Chapter [1] : The encounter.

The Windy Romance

 

« Hum… »

 

The distinct sound of a gum being chewed resonates against Hyejin’s left ear. She doesn’t like it at all, but she puts up with it, waiting patiently for her superior’s opinion on her work.

 

Hyejin, Ahn Hyejin as it is spelled on her work’s badge, is a junior in the IT team of a well-known law firm. After a successful internship with them during her last college year, she has landed a full time job with the company. Law Gangnam, the famous name made her parent proud and her fellow classmate a bit envious.

 

The IT junior is now two months old among a team of senior members. Ever since she has taken the position, she has been under the direction of Hangwang – Hyejin doesn’t know his last name – and has been doing all the unpleasant work he isn’t a fan of.

 

« It looks good to me. »

 

An irritating “pop” finishing the sentence.

 

« Keep it up, kiddo. »

 

This nickname again. It is a tradition around the team to call the latest hired kiddo, a tradition Hyejin doesn’t like one tiny bit. One of her coworkers has gracefully explained it would go away with time. Time isn’t running fast enough in Hyejin’s opinion.

 

« Hello grumpy, Hyejinnie. Do you want coffee? »

 

Moon Byulyi.

 

« What’s making you grumpy this early, exactly? »

 

« Enough with the alexandrines. »

 

A small sigh escapes Hyejin’s lips.

 

« My boss is the reason… »

 

« Ah. Hangwang. »

 

Byulyi, another senior in the IT team has managed to form a positive connection with Hyejin ever since the woman has started at the company as an intern. She is according to Hyejin’s words deadly alive – whatever she means by those words. Byulyi is one of the few who easily knows how to understand Hyejin’s deep but quiet personality.

 

« I come bearing good news. Do you want to hear it? »

 

« I would like that. I would also like for alexandrines to say in poetry books. »

 

« I’ll be the one in charge on our next assignment. »

 

Hyejin subtly rolls her eyes.

 

« Starting next week, you will be working under me. We are tasked to create the new archive system. »

 

Wonderful is thinking Hyejin while her fingers are busy on her keyboard. At least she will no longer have to deal with Hangwang popping his gum in her eardrum.

 


 

« There is something you need to understand, Hyejin. »

 

Byulyi’s chopsticks are dangerous, pointing in Hyejin’s direction while holding her next bite. Hyejin wishes the woman to seriously not splash any of her sauce on her clothes.

 

« The lawyers, the IT department, all of us. We’re all working together under Law Gangnam. It’s our joint effort which makes this company works. So, I will ask you gently just this one time, please. »

 

Hyejin already knows what it is all about: the bad event with one of the lawyers of the firm earlier. Hyejin believes she isn’t the one at fault. Apparently, Byulyi isn’t sharing her point of view.

 

Earlier, one of the lawyers, Kim Yongsun – from what Hyejin has read on her badge – had come down to the IT floor for a problem with her login. Usually, the person at the front desk takes care of this kind of business, unfortunately, they were busy somewhere else. Hyejin had the luck – or bad luck – of passing by.

 

From one sentence to another, the lawyer and the IT junior ended up in a heated argument. Fortunately, the person in charge of the front desk came back before things got totally out of hand and provided Yongsun the solution she needed.

 

The episode could have ended here, unfortunately, Yongsun has reported the episode to a superior and since then Hyejin has met with Moon Byulyi’s “unnie side”; which means nonstop monologue about how the lawyers and the IT department are working hand in hand. She isn’t escaping it, even during her lunch break.

 

« This lunch is unbearable. I will check if they have something else. »

 

Hyejin doesn’t even bother to take the way to the convenience store inside the company building. She leaves the table with all of her stuffs. A few seconds later and she has her afternoon free. Hangwang has accepted her quick demand and she is graceful for the gesture.

 

Two trains later and she is in her neighborhood walking in the middle of the street while her earphones are humming soft jazzy songs. The clouds above her head are playing with the sun and she can feel the sun’s warmth on her skin here and then. It feels like spring.

 

Hyejin runs to the nearest flower show, and goes out with a full bouquet of tulips. White tulips. She breathes in them, and walks to her building. Relaxed, she puts them on the coffee table and sits down in front of them.

 

The incident at the office should be put behind, and that is why she has bought the white tulips. Forgiveness.

 

Quiet and kind, are two accurate ways of describing Hyejin’s character. It is also how Hyejin would describe herself if she is asked to do so. Why did she felt so much anger arise from herself earlier, then? Her index is already playing with one of the delicate petals and her mind is wondering around the question.

 

Anger is a cover for a deeper emotion. But which one, exactly?

 

Hyejin is already moving to her record player, putting a random LP on, letting the music fill her apartment. Her body moves from memory while her mind is fixated on her issue. Why was she so angry toward this Yongsun lawyer?

 


 

Byulyi is easy to talk to and her quick minds make it even easier. Hyejin doesn’t have to order her thoughts before delivering them. Byulyi will somehow understand the entanglement of thoughts coming from . Maybe this is why she is now sitting on the comfortable sofa of a counselor?

 

But it definitely is not explaining why is Kim Yongsun sitting right next to her, on the same sofa, with a frown.

 

« I am glad you were able to join us, Miss Ahn. Can I call you Hyejin? »

 

« If it makes the process easier. »

 

A polite smile from the counselor.

 

« You see, as I was explaining to Yongsun, my purpose it to help you find and understand the part of your relationship which are not going the right way. This process is to help you grow and understand yourself as well as your relationship. »

 

A silence.

 

Hyejin wonders why are they attending the same session and if it is really how it is supposed to be.

 

« Now that both of you have understood the purpose of counseling, I think we can start. How would you describe your relationship, right now? Yongsun? Maybe you could start. »

 

« Chaotic. No. Rude. Yes, rude would be an accurate description. »

 

« Are you agreeing, Hyejin? »

 

« Aren’t you just describing your own character? »

 

« Excuse me? »

 

« You are rude. You are making this relationship rude. »

 

« We aren’t here to judge the other’s opinion, but to understand each other’s opinion. Hyejin, you need to be understanding of Yongsun’s feelings even you do not agree with them. »

 

« Our relationship is rude, but not because of me. »

 

« We are not searching for a culprit. Hyejin, how would you describe your relationship with Yongsun? »

 

« Unpleasant. »

 

Hyejin watches as the counselor is writing down some notes. Her pen comes to a stop and she raises her head toward the two women sitting on her sofa.

 

A good distance is found between the two. Yongsun even has her handbag on her side, her back straight, her dark and long hair acting as a curtain between Hyejin and herself. The counselor also notices her bouncing leg and her fingers playing with the lowest button of her shirt. Hyejin on the other side of the sofa is busy in her own thoughts, still and slightly slouched.

 

« Since it is the first session, it doesn’t have to be really long. I will now share with you what I believe you two should work on. »

 

A little pause.

 

Hyejin drinks from the glass of water present in front of her. Yongsun’s leg is still bouncing up and down. The counselor wonders if her heel will break from the constant and aggressive movement.

 

« I believe, since you two came to the session, you are both aware of the issues existing in your relationship. In a way, this is a proof you both want to work it out. That’s a really good start. Of course, it is not enough to make things work.

 

I will ask you a little work for our next session. Each of you will tell one nice thing to the other. It can be anything. I just want you to say something nice to each other once a day until we see each other again. Do you think this is manageable? »

 

Hyejin’s eyes go to Yongsun.

 

Yongsun’s leg stops bouncing.

 

« Yes, this is very much manageable. »

 

Yongsun doesn’t even spare Hyejin a glance.

 

« Yes. »

 

« Good. On this note, see you two next week, same time. »