Thirty-Six

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A month quickly passes by. Minju finally moved into the school dorms, thinking she didn't have many things.

Still, she needed help so Wonyoung came with her.

"Is that the last one?" The taller girl enters the door with a box in her arms. She places it where Minju wants it.

"Yup, that's the last one." The brunette looks around this tiny space.

A rectangular room with a big window directly opposite the door. On the left side of the room were the shoe rack and a long study table. On the right was the L-shaped countertop with kitchen resources. Of course, there's a bathroom just next to it.

It's a lot smaller than the apartment but she couldn't complain. "Thank you."

Wonyoung smiles. "I have nothing much to do anyway. Do you want to go eat before you start unpacking?"

"I'm very hungry." Minju has been up since six in the morning.

"You're always hungry." Wonyoung chuckles. She held the girl by the shoulder and brought her out of the room.

She pats the tired girl's head. "You weren't even the one carrying the boxes," she said. "But you shifted them around so you should be tired. Let's eat a lot then. I have someone I want you to meet."

"Someone?" Minju looks at her as they walked out of the dormitory building.

Wonyoung hums. "I want you to be the first person to see him."

"Him?"

...

Minju soon found herself sitting in one of the school's biggest cafeterias. They serve the best Korean food here that had the most side dishes. She looks at the guy beside Wonyoung. He looks familiar.

Minju observes the way he dresses. A casual loose khaki button-up with black trousers. He has brown hair parted in 7:3, loosely covering his forehead. Neat. He's tall. Maybe one of the tallest guy Minju has met in her life.

Those clear, affectionate eyes tell her he was no trouble. They were great for acting if he were an actor. He looks like one.

Minju looks at Wonyoung. "Who is..."

"My boyfriend."

Very surprised, Minju goes, "Boyfriend?"

The guy leans into Wonyoung's ear. "I thought you said we were meeting your first love." He wasn't quite whispering but felt intimidated by what Wonyoung told her.

However, in front of him was a feisty, little brunette that didn't seem intimidating at all.

Wonyoung gave him a nod and he purely understood. "I'm Lee Chaemin. Wonyoung's boyfriend." He reaches over for a gentle fist bump.

Minju found it funny but accepted it. "You didn't say you have a boyfriend." She grinds through her teeth, smiling at the polite guy.

"I honestly thought I was going up against a guy that great to have taken her heart for the first time. But this isn't any better because I have to compete in the category of being lovable. I don't think I stand a chance but I have a lot to learn from you." He shows a clean smile, turning to Wonyoung with the Did I do this right look on his face.

She looked at Minju who was dying from curiosity. That teasing smile made her want to tell her everything.

"Last year. He came to Harvard for an exchange program. It wasn't even for long, about a month?" She turns to him.

Chaemin looked excited to tell their story so she let him. He faces Minju. "I've always known this Japanese phrase. Koi No Yokan. That's how I felt about her the first time I saw her in the admission office. I wasn't even a day into settling myself down in the US. I saw her and absolutely fell in love with her smile. It was so beautiful I thought I was living in a movie. But I knew nothing would happen because I'm not one to approach a stranger. Then a miracle came, she was in charge of the group of exchange students. Turns out she's Korean too. That was the second time I saw her and my heart went, we definitely love her. So I talked to her and as expected, I knew I was going to love her. But that exchange program ended soon before I got to do anything because she was also busy. So I asked for her number and you had no idea how tough it was trying to contain my happiness when she gave it to me." His smile was one of pure love.

His eyes had no other intention than to ensure he'll love the girl next to him. The way he makes sure Wonyoung was eating enough and maintaining a comfortable atmosphere.

"Then how did all this happen?" Minju looks at Wonyoung who finally gave her thoughts.

"He kept on calling me when he returned here."

"I did not." Chaemin frowns playfully.

"Once every two days," Wonyoung said. "I was always tired after a long day. But sometimes I wonder how he manages to call me in the afternoon when we're 13 hours apart."

"I'll do anything to call you." He helps peel off the perilla leaf, putting it in Wonyoung's spoon. "Then I told her I liked her even though really, I love her. I was always afraid of rejection but I had to try. I expected her to ignore me for a while but she never fails to answer my calls."

Minju looks at Wonyoung who was smiling at him. Not the forced kind, but a genuine one.

"She video-called me that one night and told me she felt the same. Even when we're far apart, everything somehow worked out."

"So you're here for him." The brunette gave Wonyoung the look of realisation.

Chaemin chuckles at both of them. "I like this," he said. "Instead of keeping it from me, she wanted me to meet you before we start getting serious. I've always known that there would be someone she has loved before and the first thought I had was wanting to meet them. You're the first person she told me about. I figured I can only love her with all I have instead of thinking there's someone much better than me."

"Just get married. You have my blessing." The brunette told him. She liked seeing Wonyoung have someone who loves her truly that distance didn't matter.

Chaemin was one of a kind. Not like other guys she has met.

They had a good lunch before the guy had to get back to his classes. He's an aspiring actor. A senior in K-Arts.

Walking along the art building to digest their lunch, Wonyoung got those squeezable ice cream for the both of them. She looks at Minju as if she were wanting her to say something.

"What are you, a stray cat giving her kitten to a nice person? Why are you asking for my opinion? Is that why you made me meet him?" The brunette gave her a little side-eye, on the plastic.

Wonyoung chuckles at the way she puts things. "Is he go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter