Dara

The Single Dad
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We turned at the same time, seeing his daughter bouncing down the steps that wrapped around the living room.

“Daaaddy, is it pancake time?”

He glanced at me, and I instantly saw the worry on his face.

I didn’t know what to do.

Where to go.

What to even say.

But as I looked toward the staircase, there was a flash of pink descending so fast, curls like loose springs on top of her head, that I knew it was too late to try and hide.

The second she hit the bottom landing, she came running for her father.

My heart clenched as he picked her up in his arms, hugging her against him.

“Good morning, my baby girl.” He rubbed circles across her back, her body so tiny against Jiyong’s tall, muscular frame. “How did you sleep?”

“I woke up with the giraffe in my face.” She rubbed her fists over her eyes. “He was hungry and thought I was leaves. Silly giraffe.”

“Well, I woke up with your feet in my face,” Yeji said. “Were your toes hungry for my nose?”

Everly snorted, which made everyone in the kitchen laugh.

I had no reason to be biased, but she was one of the cutest kids I had ever seen. She had bright, giant, round blue eyes, a hooked nose, puffy lips, and little freckles that sat high on her cheeks. Her hair was golden brown and all curls.

“I’m glad you slept well, baby. I missed you last night.”

I’d melted when I saw the Best Dad Ever mug. That was nothing compared to this. Watching the two of them together—their love and interaction, the way they gazed at each other—was the most beautiful sight.

Everly played with the keys in her father’s hand. “Where are you going, Daddy?” When she finished speaking, she turned in his arms, facing me. “Who are you?”

I didn’t want to say the wrong thing. I didn’t even want to address his daughter unless Jiyong was comfortable with it, especially because he’d told me he sheltered her from the women he dated, and even though I wasn’t in that category, this gray area was just as complicated.

My gut told me to stay silent, so I looked at Jiyong and then at Yeji, hoping one of them answered her.

“That’s my friend,” Yeji said. “She came over to have some cookies with me.”

Jiyong shifted his stance, holding Everly toward me so she didn’t have to turn around. “Everly, this is Yeji’s friend Dara. Can you introduce yourself to Miss Dara?”

Still holding one of the cookies, I switched the dessert to my other hand, extending my dominant one to his daughter. “Hi.”

“Hi, Miss Dara. I’m Everly Kwon. Daddy calls me Eve. You can call me Eve or Everly.”

I smiled. “It’s very nice to meet you, Everly.” Her hand was so warm against mine. “You can call me Dee, if that’s easier. That’s what my friends call me sometimes.”

She had a dimple on her right cheek when she grinned. “Really? That’s soo pretty.”

“Thank you. I think your name is very pretty too. Do you know what else we have in common?”

Her eyes went wide. “What?”

“We both love the color pink.”

“You dooo? Is it your fave, like mine?”

I nodded. “My absolute fave.” There was a smudge of chocolate on her cheek, telling me Yeji had probably given her a cookie before bed. “You know what else is my fave?” I held up my free hand. “Yeji’s cookies.”

“Cookies for breakfast!” she shouted.

I laughed, pulling back both hands. “That’s what I had for breakfast, but it sounds like you’re going to have pancakes, and that’s just as yummy.”

“You like pancakes too?”

“Of course.” I winked. “Who doesn’t love pancakes? They’re the best when they have loads of chocolate chips.”

“Daddy, you have to make some pancakes for Dee. She likes them like I do.” She glanced at me again. “Did you get pretty to have pancakes with us?”

I realized she was talking about my dress and heels—an outfit that felt outrageous at the moment.

When I didn’t respond, she gasped and said, “Daddy, we need to have a pancake party. I need to go put on my pink dress!”

“No party, baby.” Jiyong held the side of Everly’s face and kissed her. “Dara only came over for cookies, but now that she’s had some, she and Yeji are going to leave.” He looked at Yeji, and I could tell from his profile he was silently asking her to take me home.

“No, Daddy!” Everly leaned away from him and crossed her arms, pouting. “I want to have a pancake party.”

“Look at me, baby.” He waited until Everly did as he’d asked. “Yeji and Miss Dara have to get going. Maybe one day, Miss Dara will come back and have pancakes with us, but it’s not going to be today.”

“Daaaddy,” she whined.

He set her on the counter and handed her a mixing spoon. “Are you going to be my sous-chef, or are we going to pout and ruin our breakfast?”

She huffed a few times until she muttered, “Okaaay.”

I was impressed with the way he’d handled her, how he hadn’t given in, how he’d calmed her before a tantrum took over.

“Okay,” Jiyong repeated. “Now, say good-bye to Yeji.”

Yeji quickly gathered her books and placed them in her bag and went over to Everly. “I’ll see you tomorrow, bestie.”

I could tell they had a special bond, and by the way Everly looked at Yeji, I knew she was a significant role model in Everly’s life.

Everly wrapped her small arms around Yeji’s neck and hugged her. “I wanna go hiking. Then, we can get those fruit things. You know, the mixed-up kind.”

“Hiking and smoothies, huh?” She tickled Everly’s belly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter