Chapter [2] : The compliments.

The Windy Romance

 

« Hyejin. Someone is asking for you at the front desk. »

 

Hyejin lets out a long sigh, puts down her earphone and walks to the front desk.

 

« Yongsun. … What can I do for you? »

 

« I have a problem with my computer. »

 

« I am sure many other people are qualified to help you through this issue. »

 

Yongsun’s eyes don’t leave Hyejin’s one second. There is something assertive telling the IT junior the computer problem is more complex and she is the only competent one to deal with it.

 

« Where is the computer? »

 

Hyejin follows Yongsun to the elevator.

 

Obviously it is in her office. Why is everyone having such a hard time understanding the word portable in portable computer?

 

« Is that a new nail polish? »

 

Hyejin nods, looks at her nails and shows them at Yongsun in the process.

 

« They are really pretty. I like the design. »

 

« You don’t have to force yourself so hard. »

 

« I am sincere. »

 

Hyejin smiles, looks a last time at her nails and then at Yongsun.

 

« Thank you. You have pretty hands too. You should get your nails done one of this days. »

 

Yongsun gives her hands a look. So does Hyejin.

 

Her hands seem smaller than Hyejin’s, her nails are well-kept and she is wearing rings to five of her fingers. Small, delicate, golden rings.

 

« I’ll give it a though, maybe. »

 

The elevator has arrived, they walk toward Yongsun’s office – situated at the end of the corridor –, they have to walk through most of the office to get there and Hyejin remembers how snooty some lawyers are. Yongsun isn’t this type of lawyer, Hyejin is grateful for it deep down.

 

« Here. »

 

Yongsun closes the door behind Hyejin, and shows her the computer with a glance.

 

« What is the problem with it? »

 

Yongsun sits down, busy with the device for Hyejin to see what is the issue. The later is standing right behind Yongsun, waiting but her eyes ares still very much focused on Yongsun’s hands.

 

Maybe a dark and warm color will suit the lawyer?

 

« Are you listening? See. I can’t access my files. »

 

« May I? »

 

Yongsun gives Hyejin her seat, and stands next to her, observing the skillful IT junior handle the issue. She tries to focus on the screen where the mouse is moving rapidly, Hyejin’s fingers run on the keyboard. Her eyebrows are frowning, and the way her lips are pinched together makes it possible for Yongsun to see the long dimple on her cheek.

 

Cute.

 

« Yongsun. »

 

« Ah yes? »

 

« You are very close. »

 

The lawyer immediately takes a step back, apologizing with half a voice. She doesn’t even notice the grin on Hyejin’s lips. Instead she decides to walk around her office, but after looking at all the familiar furnitures, she quickly finds herself back behind Hyejin, looking over her shoulder.

 

« You smell nice. »

 

« I will not count for tomorrow. »

 

« What? Ah. »

 

The counselor's assignment.

 

« No, I mean it. You do smell really nice. I just never told you before. »

 

Hyejin signs, amused at the sentence.

 

« So you have noticed a while ago? »

 

« Yes. I… Wait. Why are you smiling? »

 

Yongsun can see Hyejin’s face reflecting on her computer’s screen.

 

« Your computer is fixed. »

 

Hyejin stands up and Yongsun’s nose takes a good blow of her perfume. Something fancy, rather chic and subtle to the nose. A bit like Hyejin’s personality if you ask Yongsun. It is fresh but so feminine. Yongsun likes it a lot.

 


 

There is something going on with IT junior Ahn Hyejin and lawyer Kim Yongsun.

 

That is the first entry in Yongsun’s personal diary after a long time. She hasn’t written anything in months, but these days it has been slowly filling up with nonsense. Nonsense?

 

Yongsun has been looking forward to the moments Hyejin and her would meet at the office. Hyejin tends to compliment Yongsun after her lunch break, she usually sends a mail to the lawyer. Yongsun likes to see Hyejin’s reaction to her words, and she goes a bit out of her way to have a few minutes with the IT junior.

 

Hyejin isn’t very responsive to Yongsun’s words, she doesn’t blush or stutters like people usually do around Yongsun. She thanks Yongsun, and that’s it. Yet, Yongsun sees how Hyejin analyzes her as well, by the end of the week, her compliments are more detailed. The last one pointing out how her make up really suited her, making her lips look more appealing. Is it even work appropriate?

 

Yongsun closes her diary. She doesn’t have much to write about. She is scared to let her thoughts narrate a story that isn’t even happening. Hyejin is only following the counselor instructions, and there is no need to think deeply about it.

 

Instead, she goes for a shower, and decides to go visit her sister. If she stays on her own for too long, she fears her internal monologue will make her go crazy. She prefers to be in the company of her sister, even if it means helping her doing chores, as long as she doesn’t have to think too much.

 


 

It feels like a breath of fresh air to work under Byulyi’s leadership. Hyejin finally has her own tasks, no one is chewing their gum loudly in her ear, and Byulyi lets her enough freedom to make her own schedule. She only has to report at the end of the week where her work is going.

 

Hyejin doesn’t hear her phone ringing on her desk, her earphones on her ears are keeping her away from the world around her as she types more coding lines. The new archive system is slowly building itself, but the constant check with the UI and UX designers make the process longer. Hyejin isn’t a big fan of the constant mail exchanging, and she wishes she wouldn’t need them.

 

Hello. It is Yongsun. I was wondering if you had lunch already? If not, would you like to join me? My treat.

 

Hyejin looks at the mail popping on her screen, she smiles. She finds it funny that Yongsun always reminds her that she is the sender when her mail address already contains it. Hyejin looks at the time, her eyes look around the office and she realizes it is mostly empty. After all, it is Wednesday and most of the IT department work from home this day of the week.

 

Hyejin answers to Yongsun’s mail, and a few minutes later, the lawyer is down to the IT floor. She waits at the front desk for Hyejin to finish before going down to the parking lot.

 

« We are going far? »

 

« Kinda. I will explain to your boss I am the one at fault if they ask about it. »

 

« That won’t be necessary. »

 

« Still. I do not want you to be in trouble. »

 

Hyejin rolls her eyes, Yongsun is such a goody two-shoes. She follows the rules to the letter, and Hyejin believes this is why she is a lawyer. This is also why she agreed to Yongsun’s invitation. Their counselor told them to keep on giving each other a compliment a day and to try to share a nice moment only the two of them.

 

Hyejin has been responding to the negative to most of Yongsun’s attempts, and since she wants the counseling to end as fast as possible, she finally agreed to the lunch date. After all, how can she say no to food?

 

« Here. »

 

Yongsun shows a car hidden behind others. Hyejin forgets to close when she sees a Porsche Spyder flashing and Yongsun opening the passenger door for her to climb in. If she thinks her salary at Law Gangnam is more than comfortable, Yongsun’s must be crazy.

 

Yongsun’s driving skills are also crazy, Hyejin discovers a few minutes after climbing into the expensive car. The lawyer seems to have a total disregard for safety of the other users while still following the traffic laws. It is both dangerous and strangely legal, to Hyejin’s terrifying experience.

 

It is pure luck – according to Hyejin – that they make it to the restaurant alive.

 

« Do you like tteokbokki? »

 

Hyejin nods, she has a hard time believing they drove through half the city just for some tteokbokki when there is a place near the company building. Yongsun explains how this one is the best since the ratio of rice cake and fish cake with the spicy sauce is exactly perfect in all forms. Hyejin wants to laugh.

 

Yongsun is very much serious about the subject, this is the only reason she doesn’t laugh at the lawyer. It has nothing to do with the child-like joy which appears on her face when the aunty serves them their dish. Hyejin doesn’t pick her chopsticks instantly, her attention is taken by Yongsun.

 

« Those are delicious. I hope you don’t mind the spiciness. »

 

« I believe I can manage. »

 


 

« Sunbaenim, where are you? I- No! I did nothing, Hangwang forgot he put everyone in copy of his mails, and now the UX and UI designers refuse to respond to my mails. I can’t work on the archive system if I don’t have their approval for the next step. »

 

Hyejin groans in the phone. Byulyi has taken the day off, except the IT department is in shamble thanks to Hangwang. Hyejin has walked away, deciding to go for a coffee rather than staying in the chaos.

 

Byulyi only responded to her call because Hyejin never calls, and it can only mean it is an emergency. She instructs her junior to try to find some common ground with the designers and that she will deal with Hangwang’s mistake tomorrow. Hyejin sends a mail to Hangwang telling him Byulyi told him to take the afternoon off, Hyejin then mutes her phone and continues to drink her coffee.

 

« Good afternoon, Hyejin. »

 

Hyejin doesn’t say anything when Yongsun sits down in front of her, an extra large coffee in her hand. The lawyer seems tired, Hyejin notices her lose hair coming from her ponytail, and the collar of her shirt coming from under her jacket.

 

« I hope you are having a better day than I. »

 

Hyejin bits her lips, the want to straighten Yongsun’s shirt is making her fingers tingle. She busies her hand with her coffee cup, and hides her other hand in her jeans’ pocket. Yongsun gives her a small smile, her two dimples are nowhere to be found.

 

« I ran away from my problems. »

 

Yongsun frowns at Hyejin’s words, the IT junior offers her a sympathetic smile. They look at each other for a moment, and then naturally laugh together. Yongsun puts her hand in front of .

 

« Do you think I could help you? Or it is IT related? »

 

Hyejin thinks a moment, when she looks back at the lawyer, she is already smiling her way. Hyejin decides to give a shot and stands up, telling Yongsun to follow her toward the elevator.

 

« It is fine if you can’t do much. Byulyi sunbaenim will handle it tomorrow. »

 

It so happens that Yongsun is a lawyer – someone competent in handling conflict of interest and negotiating –, an important information Hyejin doesn’t seem to remember. The woman is blown away as she hears Yongsun handling the conflict between the designers and Hangwang. The tension on the IT floor slowly disappears, Hyejin hears someone sighing happily, and the sound of the keyboard back to ordinary.

 

« Here. Your sunbae won’t have much to deal with tomorrow. »

 

Yongsun smiles, two dimples showing now. Hyejin gives the lawyer her extra large cup of coffee back, and walks her to the elevator. The doors open, Hyejin watches Yongsun smile her way before the door closes. Hyejin sees the exhaustion back on Yongsun’s face the moment she stops smiling.

 

The IT junior goes to the front desk and informs she has been asked to help on the lawyers floor before riding to the said floor. She walks across the floor, determined to not give any attention to the lawyers and assistants running around her. Somehow they are always in a hurry for something.

 

Yongsun’s office, at the end of the corridor is opened, Hyejin enters and closes the door behind herself.

 

« How can I help you? »

 

Yongsun looks up from her computer, eyes softening at Hyejin’s sight.

 

Hyejin listens, Yongsun explains her how she has been searching for a document on her computer without much luck, making it a lot harder for her to finish handling a file she has to print and get ready fro tomorrow morning. On top of it, she has managed to lock herself out of the company system since she has forgotten her password, but she did not have the time to call for anyone in the IT team as she was busy with meetings.

 

Hyejin chuckles discreetly, she takes Yongsun’s spot behind the desk and goes to the interface of the company system, she puts her own login, and opens another window on the side. Yongsun behind her watches attentively the woman working.

 

« … I was thinking. Maybe we should exchange numbers. »

 

« What for? »

 

« I would only have to call you next time I have a problem with my computer. »

 

« So I become your personal IT person? »

 

« No! That’s… That’s not what I meant. »

 

Hyejin continues to write down lines of codes, searching for Yongsun’s logins through the files data. Her eyes still notice Yongsun playing with the button of her shirt right next to her.

 

« If I invite you for lunch, won’t it be more convenient to sent you a text than an email. »

 

« There isn’t much difference. I think emails work just fine. »

 

Hyejin bites her lips, something is wrong and she can’t access the employees data file. Obviously, Hangwang must have reinforced the security. She leans back in the chair for a moment, her eyes scan the room for a moment until she finds Yongsun’s eyes.

 

« Oh. »

 

Hyejin straightens up suddenly, surprising Yongsun. Her fingers type quickly on the keyboard, Yongsun leans in to see what causes the excitement.

 

Lines of codes.

 

Instead, she looks at Hyejin, her nails changed again, this time green. Her hair are in a half bun, they are cascading down her back, and seems soft to the touch. Yongsun wants to bring everything to the tiredness when she runs her fingers through the black locks. Soft.

 

« You had something there. »

 

There was nothing.

 

« Do you have something so I can write down your new login? »

 

Yongsun opens a drawer, she hands Hyejin a pen and a note-block. The IT writes down username and password, she goes back to the computer, closes windows, deletes some files before showing Yongsun that it now works perfectly well. Her tone lets it heard that the lawyer better not mess up with her login again.

 

« Now. What file were you searching for? »

 

It takes close to five minutes for Hyejin to find it among Yongsun’s many unorganized files. It is apparently a quick tip, she shows it to the lawyer a couple of time, and writes down simple indication for her to remember. Hyejin has figured the computer is not the strongest suit of Yongsun.

 

« Thank you, Hyejin. It is not much for you, but you saved my day. »

 

Hyejin stands up, she takes a step in Yongsun’s personal space, and reaches out for her shirt. Gently, she pushes the collar back under the jacket as it should be, and straightens it up. She dusts it off warmly before stepping back.

 

« Here. It was bothering me. »

 

Once the door of her office is closed, Yongsun lets out a breath she did not know she was holding. Her cheeks become red, she hides her face in her hands, and does breathing exercises before being able to go back to work.