Two

The Phonecall

“Hey,” Barcode smiled half heartedly to his music teacher early that morning when they met for another piano class. Barcode signed up for more piano and guitar class to improve his skills. His mother told him that he could do that for the time being before he applied for university. Joe, his music teacher was someone from the tuition centre that he always frequented before. He worked as a free-lance and with the money he obtained from the show he could afford paying for the class himself. His mother was not happy about this because she still felt Barcode was too young to be paying for his own class.

He pouted to his mother when she told him that.

I’m not a little kid anymore, ma.

People treat me like a little kid all the time.

I’m 18.

I’m not a baby.

He wanted to scream at the top of his lungs all the time, but he kept it all in. He was polite, he was lovable. He was kind and childish, sweet and thoughtful.

Joe sat beside Barcode on the piano chair. They were only two of them in the early morning class. He would train with Joe for a while before the cast woke up. All the other adults slept in late and almost all of them woke up at noon. Then, they will start to work.

Barcode tried to brush the memories of last night.

He didn’t remember falling asleep after discovering his little man stood up proudly. He might had done something while he was asleep though. But there weren’t any leak or on the bed. It was dry and warm when he woke up annoyed to his own alarm clock.

“You’re somewhere else, today,” Joe started playing the piano. It sounded difficult. Barcode was not liking it.

“Yeah…sorry,” Barcode shook his head.

“Focus,”

“Alright,” Barcode listened to Joe’s instructions and started to play. He made quite a few mistakes, careless and not.

“Are you okay?” Joe asked.

“Yeah…”

“You’re everywhere,” Joe folded his arms in front of his chest. “I can’t teach you like this,”

“Sorry,” Barcode bowed down.

“Do you want to rest for today? We can always make up another time,”

“Ah, it’s okay,” Barcode shook his head. “I don’t have anything to do this morning anyway,”

Joe watched Barcode for a moment before he shrugged.

“Alright, whatever suits you boss,”

“Stop calling me boss,”

“Baby?”

“No.” Barcode grunted, why was everyone calling him baby? He’s just young, but it doesn’t mean that he’s not matured enough.

“Alright,” Joe grinned sheepishly. The foul mood today definitely brought the house down. There were so many mistakes in Barcode’s notes today, there were the abundant swearing by both him and Barcode.

Barcode was clearly disturbed and was throwing tantrums in his own way.

He was trashing the piano, he swore and he screamed.

Barcode was a very calm person who only talked when he needed to. There were people who are close to him but Joe wasn’t one.

“Calm down, Barcode.” Joe tried to talk him out of their misery. He wasn’t feeling it when Barcode was clearly not in the mood. He was rubbing his eyes multiple times like he was sleepy but denied it every time Joe offered him rest. He sighed a lot, and stomped his feet when he got the wrong note and Joe had to correct him. “Calm down and we can try again later,”

Barcode looked at Joe. For the first time, Barcode saw Joe. He was acting like a brat today and it was all his fault for staying up late all-night eavesdropping something that should have stayed private.

Barcode looked down at his own shoes.

“I’m sorry,” Joe let out a sigh of relief. “I have a nightmare last night,”

“Want to talk about it?” Barcode shook his head. Joe smiled meekly – the boy and his secrets, he thought. Barcode was the quiet ones, the youngest of them all and he was the most distant from him in the group. Joe watched as Barcode focused on the piano back, his fingers on the keys like twigs.

He’s skinny, Joe thought.

There were usually other cast members staying in the music room for rehearsals but today it was just him and Barcode. The boy didn’t seem to be that invested in learning piano, though.

But Joe had always been intrigued by the presence of the boy. Barcode was the most distant from him because of the . Joe was always practicing with someone other than Barcode. He was just a music teacher and being here watching the team play all sorts of instruments left him in awe.

“You won’t get far by hitting the keys hard like that,” Joe pulled Barcode’s hand that started to abuse the keys. The music sounded off key, it’s not pleasant at all. Barcode slapped his hand away and stood up abruptly. Joe fixed his gaze at him as he gathered his phone and walked away from the room.

Joe blinked, his brows raised.

“Interesting,”

 

***

Jeff walked into the room only to find that Barcode was not there. All the other members were there preparing for another night today. His spirits were on a different high today as he learned that Gameplay would try to take the next flight to come see him sing tonight. He would meet Gameplay after awhile, and he was not afraid to show people that he’s in cloud nine.

“Where is Barcode?” he asked the make up sister. She shrugged. “It’s weird.”

He walked to the music room where the instruments were put. There were only Mile and Apo teasing each other as they ate lunch together. They might be rehearsing lines for tonight’s show. He wanted to gag when he remembers usually they would practice some kiss if needed.

But where is the boy?

“Have you seen Barcode?” Apo shook his head. Mile shrugged.

“I don’t think I’ve seen him yet today,” Apo said. Mile nodded. “I thought he’s rehearsing his line with you,”

“No, I just came down,” Jeff scratched his neck. He overslept after last night’s event. He happened to have relieved himself after the phone call with Gameplay. Damn, he needs to get his together. “Barcode was already gone when I woke up,”

“Hmmm…” Mile and Apo looked at each other. “He woke up pretty early, though. He had an alarm clock,” Mile said, reminiscing the time he was the roommate of Barcode during another tour.

“Yeah, the alarm clock annoys the hell out of me,” Jeff rolled his eyes and Apo laughed. “I just wanted to practice my lines with him, maybe sing one or two songs before we hit it tonight.”

“What skit are you preparing?”

“Nothing.” Jeff shrugged. “Just friendly gesture. I might want to touch his hand and kissed his forehead today,”

“Alright, have you talk to him about it?” Apo asked, suddenly becoming serious.

“Yeah, that’s what I’m trying to do now. As the fans are becoming restless for more interaction for me and Barcode, it’s to step it up a bit but I want him to know that I’m not going to force him to do anything that he didn’t want to,” Mile and Apo nodded in agreement. “I’m still not sure what to do, though,”

“You’re doing what’s right, Jeff.” Apo said, his tone reassuring. “Both of you should agree to any fanservice that you provide. I’m sure the fans knew it, and respect your decision,”

“Yeah, because Barcode is way too young,” Mile and Apo looked at each other again.

“Barcode is a good actor. He’ll understand,” Mile smiled, his eye smile had always light up the world. “It will become more violent sooner or later,” the three of them laughed. “What’s y time can do against violence though,” Apo laughed even harder. Jeff shook his head but he agreed to the statement. “Be light to him, Jeff. He’s still new to this, and we don’t want to scar him for life,” Mile laughed softly as he took Apo’s hand and squeezed it.

“Over my dead body,” Jeff claimed, determined. He felt like the responsibility to take care of the youngest member falls upon him. It was supposed to be Gameplay who had been collaborating with him for quite several works and at the very last minute he pulled out. Jeff watched Apo playfully teased Mile and wondered if it had been him and Gameplay. He didn’t need to work on chemistry again just like how he did with Barcode, he didn’t need to tone the gestures with Gameplay.

But Barcode is someone else. He’s inexperienced. This is his first gig, that should be the turning point for him.

“And yeah…” Jeff played with the one strand of hair with his finger. “Gameplay might come here to see me tonight,”

“Oh, precious Gameplay!” Apo clapped his hand. “I thought he has some project…?”

“He wants to support me so he took the morning flight,”

“Good,” Mile smirked. “Maybe you want to introduce Gameplay to Barcode?”

“Yeah, that too…” Jeff nodded. “I want to let them know each other.”

“Maybe he would like Gameplay more than you, Jeff,” Apo teased. The three of them laughed.

“No one can resist my charm,” Apo rolled his eyes at Jeff’s words before he laughed again.

They talked more about tonight’s concert flow. Jeff would be staying at the back more tonight and spend his time with Barcode more, and he wanted to encourage Barcode to sing more of his songs. Barcode was a shy person and only did what he was told, so Jeff thought Barcode might need more encouragement to get him out of his comfort zone.

“Hey,” Jeff saw someone coming out of the meeting room – the room was on the other side of the hall and was used for resting and rehearsing too. “Joe,” he leaned forward and touched Joe’s shoulder and the man suddenly turned and slapped his hand away. Jeff was stunned, unable to say anything.

“Oh, hi,” Joe put on a smile. “I’m sorry, I get startled when someone touched me.” Joe smiled and Jeff felt his voice was icy but Jeff brushed it off. He was wrong to touch someone suddenly like that.

“It’s okay,” Jeff put his hand behind his back. “Have you seen Barcode?”

“He’s resting,”

“Resting? We just getting started here,”

“He came down way earlier than you guys, he might want to rest now,” Joe shrugged and left the room. The three of them looked at each other. Jeff scratched his cheek, it felt off.

“Did he hate me?”

“He could, though. Who likes you anyway?” Jeff snorted at Apo’s remark. He lifted his middle finger and left.

 

“Barcode!” Jeff found Barcode lying on his back on the floor of the meeting room. Barcode sat up immediately and saw Jeff approaching him. He tried to smile but Jeff saw the fatigue on his face. He might already be here for hours now, because he was an early riser.

“Hey,” Jeff sat down beside Barcode. Barcode looked more handsome now with those new hairdo – bluish with no more hair covering his forehead and eyes. He styled his hair with more gel now and the baby fat on his cheeks were almost gone with all the practices and job he’s been doing. Jeff missed the chubby Barcode when they first met but he isn’t going to complain when this version of Barcode was strikingly handsome.

“Do you want to continue your nap? You know, children need their nap,”

“No,” Barcode pouted, Jeff noticed the eye roll too.

“Are you ready for another jam?” Jeff took a guitar nearby and started to pick the strings. Barcode leaned back using his palms against the ground and watched Jeff finding his tune. Jeff was always in the zone whenever he’s starting to play instruments. It was divine to watch.

Jeff played and sang a song. Barcode was familiar with the song, he heard it before. It was a new song, yet to be released. Jeff might release it later after Kinnporsche tour.

Barcode took another guitar and tried to match Jeff’s energy. He knew the notes of the song Jeff was playing. Joe even helped him to play the song. Only just now he threw full tantrums to Joe and now felt embarrassed about it.

“Why don’t you play Moments?” Barcode suddenly blurted out. Jeff stopped playing.

“Moments? Why?”

“Nothing.” Barcode stared at Jeff, his eyes were accusing him of something but Jeff couldn’t decode it.

“Do you want to play the song?”

“No. I just want to hear you play it.” Was it jealousy? But why should Barcode be jealous?

“I wanted to practice our song,” our song was referred to the songs he specifically composed for Kinnporsche. Barcode pursed his lips, and Jeff saw the subtle clench of his fist before Barcode smiled.

“Alright,” Barcode started to play his song. He sang beautifully as always but there was something different about it. Jeff picked the strings of his own guitar even though his heart was a bit uneasy. Barcode continued playing, his eyes focused on anywhere else but Jeff.

Why Moments?

Did Barcode heard what happened last night?

Jeff started to sweat in the cold room. Barcode seemed disturbed and he wondered if he listened last night. But he checked on Barcode multiple times before he proceeded his conversations with Gameplay. It was a naughty phone call, almost like phone but it wasn’t near of it. He was just messing around with Game, but it could sound weird to someone as young as Barcode.

“Barcode…” Jeff put a hand on Barcode’s guitar but Barcode continued playing, ignoring him who wanted to talk more. “Bar…” he raised his voice an octave.

“Hey, Barcode,”

Joe entered the room bringing one chocolate milkshake and handed it to Barcode. Barcode took it with a huge grin, different from what he showed Jeff. Jeff raised his brows. What was it today with Barcode’s behaviour?

Jeff glanced at Joe. He was the music teacher that Barcode hired to help him with his instruments. He had been here since the concert started and had always been with Barcode more compared to others. Jeff initially felt grateful there’s someone else who’s there for Barcode when he first came. It means that he didn’t need to always look out for him and apparently having the music teacher here occupied most of Barcode’s time and he improved tremendously. Barcode was smiling at Joe and he sat down beside him. He corrected Barcode’s finger on the strings and drummed his own on the guitar’s body. Barcode nodded in tune and played the way Joe taught. The tune sounded better. Joe sang a note, and Barcode followed. They started to practice together, and easily Barcode seemed comfortable again.

Jeff was watching from aside. He was sure something was there between them. It was a relationship between a student and his teacher, but far more harmonious. Barcode leaned snugly beside Joe, listening to his hum and tried to play the same note. Their head bobbed in the same way, and the singing and warming up their voice was easy.

“Hey,” Apo came and sat beside Jeff. Jeff nodded to acknowledge him. He leaned in to whisper to the singer’s ear. “Why that face?”

“What face?”

“You look like you’re ready to kill someone,” Apo laughed and immediately put a hand on his mouth playfully when Jeff grunted.

“Shut up.” Jeff hit Apo’s shoulder lightly. “Go away, you’re disturbing their vibe!” he whispered back.

“Don’t kill anyone on the way there,” Apo stood up again and ran to the music room before Jeff followed him.

He was just teaching Barcode, nothing more than that. Jeff took one last glance at Barcode and Joe before he left to practice with Mile and Apo.

 

Joe knew what his student was doing. The leaning and the hyperfocus during the guitar session was somehow forced by Barcode. The affection died down once Jeff was out of the door, the stiff shoulder loosened. Barcode put the guitar down, clearly exhausted by playing it.

“You don’t have to do that, Barcode,”

“What?” if only stares could kill, I would die right now, Code. Joe smirked and glanced at the door.

“You’re trying to impress Jeff,”

“No,” Barcode was back to his bad mood self. He was really such a child.

“Then what about the excitement of the chocolate milkshake? You are never a milkshake enthusiast,"

"I like milkshake.”

“Then, why don’t I bring you to the best shack?” Barcode lifted an eyebrow. “The best chocolate and strawberry milkshake, fattened me up when I had no self-control,”

“Thank you but no thank you.” Barcode took his own note in his bag. He wrote something on the paper.

“You don’t need Jeff to become popular, Code,”

“I don’t.”

“You want him to notice you, right?”

“He noticed me alright,”

“Then why would you feel so worked up?” Joe’s smirk was starting to annoy Barcode. What he said wasn’t true right?

“We are colleagues, of course I need to work on my work,”

“Well, I’m doing my work now to improve your skills and with your current attitude towards me, we’re not going anywhere soon,”

“What do you mean?”

“You’re not working with me. You’re avoiding becoming closer,”

“Close?” Barcode didn’t understand.

“A dedicated musician stays close to the one who teaches him. He appreciated the art and the person,” Joe tilted his head. “From my observations, you are trying so hard to avoid me,”

“No,” he blushed.

“False,” Joe touched Barcode’s nose tip with his finger playfully. “I can help you to gain his attention,”

“I told you, I’m not doing this for Jeff,”

“Do it for you, then. Be proud of a man that you are now, show the men that you are no longer a boy,” Joe spread his arms wide. “They might not see it now Barcode, because you are not showing them that you’ve grown,”

Barcode peered at Joe. What was this man implying?

“Barcode, you’ve shown me humungous effort and you’ve grown as a man. You don’t need their approval to be in their circle, you are able to be independent on your own.” Barcode sighed. “Why do you think Jeff was here and then leave? Why didn’t he ask you to come with him to practice together with Apo? With Mile?”

“Because I’m young.” Joe shrugged, his smirk returned.

“Yes, but I don’t think you’re too young to be with the adults,”

“You didn’t?”

“Yes, you’re 18, Code. 18 is the age where the fun finally begins,” Barcode stared at Joe for a while and shook his head.

“You’re trying to lure me into something,” he whispered. “Do you think I had never find someone like you before? Someone’s who’s trying to be in my good book just to talk back about my friends here,” Barcode spat. Joe was taken aback but he just smiled.

“I’m not implying anything. I’m here to teach you music and I delivered, but, I’ve seen a lot of people and I see that you’ve been missing out a lot,”

“I’m not missing out on anything,” Barcode was angry with himself. He knew Joe had some hidden agenda by provoking him. There’s nothing wrong with being young, right? There’s nothing wrong with being…

“The baby of the group? Don’t you feel insulted when they referred you as the baby of the group,”

“They referred to me as the youngest, the baby brother,”

“Hence, the baby brother.” Joe said as if it the most obvious statement ever. Barcode huffed.

“So, you’re saying they’re doing other adult stuff amongst themselves, and I can’t join them because I’m the baby brother?”

“For me…” Joe shrugged. “It seemed like it,”

“Bull,”

“Language.” The younger man grumbled and left. He had had enough.

But, gradually Joe’s words started to sink in.

=================================================

A/N

so what do you guys think? Thank you for reading