Solar's diary - A fan goes too far

Moonsun Stories

Dear diary,

I just got back from our first fansign after the pandemic and I am so tired that I just want to go to sleep and BE DEAD TO THE WORLD FOREVER. I’m getting old, diary, these things didn’t use to tire me out so much back in the day.

Anyway, the fansign was… eventful. It was heart-warming to meet people in person again. We played games, posed a lot, interacted with MooMoos and even had a fan questions segment. It was Byulyi’s idea but I think she regrets it now because of what happened.

Fan questions are always a bit of a hit and miss, diary. Our MooMoos generally have a lot of sense, and we trust them to ask appropriate questions. But occasionally, we do find a bad apple.

A non-comprehensive list of inappropriate questions I’ve been asked by fans:

  • Are you and Moonbyul dating?
  • Who is your favorite member?
  • How much do you earn?
  • Are you a ?

And finally, my favorite:

  • What do you think about Hwasa going braless?

To which I once almost replied I am all for it and that the four of us also go commando all the time (I bit my tongue). Do they seriously think we are going to answer any of those?! Maybe they’ll have their answers in 20 years, when I publish my autobiography. I’ll take great care of you, diary, just in case you prove to be useful later on.

Anyway, these questions do bother us, but we know how to handle them. We just ignore them altogether or reply with something sarcastic. Wheein rolls her eyes so much sometimes I’m afraid they’ll get stuck in the back of her head and I’ll have to call an ambulance.

But Byulyi really got the short end of the stick today. A MooMoo sitting in the front row (even though I like to think that you have to reach a minimum threshold of intelligence to be considered a MooMoo, and this guy didn’t) asked the most awkward question I’ve ever heard in eight years as an idol.

You won’t believe it, diary, but he actually asked her about… Bae Irene. He was like, “Moonbyul-ssi, I believe the rest of the public as well as myself can recall the recent scandal about Red Velvet. You are acquainted with Irene, what are your conclusions regarding the issue?” He was acting all smug and probably thought he deserved the Pulitzer Prize for ing fine journalism or something.

Hyejin and Wheein actually went :O at the sheer inappropriateness of the question. Byulyi… the only other time I’ve seen Byulyi go so red is when… you know when (page 65). To be fair, she was caught between a rock and a hard place.

option 1: defending the staffers who complained about Irene and contributing to the Fall of a Great Girl Group, or option 2: defending Irene and appearing unsympathetic towards the people who work so hard for us idols.

How was this question fair?!?

She tried to be polite about it, she smiled at the fan and asked if there was anything else he wanted to ask instead. But I think he got a kick out of seeing her blushing and embarrassed because he KEPT. GRILLING. HER., saying blabla “as an idol” blabla “you should” blabla “report to us” blablabla.

At this point Byulyi was completely out of her depth and started stammering and I could see that she was about to start hyperventilating like she does when she gets seriously anxious. Everyone was staring at her.

She did manage to say “I am uncomfortable, please stop” but he came back with a self-satisfied “YOU OWE US AN ANSWER”.

Diary, I am not proud of it but I LOST IT. I don’t know what came over me. I literally felt myself walking toward the guy like I wasn’t even in control of my limbs. I heard Hyejin say “Uh-oh, you made Solar mad” into the microphone, Wheein grabbed my arm but I shoved her away (we checked later – she got a bruise!) and ran to him.

According to Hyejin, I said “NOBODY MAKES MY MEMBERS UNCOMFORTABLE” but I have no recollection of that. I just remember staring at him (probably looking like a murderer, I’m sure photos will come in at some point) and pointing at the venue door.

And then the most amazing thing happened. MooMoos started BOOING the guy. He stood up right in front of me, like a whole head taller, and said “nobody here is very smart”. I could smell his FOUL BREATH, diary. UGH. Then he left. MooMoos were actually cheering, but I went back to the stage to check on Byulyi. I guess I was cooing a bit because I heard a collective “awww,” and then silence.

And then Wheein was like “okay, next question?” and everyone laughed and we just carried on for a few more minutes until it was time to go home.

Do you understand now why I’m so tired, diary? I felt like the incredible hulk for a second there and I am now coming down from the high. I couldn’t bear to see Byulyi so helpless and just wanted to HURT THE GUY. Thank goodness I managed to keep my hands to myself, otherwise we’d be dealing with our very own scandal right now (imagine the headlines: Mamamoo’s Solar punches a fan defending member’s honor, and then a picture of his blood-spattered turtleneck ).

When we got home, Byulyi just said that it wasn’t a big deal and that that guy probably has no friends and that’s punishment enough. But I know she’s a bit shaken because she fell asleep right away, as soon as she settled down on the bed next to me as I was writing this entry.

My girlfriend is too kind for her own good. On the other hand, I believed I was a pacifist but now I’m not so sure. Not when it comes to her. I’m ready to take on anyone who tries to hurt her. Next time, I’ll pull no punches, diary! Goodnight.