Three

I’ll Change The Weather For You. I’ll Chase Away The Rain And Put Back The Sun For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Three:

Swimming class. I never want to enroll but it is a prerequisite. I just sighed and wore my swimsuit and goggles. I stretched my legs in preparation then I heard a voice.

 

“You ready to drown?”

 

It’s her, again.

 

“All the time queen bee,” I replied as I tried to reach my feet.

 

“If you cannot swim, just run.” she sat beside me and mimicked my stretches, “What’s the test for today?” she asked.

 

“Speed test,” I replied. I looked at the pool area and saw Kwon Yuri acing the test, “She’s really cool in sports, huh?” I said in amazement.

 

“Ever wonder how many times she peed in the pool before she reached that level?” Tiffany said unimpressed. And per usual, I ignored her absurd remark.

 

We heard a whistle and the instructor announced, “19 seconds!”

 

“Whoa, a new record. I heard her last record on the previous test was 25 seconds. She swims as if sharks are chasing her .”  I commented in awe. 

 

I heard Tiffany click her tongue.

 

“Last exam, you weren’t here.” She suddenly said.

 

“Y-Yeah.”

 

Because this can’t swim well. But can't tell her that. She’ll just make fun of me. 

 

I’ll just move my feet slowly on the waters.

 

“Next, Hwang and Kim!”

 

We stood up from our place and walked to the edge of the pool.

 

“Want to race? The first one to touch the other end of the pool wins.” Tiffany bet.

 

“No,” I said. 

 

“Oh, come on. Can't swim?” She annoyingly smirked at me. Ugh, that annoying arrogant face of hers!

 

“I-I can!” I denied. Maybe I have pride too.

 

“Then, let’s! If I make it first, you’ll have lunch with me for the whole semester,” she said again.

 

“O-Ok.” 

 

“What’s yours?” she asked.

 

“I-I’ll tell later,” I said, accepting my fate to lose and flunk the test.

 

The instructor called our attention and said, “On your mark, ready, set, go!” heard a whistle and we both jumped into the pool.

 

The first seconds were alright, my legs moved well, but in the middle of the pool, I felt my leg freeze. 

 

‘Oh .’ being 5’3 ft on an 8 ft pool is terrible. 

 

I felt cold and numb. Maybe this is what people feel like when they’re dying.

 

For some unknown reasons and forces, instead of continuing to march forward, Tiffany looked back to check on me and saw me drowning, “Tae!” She rushed back to me just in time and dragged me with her. When we reached the end of the pool, I touched the edge of the pool first.

 

And being the brat I am, I used that chance to shamelessly claim my win.

 

“I won.”

 

Well, if I can’t use my legs, I will use my head.

 

“You tricked me!” Tiffany looked so betrayed and immediately let go of me. She got outside the pool but I suddenly lost my hold on the tiles.

 

“Ooof.”

 

Drowning for real. 

 

“Taeyeon?” she called, maybe thinking I’m tricking her again. It’s been fifteen seconds since I drifted until Kwon Yuri came into the scene and did something.

 

“What are you standing there for? She’s drowning!” Yuri called Tiffany out of her trance before jumping into the pool.

 

“Oh, no.” Tiffany jumped in too. It’s like she’s racing with Yuri to save me but Yuri beats her to it.

 

Yuri puts me on the floor and was about to give me CPR when Tiffany pushed her. Her eyes are red, it seems like she’s crying but the trickles of water on her face covered it up.

 

“Get away from her!”

 

That day, I received CPR from our campus’ number one student and she was crying. When my consciousness was back, she hugged me tight and whispered apologies in my ear. 

 

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry. I should have never let go.”

 

Then the instructor whistled, “You two, take her to the clinic.” 

 

Tiffany carried me by herself and told Yuri, “I’ll do it myself.” Yuri just stood there scratching her head in confusion.

 

“Seriously, what did I do?” while looking at Tiffany on the way to the clinic.

 

This day, I almost died, but I still won the race, right? We both flunk our speed tests though.

 

***

 

After that incident in the clinic, Tiffany comes with me everywhere I go. Since I do not have the energy to talk to people, I just let her and maybe take it as my gratitude for her taking me to the clinic. I should really thank Kwon Yuri as well, if it were not for her, I would have drowned for real. Maybe, I have two knights in shining armour now. But I don't really need help in the first place. 

 

Tiffany was in front of my seat at the library, sighing for the nth time.

 

“Baby Tae, I’m hungry,” she complained.

 

“Go to the cafeteria and eat,” I said without taking my eyes off the book I’m reading.

 

“Why won’t you just eat lunch with me?” she whined.

 

“Why would I do that?” I asked.

 

“B-Because, I just saved your life!”

 

“Then, I’ll go out to lunch with Yuri too.“ I said.

 

“No!”

 

“Why not? She saved my life too, didn’t she?”

 

“You can’t go out with her!” She glared at me.

 

I put down my book and looked at her.

 

“Oh? I see no reason.”

 

“Reason? I’m your girlfriend!”

 

“That’s just a rumour that you created yourself.” I shrugged.

 

“B-But we already hold hands!” She reasoned.

 

“So? Even friends do that.” 

 

“We kissed, Taetae!” She blurted out and the people in the library started to look at us. I hid in embarrassment behind my book.

 

“Who the heck is Taetae?! And can you please lower your voice? We never kiss.” I whispered out the last part as if I just said some lewd-forbidden words which are not wrong.

 

“We did!” Tiffany stubbornly insisted. 

 

I groaned, desperately wanting to pull out my hair, Tiffany’s too if I can, out of frustration. 

 

“Look, Tiffany..”

 

“Call me Pani, Taetae!”

 

“Whaa— You actually like that lame nickname I once made to make fun of you??” I asked in disbelief. This girl is seriously unbelievable. 

 

“Well since you’re the one who made it, of course, I like it. It feels special.” Tiffany innocently grinned. 

 

“*sigh* No, Tiff—“

 

“Sst! Don’t wanna hear, don’t wanna talk, lalalala~~” Tiffany childishly covered her ears with her palms singing to random songs and melodies. 

 

“Sweet lord! Fine! Fine! Look PANI, as far as I can remember, we never kissed! Unless you did it when I’m asleep or something when I’m not conscious. And dude, if you really did that, I think I should call a cop and file a lawsuit against you.”

 

“Of course not! I mean I gave you CPR!”

 

Ah. I sighed in relief. 

 

“That's different!” I shook my head and continued reading.

 

She’s quite embarrassing to be with.

 

“What are you even reading, Taetae?” She forcefully took the book in my hand and I sighed, “Daily Astrology.”

 

The nickname she made for me doesn’t really bother me anymore now. Maybe because there’s a more significant disturbance which is Tiffany herself. 

 

“Why are you reading this?” She asked.

 

“This is the highest book I could reach on the shelf,” I said. She started turning the pages and her eyes lit up.

 

“You’re a Pisces, right?” 

 

“How did you know?”

 

“I-I just guess!”

 

So much for stalking me. 

 

“Pft. Right.”

 

“Anyway! It says tomorrow is your lucky day. Someone who likes you will confess to you and you will find your soulmate! The lucky colour is Yellow.  Signs compatible: Leo… Heyyyyyy, I’m a Leo, baby Tae! See, even the stars want us to be together!” she bragged.

 

“Where are you even reading? You just made that up.” I rolled my eyes and she puts out her tongue and said, “No, look at page 15!” she showed me and it was indeed written there.

 

“Let’s borrow this book!” she excitedly said.

 

“Do as you please.”

 

She skipped lunch and spent the whole day reading horoscope and zodiac signs compatibility and I was the one who fell asleep in front of her this time.

 

Little did I know, she took her camera out and took an ugly picture of me drooling.

 

‘Well, wearing yellow for tomorrow won't hurt me anyway.’

 

***

 

The next day, I was drawing in the class because everyone was so noisy and I wanted to be at my own peace until people suddenly stopped talking and looked at the door. I looked too in curiosity and saw Tiffany dressed up nicely for today. She even got her lunchbox and flowers in her hand.

 

Sunflowers.

 

Cute, maybe someone gave her. It’s not like my business anyway.

 

I continued drawing until someone tapped my desk.

 

It was her.

 

“Taetae! You are wearing yellow.” She said happily. 

 

Weird.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“It’s your lucky day!”

 

“Hmm…”

 

She sat beside me and lean on me to look at my drawing.

 

“A chicken?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I’m hungry,” I said. Then somehow, her eyes lit up. She saw this opportunity to ask me, “Let’s eat lunch together later, please.” She said.

 

Whoa, I never heard her say please before so I looked at her face. She looks kind of nervous. She’s grasping her sunflower a little bit tighter than she should. 

 

Cute.

 

What are you so nervous about, Pani? I thought inwardly as I hid my amused smile. 

 

I skipped to the next page of my sketch pad and said, “Move a little backward and don’t move,” She looked confused but obeyed anyway. After a few minutes, I ripped off the page and gave it to her.

 

“Here.”

 

It’s a kid chibi version of her holding sunflowers.

 

She took the paper and looked at it. I saw her eyes light up again and her nervousness was gone in an instant. She looks extremely happy and more relaxed. And somehow I feel good too on the inside seeing that. 

 

“Is this me?”

 

I nodded.

 

“Why?”

 

“Your sunflowers look cute,” I nonchalantly said. 

 

You look cute too. But there’s no way I’ll ever say that out loud for you to hear.

 

I saw her blushing for the first time as she bowed her head shyly, seeming to contemplate what to say next.

 

“What if… What if I say these are for you?” she asked, pushing her sunflowers closer to me. 

 

I looked into her eyes and almost believed in her, but then I remembered, she was Tiffany Hwang. The popular girl who likes to joke around with me. Maybe it’s a part of her new prank scheme for the day.

 

I replied to her, “Ha. I wouldn’t believe you.”

 

Then, the teacher arrived, and I saw Tiffany let out a small sigh and go back to her seat slowly. Her energy wasn't as high as when she entered the room. I wonder why. 

 

And what I missed seeing was the sadness in her eyes.

 

***

 

After that class, I went on with my day as usual, I was walking in the hallway preparing to go home when I saw outside the window, “It’s raining.”

 

“It’s your lucky day!”

 

“Right, I forgot my umbrella.”

 

I spent an hour sitting on the stairs waiting for the rain to stop but it looks like it won't stop soon. A lot of students already passed by me, some running towards the rain already just to go home.

 

“Maybe I should run too.” I put my backpack on and prepared my sketchpad above my head until I heard a voice.

 

“Need a hand?” 

 

It’s Tiffany. She also hasn’t left school.

 

“O-Oh, I’m fine,” I said.

 

“You sure?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Okay, I’m going,” she replied and opened her umbrella and walked outside.

 

I sighed and looked at the sky. “It won’t be stopping soon.” I decided to just run. After a few seconds of almost getting drenched, someone held my arm and an umbrella was suddenly placed above my head.

 

“Don’t run. You’ll hurt yourself if you slip. Walk with me.” When I looked back, I saw Tiffany, her face was so closed. “U-Uhm…” “Sorry,” we said at the same time then she distanced herself a bit.  And the way she spoke earlier is so gentle. Not like her usual playful self. 

 

I finally agreed and we walked together. What she failed to notice is the umbrella was already drenching my shoulders. I shift a bit closer to her. She seemed surprised and I saw her smiling shyly while she was looking down. 

 

“Sorry, it’s just my shoulders are getting wet,” I said awkwardly.

 

“O-Oh. Come here.” She puts her hand around my waist and pulls me closer. It’s my turn to be surprised. Somehow, I heard my heartbeat beating faster, or was it hers? Maybe it’s just cold and hunger(?) Because I can smell the food from her lunchbox and also the scent of the sunflowers she’s still holding.

 

We heard thunder clasping and the rain starte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter