Thirty

The One I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The mall after school is always filled with people. Even on Wednesdays, Yujin wonders if people come here for the sake of killing time.

She's alone today, strolling past stores. Why is she alone?

Wonyoung has academy, Minju's sending her brother to the military and Yuri and Yena were out.

Sometimes, Yujin misses the fights she gets into. She always wins and it was fun for her. Sadistic much.

She went into a bookstore, trailing her eyes over the array of books until she gets to the gift section. Her sole purpose for coming here is to get a gift.

For who?

"What is surprising?" She flattens her lips, picking out an ice globe that was made in the shape of a frog. "Are frogs trending lately?" She questions the frequency of her spotting frog-related items.

She puts it back and walks more. But nothing caught her eye. "I should've just asked her to come. But at the same time, it wouldn't be a surprise anymore." She sighs, not worrying about being seen as a crazy person talking to herself.

She goes out of the store, taking a view of what stores there are in this mall.

Soon she found herself going to the highest level, slowly making her way down to the lowest.

It has been an hour and she finally found something.

At a pharmacy.

"This is perfect." She lifts a tiny box of bandaids, smiling. It might only be plasters but there were cartooned frogs designed all over it. It even comes in different sizes.

Since Minju gets injured a lot, it's the perfect gift. She can use it too. Practical.

A little girl around the age of four came beside her. "Can I have that?" She points at the box Yujin was holding.

The taller girl looks at the shelf, realising she was holding onto the last one. She looks at the girl who pleaded with those big eyes of hers.

"No?"

The little girl pouts. "I love frogs. They're my favourite animals. It's the last one here, they're limited edition. I must have it."

"Why must you have it?" Yujin couldn't believe she was talking to a kid. She feels a lot like Minju. Maybe this is what Minju was like when she was young, she thought.

She watched as the girl's eyes lost their spark, the corner of her lips winding down. Disappointment splashes all over her face.

"Fine, fine. You can have it." Yujin gave it to her. That just means she'll have to continue searching.

When the girl smiled, Yujin didn't know whether she should feel unfair or delighted the girl got what she wanted. Watching the toddler run off, she sighs.

Not even a second later, she came back, shoving a lollipop into Yujin's hand. She happily ran off again, leaving her bewildered.

"I guess kids aren't so annoying." She unwraps the candy, puts it into and walks out of the pharmacy.

She went to every store possible but left empty-handed. "This is not my day." She swirls the lollipop in .

A girl suddenly gets in her way, making her stop. "Hm?"

"Do you wanna check out our latest promotion?"

"No thanks." Yujin excuses herself but walks back when she notices the board and a small basket she was holding. "I get to pick whatever I want and fit it into this small basket for a fixed price?" Her eyes went to the nametag with the name Kang Hyewon engraved on it.

It was an art supplies store that opened recently.

The girl nods. "We also provide gifting services if you're getting this as a gift."

Yujin immediately follows her into the store, receiving a basket from her. No one walks past a good deal. The basket could fit at least one basketball.

She looks at the girl when they stood in the middle of the store. "Whatever I want?"

"Whatever you want."

Yujin takes in a deep breath. There were many things. Brushes, canvases, paints, markers. Literally, anything you would find at an art supply store.

She went aisle by aisle, picking out things she has seen Minju using. She recalls something she has always been wanting to have.

Yujin goes to where the Copic markers were. She heard it was expensive. Minju mostly does paintings but has a few sketchbooks of her own.

Either left in graphite or black and white.

Yujin takes a few different boxes filled with markers and puts them into the basket. "Won't they go broke?" She worries for the store owner.

Whatever it was, she spent quite some time in there.

When she was finally done, she hands it over to the same girl who brought her in. Waiting in the corner while she packs it up nicely, she heard her say, "Do you want to write something?"

Yujin sees her extending a small card. She takes it, receives a pen and gets asked to use the table they had.

"Letters are my thing, this shouldn't be hard." She writes, fitting words into that tiny card.

The reason for this gift was the deal they had. Minju helped her with all she could for them to be where they are now. If Yujin didn't cross paths with her, who knows which juvenile centre she'll be at right now?

Hyewon finishes packing the items, glancing at Yujin who was fully focused on writing. "I've never seen someone write for so long," she mumbles, admiring this customer of hers.

Another girl with hair tied into a bun came beside her. "Who is that? Why are you staring?"

Hyewon looks at Ye Eun, a part-timer, also one of her friends. "Wouldn't it feel nice to have someone being so thoughtful for such a small thing? Do you think she's a university student? Why is she so beautiful?" Yujin wasn't in her school uniform.

Ye Eun gave a teasing look. "You're supposed to be here working, not stare at every customer who walks in and think you can make a move on them." She nudges her shoulder, zipping up when Yujin walks towards them.

She hands the card to Hyewon who smiles, fitting it into the box. Hyewon takes a slip of paper from the side and slides it to Yujin. "You can write your number down if you want updates on our promotions."

The taller girl tilts her head. "It's okay. I don't think I'll be here often."

"Why? You looked like you'd entered paradise the moment you walk in here." Ye Eun speaks up, knowing her friend just wanted the latter's number. "Unless this is for your..." She points at the box. "Girlfriend?"

Yujin looks at both of them, realising why they wanted her number. "I do have a girlfriend," she says, handing Hyewon her credit card so she could pay.

An hour before school started, Yuri was already seen walking out of her apartment. The sun wasn't even up yet.

She was busy tying her hair up when she sees Yena at the guard house, waving at her. It's not every day the latter appears here.

Yena waited for her with a little paper bag in her hand as Yuri steps out of the little gate. "What are you doing here?" She looks back, seeing her mother through the glass doors, going back up to the unit.

"Waiting for you," Yena said.

Yuri quickly brings her out of sight of anyone who lives there. "Don't come here without telling me next time."

"It was supposed to be a surprise." Yena looks at the hand grabbing her forearm. "I made you this." She opens the paper bag for her to see.

Yuri notices the little yellow lunchbox sitting inside. "What is it?"

"I was watching a youtube video the other day and decided to make this." Yena takes it out. "You like Japanese food, right?"

"How do you know?"

Yena felt as if she earned another point with those wide eyes hers. "I have my sources," she said, putting the box back in the bag. Minju was the source.

"Are you going to keep holding onto me?"

Yuri wonders what she was talking about. She sees Yena looking at her hand. Everything felt so natural, it failed to cross her mind. Maybe this was the love Yena was talking about.

It ur

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter