The Tape (Side A and B)

Vintage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This was originally written as Freenbecky however due to the current situation, this was requested to be changed to TaeNy. Thank you for understanding and enjoy!. ^^

A platinum blonde woman with strong facial features walked inside a familiar room with dirty white painted walls. Her curly locks bounced flawlessly by her shoulder as she reached the cabinet where her most prized possession lies.

Her fingers passed by books, some limited edition toys, and rectangular thick black video tapes that were unmarked. She fiddled over the random ones until she finally reached the one she was looking for with that pink-colored writing on the blank space.

Taeyeon <3 Tiffany

A huge smile plastered on Tiffany Hwang’s face as she examined the vintage video device on her palms. She meticulously examined each side to make sure that there were no dents or dust in it while she was away.

It’s been a hectic year and she hasn’t visited her house for a while. Satisfied, she put the magnetic tape on top of the clean table so that she could prepare herself. It has been her habit to watch these memories when she has the time to reminisce.

She craned her neck sideways to remove the clog of her veins. To get ready, she pulled the sleeves of her white oversized polo midway to her arms, brushed her hair into one using her fingers, and tied it with her pink ponytail. 

Albeit loosely tied, she knows that she would still look as beautiful as ever. 

She grabbed the VHS tape and went to the video cassette player of a known brand. It was hooked properly to a widescreen that would highlight the aspect ratio of the video, the standard 4:3. It is 2023 yet Tiffany finds her solace in weird vintage stuff than the usual HD streaming.

She pressed the “On” button of the appliance then the slot opened so that she could insert the videotape. It made that familiar “wheezing” sound when it loaded the media and she grabbed the remote so she could control it from her bed just adjacent to the screen.

She placed herself against her fluffy pillow and silently beamed that the player cost a fortune yet it was worth it as it functioned as how she wanted it to. Wasting no time, she pressed the “Play” button and put her head above her hands like a princess.

And their cherished moments unfolded in her very eyes.

Tape 1 Side A

“Ready to go, babe?” the brunette asked the blonde woman who stood a few inches smaller than her with that charming smile that adorned her beautiful face. The blonde could only stare at the woman for 3 seconds, caught her breath into a loud exhale then blinked.

It was like Tiffany malfunctioned in front of Kim Taeyeeon.

Taeyeon could only flash a small smile at the younger woman who was bleating red in front of her. The rose-colored cheeks were just too adorable not to pinch so she did without hesitation, knowing full well that the shy reaction was just natural.

“You okay?” the older one asked worriedly. 

“Aa–ahhh. Yes.” Tiffany finally answered, then her gaze lingered on her palms. Then she lifted her hands so she could clasp them together and intertwined their fingers. “Let’s go babe.” This time, her voice was much clearer than the last.

The two women who were holding hands stole a glance at the quiet library where most of their schoolmates were pulling their hair to finish their schoolwork deadline. Once they were sure that no one was looking, they quickly fled to the backdoor which led to the car park.

Taeyeon was leading the way while Tiffany was just staring at their clasped hands together. She bit her lip to stifle the wide smile that was threatening out of her face. She really didn’t have to but her introverted nature was taking over.

Upbeat music played with every hit of the bass beating like the sound of her heart pounding in her chest. It was so fitting with the way that they were running towards wherever Taeyeon was taking her.

Well, it’s Taeyeon.

And for Tiffany, she would follow without questions because she loves her. Two healthy amounts of hairs swayed flawlessly against the wind as they continued running at the same pace with excited grins on their faces.

They were the picturesque interpretation of young love in its full bloom.

Instead of the usual motorcycle they’d use to travel at night to watch the stars, Tiffany was flabbergasted to see a red pickup truck waiting for them. She looked at her lover with a questioning gaze.

“I may…or may have not sneaked my daddy’s new baby out.” Taeyeon nonchalantly announced with a cool shrug of her shoulders. Tiffany was taken by how the long-sleeved uniform hugged her taller frame, the white vest contrasted her dark hair, and the tie neatly tied on her neck while she played around the car keys on her ring finger with that smirk on her face.

‘She looks really cool.’

“But…won’t you get in trouble for that?” Tiffany rationally queried, nervous about the outcome of her naughty antics. 

“What he doesn’t know won’t kill him.” Taeyeon cheekily answered and opened the passenger door for her girlfriend. 

“But…” The refusal fell on deaf ears as the older one pushed the blonde to take the seat and even clasped the seatbelt on for her, locking her in place. Knowing that the hesitation wasn’t unfounded given their strained relationship with the man of the family, Taeyeon gave the passenger princess an assuring smile.

“Trust me…it’ll be fine.” With that, she closed the door and ran to the driver’s seat to not make her wait. Tiffany giggled at the goofiness of her lover. Everything that Taeyeon does makes her swoon.

As soon as the driver stepped in, she opened the engine and expertly maneuvered the pickup with backward driving. Taeyeon's neck craned back and forth from the rearview mirror and the back of the vehicle. “Go ahead and be our DJ.” 

The younger one did the honors and connected her mobile device to the Bluetooth speakers. A chill RNB music intro played as they reached the highway. They stared at each other from the rearview mirror and smiled like a fool.

It always felt light around her.

We can take the long way

We'll get there even if it takes all night

We'll talk until the morning

Don't tell me that you're fine if you're not fine

“How are you today?” The driver started the conversation since she knew that Tiffany would just be content with the silence. Her presence was enough for the younger one yet she was curious. Meanwhile, Tiffany’s heart fluttered with the simple question.

Taeyeon cares about her well-being.

“Sometimes, I wish I could strangle our professor because who the hell wants a detailed review of Inferno in 7 days?” Tiffany complained that being a literature student in their university where the most famous writers are hailed is hell.

“Dan Brown’s book?”

“No! The original Dante one.”

“Tough choice.” Taeyeon agreed, her eyes still on the road. “He deserves your wrath.”

“How about you? What’s up?”

“Boring…I don’t like talking about money.” The driver rolled her eyes. She was taking up a Business course as dictated by her father. If she had a choice, she’d be taking Theatre instead so that she could hone her acting skills.

“Silly…” 

Silence ensued between them while the soothing playlist filled the air. Knowing Tiffany’s preference for the cool air from the trees as they trailed up the mountaintop, Taeyeon silently opened the windows and turned off the air conditioning.

The silent gesture delighted the younger one and she placed her hands over the driver’s hand that was resting by the shift gear. Nothing was funny but their mouths automatically turned into that wide smile as if someone shared a silly joke.

Baby, you (yeah)

Are bringing out a different kind of me

There's no safety net that's underneath, I'm free

Fallin' all in you

As if it were a romantic movie’s soundtrack, the pop song fits the vibe because Tiffany finds herself falling further into Taeyeon’s ways. On that weekday afternoon when the car followed the highway towards the outskirts of the town where their private sanctuary was placed, she felt infinite with her.

As if it wasn’t enough that they managed to come to the spot right on time for sunset to come, Taeyeon prepared a small picnic for them to eat on the overlooking spot. They sat beside each other as they munched on pizza and grapes. 

It was an odd combination but so were they. 

They were given a magnificent view of the full moon with stars shining brightly around it. The city lights also rivaled the beauty of the night sky. The night breeze was particularly harsh at that side of the city but Taeyeon’s broad shoulder was enough to keep Tiffany warm.

It was a perfect date. 

“I wish time would stop.” Tiffany mindlessly said as she played with Taeyeon’s fingers. The older one kissed the crown of her head then patted her lovingly, “Rather than wishing for the time to stop, I am imprinting this moment in my mind. I’ll never forget this good view. And I’ll never let you go.” Taeyeon declared out of the blue.

“I love you so much, you know?” Tiffany felt euphoric with what she heard and she couldn’t help but confess. 

“And I…love you too.” Taeyeon answered before kissing the back of her fingers.

The crickets were heard, there were occasional car engines heard from the highway on the back and the peaceful view was the only witness to their declaration of love. 

Yet for Tiffany, that was more than enough.

Tape 1 Side B

Baby, you and me are a twisted fantasy

Buckle up and take a seat

Hold on tight

The techno song played on the car stereo as Taeyeon and Tiffany took the familiar road going to the younger’s apartment in the city. The moon and the stars are still bright as the blinding light of the buildings tries to compete with the beauty of the sky.

Silence accompanied the two as the speakers played the familiar beat of the famous girl group song.

“You okay?” The driver’s voice made Tiffany look at her shyly.

Taeyeon’s effect on her would just not change. Even if they basically had the same conversation earlier, the excitement and the tingly feeling were just the same. That part that Taeyeon cares so much about her well-being and comfort screams so much about her companion as a person.

“Of course!” Tiffany answered in a high-pitched voice then bit her lower lip because she sounded too enthusiastic. She doesn’t want the older one to think too weirdly of her but changing her answer would be too suspicious.

“That’s good.” Thankfully, Taeyeon didn’t say anything about her overexcited stance nor about it. The older one took a deep sigh as she focused on the road since they were going to cross a spotlight.

“Yeah…are you okay?” the bland reaction didn’t slip past Tiffany’s observant eyes.

“I’m just tired.” Taeyeon answered honestly though she didn’t look at Tiffany at all. Her eyes are just focused on the road like the responsible driver that she was. The latter didn’t mind, she’d rather have the driver not be distracted when driving.

Besides, she knew what the anxiousness was about.

They are back to reality - to the city where things and situations are much more complex than her feelings and emotions. They needed to snap out of the delusion that they momentarily slipped into at the spur of the moment.

Tiffany can only swallow the lump in as she forces herself to keep up the happy facade. She couldn’t have Taeyeon seeing her so weak when they were both fighting the expectations that people imposed on them. 

If only Tiffany could take the burden off of Taeyeon, then she’d take it.

But sometimes, they can only do so much for the people you love. So she’d just be there, on the sidelines, and quietly support her. She would do whatever it takes to make her happy, even if that means getting the most of what she can give.

She deserves what she tolerates.

Tape 1 Side A (Part 2)

“What do you want to eat?” Seohyun, Tiffany’s classmate, asked her as soon as they stepped inside the crowded cafeteria of their university. The blonde mindlessly looked around as she fiddled with the hem of her long sleeves.

She lazily scanned the menu while clicking her tongue. To say that she was not having a good day, was an understatement. She had 3 back to back 1 and a half hour classes all morning and she almost failed an impromptu recitation earlier.

Scratching her wavy hair even if it wasn't itchy, she irritatedly glanced at the unappetizing display of food choices again. She was hungry, tired, and exhausted yet it seemed that their food preview wasn’t gonna fill her famish.

She grumbled even more when at the corner of her eyes, she spotted a brunette that she knew so well. Taeyeon was sitting there on a bench with a man so hauntingly close to her that it made her blood boil. The two of them were busy discussing something in front of her laptop.

They were so close that they almost exchanged faces.

Feeling mor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter