chapter ten

bleeding clandestines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoohyeon couldn't help but break out in a smile as she took in the sight of the beautiful arrangement of flowers that had been hand-delivered to her workstation at the office. She cradled them in her hands and took a fleeting sniff of the petals, and as the heavenly fragrance permeated the room, all of her feelings of sadness and stress began to melt away.

She was ready to snap some pictures of the bouquet when she heard some soft knocks on her door. Shortly after that, a young woman wearing a beaming grin walked into the vampire's office.

"You finally received the flowers," She commented, and the sound of her voice just made Yoohyeon’s smile grow even wider. "Do you love it?"

"Of course, Juyeon. Thank you for this," Yoohyeon remarked as she put the bouquet inside a lavender-colored paper bag. "You didn’t have to, but I appreciate it a lot."

"Oh, don't be ridiculous. You're well aware that I would go to any lengths for you, despite the fact that most of the time you are the source of my migraines."

"You like me that much, huh?" The vampire teased, and Juyeon just rolled her eyes playfully.

"I have no choice but to like you because you’re my business partner, and also one of my best friends."

Yoohyeon did nothing but smile and shake her head in response. She threw the bouquet of flowers that was contained within the paper bag a quick glance while her mind strayed into the image of the girl that she had loved in the past and will continue to love even after hundreds or thousands of lifetimes have passed.

"Do you think Minji would like this?" Juyeon responded with a swift nod in response to her question. However, a few moments after that, the vampire heard her business associate let out a long sigh.

"It has been a year, Yoohyeon. You’re never really letting her go, are you?"

The vampire felt a pang in her heart, and it was the same agonizing feeling she felt when she saw her lover’s body collapse on the concrete floor with thick droplets of blood coming out of . It was like her whole being shattered into a million pieces when they reached the hospital, only to witness Minji’s eyes already closed and her breathing was no longer how it used to be.

Yoohyeon kept her eyes shut firmly as traumatic flashbacks from her past came rushing into her mind like a series of tidal waves.

"Juyeon, how much longer are we going to be stuck in this plane?" Yoohyeon asked, clearly getting impatient. It has been three whole hours, and their expected flight was delayed, and her phone battery was already getting low.

Unfortunately, the plane they were on didn’t have any available charging ports, and Yoohyeon wasn’t able to carry any portable charging banks with her either. She could see her screen lighting up because of Minji’s text messages, but she couldn’t exactly reply to them because she was trying to save her battery.

"I'm not sure," she replied while heaving a sigh. "I've been asking the flight attendants why our flight has been unexpectedly delayed for this long, and she just told me that there was a serious weather condition."

"Then let’s just get off this plane and go back home," she suggested as she attempted to fix her things. "Let’s just reschedule our flight and tell my dad there's been a problem."

"Let’s just wait a bit more. I’ve heard the plane will be leaving soon, and they were just making sure it would be safe to fly."

They waited for such a long time for nothing, as it turned out that the plane had never even taken off in the first place. Yoohyeon inspected the time on her wristwatch and realized that it was already late in the evening. Juyeon followed her in silence as they exited the airport in order to wait for any available taxis that would take them home.

She wanted to say something and apologize for the inconvenience, but Yoohyeon just seemed to be in a really foul mood, and it was evident that she didn't want to engage in any conversations, so Juyeon just decided to be quiet instead of trying to talk to her.

After about half an hour of standing in the dark, a car finally stopped in front of them, and Yoohyeon mentally praised the deities before entering the vehicle. Her business partner also followed her inside the vehicle. Her phone started ringing just as she was about to tell the driver where they needed to go, so she had to quickly pause what she was doing.

Yoohyeon reached for the device that was kept inside the deep pocket of her leather pants. She checked the caller’s name and was surprised to see that it wasn’t her girlfriend, but one of her friends, Handong. 

"Dongie? What’s up?"

"Yoohyeon! Thank ing gosh you picked it up. I had low hopes because I assumed you were flying," the girl from the other line exclaimed. 

"My flight was actually delayed, and I’m only about to head back to Minji’s place after waiting for so many hours," she informed. "Is everything alright? My phone’s going to die soon, so could you just wait for me until I’m there?"

"No, Yoohyeon! Please, this is important, so please listen clearly."

When Handong didn’t hear an answer from the other line, she let out a deep sigh and spoke again, hoping that the vampire was still listening attentively. 

"Minji was kidnapped, and it’s quite hard to explain how, so save your questions for later. But the culprit accidentally left evidence, so we were able to find out who did it."

"What the ? Where are you now?" Yoohyeon shouted as she felt her heart thumping. "Did you find her? Is Minji okay?"

"Bora is currently in the process of driving towards the spot that is shown on the evidence that we found. Yoohyeon, you must come over here as soon as possible. Your girlfriend is in danger!"

Immediately after the call was finished, Yoohyeon ordered the driver to take a different route. Because of how troubled the girl was, Juyeon reached out and patted her on the shoulder in an effort to soothe and calm her down. As soon as they arrived at their destination, Yoohyeon hurriedly exited the vehicle and gave the driver instructions to take her business partner back to her home in case the situation became dangerous. Juyeon tried to stop her, but the car had already driven off before she could even leave it.

As she walked further into the place, she saw her girlfriend collapsing on the concrete floor with blood coming out of . Beside her was the person she never expected to see.

It was her father, and he attempted to lay his hand on the girl, but Yoohyeon was quick enough to dash in their direction and aggressively push the man, which caused his body to slam against the street post. Her father groaned in severe pain, but Yoohyeon couldn’t care less. She gently held Minji’s fragile body in her arms as she broke down in tears.

"Get away from her!" She shouted; her voice almost breaking. She could feel her fangs emerging from her lips as she gave deadly glares to her father, who was badly affected by the impact. "I won’t hesitate to kill you if you come close to her."

"Yoohyeon, I didn’t-"

The vampire mustered up every last bit of strength she had in order to carry Minji's body further away from where her father was standing before he even had a chance to respond. They were fortunate that Bora's car arrived at the exact right moment, and they were able to rush the girl to the emergency room of the hospital.

Yoohyeon, however, did not expect that it would also be the last time that she would see the person she loves the most awake. 

Juyeon was right.

It has been a year, and Yoohyeon still couldn’t manage to move forward even if she tried. A huge part of her still kept holding onto Minji, even if she was fully aware that her girlfriend would never wake up again. So, there she was, walking inside the same old hospital building that she had been constantly visiting for a year, with the bouquet of flowers that Juyeon bought for her before she headed straight to work.

It was the vampire's request, and because the girl was a business partner with the vampire as well as a good friend, she made it a point to get her the most beautiful flowers from the flower shop.

Because she had been coming in on a daily basis and made sure not to miss anything in spite of how busy she was with work, the medical staff had already recognized her. Some looked at her with the same expression of sorrow and pity, because even if they weren’t experiencing it, they knew Yoohyeon’s heart broke every time she entered the white-painted room where Minji lied unconscious.

"Great to see you again, Yoohyeon," the doctor said, greeting her with the same smile she always shows whenever the vampire drops by.

"You see me here every day. Aren’t you tired of my face yet?" She joked before gently replacing the already withered flowers in the vase beside Minji’s bed.

"Not at all. Let’s just say you’re my favorite visitor," she stated, patting the girl’s back when she noticed her drowning in her thoughts again. "I’m sure Minji appreciates your efforts to come by and check on her. You even brought her pretty flowers."

"She doesn’t even know I’m here," Yoohyeon uttered, sighing deeply as she watched her girlfriend, who just seemed to be in a very deep slumber. "She never did."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter