Chapter eighteen

After us

-Goodbye, have a nice evening, I greeted the driver of the cab that took me home.
I had just spent the day with my sister and father for my birthday. Even though my mother's absence was greatly felt I managed to have a good day. I got lots of presents and was showered with love and attention.
Tonight I'm supposed to meet the boys at the chicken restaurant to celebrate my birthday together but I asked them yesterday if it was still safe to go and they didn't answer me. I'm a little worried that they won't be able to come anymore because of their respective schedules, I'll be really disappointed.
When I got back to my apartment everything was dark and Roxanne didn't even come to greet me. I fumbled the walls to try to find the light but before I could even touch the switch the light came on and I heard a hearty "Happy Birthday" shouted by several people.
Shocked and frightened I let out a loud scream before I looked up and saw all the boys looking at me with amused faces.
-What are you all doing here? I asked in shock.
-I thought you were all busy? You didn't even answer my message.
-Yes, it was a surprise Yeosang! Don't you like it? Wooyoung asked me.
-I'm really glad you're all here! I said and walked towards them.
Seonghwa quickly approached me and hugged me.
-Happy birthday Yeosangie, he whispered in my ear.
-Thank you so much, Hyung, I'm so glad you're here!
Seonghwa has recently resumed his modeling activities and he has very little free time. Seeing him here makes me extremely happy.
-Come on Yeosang, come and sit with us, we still have two hours to go before going to the restaurant, said Yunho, patting the chair next to him.
-So we always go to the restaurant, I asked cheerfully.
I don't hide from you that I'm very happy with this turn of events.
-Of course we're going, Sangie, we promised you and I know you're looking forward to your chicken, Hongjoong replied, ruffling my hair.
As I walked to the table to sit next to Yunho I felt two arms wrap around me preventing me from moving forward.
-Happy birthday my little Sangie, I love you more than anyone, said the person hanging on me.
I saw Wooyoung's eyebrows frown on the side, clearly displeased.
-I also love you very much Sannie, but I'm not sure if what you're saying makes Wooyoung very happy.
I felt his head lift from my neck and he said.
-I don't care anyway, you were always my favorite.
I laughed as I saw Wooyoung coming towards us with big steps and trying to separate us. San really likes to tease Wooyoung, he always knows how.
Finally San let go of me and put a kiss on Wooyoung's forehead. These two are a very cute couple.
No sooner had I sat down at the table than a large box magically appeared before me. I looked up and saw Mingi looking at me with a big smile.
-Open the hyung quickly! Mingi said.
I laughed at his eagerness and opened the box. Looking inside I saw a big brown teddy bear. I took it out of the box with a big smile and took it in my arms.
-Wow, thank you so much Mingi, I love him!
-I told you he would love it, Hyung, Mingi said, looking at Seonghwa.
The older boy glared at her.
-He won't like it any more than my present.
I laughed at their interaction and to think I managed to live without them for several months, I really don't know how I did it.
-What are you going to call him Yeosang? asked Wooyoung who was wrapped around San's arm.
I looked at the plushie straight in the eyes before deciding on his name.
-I'll call him Tony!
-Tony? Wooyoung asked me in surprise.
-Yes, I think his name is Tony, I said with a smile.
-It's a shame.
-Wooyoung doesn't say that! That's not true at all Yeosangie, Tony suits him very well, Seonghwa reassured me.
-Thank you hyung!
-Please open my present now! He asked me excitedly like a little boy.
I grabbed the box he handed me and opened it just as excited as he was.
When I saw the contents of the box I burst out laughing and held up a stuffed chicken that was way too realistic for my taste.
-Oh Hyung, it's so nice, it looks like a real one, I said, much too happy with my gift.
-You saw it! As soon as I saw it I knew I had to buy it from you.
-So Yeosang which stuffed animal do you prefer? Tony or the chicken?
I laugh softly as I hold Tony and the still unnamed chicken in my arms.
-I love them both equally Mingi.
He huffed and puffed in his chair at my answer. I smiled fondly.
-Whose present do you want to open now, Yeosang? Hongjoong asked me.
-Open mine! Wooyoung said.
-No, mine! shouted San.
-Actually I would love to open Jongho's, I replied.
Jongho looked at me with a smile, happy that I wanted to open his present. I grabbed the box and began to open it.
-Jongho's gift will be your favorite for sure Yeosang! Yunho said to me.
Even more excited than before I continued to open the gift. A smile appeared on my face when I saw the picture on the box.
-Jongho thank you very much I love it! It is so beautiful! Wow, it even has a built-in 4k camera!
I could hear the others laughing at my excitement. Jongho looked at me with a big smile.
-Glad you like it hyung, he said trying to hide his joy.
Jongho doesn't really like to show his emotions, but I know that right now he is really happy that I like his gift so much.
I finished opening the gifts of others and happily ate the cake that Wooyoung made.
While Seonghwa called a car to pick us up to go to the restaurant, I felt someone tap my shoulder and I saw Jongho.
-Can you come for two seconds hyung please, I would like to talk to you in private.
-Yes, of course, I followed him into the kitchen, curious to know what he had to say.
-I know, Hyung, that I haven't shown much concern or sadness about what happened to you in the past few months, and I feel very bad about that. But I know that I was very worried and sad, I felt so helpless, that's why I was so angry with Wooyoung, I was convinced that it was because of him that you wanted to kill yourself. Now I realize that it's the accumulation of many things, I've almost managed to forgive Wooyoung even if I think it will take me more time. But hyung I feel so bad for not being there for you! I wish I had been there as much as Seonghwa hyung or Hongjoong hyung. I mean Seonghwa even put his career on hold for you and I wasn't even able to spend more time with you when you were in the hospital. I also feel terrible for not supporting you when Mingi accused you, I should have believed you and not left you alone, you must have felt so lonely, I'm so sorry hyung, I really hope you will forgive me, Jongho said breathlessly.
Touched by his words I took him in my arms and held back my tears, I don't want to cry on my birthday.
-Jongho I never blamed you for anything in the first place. You were perfect from the beginning to the end and I don't blame you at all for not supporting me, I totally understand why you did that. I know that everything affected you as much as anyone else and you just don't show your emotions like everyone else. I'm really glad to have you by my side and honestly I wouldn't know what to do without you Jongho, I love you very much okay? Never forget that. You are our precious maknae and I will always be by your side.
I left his embrace and looked at him with soft eyes.
-Thank you hyung, thank you very much I really needed to hear that.
-I'm glad you came and opened up to me Jongho.
We quickly joined the others in the hallway who were looking at us with implied looks. I brushed off their funny looks and went downstairs to the car. I'm really looking forward to eating my chicken.
When we got to the restaurant, we all sat down at the table we had reserved and happily flipped through the menu.
As soon as the orders were placed we started talking.
-So if I understood correctly Jongho and I are the only single people.
The others looked at me and laughed.
-Yes, we are all couples, Seonghwa said, looking at Hongjoong with eyes full of love.
I smiled at their more than visible love.
-I'm still waiting for you to find someone Yeosang, Wooyoung said with a smile.
-I will see but for now I enjoy my life alone.
-Yes you're right Yeosangie, enjoy it, take your time, said San.
-Hey what does that mean! You're not happy with me! Wooyoung replied.
Everyone laughed at their reaction.
-Yes, of course, Woo, I don't regret anything, he answered falsely afraid.
-You'll see tonight!
-No, no, we still don't want to know what you're going to do tonight, Mingi said, covering her ears.
-Like you and Yunho anyway, Wooyoung replied.
We all laughed at Yunho and Mingi's indignation. We know very well that they don't look each other in the eye.
Finally our food arrived and we all started to eat in joy and good mood.
I savored my chicken wings with the greatest of pleasure.
At the end of the evening, although reluctantly, we separated to go home. I thanked them again for the surprise and the great evening I had just spent. To have to leave each one on our side and not to return together as when we were in the dormitory breaks my heart, I would like so much to live that again.
Arriving home, exhausted from my day, I hurried to bed right after feeding Roxanne and Woo. By the way Wooyoung still doesn't know my cat's name, I'm so glad he didn't ask me, it would have really put me in a delicate situation.
Happy with my day I slipped under the covers holding my two new stuffed animals in my arms.
-Good night Tony, good night -a-doodle-doo.