Chapter 4

Memento Madness

It’s now 11 PM. Yerim is already asleep in Joohyun’s room and Joohyun’s still up with her phone. As per her last call with Seulgi last year, she knows that Seungwan still lives and works in Singapore. Only a 1-hour difference. But that’s it, Joohyun doesn’t know the other details of Seungwan’s personal life. 

 

She also doesn’t want to know because she believes that in life, it’s always better not to know everything. Including Seungwan’s current love life. More because she thinks she can’t handle knowing any truths of Seungwan settling with anyone. It’s egoistic for sure, but she’s being honest with herself.

 

Her conversation with Sooyoung earlier keeps spiraling in her mind. She knows that telling Seungwan about her divorce situation won’t change anything, but she has the urge to tell the current situation about her life. 

 

She decides to ask Seulgi first. Seulgi is probably the closest one to Seungwan aside from any new friends or partner that Seungwan has at the moment. She sends a chat to Seulgi.

 

Bae Joohyun: Seul, are you awake? I want to ask something.

 

Doesn’t take long before Seulgi replies. Sure unnie. How are you doing anyway?

 

Bae Joohyun: Fine as always thanks. Hope you’re doing well too.

 

Kang Seulgi: I am. So… What is this you want to ask?

 

Joohyun takes some time before answering. Seungwan.

 

Not long after Joohyun replies, Seulgi calls her.

 

“Unnie… Is there something I don’t know yet?” Seulgi says.

 

Joohyun laughs slowly, “Nothing really.”

 

“Of course there’s no nothing about it. I mean… There must be a reason why you suddenly want to ask about Seungwan.”

 

“Well, I just want to ask whether Seungwan has changed her phone number or not.”

 

Seulgi’s giggles can be heard. “That’s all?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Hurry before I lash out.” Joohyun says playfully.

 

Seulgi laughs. “Oh please! She never changes her phone number. Practically she changed once after moving to Singapore.”

 

“I see.”

 

“Why? Do you want to call her or something?”

 

“Um…”

 

“Geez we’ve known each other for almost 20 years, you don’t have to hide anything from me.”

 

Joohyun rolls her eyes. “Don’t tell Seungwan about this.”

 

“Of course!” Seulgi laughs. “However…” Seulgi sounds hesitant to continue her words.

 

“What?”

 

“I have something to tell you about her. Not that major, but I guess it’s better if you hear it directly from Seungwannie.”

 

“Is Seungwan married yet?”

 

“No… Of course not. Well if she is, I think she’s going to tell you about that, right?”

 

“Right.”

 

“Who’s that, Kang?” a similar voice can be heard from Seulgi’s end.

 

“Wait, are you with Sooyoung?”

 

Seulgi chuckles. “Yeah... I asked her to come.”

 

Joohyun giggles. She knows that these two best friends are inseparable. It’s like the two cannot live without each other like an old married couple. But both of them always deny it and just disregard the assumptions as they just feel like being with each other at most times, nothing romantic. Once again, exactly like an old couple.

 

“What dating problems now?”

 

“You have to listen to this, unnie. This time Seulgi’s date ing left her over her cats.”

 

Joohyun laughs, “What are you both doing at the moment?”

 

Sooyoung responded, “We’re just watching some cheesy flick that Seulgi chose.”

 

“Hey! Sleepless in Seattle is not a cheesy, dumbhead.”

 

“Oh shut up, Ms. Hopeless Romantic.”

 

“Now now…” Joohyun continues to laugh hearing her two best friends bicker. “Alright then, have fun you two. Enjoy the satnight.”

 

“Thank you unnie!” The two respond in unison. Seulgi puts the phone in non-speaker mode and whispers. “Tell me how’s it going with Wannie, will you?”

 

“Sure.” Joohyun smiles and turns the phone off.


 


 

“Why did Joohyun unnie call?” Sooyoung asks as she ducks her head, burying her face in the crook of Seulgi’s neck. Both Seulgi and Sooyoung’s most favorite position is to lay on the bed together with Sooyoung being embraced by Seulgi.

 

“It’s Seungwan. I guess that has a relation with what you told me earlier about the blue velvet album.”

 

“Of course… As much as I don’t want to interfere their relationship, I just can’t bear seeing Joohyun unnie got so helpless earlier.”

 

“Well… It’s been 12 years. Although it seems like Seungwan is enjoying her time in Singapore.”

 

Sooyoung moves from her previous position. “Say, does Seungwan have a girlfriend or something?”

 

“I don’t know. To be honest, with her, it’s always complicated.”

 

“Just like yours.”

 

“Hey! At least, I’m doing something in my love department.” 

 

“Just what do you mean by that?” Sooyoung hits Seulgi with her pillow playfully. “You think I didn’t do anything?”

 

“No…?”

 

“Oh come on, Kang. You don’t know how hard it was to let go of an ultra-jealous ex. The trauma he left on me was frightening.”

 

“Oh come on, Park. It was 3 years ago and I haven’t seen you on dates.”

 

“You’re right… 3 years huh?” Sooyoung knows that Seulgi is probably trying to joke with her but she can’t help that Seulgi’s words actually hurt her. She tucks the blanket and sleeps with back facing Seulgi.

 

Seulgi facepalms herself. It’s indeed not a bad thing if Sooyoung just wants to drown herself with her work and neglects romantic life. “Sooyoung… I’m sorry. I don’t mean to. I really regret it.”

 

Seulgi moves closer to Sooyoung and tucks Sooyoung’s hair. “What can I do to apologize for my bad mouth?”

 

“Yes. Your mouths are bad.” Sooyoung turns back and looks at Seulgi.

 

“Come here. I’m sorry, chick.” Seulgi extends her hands for Sooyoung to be embraced with her body.

 

“Oh bear. How to be mad with you…”

 

“Well you can’t.” Seulgi deepens her embrace. “Shall we continue to watch or just enjoy our position right here?”

 

“My eyes are too tired to keep up with your slow- film.”

 

“It’s not slow-! It’s intimate and detailed!”

 

“Yeah yeah… Talk to your cinephile .”

 

And they decide to enjoy each others’ warmth. For Seulgi, Sooyoung is a home. Whatever mess she’s done, whoever girls dumped her, she’ll always have Sooyoung.

 

“Seulgi… About Joohyun unnie.”

 

“Hm?” Seulgi says as she Sooyoung’s hair.

 

“What if she really tells Seungwan about her current situation? What if, turns out, after all these years, they still have feelings for each other?”

 

Seulgi sighs. “That I don’t know. Their relationship is kinda weird isn’t it?”

 

“It’s not weird. It’s just unfortunate. How’s Seungwan really doing though?”

 

“You’re right. For Seungwan… We don’t really communicate everyday but I heard she’s currently courting a woman who used to be her client.

 

“Really?”

 

“Don’t tell that to unnie, though. It’s much better if it comes from Seungwan’s own mouth. I’m also not sure if it’s that serious or not.”

 

“So Seungwan hasn’t really settled with anyone even up until this point?”

 

“You know her… Always a workaholic and could never give her heart easily despite having some past flings. She tried her best, that’s for sure. Let’s see with this one.”

 

Sooyoung nods, “Yeah… Let’s see. Poor them.”

 

“Them?”

 

“Who else! Joohyun unnie and Seungwan.”

 

“Oh… Thought you’re talking about Seungwan’s new target.” Seulgi grins. “The world is unfair, chick. I personally hope that Seungwan can forget Joohyun unnie… fully.”

 

Sooyoung breaks away from the hug, “And why is that?”

 

“You do realize how many sacrifices that Seungwan has gone through because of this, right?”

 

“But… You know how both of them have tried their best.”

 

“I know. But 12 years is a long time, Sooyoung. Do you really think they could really restart all over? I mean Singapore is also a strict country for this kind of relationship.”

 

“Let me talk about you now…” Sooyoung repositions herself. “You’re dating women here and there for years, no thoughts on getting serious. What’s your position with this kind of relationship?”

 

“Why is this now suddenly about me?”

 

Sooyoung acknowledges very well that she shifted the conversation as she’s now more curious with Seulgi’s stance, “Just answer me.”

 

“Of course I am. I mean I like my women, but the thought of having a serious relationship freaks me out.”

 

“Why is that?”

 

“Sooyoungie… I could lose everything I have. I don’t think my family will accept it and you know how conservative my office could be. It’s hard. That’s why I’d rather choose to live my romantic life casually.”

 

“Understandable…”

 

“Why are you asking me that?”

 

“I don’t know, Seul.”

 

“Are you…” Seulgi’s now in a sitting position. “Perhaps thinking of dating girls? Or simply curious?”

 

“What’s the thought process for you to ask me such questions?” Sooyoung is taken aback. “Could we pause now? I’m tired.”

 

Seulgi lets out a sigh, “Same… Let’s just sleep shall we?”

 

Sooyoung nods and returns to their initial embrace. The two have lingering thoughts accompanying their sleep still, but they just decide to leave them out and be comfortable in each other’s embrace for tonight.

 


 

Author's note: A short update! Thanks for reading and hope you'll have a great day ahead!