Chapter 07

Captivated Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After a few weeks of everything getting back to normal following Serie's dad returning home from the hospital, a surprise came one Wednesday morning. Baekhyun's dad suddenly announced that they would be visiting Serie's place that evening.

Baekhyun was really excited about it and couldn't wait for the evening. He had been away on work trips so he couldn't meet Serie , and even though he talked to her on the phone and sent messages,he felt like something was missing, he missed seeing her smile in person, hearing her laughter, and just being together.

As the evening approached, Baekhyun, accompanied by his parents, made their way to Serie's house. The feeling of excitement grew with each step he took, his heart fluttering in anticipation.

When the door finally opened, revealing Serie with a bright smile on her face, Baekhyun's heart soared with happiness. He couldn't help himself and enveloped her in a heartfelt hug. Serie's cheeks turned rosy, and their sweet embrace unfolded in front of both their parents, creating a touching and heartwarming scene.

Their parents exchanged these knowing looks, like they were on the same page about something.

As they released each other,It felt as if they were in their own special bubble, just the two of them. Their hands brushed against each other, a small gesture of comfort. Together, they entered the house, a strong sense of togetherness enveloping them.

After warm greetings and hugs, everyone settled into cozy chairs in the living room. Laughter filled the air as Baekhyun's parents expressed how happy they were to see Serie and her father in better health.

As the evening progressed, Serie's 's father said that he wanted to say something important drawing the attention of everyone in the room. Baekhyun noticed the serious look on his face, and even his parents seemed focused. Baekhyun felt curious and concerned, and he saw the same emotions in Serie's eyes.

Serie's father started talking, his voice carrying weight and meaning.

"Actually you all know that i am not better with my health, and I can't be sure how many days i have left" Serie's father said, but Serie quickly interrupted.

"Dad, please don't say things like that. You're doing better now," she said, looking worried.

He chuckled softly, trying to ease her concern.

"I just want to be prepared."

"Dad—"

"Let me talk first ," he said, and Serie let out a sigh, showing she was willing to listen.

"You and baekhyun are getting along really well right?" he began.

Serie glanced at Baekhyun, her smile showing how she felt. "Yes, we are," she said, her voice full of affection. Baekhyun nodded in agreement, a soft smile playing on his lips.

Serie's father nodded with a gentle smile.

"So, in that case, I would like you two to consider getting married as soon as possible."

Baekhyun and Serie exchanged surprised glances, clearly taken aback by this unexpected proposal.

"Dad, are you serious right now?" Serie's tone carried a hint of frustration. She felt caught off guard by her father's sudden suggestion, and the idea of discussing marriage in this manner was making her uncomfortable. She worried that Baekhyun might also be feeling uneasy and uncomfortable .

"Serie, I'd like you to get married before anything happens to me. My health isn't at the best, and I want to see you settled and happy" Serie's dad said looking at Serie. 

"But da-" Serie was going to talk but cut off by Baekhyun's mother. 

"Serie, actually, we also think it's a good idea," Baekhyun's mother chimed in.

"Baekhyun, what are your thoughts on this?"Turning to Baekhyun, Serie's dad asked.

Baekhyun glanced between the eager faces around him, a bit surprised by the turn of events. He looked at his parents, trying to find some sort of reassurance.

"Did you guys know about this beforehand?" he asked and Baekhyun's dad nodded.

"Yes, we were informed by Serie's father before."

"So, what's your opinion on this?" Baekhyun's mother inquired once again.

Baekhyun hesitated, his mind racing. While he could envision a future with Serie and had strong feelings for her, the suddenness of this conversation had left him a bit overwhelmed. He struggled to find the right words to convey his thoughts accurately.

Watching the conversation unfold, a complex mix of emotions swirled within Serie's heart. Baekhyun's lack of words and the shadowed look in his eyes struck her deeply. She couldn't shake the feeling that he might be uncomfortable with the whole idea of marriage, and that notion gnawed at her.

Her mind raced back through their recent days. Baekhyun had been pouring himself into his work. The weight of those responsibilities was evident in the way his shoulders seemed to carry more tension lately. She couldn't help but wonder if he saw marriage as an additional load to bear, something that could potentially divert his attention and energy away from the demands of work.

A tangle of doubts and worries formed Did he truly consider their relationship mature enough for marriage? Or was he content with the way things were, hesitant to take that step?

The silence that hung in the room after her father's proposal felt stifling, as if it mirrored the uncertainty filling her mind. Unable to bear the weight of the silence any longer, Serie found her voice.

"I... I don't think I'm ready to get married."

The words were out before she could truly grasp them, and as they lingered in the air, the atmosphere grew heavier. The gazes of their parents were on her, and she could sense the disappointment in her father's eyes.

Serie's words landed on Baekhyun like an unexpected blow. Her simple sentence had carried a weight he hadn't foreseen and he felt a tinge of hurt he couldn't quite shake off. He had never imagined that the idea of marriage would elicit such a response from her, and the unexpectedness of it left him momentarily speechless.

Serie's father's voice cut through the silence, his tone a mixture of surprise and sadness.

"But why, my dear? You two seem so happy together."

Serie struggled to find the right words, to express the whirlwind of thoughts and feelings inside her.

"It's not that... it's just... can we not talk about this right now?" Her voice wavered, her eyes cast down as she avoided meeting anyone's gaze.

The room fell into an uncomfortable hush, as if the air itself had grown heavy with tension. The parents exchanged uncertain looks, their expressions mirroring the awkwardness of the moment.

Meanwhile, Baekhyun struggled within, his emotions swirling like a storm, leaving him at a loss for words.

For Serie, his quiet reaction made her worries feel more real like a soft agreement that they might not be thinking the same way about this.

Feeling like she couldn't stay in that room a moment longer, Serie stood up abruptly, excusing herself. She needed space to sort through her thoughts and emotions, to understand why she had reacted the way she did, and to figure out what it all meant for her relationship with Baekhyun. With a heavy heart, she retreated to her room, leaving behind a heavy silence and a sense of uncertainty that seemed to hang in the air.

The others remained in silence. Baekhyun felt the urge to talk to Serie privately about this matter.

"Can I go and talk to her?" Baekhyun asked Serie's father.

"Sure, son. Go ahead," Serie's father said with a warm smile.

Baekhyun headed towards the stairs to reach Serie's room.

Serie was sitting on her bed, lost in her thoughts, and tears were threatening to fall. The sudden talk of marriage had caught her off guard, but deep down, she found herself liking the idea of marrying Baekhyun, even though they had only known each other for about some months. But now, seeing Baekhyun's discomfort, her heart felt conflicted.

Suddenly her thoughts were interrupted by a knock on her door.

"Serie, can we talk?" Baekhyun's soft voice reached her.

"Yeah, just give me a minute," she replied, quickly heading to the bathroom. Splashing water on her face, she tried to wash away her gloomy mood. After drying her face, she opened the door.

There stood Baekhyun, his eyes reflecting a hint of hurt. He entered her room, and they both fell into a heavy silence.

"Let's sit," Serie suggested, leading the way to the sofa by the bed. They sat down, the weight of the unspoken words hanging in the air.

"What am I to you, Serie?" Baekhyun's question shattered the silence between them.

Serie was taken aback by his question, uncertain of how to respond.Her emotions for him were strong, but expressing them in that moment seemed incredibly challenging.

Baekhyun continued to look at her, his eyes unwavering as he waited for her to say something. The longer she took to respond, the more a sense of unease settled within him. It was almost like her silence was speaking loudly, sending a message that their thoughts and feelings might not be in harmony. He had always assumed that their emotions were mutual, that they were on the same page. But now, her hesitation was casting a shadow of doubt on everything he had believed.

"Serie, am I nothing to you?" Baekhyun's voice carried a mix of hurt and frustration.

"You were so against the whole marriage thing earlier, and I totally get it because it was so sudden. But have you ever really thought about us having a future together?"

Serie felt shocked and a bit angry. She couldn't understand why Baekhyun was now saying something so different from what he had shown earlier. His words were like a punch to her heart, making her question if he truly understood her feelings for him. She had believed that he knew how deeply she cared for him, despite her not fully comprehending her own feelings at times.

"What are you talking about? You're the one who seemed against the idea of us getting married," Serie retorted, her voice tinged with frustration.

"What! When did I ever say that?" Baekhyun asked, clearly surprised.

"You didn't say anything, and your reactions showed it," Serie replied, her tone still edged with annoyance.

"Me?" he exclaimed incredulously, looking at her as if she'd said something unbelievable."You were the one who said you didn't want to marry."

"Are you saying you want to?" Serie challenged him, her tone defiant.

"Yes!" he exclaimed, his response swift and firm. "I'm open to the idea," Baekhyun declared without any hesitation.

Serie found herself taken aback by his directness, her eyes widened in surprise.

"So, why didn't you say anything earlier?" she asked, her confusion evident.

"I was actually planning to, bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter