Chapter 17

The Aftermath

Jay stood in the airport with Keonhee and Dongju, waiting on the plane that would take all three of them to Korea. Yunho and Dongmyeong would've seen them go but Arthur and Mujin had gone ahead due to the kings having a yearly meeting at Dann's mansion outside Seoul. That was where they would stay for the duration, at least until Dongju got registered for his classes at the university that Jay had attended.

 

“Are you sure everyone is looking forward to meeting me?” Asked Keonhee as he turned to Jay.

 

“Of course,” responded Jay as he nodded. “Also Seoho is expecting a spar between the three of us,” he added. “I hope you're ready,” he added.

 

“Ugh, I hope I don't end up bowing out immediately,” grumbled Keonhee.

 

“Come on, it's time to board!” Exclaimed Dongju as he ran over and dragged Jay and Keonhee to the gates.

 

~

 

When they landed in Incheon a familiar face was waiting for them as Jay exited the jetbridge, and a grin appeared on Jay's face when he saw who it was.

 

“Soobin!" Called Jay as he ran over, Dongju and Keonhee following after him.

 

“Hey,” greeted Soobin as he grinned. “You're definitely looking better,” he remarked, the grin turning into a soft smile as Jay nodded in confirmation.

 

“Did you just overlook the fact that I was here too?” Came a new voice as Jake walked over, wearing similar guard clothes to Soobin with one difference being the emblem on the sleeve of his long sleeve shirt.

 

“You did get into the guard!” Exclaimed Jay as he turned to Jake who grinned in pride at the exclamation.

 

“Yeah, it took some convincing, but I'm in it for the long run now,” explained Jake as he nodded his head. “Who knew that Australia had a king right?” He asked.

 

“Is your king here already?” Asked Keonhee as he looked curious.

 

“Oh yeah, he let me accompany Soobin to pick up you guys,” explained Jake as he nodded. “I'll be headed back to Australia after this big meeting to finish negotiations and if all goes well I don't have to worry about a thing,” he added.

 

“Well, shall we get your bags and go then?” Asked Soobin.

 

“We already have everything, so we're good to go,” replied Jay as he nodded his head.

 

"Alright, let's go then," Soobin commanded, turning and walking towards the entrance of the terminal. Everyone followed after him after making sure they had everything.

 

~

 

Jay and Keonhee stood face to face with Seoho who eyed them with a calculating look. It was finally time for that long awaited spar and the person overseeing it was Jahan while the others had joined in to see who would win this hand to hand combat spar.

 

“Alright, try not to destroy them in hand to hand combat yeah? I don't want you responsible for someone's death,” Jahan announced, the last part in a joking manner as he let out a light chuckle. “Let the spar begin!” He shouted, bringing his hand down.

 

Seoho was quick on his feet as he rushed forward, quickly going for Jay who moved as fast as he could to dodge the hand that was towards his chest in a strike. Seoho immediately followed it up by throwing a punch, something that Keonhee quickly moved to grab Seoho's arm and pushed it down.

 

Jay took a half step back before jumping in to deliver a kick, Seoho quickly moving to block it with his arm that wasn't held by Keonhee. Jay was quickly thrown back as Seoho threw up his arm and turned, going to throw a punch at Keonhee.

 

Keonhee jumped out of the way before moving to sweep Seoho off his feet in a low sweeping kick, keeping up the momentum as he pushed forward to slam into Seoho and send them both tumbling to the ground.

 

“Hah,” huffed Seoho as he let a chuckle escape him as he laid on his back with Keonhee hovering above him, panting as he looked down at Seoho. “This is the Keonhee I know!” He exclaimed as he brought his legs up and kicking Keonhee off him, being mindful of his strength as he got to his feet.

 

Keonhee landed on his back with a grunt, moving to stand after a few seconds, clutching at his ribs. He huffed out a laugh as Jay moved to tackle Seoho from behind.

 

“And this is the Jay I've come to know too it seems,” Seoho claimed as he felt arms circle around him and pin his arms behind him. “I concede,” he called, feeling Jay move away as Jahan declared Jay and Keonhee the winners of the spar.

 

~

 

“I see your guards trained them well,” commented Ivan as he turned to Arthur and Mujin who shrugged at his words.

 

“They were training for months to try and beat Seoho, at least Jay was,” responded Arthur as he shrugged. “Keonhee only joined in when Yunho mentioned off hand about his previous life as a part of Louis's guard,” he explained.

 

“Ah, that's why he seemed familiar,” remarked Dann as he hummed in thought. “And Seoho's comment just before the end of the spar,” he added, looking thoughtful.

 

“Ah, I miss Chiwoo sometimes,” sighed Jahan as he shook his head. “It seems we won't be seeing him for a while at least though,” he commented, looking thoughtful.

 

“I know it seems like I'm taking his place but you know that was never my intention,” came Hwon's voice as he walked over after having a talk with Keonhee and Jay and congratulating them on their win.

 

“We know," reassured Dann as he turned to Hwon. “We do appreciate you becoming more social around us even after everything,” he added.

 

~

 

“So what are your plans after this anyway?” Asked Dongju as everyone gathered around a bonfire outside in the backyard after dinner. “I know what Jay and Keonhee are doing, but what about everyone else?” He asked.

 

“Well,” hummed Soobin as he looked thoughtful. “I still have a year to go before I'm officially finished with school, but I'm wondering what's going on with Sunghoon and Jungwon,” he added, looking thoughtful.

 

“Jahan needed me for something so I'm not going to be around,” sighed Seoho as he shook his head. “I'll come visit one of these days, as soon as Jahan doesn't need me for more than a week,” he added, nodding to Jay and Keonhee.

 

“I'm around for a while,” responded Yeonjun as he shrugged. “I don't know what Ivan's plans are at the moment, but he's not returning to Russia for a while,” he explained. “I'll see what's up with Sunghoon and Jungwon, okay?” He asked, turning to Soobin who nodded.

 

“We're returning to the states, well Arthur and I,” explained Yunho. “I don't know what's happening with Mujin but it seems like he was needed back in Japan,” he added. “So Dongmyeong had to go with him,” he explained.

 

“I have the dorms to keep an eye on, but I'm going back with Jake to see this thing through,” explained Allen as he nodded. “I wanted to see what he would do and it seems like it was a good choice,” he added. “Hwon is still new to this thing, but I'm sure with time the others will come to accept him as they did Chiwoo,” he mused, looking thoughtful.

 

“Yeah, I have to head to Australia for that,” sighed Jake. “I think I'm ready but who knows,” he hummed. “I'm coming straight back to Korea afterwards though, because of classes and such,” he added.

 

“I think we're going to catch up with the others,” chimed in Jay. “Let Keonhee meet the group I was a part of,” he added. “Then we're stopping by where our soulmates are buried,” he explained.

 

“I need to learn Korean it seems,” sighed Keonhee as he rubbed the back of his neck, looking sheepish as the others who also spoke English chuckled at his antics.

 

“It's alright, I didn't speak Korean either when I moved here to finish high school,” reassured Jay as he spoke English. “Everyone here can speak English, but old habits die hard,” he explained. “Well, except Soobin, but he has time to learn,” he added.

 

“Oi,” whined Soobin. “I can too speak English,” he exclaimed, speaking English with a heavy Korean accent. “I'm just not as good at it as everyone else," he mumbled, pouting as everyone laughs at his antics.

 

~

 

Meeting the others was an experience for Keonhee that was for sure. He had learned a bit about everyone from Jay, and so far the only person who really accepted him from the old dorms Jay used to live in was Niki, who looked up to him like an older brother like he did with Jay.

 

“I guess we knew each other from before or something?” Asked Niki as he studied Keonhee. “I don't know much about past lives or anything but,” he added, shrugging. “Don't worry about Sunghoon and Jungwon though! They'll come around eventually, they just have to work through their problems first,” he reassured as Keonhee asked about those two.

 

“Sorry, we're normally more welcoming,” apologized Sunghoon as he rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. “It's just a bit of a hard time at the dorms right now with all the new transfers I'm hearing about,” he explained, with Jay translating for Keonhee.

 

“It's okay,” reassured Keonhee as he shook his head. “I'm sure it's a stressful time for everyone, my old roommate should've been at these dorms I think," he mused, looking thoughtful. “Do you know him?” He asked.

 

“What was his name?” Asked Niki as he blinked in surprise.

 

“Kevin,” responded Keonhee as he shrugged. “I think he transferred here anyway, along with his two best friends," he added.

 

“I know Kevin!” Exclaimed Jungwon. “He apparently dropped out though, couldn't handle it but his friends are still around I think,” he explained. “I don't know what happened to him but he probably returned back to the states,” he added.

 

“Huh, I wonder why he hasn't reached out to me yet,” mused Keonhee as he looked thoughtful.

 

~

 

The trip to see the resting places for both Younghoon and Sunoo was a quiet one, with Soobin having been the one to take them to the site where their ashes were. He was only there to provide support, as there wasn't much else to do but that.

 

“I guess we made it huh?” Asked Keonhee as he stood in front of the marker for Younghoon's resting place. Sunoo's was right beside his and Jay was standing right next to him.

 

“I guess so,” hummed Jay as he took out a picture and put it in front of the marker. “I'm glad we made it though,” he added. “I think we would've ended up here sooner or later anyway,” he hummed.

 

“Maybe,” commented Keonhee before he stepped away, looking back at Soobin who kept a respectable distance away.

 

“Are you ready to go already?” Asked Jay as he turned to Keonhee.

 

“Yeah,” sighed Keonhee. “I know, we should be here a bit longer but we didn't really know them you know? I feel awkward because it's like we're mourning for complete strangers,” he explained.

 

“I get it,” reassured Jay as he nodded. “We can go then,” he added, stepping away and walking towards where Soobin was standing.

 

Keonhee took a second to compose himself before turning and walking after Jay.

 

~

 

“Well, it's time to go then,” remarked Jay as he stood in the airport terminal with Keonhee and Jake. “Good luck in your inauguration or whatever,” he added, turning to Jake who nodded.

 

“Have fun in your last year of school, come visit sometime again soon yeah?” Asked Jake as he grinned at Jay and Keonhee.

 

“We'll try, you do your best in whatever the hell you're doing,” retorted Jay.

 

Keonhee nodded in agreement as he shook his head in amusement. “We'll see you then,” he added.

 

Jake waved before running off to his gate, leaving Keonhee and Jay alone.

 

“Well,” sighed Jay as he turned to Keonhee who turned to look at Jay. “Let's head home yeah?” He asked, adjusting the pack on his shoulder.

 

“Yeah, let's,” breathed out Keonhee before he walked towards the gate that would take them home, with Jay following after him.