Jiyong

The Single Dad
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was deep into my emails, finally having a few minutes to respond to my clients and their questions, when my phone rang. I reluctantly pulled my eyes away from the computer screen, and the caller ID showed it was my assistant, phoning from her desk on the other side of the wall.

I held the receiver to my face and said, “Morning, or is it”—I glanced at the monitor again, seeing that it was after three—“afternoon? Sorry. Hell, it’s been a day. What do you have for me?”

“The nanny is here for her interview. The final candidate.”

“Is she a good one? Because I’ve got to tell you, I haven’t loved the personalities of the last two. Excellent on paper, incredibly qualified, but too stern. I don’t need someone dripping in warmth, but I need someone Everly can connect with on some level.”

I’d expected professionalism, but I’d been met with icy exteriors. Middle-aged women, certainly well suited but more interested in education than athletics. I didn’t know how they would keep up with my constantly moving daughter, who preferred hiking over spelling and playing outside over coloring.

I also couldn’t picture either of them living in my house.

“This is my favorite of the three,” my assistant said. “She’s not the most qualified of the group; however, something tells me you’re really going to like her.”

“Excellent. Send her in.” I lifted my coffee cup to take a drink, realizing it was empty. “Any way you can grab me a coffee?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter