothes on, she sigh putting on her jeans.

“Yujin-shi?” said the girl, Yujin froze. - Of course, She knew her. The girl let out a laugh.

“Relax.” They locked eyes.

 “You know I can’t tell anyone, that’s a career suicide.” Turning on her stomach, she looked at Yujin with pitiful eyes. Yujin hated that more than anything.

“It’s a secret” with a smile she put her index finger to her lips. Yujin just wanted to run away more than anything, she’s light-headed and her stomach feels awful from the night before. She wants-No- She needs to get out of here.

Nodding stiffly towards the girl she grabs her phone from the table and walks away fast before the walls close on her.

Leaving the room, she walks to the door of the small apartment. Putting on her hoodie she puts her hands in the pocket and looks for her mask.

-

Could this morning get any worse, she let out a sigh and decided to just go out like that. Walking out of the apartment she looks around, a young group of friends, she assumes, walking down the road, laughing together, pulling her hoodie down she walks the opposite side. It’s such a sunny and beautiful day with birds chirping unlike the state she is in; she hates how it made feel so disgusted with herself.

Looking at her phone. 8:26 AM. - IVE had a meeting at 9 AM for their new comeback and here she was, the leader of the group leaving an unknown apartment about half an hour before it. Grabbing a taxi, the second she saw one. She got in it, telling the driver the directions. Closing her eyes, she leaned back and sighed.

 

 

“Unnie!” Leeseo exclamated excitedly.

Yujin let out a small smile while walking to the meeting room, seeing her maknae that happy to see her even though she had seen her the day before. Approaching the room leeseo held out her hand for her favorite unnie to take, and of course, Yujin took it.

Walking in the room, she saw the other members sitting around the table with the manager and a director, Gaeul sends her a disapproving look as soon as she saw her. Yujin always felt like Gaeul knew what she does in her free time without telling her anything and the disproving look burns her every time, Yujin gulped and lowered her eyesight, she let go of leeseo hand. Walking to her seat, she sits down without saying anything.

She felt all eyes on her. She felt judged, she hates it-she hates it all. Looking up to the manager. “Sorry am late, Let’s start.” She says bowing to him and the director sitting beside him.

The manger sighs, clearing his throat, then starts the meeting.

 

“That all.” The director said getting up. Everyone gets up and bows, when the director walks out the girls looked at each other smiling and laughing all except Yujin. With a blank expression she grabs her phone from the table, during the entire meeting she just wanted to go home and wash off all the disgusting memories of last night off her, maybe the water could wash away her headache too. The other girls started to leave the meeting room.

“Yujin-shi.” The manager said stopping her in her tracks. “I need to talk to you.” She was almost at the door.

“In fact, Wonyoung-shi I need to talk to you too.” He said, Yujin turned around locking eyes with Wonyoung who was behind her. That was the first time in a while that she saw her- really saw in the eyes. Turning her gaze to the manager “Why?” she asked.

“Sit down.” He gestured to the chairs.

Yujin lets out another sigh. Her head started to hurt her more. Walking back to the chairs Yujin and Wonyoung sit down facing the manager.

“Wonyoung-shi I know you’re tired, you just came back from Paris at midnight so I’ll try to keep it short.” He starts looking at Wonyoung. “The comeback will overlap with your personal schedule a lot, so we have to talk about it in detail later and decide how to make it work.” Yujin sees Wonyoung nod in her side vision. No matter how tired or sleepy Wonyoung is, she’s always polit and doesn’t get irritated, Yujin has always seen that and admired that side of her. Even though she wishes Wonyoung would argue with the managers and company about her schedule instead.

“And you, Yujin-shi” The manager said with a strict tone looking at her. Yujin looked at him with a blank expression. He sighed, putting his hand in his hair clearly exasperated. “Look, I don’t care about what you do on your personal time, just put more effort as a leader of IVE.” He said looking at her directly. “It’s been almost a year since IVE debuted, but you’ve been an idol for years now, and I know that you care about the girls and work. So, act more like it. The girls look up to you, don’t disappoint them. Don’t disappoint us.” Great. She just needed this. The manager scolding her, especially in front of the person she didn’t want to hear this the most. Her head starts to throb in pain. Wonyoung probably noticed that Yujin had been off for a while now but she’s too busy to even bring it up. Or maybe she doesn’t so that Yujin doesn’t run away, scared of confrontation. She felt Wonyoung eyes on her and even though she had so much to say back to the manager, her headache didn’t allow her plus she didn’t want to argue with him in front of Wonyoung, the younger is probably so tired and couldn’t wait to go home. Ignoring the eyes burning the side of her face, she said “I will oppa, sorry.” Bowing her head slightly. Her day just keeps getting worse, he let out another sigh and dismissed them both. Yujin gets up quickly and leaves the room without sparing the two another glance.

The drive back was silent as both Yujin and Wonyoung were tired, the other members talked quietly giggling the whole ride.

Reaching the dorm, the girls walk in with Yujin tailing behind them, closing the door to the dorm, she felt like she was dragging her feet to her room.

“Yujin-ah I need to talk to you.” Gaeul said to her in a serious tone. Yujin stops walking and looks up to see everyone was looking at them now curious, even Wonyoung, before the younger turns and goes to her room. She doesn’t know why that kind of sting. She nodded at Gaeul, opening the door, and letting her in her room.

 

Gaeul walks to Yujin’s bed and sits down all too comfortably like it’s second nature to her.

 “Where were you last night?” she asks her seriously. She just starts the conversation right to the point, Gaeul has always been like that, too straightforward, Yujin always loved that about her but in moments like these, she despised it.

Yujin looks at her and sigh for the hundred time that day, putting her hand through her hair, her habit, while closing her eyes “Unnie-”

“Am worried about you. Everyone is.” Gaeul adds “You’ve been out at night a lot and coming home the next day without even answering our calls or texts.” She gets up, approaching Yujin with a worried expression and tearful eyes.

Yujin looks at her and gulps, she can tell that the older is worried about her though she can’t tell her what she’s been doing. It’s disgusting- she disgusts herself, drinking and sleeping with strangers, just drowning her sorrows anyway she could.

Silence fell between them, Gaeul looked at Yujin with so much empathy almost- pitifully, she hated receiving these looks the most, Yujin didn’t want to worry her, she didn’t want her unnie to look at her pitifully.

“I’m okay” Yujin lets out, she herself didn’t believe those words, how would Gaeul even believe her.

 

A few seconds pass.

 

 Gaeul probably patiently waited for her to open up to her,

 

 Yujin could not.

 

 Gaeul nodded understandingly and Yujin felt anger towards herself, hating how she just can’t bring herself to talk no matter what while her unnie was being patient with her instead of being mad.

A hand rested on her shoulder “You know you can tell me anything.” It’s like Gaeul could see through her, Yujin looked to the side afraid that she could see her broken self. Yujin nods but knows she would never tell Gaeul- or anyone else for that matter, they don’t deserve to be burdened with her hurt.

Gaeul sighs and leaves the room leaving Yujin alone, just like Yujin have always been,

 

alone.