Chapter 10

The Aftermath

Keonhee was grateful that he was allowed to move into Arthur's house. Even if it meant he had to share a room it was better than being alone since his roommate had to leave.

He knew it was going to be a while until he saw Jay again since he had rushed back to Korea to check on a friend, but he was still grateful for Dongmyeong and Yunho's company when they weren't busy with their kings.

 

~



Yunho had suspected that Keonhee was a reincarnation of someone he knew, as a confirmation from Dongmyeong had been proof that they had known each other before.

"He was in Dongju's guard," explained Dongmyeong as he shrugged, leaning against the chair he was sitting in. "Back when Dongju was with Louis anyway," he added.

"Keonhee's soulmate was with Chiwoo right? Or am I wrong?" Asked Yunho as he took a sip of coffee.

"Yeah, Younghoon, I think," replied Dongmyeong. "It's a pity we didn't get to know them this life until now," he remarked, looking thoughtful. "Well, I don't even think we knew of Younghoon until, well," he added, humming in thought as he thought about it.

"Well, we can only help Keonhee through this life as best we can until his next one," remarked Yunho as he looked thoughtful.

"I wonder if they know how closely intertwined their lives are?" Asked Dongmyeong as he turned to Yunho.

"Jay and Keonhee's? If only they knew," scoffed Yunho, though there was no malice to it as he nodded in agreement.

 

~



Keonhee returned from his classes, huffing as he closed his car door after grabbing his bags and getting out. He made sure to lock the door before walking towards the front door. He opened the door and walked on in, noticing how quiet it was as he took off his shoes. He put them away before walking to his and Jay's room and setting down his bag. He saw a piece of paper on his bed and went to read it, nodding as he read it.

"Errands again, huh?" He asked with a sigh. It had only been a week since Jay had left and he was due back within the next few days he was sure.

Keonhee looked around the room for a minute, spotting a familiar picture sitting on Jay's desk. He walked over and picked it up, his eyes widening in surprise as he recognized one of the people in the picture. He put the picture down before turning and quickly leaving the room.

 

~



Keonhee opened the door, blinking at the person who stood at the door.

"Oh? Do I have the wrong address?" Asked the person standing at the door.

"I don't know?" Asked Keonhee. "Who are you looking for?" He asked.

"I was looking for Dongmyeong or Yunho, but it seems I may have gotten the wrong house," he responded with a shrug.

"Oh, this is their house," Keonhee reassured quickly. "They're running errands," he explained. "I don't know when they'll be back though, they left a couple days ago," he added. "What is your name? So I can let them know you stopped by when they come back," he inquired, his head tilting to the side in question.

"Hyunjae, they will know who you're talking about," responded Hyunjae as he nodded, turning around. "I'll be back in a few days then," he said in goodbye as he raised his hand in a farewell gesture before leaving.

Keonhee was left to stand there in wonder, a sense of familiarity surrounding him as he watched Hyunjae leave. He soon moved from the door and closed it behind him, leaning back against the door as he brought up his wrist that was covered by the bracelet.

He stared at it for a moment before pushing back from the door and letting his arm drop to his side. He then went to flop face down on the couch with a groan, not wanting to do anything else for the moment.

 

~



"Hyunjae stopped by?" Asked Yunho as he blinked in surprise, turning to Keonhee as he was making dinner.

"Yeah, he said to let you know," hummed Keonhee as he focused on the stove, making sure things were still good.

"You said Hyunjae stopped by?" Asked Dongmyeong, making sure he heard Keonhee correctly as he leaned against the kitchen island.

"Must I repeat myself?" Asked Keonhee as he huffed. "Yes, he said his name was Hyunjae," he explained. "He also knew who you two were so I assume you know who he is," he added, turning off the stove and going to move the food onto plates before throwing the pan into the sink. He passed along the plates of food to Yunho and Dongmyeong before eating from his own plate.

"How in the world did he-?" Asked Yunho as he ate his food, looking thoughtful as he continued eating.

"I don't know, okay?" Asked Keonhee. "I just know that he was looking for you and said to mention to you that he stopped by," he explained.

"Right, sorry," apologized Yunho as he shook his head. "We didn't expect him to stop by at all," he explained.

"He was one of the kings's guards," explained Dongmyeong. "But this king found his soulmate already," he added. "So his brother took over, and Hyunjae was left to wander the world after his king's death," he explained. "But it's been years since we last heard from him, so it surprised us, is all," he finished explaining as he set down his fork.

 

~



Yunho and Dongmyeong walked over to where Hyunjae was waiting, their stances neutral but Hyunjae knew to expect them to jump into action at any point.

"It's been a long time, you two," greeted Hyunjae as he turned to them, bowing his head in greeting.

"It has," greeted Yunho as Dongmyeong nodded in greeting. "What brings you this way?" Asked Yunho as he put his hands in his pockets, slumping his shoulders to adopt a more friendly stance.

"Is the Keonhee I saw the same one?" Asked Hyunjae.

"Yes, though he's reincarnated with a new soulmate mark, you know this," responded Dongmyeong as he shrugged.

"I figured," hummed Hyunjae. "I met the Younghoon of this life just before his death," he explained. "And his brother, apparently," he added. "Before, well," he finished with a shake of his head.

"Get to the point, Hyunjae," demanded Dongmyeong, causing Hyunjae to sigh and nod.

"Well, I was following a lead on my soulmate but it seems they left the states," explained Hyunjae. "I was hoping to catch them before but it seems I lost my chance," he added. "I'll be out of your hair later, don't worry," he explained before turning and walking away.

 

~



Keonhee felt relieved to be picking up Jay and Dongju from the airport. He felt awkward as hell with just Yunho and Dongmyeong in the house despite reassurances from the both of them that it was okay for him to be there.

"Sorry for moving in on short notice," apologized Keonhee as Jay and Dongju got into the car after packing their things into the trunk of Keonhee's car.

"It's okay," hummed Jay as he shook his head. "The loneliness tends to be overbearing sometimes," he explained with a shrug.

"Mhm," hummed Keonhee as he started the car and drove off once it was clear to do so.