Part 2: Jaehyo

The Childbirth Scenarios: Block B

 

 

“Jaehyo,” you call weakly from the hospital bed, one hand balling up the blankets tightly in your fist and the other pressing against your bulging stomach. He’s by your side in an instant as you call his name again.

“What is it sweetheart?” He asks, clutching your hand as you release the blankets. You let out a grunt of discomfort as the baby kicks and shoves in your stomach.

“When…when they come in, don’t let them get to you, okay? Ignore anything they say.” A stony look crosses over his face as he registers your words. Of course your parents would be coming. They had to see their new grandchild, even if they hated his father.

“And promise you’ll stay by my side, okay? Even if they tell you to get out. Don’t…” You trail off and moan in pain again as the room begins to fill with doctors. “Don’t listen.” He nods obediently and the doctors crowd around you, preparing for your baby to be born. Your hair is matted to your forehead with sweat and you cry out, trying not to squeeze Jaehyo’s hand too tight but failing miserably as your nails sink into his skin. He doesn’t wince of falter, just whispers sweet words in your ear as you grimace from the pain.

When the loud cry of your child shatters the air around you, you breathe a heavy sigh of relief, accepting scattered kisses over your face from Jaehyo with a smile. He brushes your hair from your face and you shut your eyes, physically and mentally exhausted, as the doctors clean up your son and bring him over to the two of you.

You hold him tightly in your arms as he coos softly, eyes still shut and miniscule fists clenched. Jaehyo watches his little face in awe. “He has your nose,” he says, smiling widely.

“And your lips,” you reply, brushing your fingertip over the little pink mouth. The baby squirms and lets out a few scattered cries before sinking into a steady rhythm of sleepy breaths.

“We’re going to move you to a different room now, Miss. You can take other visitors there as well,” the doctors says. You nod in response as they wheel the bed to a new room, settling you in comfortably. Jaehyo sticks by your side, even when they announce the new visitors.

Your parents step into the room, your mother crooning over the little boy. You welcome her with a weak smile and try to ignore the sharp glares she throws at Jaehyo. You knew that your parents hated him for being with you, hated him for not being the boy they wanted you to be with. When you had run off to marry him, ignoring their protests, you had only managed to set their hate in stone.

“He’s beautiful,” you mother says, the soft dark downy hair on top of his head. You nod in response, sighing lightly and taking Jaehyo’s hand again as she holds your son. Your father smiles and examines the little baby beside your mother. Jaehyo’s grasp trembles slightly in your own and you can tell he’s nervous.

“Well, at least now that you have a baby together we can be positive he won’t go running off.” It takes a moment for your mother’s words to sink in. She really thought Jaehyo was going to leave you?

Jaehyo is silent for a moment, staring at the place where your hands are locked together. Anger flares up and your cheeks burn red. “Mother, could you please not? I don’t want to hear you talk about my husband like that.”

She scoffs lightly but keeps her eyes focused on the little bundle in her arms. “I would hardly call him a husband. A real husband makes a good salary and doesn’t act out without thinking.”

Oh, if you thought you were angry before, you were a whole new level of furious now. How dare she try and insult the love of your life like that. Especially right after her grandson had just been born.

“A real husband? You think Jaehyo doesn’t qualify as a real husband? For your information, he has been supportive this entire time, never once losing his patience with me every time my hormones shifted and I lashed out at him. He has been working several jobs to ensure we had a good stable amount of funds to give this baby the life he deserves. And you have the nerve to say he isn’t a real husband.” You shake your head in disgust as Jaehyo stares at you in wonder.

“And I’d like my baby back please. Come visit me later when you have something nice to say to my family.” Your mother’s eyes are dark with fury as she places the baby in your arms and hurries out of the room with your father in tow, eyeing your husband in disgust.

You sigh and settle back into the pillows as Jaehyo your hair softly. “I’m sorry,” he whispers. You shake your head quickly.

“You have nothing to be sorry for,” you answer. “You’ve done nothing wrong. You’re absolutely perfect, and if they don’t want to see that then they can leave us alone.” He smiles widely before pecking your lips softly.

“I love you,” he says quietly, letting his fingers trace over your babies downy tuft of hair and meeting your gaze. You smile and snuggle close to his chest.

“I love you too,” you answer, grateful for the fact that even if certain others didn’t realize it, you had the most perfect little family in the world.