Three

The Phonecall

“Stop looking around, Jeff,” Apo teased when he saw Jeff squirmed in his seat, as if he was uneasy but it was more of impatience. There was a phone call from dear Gameplay that told him that he already touched down and will come to their venue as soon as he got a taxi. “He’ll arrive soon,”

“I know,” Jeff knew Gameplay would come anytime soon but what he was worried about was Barcode. He’d been in a severe mood today. He had never been like this before, he had never seen this side of Barcode who was sulking all day and refused to talk to him. Jeff tried to talk to him too but Joe the music teacher was busy teaching him lessons and Barcode seemed to go along more with Joe today rather than being with the casts.

He tried to talk to Mile about it and Mile asked him to let Barcode take his time off each other. Jeff was becoming restless because he had not been discussing about what they’re going to perform tonight. He even ignored his text messages and didn’t pick up calls. It must be something that was related to him that Barcode was behaving like this. He was still cheerful yesterday when they finished the concert, and he still allowed Jeff to kiss his cheek.

The same question popped inside his head.

Was he actually awake last night when Gameplay called?

And even when he was awake, why would he be cranky?

“What happened last night?” Mile asked after Jeff was silent. “Barcode was somewhat angry at you, and the boy was never a nuisance,” Apo nodded in agreement. “Did you do something?”

“No,” said Jeff, defensively. “Why would I do something? And what do you mean something?”

“You might say something to hurt his feelings,”

“You think I will say something to hurt his feelings? Me?” Jeff scoffed. He remembered there was nothing wrong in his words, he’d been treating Barcode as the same, even more he guessed because he respected Barcode. He didn’t want to do anything that he hadn’t consented, or not comfortable with.

“People spoke wrong things all the time, Jeff. It was a matter of you noticed or not, intentionally or not,” Mile scratched his neck lightly. He sighed. “And I think Barcode might have listened or think you’re ignoring…”

“He’s the one ignoring me all day.”

“We can see that.” Mile put a hand on Jeff’s shoulder. “Jeff, I hate to say this but please figure it out before tonight. It’s our last day in this tour and we need to give the people something to remember us on,” Mile glanced at Apo. “It’s my stake here, and I trust you to be the more reliable one,”

“I…”

The door opened suddenly from the outside.

The three of them turned simultaneously and saw a familiar face. Jeff sprung forward as he saw who’s coming.

“Oh, Game!” they embraced tightly, as it had been such a long time since they met. Jeff couldn’t even remember when it was last they saw each other but he still could smell the familiar scent of Gameplay, the one he always returned to. He remembered the nook of Gameplay’s neck where he usually buried his nose at, the back of his ears where the perfume he wore smelled the most intense and Jeff adored it so much. “I miss you,” he whispered.

“Me too,” he could see how Gameplay’s eyes became smaller as he hears Gameplay silently sighed and enjoy the embrace between them. He might be exhausted with the travel but he’s not going to complaint. The aim of the day was to meet the most important person in his life and there he was in flesh offering the warmest hug.

Somebody cleared their throat.

Jeff and Gameplay released each other reluctantly.

“Thought I would never see it live,” Apo teased. Mile laughed. “I thought you would start kissing though,” Gameplay watched Jeff blushed and shook his head.

“Come on, I’ll let others know you’re here,” Jeff pulled Gameplay’s hand.

 

Barcode stared at the picture for quite some time now.

The room was empty now, only those who came to fetch their bags and stuffs came in and usually left him alone. After Barcode left the room with Jeff, he went to hide in this bag room where the staffs usually put their belongings. It was far away from the rehearsal room, and make up artists usually used this empty room to put their bigger make up cases. Sometimes, unused guitars were put in the room. There was a sofa in it where Barcode usually used to take a nap or listened to his online class. It was a bit away from the others and it felt quieter here.

And he fell asleep.

It must be the tantrum he pulled off, or because of his disturbed night sleep last night.

When he woke up, he checked on his Instagram and there were multiple DMs. Most of them were from fans, and there was one that attached some pictures.

He opened the DM first even though it was an anonymous account, most likely to just mess around and not a real person at all. He wondered if it contained links to virus or hackers.

Ah, it was too late.

It was because there were pictures attachment and by the looks of it, Barcode wanted to make sure that it was Jeff’s pictures.

It was indeed Jeff’s pictures.

With Gameplay.

It was from the previous company where Barcode was still not hired to play Porchay.

All the pictures were intimate, pictures of them making out, in bed and on the swing outside the house. Jeff was very sensual in those pictures, and Gameplay…

…he was very handsome.

Barcode swallowed.

‘It was not an act at all.’

The message was together with the pictures.

‘It was an act of love between two grown and lovable men.’

Barcode tried to brush it off again – just like he always did when he encountered this kind of anonymous messages. It was not his first time that he received confusing messages like this. Some senders even had the audacity to ask him to back off from Kinnporsche next season and let Gameplay act in his stake.

His eyes felt prick by the oncoming tears.

He should not be bothered by this kind of messages anymore. He had his portion of hate before, but after last night’s phone call.

He felt hopeless. As if he’s just there to fill something that only Gameplay can fill with Jeff.

There was new message from the anonymous sender.

It showed Jeff and Gameplay embraced each other in front of Mile and Apo. All four of them were smiling ear to ear.

‘Don’t you see it, now?’

Even when Barcode barely talked to Jeff today, he remembered Jeff’s outfit. He was wearing a red shirt with short jeans today. He loved the red shirt because it contrasted well with Jeff.

It was today.

What…?

The door suddenly opened from outside.

Barcode was startled and his phone fell on the ground.

Jeff entered and crouched down to take the fallen phone.

That was when Barcode saw Gameplay, tagging along behind Jeff. He smiled at Barcode. His smile made his eyes small, there was friendliness in the gesture but Barcode could hear his heart started to drum, and it was loud in his ears.

“What are you watching?” Jeff turned the phone and saw the pictures. He scrolled, saw the messages and shifted his attention back to Barcode.

Barcode bit his lips, his palms tightened in a fist. Jeff opened his mouth to say something but Barcode couldn’t bear to listen anymore. His anger, his insecurities were holding him the most now. He knew he should listen to whatever Jeff wanted to say but his self-doubt was so overwhelming.

He glanced at Gameplay who leaned down to see what Jeff was looking at. He gasped.

“Bar…”

“Welcome, P-Gameplay,” Barcode said.

“Barcode…” Jeff was still trying to gain Barcode’s attention but it fell to deaf ears. He took the phone forcefully from Jeff’s hand and left the room. Jeff rushed, pulling Barcode’s wrist. “Don’t believe everything that you read,”

“And I should believe everything that I see?” Barcode pointed his finger towards Gameplay. “Why don’t I know your lover is coming back here?”

“Barcode, he’s not my lover. He’s my best friend,”

“And he will take my place, right?” Barcode pulled his hand back, his face distorted. Jeff shook his head.

“Barcode, I’m here just to visit Jeff. I’m not going to do anything here,” Gameplay chimed in when he saw the worse was yet to come. It was their first encounter, and Gameplay wanted it to be pleasant. He knew how important Barcode is to Jeff, and he appreciated what Barcode had done to the character. But Jeff was still his best friend, his partner in crime.

“Whatever,” Barcode rolled his eyes. “Just leave me alone,”

“Why don’t you give Gameplay a nice greeting…”

“Because I’m young and the baby of the group?!” Barcode spat. Jeff and Gameplay were taken aback. “So…people should not greet me?!”

“No…Barcode,” Jeff exchanged glances with Gameplay. “Game, I think you should go see the gang. I’m going to talk to Barcode alone,”

“Leave me alone!” Barcode pushed Jeff’s hand and tried to run away. But there wasn’t so much space so Barcode just resolved to walking really fast while Jeff chased behind.

“You’re weird today, Code,”

“I’m not. I’m always like this,”

“You’re avoiding me,”

“Because you stink!” if in normal situation, Jeff would laugh but this was not ideal. Barcode’s retorts were childish at best, but what he wanted was to resolve the conflict as soon as possible. They have work to do, and Jeff needed Barcode to be as professional as he could. Chemistry between them were scarce in the series and he wanted to make it up in the concerts follow ups.

“Tell me what’s wrong,”

“Nothing’s wrong.” Jeff was still chasing even when Barcode’s footsteps were twice as fast and his stride was bigger. It felt like a wrong decision now. He should just wait with Gameplay with others.

“Then why are you avoiding me? Why are you avoiding Game?” Jeff groaned. “Did you stay up last night?” Barcode’s stance changed and that was when Jeff knew he was right. Barcode stayed up last night and listened to their conversation. Their private conversation. 

“…”

“I’m sorry you listened to our sweet nothings. I’m sorry that I ruined your life last night or scar your memory or whatever but Bar…” Jeff pulled Barcode’s hand to turn the boy towards him. It felt harder now that Barcode was slightly taller than him now. He had grown into a beautiful man, and Jeff was proud to be a part of Barcode’s life. Barcode still avoided his eyes. Jeff held Barcode’s cheek just to get a better view, but he slapped his hand again.

“I’m not.” Barcode said. “But I’m not in the mood to talk about it now,”

Jeff’s shoulder hunched and he knew to just let go of Barcode this time.

 

The stage was wild tonight. It was their last day on the tour and tomorrow they would be at another venue to pull off another legendary performance.

Jeff’s eyes lingered at Barcode who was standing at the very end of the casts, it seemed it was the unwritten arrangement of the cast members to stand up like that. Jeff didn’t mind before but tonight he felt uneasy to be away from Barcode. It felt wrong, he wanted Barcode to stand by his side. Jeff was due to sing his theme tune after Mile and Apo’s performance. It meant he would be together with Barcode, only two of them on the stage with the back up singers.

His eyes lingered at where Gameplay was supposed to sit. He told Jeff he would be comfortable just staying at the spectators’ seat and already contented with meeting the guys backstage prior to the show. He could see Gameplay waving at him and he smiled in response.

Now, back to Barcode.

He clapped together with the others when Mile lifted his hand high. Beside him, Apo was waving his hand like the crazy boy he is.

Jeff noticed Barcode walking towards him with the guitar in his hand.

He almost frowned because he couldn’t remember if Barcode wanted to sing his song together with him or…

Wait, did I forget my lines?

Jeff fell into a confusion for a moment. It was due to Barcode was behaving weirdly today that they’re unable to discuss what they’re going to do tonight – so Jeff assumed they would do the same as yesterday’s schedule. It would be okay to just play safe. It would be nice to take it up a notch but it all depends on the younger guy.

Mile was clapping behind Jeff when he fell back into reality.

“What are you daydreaming about?” he whispered, loud enough to only Jeff. Jeff nodded, sorry that he had been inattentive. “Give them what they want,”

“Sure thang,” Jeff smirked.

Barcode stood beside him. Again, Jeff was confused. He couldn’t remember that he’s supposed to sing alongside Barcode, usually it was his turn after Mile and Apo’s. He looked at Barcode, puzzled. Barcode’s face didn’t give away any doubt as he started to sing.

Jeff recognised it.

It was his song.

Moment.

What the…

Barcode continued singing the song with the guitar. Jeff froze by his side, unable to response with the sudden change in the song placement. He listened to the familiar voice of Barcode singing his own work, it was an out of body experience. Barcode’s cover used more relaxed tune, and his raspy voice was heaven to his ears.

But why Moment?

He turned to the audience and saw Gameplay.

Cold sweat started to form.

What the ?

He didn’t notice how long he was staring at Gameplay and he at him when Barcode stopped singing. He turned and saw Barcode put down his guitar. He wanted to pull his hands together for a clap, together with the roaring applause from the audience when suddenly Barcode pushed him lightly so that he was leaning on the piano. Barcode turned him around so that they were face to face.

He wanted to say something when Barcode leaned down and kissed his lips. The kiss was so sudden that Jeff was unable to react, it was strong and soft at the same time. He closed his eyes, Barcode’s hand cupped both his cheeks as his tongue his lips to gain entrance. Jeff opened his eyes abruptly, he tried to push Barcode but he was much stronger.

Since when Barcode was this strong and huge? He felt small beneath Barcode who was kissing him forcefully. He wanted to push Barcode, but the younger guy was holding his wrists down to the piano.

He bit down Barcode’s lips and gasped when Barcode released him.

“Give it to Jeff and Barcode!” Apo clapped his hands cheerfully even though he saw what was happening. All the members saw what happened and knew something was gravely wrong. Mile lifted his arms, encouraging the audience to cheer with them to distract them from the couple.

Jeff crouched down on the floor, hiding behind the piano and hugging his knees. He was shaking so hard, his eyes watered because the fear that seeped inside him when Barcode forced a kiss like that. Who knows someone like him could be like that? Why would Barcode do that?

Barcode already went backstage when the audience continued cheering ‘encore’ while the cast members starting to sing another song.

Oh .

Crepitus. What just happened?

Jeff wiped his face multiple times before he pulled enough courage to face Barcode backstage.

 

“Barcode!” Jeff called out when he entered backstage. There weren’t many people, just some make up sisters who were resting and preparing for the next gig. Some of them already packed. Barcode was nowhere to be found. Where would he go?

He searched high and low but unable to find Barcode. He had to go on without Barcode then. He couldn’t just leave. It’s against his work ethics. Barcode was too emotional tonight.

He returned to the stage and the audience roared again when he emerged. He saw Gameplay was still in his seat even though it was evident that he was worried about him.

“Are you okay?” Director Pond asked when he saw Jeff returned. Jeff smiled and nodded. “You looked pale,”

“I’m okay. Just find Barcode. I’m afraid he might do something stupid,”

“He’s okay. Don’t worry, Jeff,” Director Pond smiled, even when he knew both screwed up big time tonight. It was another day’s problem.

Jeff started to play the piano.