Chapter [3] : Miscommunication.

The Windy Romance

 

« How comfortable are you with the other’s touch? »

 

What kind of question is that? Hyejin wants to give a piece of her mind to the counselor, but she thinks of the reason she got herself in the situation first, and stays quiet. Yongsun next to her studies the question seriously before answering.

 

« We hold hands. »

 

When did they ever? Hyejin looks sharply at Yongsun. Why is she lying to the counselor, they have never held hands- Oh. Maybe except this one time at the movie theater, but Hyejin swears it was only because the movie Yongsun chose was totally the scariest thing she has ever watched.

 

She actively wonders what is wrong with the lawyer for enjoying such content. Maybe the cold world of the law broke her for good. Maybe Yongsun is just like the other lawyers after all; a heartless being who enjoys books in a mean way.

 

« Now that you have managed to create some times for each other, and have a positive communication with each other, I believe we can start to work on skinship. Obviously, I want you two to continue to compliment each other regularly and to make some times once a week for a moment between only the two of you. It is important that you continue to build on these habits. »

 

Hyejin feels like she is back in school, having assignment to do at home with a partner she hasn’t chosen. She nods, showing she is willing to make an effort, hoping it will lessen the number of times she meets with the counselor.

 

« Holding hands is a good start. I think it would be nice for you to tell each other what you are comfortable with, what you are willing to try and what is completely out of the picture. »

 

« Right now? »

 

« You are in a safe place, Hyejin. »

 

I am in hell. Hyejin keeps her kind words for herself.

 

« Holding hands is okay with me. »

 

« That’s good, Yongsun. What about you Hyejin? »

 

« I guess it’s fine. »

 

Yongsun’s leg is bouncing again, and this time both Hyejin and the counselor are worried about the heel eventually breaking. Hyejin doesn’t pay much attention to the following words of the counselor. Complimenting Yongsun and going on dates with her was okay with her, skinship is pushing it a bit too far for her.

 


 

The silent buzzing of the museum is one that Hyejin isn’t a big fan of. She is this close from putting on her earphones, but it wouldn’t be polite to Byulyi, and Hyejin does respect her boss even outside of the office. She follows the blonde woman around the museum but she doesn’t listen to her explanation of the pieces.

 

Hyejin isn’t a big fan of paintings, she prefers sculptures, and she doesn’t like when people are showing off their knowledge in such a flashy way. Her stubbornness makes her miss all the sincerity in Byulyi’s words. The IT senior has been going to the museum as often as Hyejin goes to the florist. It calms her mind, helps her think, and makes her more open to challenge new opportunities.

 

« Hey, are you even listening to what I’m saying? »

 

Hyejin rolls her eyes. Alexandrines. Again, and always. They are somewhere in a room full of portraits. Hyejin leaves Byulyi’s side, wandering around, trying to capture the feelings coming from the paintings. It is weirdly interesting to have all those faces looking at her, she wonders how it must feel to have your own face captured with such intensity. She believes paintings hold a-

 

« Please, don’t stand so close to the art. »

 

Hyejin takes a step back, she got curious and almost fell into the painting. Her eyes search for one blonde woman without much luck. She notices a woman at the entrance of the room, wearing a badge with her name on it. Wheein. Apparently.

 

« Excuse me, have you seen a blonde woman? »

 

« … Oh… I… »

 

« Hyejin! I’m sorry, my boyfriend called me just now. »

 

Hyejin rolls her eyes. She thanks the poor woman caught inside their conversation and walks away. Byulyi doesn’t say much afterwards, and Hyejin believes it might have something to do with the call she had with her boyfriend. Byulyi being her boss, and a guarded nature, she knows there is no chance for the woman to even tell her anything about the situation. So she doesn’t ask about it.

 

Instead, she points to a random painting, the biggest one in the room and asks Byulyi about it. She half listens, half nods when Byulyi’s eyes meet with hers. By the end of the hour, they decide to go back to the office.

 

In a way, it is strangely relaxing to be back. Byulyi had just been back from a meeting with the higher up when she told Hyejin to take her stuff and to follow her outside. They walked to the museum, not that Hyejin had a say in it. But it was a great break before continuing their work.

 

« Someone left a word for you. »

 

Hyejin is welcomed to the IT floor by a note from none other than lawyer Kim Yongsun. She opens it on her way to her desk, and she blankly stares at it. She quickly walks back toward the elevator, and rides it to the lawyer floor. There she finds Yongsun’s office, but it is empty; someone tells her Yongsun is out for the rest of the day.

 

Coward.

 

Hyejin gets back to her desk, the note Yongsun gave her crumbled in her fist. The IT junior aggressively types her code for the new archive system all afternoon long. She even closes her computer aggressively when she is done, surprising her coworkers with the sudden noise.

 


 

« Is there something you would like to talk with me about, Hyejin? »

 

Hyejin breathes a few times, not really sure why she is here now. The anger from earlier now far away, she doesn’t really know how she feels, and she isn’t sure if she did the good thing by booking a rushed appointment with the counselor.

 

« I don’t think I should be here. »

 

« I think you felt the need to reach out, and that’s okay. »

 

The counselor looks at Hyejin with a kind smile. The exact same one that she had the first time she sat down on this very couch.

 

« Yongsun has been ignoring me. »

 

« How so? »

 

« Well… we usually go and eat together at lunch maybe once or twice a week. Sometimes we meet the weekend and we do something together. But, last week she was out of town for work. And this week, she has ignored all my mails, and declined all my invitations for lunch. »

 

Hyejin only sent Yongsun one mail, but that is one mail too many that the lawyer hasn’t answered. Plus, Hyejin did go up the lawyer floor thrice this week without much chance, the woman has been impossible to catch.

 

She only wants this whole counselor thing to be over, and really she shouldn’t care if Yongsun is the one screwing it up; she only has to go to HR and says the woman is not doing any effort and she will surely get off the hook. But… But it upsets her.

 

« How does that make you feel? »

 

« Upset. »

 

« Why? »

 

« Because. We are doing this therapy, and she isn’t making any effort. This is her fault, and she is running away. »

 

« How is this her fault? »

 

« Well, she was the one who was not polite to me. I only reacted. »

 

« Maybe, you could have reacted differently. »

 

Hyejin leans back on the couch. She starts to play with her nails unconsciously. She bites her tongue, her eyes dive back into her first encounter with the lawyer. It wasn’t very glorious, and she wasn’t having a great day; Yongsun being rude to her only triggered what was bound to happen anyway. Hyejin doesn’t really like to be talked to like she is some kind of middle schooler. And that’s the tone Yongsun used with her.

 

« I think, you should maybe visit her, and tell her how you feel about the situation. »

 

« Hum… »

 

« I am not saying that you should make her feel guilty about the situation. I am saying that you should tell her how you feel so she understands what she is doing is not okay with you. I don’t want you to search for confrontation, Hyejin. »

 

Hyejin nods, her mind already searching a way to get Yongsun’s address. She has rough idea of where the woman lives, but isn’t exactly sure which building it is. She takes her bag, and walks out of the counselor’s office, heading for the subway station. In the end, she decides to go home, her problem with her coworker can wait.

 


 

« Miss Kim. It has been some time since we saw you in the building. »

 

Yongsun bows to the man, already ready to fly away form the conversation. Except he follows her out of the elevator, and she understands she might not have a choice.

 

« My wife told me to invite you for dinner if I ever see you. Plus, our daughter is visiting today. »

 

Yongsun sighs, and follows her neighbor toward his door. They live on the same floor, and him and his wife form an adorable couple. They both seem to have developed a liking for Yongsun ever since she moved in.

 

« Guess who I met in the elevator! »

 

The man calls out for everyone to come meet them at the entrance. Yongsun quickly takes off her shoes, and reaches out for a pair of slippers that has her name on the side; she does come by more often than she believes.

 

Inside, it smells like homemade food, and comfortable evenings. It reminds Yongsun of her childhood, when she would come home to a full table during the holidays, after having spend the entire day outside with her sisters and her friends. She sits down at her usual spot, not a second later, a woman joins them.

 

« Wheein. Look, Yongsun is here. »

 

Yongsun nods, Wheein sits down next to her, and leans in to leave a kiss on Yongsun’s cheek. Wheein’s dad smile happily as he sees the two, and Wheein’s mom comes at this exact instant with the bowls of rice, she gets excited at the sight of the two women.

 

Wheein’s parents like Yongsun, because she is a good party for their daughter who still hasn’t managed to find anyone despite being in her mid-twenties. After all, Yongsun is a lawyer in a prestigious firm, she is single, good looking, and caring. The couple has been trying to set off their daughter with her from the very beginning.

 

« I am happy to see you two together. You should come more often, Yongsun. »

 

« I’m busy. »

 

Yongsun doesn’t mind the couple’s attempt. She doesn’t mind Wheein, either. The younger girl thanks her when she helps her reach one of the plates situated out of reach for her chopsticks. Wheein is quiet while she eats next to Yongsun. Wheein’s mom do most of the talking, and Yongsun tries to answer politely.

 

« Being a lawyer isn’t easy. Especially when you live all alone like this. No one cook for you. Always coming home to an empty house. »

 

« I manage. »

 

« You know, Wheein is a good cook. »

 

Yongsun knows, not from experience, but because her mom mentions it every time she eats with them. Still, she acts the part and glances at Wheein, the girl avoids her gaze.

 

« Wheein has been working hard at the museum. Do you like art, Yongsun? »

 

« I have only a light interest in it. »

 

« Do you go to the museum, often? »

 

« Not really. I often go to the gym this days. »

 

« Ah! That’s really good to take care of yourself. I told that to Wheein too. Look at how healthy Yongsun is. »

 

Yongsun glances at Wheein, the woman has a big mouthful of rice in , and some of it is stuck on her lips. She gently helps her with it, and eats the grains left on Wheein’s lips without much thinking. Wheein turns a surprised red.

 

« I think Wheein looks pretty just as she is. »

 

Wheein’s mom makes some kind of noise that Yongsun believes must be positive since she then encourages Wheein and her to get closer. It isn’t subtle in anyway, and Yongsun knows this ideal relationship that Wheein’s parents have been hoping for months will surely never happen.

 

Still, the food is good, and when she excuses herself as it gets late, Wheein’s mom gives her more food to take home. She asks Wheein to help her carry the many containers back to her apartment. The woman sighs loudly as she puts them down on Yongsun’s kitchen island.

 

« Why did you agree? »

 

« Why don’t you tell your parents that you aren’t interested in me? I believe this would be easier. »

 

« You could tell them you have someone already. »

 

« They are my neighbors, I think they will notice if I have someone or not. Your dad catches me almost every morning in the elevator. »

 

Wheein groans. Yongsun gets herself a glass of wine while the younger woman is busy putting the containers in the fridge. Yongsun will have enough to eat for a week or two. Wheein drinks from Yongsun’s glass before jumping on the island.

 

« How were your vacations? »

 

« I wasn’t on vacation. I was visiting a client. »

 

Wheein rolls her eyes; she noticed the subtle tan on Yongsun’s skin. She takes the woman’s wrist and takes one of the rings off to show her the obvious. Yongsun chuckles before putting her ring back in place.

 

« Well… The hotel had a swimming pool. »

 

« Lucky you. »

 

« What about you? How have you been doing, Wheeinie? »

 

« The usual. Museum, atelier, museum, atelier. »

 

« What have you been working on? »

 

« Nothing special. I feel uninspired this days. »

 

« You should go out for a change. »

 

Wheein grimaces. Yongsun takes back her glass of wine, before the younger woman finishes it for her.

 

« Would you go out with me this weekend? »

 

« Let me check my calendar. »

 

Yongsun leaves the kitchen, looking for her phone, surely somewhere in her bag. She finds it, and walks back to the kitchen while waiting for her calendar to synchronize.

 

What’s that?

 

Yongsun frowns as she sees an appointment for tomorrow that she doesn’t remember having scheduled. Ahn Hyejin. You better be here. It is tomorrow afternoon, in a bar in town, and from the few words used, the IT junior doesn’t seem happy.

 

« What’s with your face? »

 

« Nothing. You told me this weekend? »

 

« Hum. Only if you are free. »

 



« You schedule our meetings now? »

 

Hyejin looks up from her computer, she closes it, and puts it away in her bag. Yongsun sits down in front of her, and she shivers a bit when she meets eyes with Hyejin. Cold. Upset. Closed. This is what she feels coming from the woman.

 

« Why are you avoiding me? »

 

Hyejin already forgot what the counselor told her. She is ready to fight Yongsun.

 

« I am not avoiding you. »

 

Hyejin doesn’t answer. Yongsun shifts on her seat, she looks around before coming back to Hyejin’s hands on the table and notices the new design on them.

 

« You changed your nails. »

 

« I want to punch you. »

 

Yongsun really thought the scariest individuals on Earth were the ones in charge of doing her new badges every three years. They are in charge of making sure all the employees of the firm are clean individuals, giving them permission to go through their life; Yongsun always finds herself slightly panicked when she has to come down to their floor to secure her new badge. Which she needs to access the building, certain floors, and some very confidential documents. But right now, Hyejin is even scarier than them.

 

« I was out of town for a week. »

 

« You came back since. »

 

« Yes and I was busy. »

 

It is the truth. This week has been busy, she had to meet clients here and there across town. She didn’t even had a minute for herself, and Hyejin might have slipped out of her mind. This is why she left the girl a note.

 

« I left you a note. »

 

« It only said: Busy. Sorry. »

 

Which felt almost insulting to Hyejin. Yongsun never treats her like this. She is the type to send long emails just to ask Hyejin for lunch, to explain something simple for longer than necessary just because she feels excited, and to go the extra mile just to get exactly what she wants. Not to slap two lame words to Hyejin’s face.

 

« Oh. It did? I am sorry, Hyejin. It is a misunderstanding, I asked my associate to write it for me, I shouldn’t have, I now realize. I am terribly sorry, Hyejin. »

 

Hyejin frowns.

 

« Why didn’t you just email me? »

 

« Oh… You are going to laugh, but I logged out of my mailbox, and couldn’t find my password. Unfortunately, I do not have your email registered, and I was too busy with meetings to ask the IT floor for help. »

 

« You are a disaster. »

 

Yongsun smiles.

 

« It would have been easier if I had your phone number. »

 

Hyejin looks longly at Yongsun. Either this woman was one unlucky person, or she was the most terrible when it came to technology. Still, she looks terribly sorry, and Hyejin doesn’t believe herself to be of bad faith.

 

« Give me your phone. »