Blind Date Disaster

Someday You'll Realize

Part 7

The Blind Date

 

Taemin and I waltzed in together, guided to a table where a thin, petite girl sat. However, she wasn't the only one there. Next to her, was Jonghyun and the girl he ditched me for on our anniversary. The one I found him in the bed with when I arrived back at our apartment complex.

 

“Hello,” The petite girl stood up, smiled, and bowed to us, “I'm Yoona,”

 

“I'm Taemin,” He flashed her a smile. He hesitated when announcing me as his sister, when he saw Jonghyun, “This is my friend, ____,”

 

I politely bowed, “It's nice to meet you,”

 

Judging from her looks she was not happy that Taemin had brought a friend to this obvious double date.

 

“Hi, Taemin. I'm Yoona's sister, Shin Se Kyung,” Then she motioned towards Jonghyun, “This is my boyfriend, Jonghyun,”

 

“It's nice to meet you Jonghyun,” Taemin bitterly replied. Jonghyun just nodded, staring at me, wide-eyed.

 

Yoona, Shin Se Kyung, and Jonghyun sat in the booths. Taemin sat in front of Yoona, leaving me to suffer by sitting across from the lovely couple.

 

“So why did you bring your friend?” Shin Se Kyung motioned towards me. From the looks of it, she doesn't remember me. I breathed a sigh of relief.

 

“Well, lately, she hasn't had much to do. Her boyfriend broke up with her recently,” I watched as Jonghyun twitched, “Sad thing really, that he gave up such an amazing girl. But I promised to be there for her, which means I couldn't leave her alone today. So I decided to bring her along,” Taemin gave them an innocent smile. “That's not a problem is it?”

 

“No of course not,” Shin Se Kyung gave him a stiff, line smile.

 

“So, Yoona,” Taemin directed his attention away from the bitter Shin Se Kyung, “How do you know my friend Taecyeon?”

 

“We both are in the same homeroom. We've been together all throughout high school. He thought it would be a good idea for me to go out and find someone who could be a potential boyfriend. He had you in mind,” She smiled.

 

“Ah, I see,” Taemin nodded in agreement, “I was surprised when Taecyeon asked me to go on a blind date. But I humbly agreed. I could never say no to that guy. He has an intimidating posture and body build, however, whenever he uses his main weapon, the puppy dog eyes, I know I always have to do as he says,”

 

“I know what you mean!” Yoona laughed, “He can have people under his complete power with his hypnotizing puppy dog eyes,”

 

They continued to jabber on and on about someone I had a slight memory of. Taecyeon. Big. Bulky. Intimidating. But apparently he's a big teddy bear.

 

Listening to Yoona and Taemin casually and comfortably talk they knew each other for years gave me that sick feeling again.

 

After staring at the Taemin and Yoona couple, I sighed, and turned my head, only to catch Jonghyun's glance.

 

Our eyes locked. It suddenly felt like we were the only two there. I couldn't read how he was feeling about this situation. I didn't understand why he wouldn't just leave so I wouldn't have to suffer seeing him with that girl. I couldn't comprehend anything about him. Why you might ask? Because he's just become a stranger; somebody that I used to know.

 

“Oppa~” The sound of her voice made me immediately look down, only to remind me that there were other people at the table too, “Want to share the food?” Shin Se Kyung offered.

 

At some point as Jonghyun and I made eye contact the food and drinks were already served.

 

“Jjongie~” Se Kyung pouted, “I'm hungry,”

 

“Really now?” He had a devilish smirk, “Shall I satisfy your hunger?”
 

From the look in his eyes she obviously knew what he meant, Se Kyung eagerly dove in herself. Both of them pulling into a heated kiss. Jonghyun's hands cupped around her small face. Her hands lay peacefully on his toned chest.

 

I gagged. Seriously?! Overdose of PDA! When Jonghyun and I dated, we would only get that intense when we were in our apartment. We never had the nerve to flat out do it in public. I can see Jonghyun has really changed. Either that or the whole time we were dating, he wore a mask hiding away his true self.

 

Yoona awkwardly coughed, causing the two disgusting lovebirds to cease their actions.

 

“Sorry,” Se Kyung apologized. “I got a little carried away,”

 

Jonghyun sighed, “Too bad. I'm still very hungry,”

 

“I'll give you more later,” Shin Se Kyung seductively whispered. Did I mention she at whispering? I swear the words that came out of echoed throughout the restaurant.

 

Then Shin Se Kyung used chopsticks and stuffed some rice into Jonghyun's mouth.

 

“Say ah,” She instructed and obediently he opened his mouth. Happily chewing he snuggled towards her.

 

“I love it when you feed me,”

 

My grip tightened on my wooden pair of chopsticks. I love it when you feed me.

 

Those words he said when we sat there watching the sunset on a fuzzy blanket when I fed him some of my delicious sandwich subs.

 

I could feel the gentle breeze. The comfy blanket. The spring smell of fresh grass. The taste of the various foods, sandwiches, fruits, and cookies. The warmth of his hands. The sound of our slow breaths. Time slowly passing us by.

 

“____, you okay?” Taemin nudged me. I snapped out of my trance to realize the whole table's eyes were on me.

 

I guess dogs aren't as obedient as you expect them to be. The dino dog I once took care of, fed, and snuggled with soon bit me back and betrayed me. Using the same words he would whisper to me to seduce a different girl. What else has he said to her? Has he re-used ever word that I thought was precious? I understood that I was dumped, however, something inside of me never wanted to believe it. I watched as this whole thing unraveled before me. I was being replaced. I was being forgotten. I was being erased from Jonghyun's life.

 

I felt the tear slip down my cheek and onto my bare skin.

 

“Ah, I'm sorry,” I apologized, “I don't know what came over me,” I was about to wipe it off with my hand, but Taemin stopped me. He pulled out a handkerchief and gently dabbed at my eyes.

 

“That's enough okay?” He softly whispered, “Don't force yourself,” He pulled me into a quick embrace, his banana-strawberry scent lingered onto me.

 

When he suddenly pulled away, my body yearned for that warmth again, only to be replaced by the bitter cold.

 

“I'm sorry,” Taemin grabbed my hand and got out of the booth, “It's about time we should go now,”

 

He nodded in Yoona's direction, “I'm sorry,”

 

She looked up at him with big eyes. She looked upset, hurt, and shocked.

 

With that we sprinted out of the restaurant, not even bothering to pay.

 

But that didn't matter. All that did matter, was that protective warmth was wrapping around me again, like shield wielding me from all the numb and pain. What I didn't realize, was that warm embrace would be something I couldn't live without.