Girl. Friend.

An Inconvenient Game
Please log in to read the full chapter

𝐀𝐫𝐢

 

At least a week had passed since the last time we went out. I hadn’t had the time to think much about what happened, since work was getting pretty hectic as spring season was in full bloom. June was always a time where people were swarming the shop as the weather was nicer. 

“Ari!” A nervous voice called. I turned my head and saw the new cashier looking scared as a bunch of people came in the store at the same time.

I quickly went to her and smiled at the customers before whispering to her. “Let me take it from here. Just stay close to me and watch, okay?” I nodded at her and she forced a smile, but looked relieved I took over.

“Hey guys! How may I help you today?” I smiled and watched the group of 5 girls looking around our shop in awe.

“Is this the coffee shop that offers pottery classes too?” The brunette asked with eager eyes. That made me smile. This was one of the main reasons why I’ve been working here for 3 years. 

“Yes.” I softly laughed. “We do offer classes, but we work with online reservations. This ensures you are signing up for our course, which is also based on the limited spots we have for each of them." I could see them listening intently and continued. "It’s possible to have drop-ins- but only if some people drop out of the course last minute. As of now, we offer multiple classes ranging from beginner to expert, but it all comes down to what you guys are most comfortable with.”

One of the girls pouted. “So we can’t just join today right?”

“Sadly, no… But if you guys would like- we can check the schedule together and you can let me know what works best for you all. How does that sound?”

They looked at each other and nodded in excitement. I heard some ‘Yes’ and ‘Awesome’.

Remembering that this was also a coffee shop, I naturally asked them. “Would you guys like to order anything in the meantime?”

“Yes! I need my matcha fix.” One exclaimed, which made the others quickly join in on the order.

 

I looked at the new cashier, Sora, and gave her a wink. She had an ‘O’ expression the whole time, really absorbing everything I was doing. Good. Hopefully she’ll stay longer than the last one we had.

When I was done taking their orders, I handed a buzzer that would ring once their order was made. “I’ll have the order ready for you guys soon.” I gestured to some of our vacant tables. “Grab a seat wherever you’d like. I’ll come see you guys with the schedule so we can see which day works best for you all.”

They thanked me and started talking as they walked to a vacant booth.

“And that- is how Ari gets it done.” My other colleague Kyungho said so only we could hear. I rolled my eyes and turned to them. He was sipping on a drink he made for himself. Probably the sweetest of drinks from the looks of it.

“What are you even drinking…” I stared at the tall glass of caramel latte that had a drizzle of brown sugar all round the cup, topped with whipped cream AND sprinkles.

“It’s my pick-me-up drink, sis. Leave me alone.” Kyungho sipped dramatically and choked.

I cackled and went to pat his back. “Please don’t do what he does.” I looked at Sora and she hid her laugh with her hand before doing an ‘OK’ sign with her hand. “But yeah, you can make yourself a drink of your choice every time you work here. It’s not taken from your pay.”

“No way! That’s so cool.” 

I smiled. “It’s not the only perk here- as you must know.” I winked.

“Of course.” She smiled with her eyes as they turned into crescent moons.

 

The sudden image of a dirty blonde guy with the cutest crescent eyes came up in my mind.

Damn. I hadn’t thought about him for a bit… My thoughts started drifting off when Kyungho snapped his fingers in front of me.

“Girl- Hello!” He then aggressively clapped in front of my face making me look at him. “Do you need me to make you a Kyungho special?” The boy was about to walk off to the coffee area when I held him back.

“I’ll stick to my chai latte, sis. Thanks.”

“You missin’ out ‘cause it’s bussin’.” He sipped and bumped his hip on mine.

I fake scoffed, “Sure, Kyungho.” I then remembered we had some orders to get to and turned to Sora. “Want to try and make some drinks?”

 

After I showed her 3 different drink recipes, I left her with Kyungho to do the last two, while I left to take our customers’ orders.

I looked at the monitor and clicked home to start a new order. "Hi! What can I get you?" My eyes went from the screen to the customer and I blinked.

The person didn't look up from his phone. "I'll get one iced caramel macchiato, 2 iced americanos, and 2 grape sodas."

I was about to ask until he added, "To go please." Without looking away from his phone.

Once I gave him the price, he scanned his phone turned away without giving me a glance, which made me purse my lips.

Not wanting to think too much about it, I handed him the buzzer so he knew when his order was ready. He took it, his eyes still glued to the phone and turned back to walk to an empty seat.

“Okay… Odd.” I raised my brows, not expecting the guy to be so attached to his phone.

Kyungho must have noticed my shift of energy, “Who was that? You know him?” He nodded at Taehyun as he kept sipping his drink.

I tilted my head. “Sorta? Kinda? We met at the club a while ago.”

Kyungho’s eyes snapped to me, “Excuse me? Come again? Ari at the club? When was this? And why wasn’t I invited.” His eyes squinted at me as he turned to face me.

“It’s not like I planned it- was pretty out of the blue.”

“Uh-huh. Your girl Yerin got you to go out? Das crazy. Kudos to her.” Kyungho smiled cheekily and smacked his lips.

I hid my head in my hands, “Oh my god… Nothing happened.” Well. Nothing too explicit.

“Hmmmm. That’s not what your cheeks are saying girl.” He gave me a look over with a smirk and turned back to head towards the counter. 

“Ari, can you help me pleaseeee!” Sora panicked as the milk frother screamed at her.

“Coming!” I blew a raspberry and shook my head to get my thoughts about Yeonjun out of my mind. Not as if that real

Please log in to read the full chapter