That's My Best Friend.

Stuck With U
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They say, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade out of it. But in the case of Kang Hiah, life didn't even give her lemons. That's why at the age of twenty nine, she's still without any lemonade - she's still single. Well, in her family's eyes, she's lonely.

Thus, she was forced to go on plenty of blind dates during her precious weekends. Today being an oh-so-awaited Saturday after five long days of her boring desk job duty, it was again time for her to be on a blind date with her mother's childhood friend's elder sister's neighbor's elder step son. According to her mother and apparently her mother's friend, this guy was a big catch for a bland-average girl like her.

Hiah cursed all her stars as she put on her tight uncomfortable-as- heels, because as claimed by her mother, men wouldn't fancy a short nut like her. Whereas a weekend was supposed to be for resting and self-healing from all the s one had to go throughout the week of working at a ty company, she was here moping over her ruined day and waste of time. 

The girl was done putting on a single heel when her phone buzzed, signaling an incoming call.  "It better not be him!"  She muttered under her breath, her new boss had a thing for calling during vacations and holidays for works that could be definitely handled once the office opened again. But no, that old brat had no chills. 

Thankfully, it wasn't her boss. The caller id read 'BaekBoo' with a poop emoji. Now don't ask the story behind the poop emoji - her best friend was now a professional vlogger - she would've called him just vlogger honestly, but that guy was just too high in his horses to call himself just that, and due to his vlogging he had to sometimes go to some recommended places and eat some exotic foods as per his followers requests, and it would end up in him having an upset stomach and all, thus came the poop emoji to embarrass-annoy him. 

"I'm not getting you anything for your loose motion!" Hiah declared as soon as she answered the call, she was already in a bad mood, so she didn't want to be a slave to this dumbhead as well. 

"Yah! Stop acting like I have loose motions all the time!" Sounding offended, her best friend protested. 

Hiah put on the other shoe while sighing, "Then why did you call?" 

"Woah! So, I can't even call my best friend without any reason now? They say friends grow apart when one of them dates or gets married. But as far as I know, none of these are happening to you at this moment. Yet you're acting too busy to talk with me!" The male continued to protest in his own annoying way. 

"Thank you very much for pointing out the very obvious fact that I'm single as , still now. My Mom, Dad and relatives weren't enough, so you definitely had to do it as well! Jerk!" Hiah spat, grabbing her purse and stomping her way out of her bedroom. Usually, she wasn't this sensitive, but today her emotions seemed to be all over the place, maybe because her period was just around the corner, or maybe she'd actually gotten old and cranky like her mother had presumed her to be. 

"Hey, I didn't mean it that way, you know it!" Baekhyun sounded a bit more calmed down than before, perhaps he got a whiff of her bad mood, finally. 

Hiah stopped in the small hallway, taking a huge breath. She felt like crying hearing his voice melting down like that. Why couldn't her mother understand her like that as well? Why was the older lady so adamant in marrying her off that she wasn't even letting her enjoy her hard earned weekends for the past few months!  "I know." She softly murmured back, calming herself down a little as well.

"Okay, so, you're going on a date, again?" He guessed - actually, at this point it wasn't even something to guess and be proud of. Everyone who knew Kang Hiah personally, they knew about her hell-ful weekends. 

"Hmm." She hummed and continued to walk towards the outer doors. She saw her mother staring at her from the kitchen, scanning her look from up to down. Finding her look up to her likings, Mrs. Kang gave her daughter an appreciative nod. The older lady then silently asked whom Hiah was talking with, Hiah only pointed her fingers towards the big picture frame of her and Baekhyun on their family memory wall. Mrs. Kang merely rolled her eyes at that. As per her, Hiah would've already been settled down if not for every single person taking Baekhyun as her lover or something like that the moment they'd see the two together. 

"Want me to save you?" Baekhyun proposed from the other line, she could hear the confident grin from his voice. 

"My Mom's going to kill you." Hiah whispered, not wanting her mother to listen as she was still within the boundary of their house. "She has set really high hopes on this guy." 

"And you?" 

Hiah had slammed the door behind her, continuing to make her way to the bus stand. Though she stopped seeing the very familiar vehicle parked in front of her home. Baekhyun's car. 

Hiah was surprised, but that didn't stop her from rushing towards the car. Even if her best friend was annoying as hell, she still missed seeing his stupidly adorable face for three whole weeks. He had been busy making traveling vlogs outside the city. She had only seen him through the videos he'd uploaded. Yes, even if she wasn't into vlogs and all, she had to watch all of his videos and leave some cheesy fangirl-like comments or else he'd make her life a living hell - one time he even reached to her office because she had forgotten to leave her comment on his video within twenty four hours after it was uploaded. 

Baekhyun was already out and came forward with a bright grin on his face. He even dramatically held his arms open for her. Hiah laughed at his antics but did give him a tight hug. "Someone's wearing a padded bra~" He sang the very moment their chests clashed. 

Hiah broke her face away from his chest and glared up at him, her hand that was clutching his jacket gave him a hard slap on his back, earning a yelp from him. "Yah! ert!"

"No, really, you never wear them when you go out with me. Are you really trying to trick this blind date guy into thinking that this barren land has grown some melons?" He snickered while pointing at her chest, scrunching his nose up cutely - but currently he was doing nothing but giving her annoyance.

Hiah pushed his laughing self away from her and crossed her arms over her chest - honestly, he was a goddamned blind man if he was calling her chest a barren land; b B cups couldn't be compared to a barren land, right?  "Byun Baekhyun, since when did you start noticing what kind of undergarments I put on when I go out with you? And excuse your poor eyesight, I do have enough volumes, you just don't need to know!" 

"Alright! Alright! I'm just curious why you're putting this much effort? Do you also have high hopes this time like your mother?" Conceding, the guy asked a little less playfully. 

"Nope. I'm just doing it so that Mom wouldn't nag about me looking like a hobo when I go out for the blind dates." Hiah groaned, explaining.

The male reached his fingers to brush something invisible off her cheek, a soft smile adorning his features, "Even though sometimes you do look like a hobo, you're a really cute one." And that was when his soft features morphed into mischief.

"Shut up!" Hiah glared at her best friend, for not taking her seriously. Well, Byun Baekhyun was never wholly serious. He was his own class, his own color, living in his own world. 

"So, say again. Do you want me to save you?" Baekhyun asked for the second time of the day. It's nothing new, he had so many tricks up his sleeves to coax her mother into give her the permission to ditch the blind dates, she couldn't even count them anymore. And it was possible mostly because her mother did love Baekhyun like her own son as the male practically grew up with Hiah. His parents being moved to the States when they were in highschool, gave him even more chances to visit Hiah's home as her mother would invite him almost everyday to eat homemade food. Thus the attachment continued to grow. 

Hiah nodded her head vigorously, "Yes, please! I'll treat you to your favorite pizza if you can do it!"

A proud scoff went past his lips, "Of course, I can do it, Kang Hiah. I've promised to always save you when you need to be saved." He ended his speech in his own dramatic way, reminding her of his promise from years ago. "You better prepare your money bag, Missy. Because I'm famished."

Saying so, the male pinched her nose and gestured her to follow him as he made his way inside the Kang's house. Hiah grinned in relief, already imagining kicking her high heels off and snuggling into her bed for the rest of the morning.

 

 

Hiah deliberately went inside her residence five minutes later, so that she wouldn't have to face the blow along with Baekhyun if her mother went berserk. 

In contrast to her imaginations, she found her mother and her best friend chuckling and gossiping like a pair of besties. Her mother had even offered him the cookies that she'd been dying to taste since last night, but was too tired to eat them. She wanted to smack the male's head hard as he continued to wolf down all the cookies like he seriously hadn't eaten for days. But she held in, because this guy really did make the impossible task possible again. Her mother didn't look even a bit annoyed, the coast seemed wholly clear. 

"Yah, where are you going?" Hiah's mother called for her when she decided to enter her room and change out of these fitting clothes as the first thing. 

"Uhh to change?" She offered nervously. 

"You'll be going to a wedding. You look perfectly nice in this dress. Don't need to change out of it." Her mother shrugged and gestured her to come back to join them in the couches.

"A wedding?" Hiah asked, shocked. She turned towards Baekhyun for an explanation. Did he just make a fake story of someone's wedding to save her? Was he idiot enough to forget that if they were going to lie about it, then how would they show her mother the supposedly wedding pictures that they knew the older woman would definitely want to see later as a proof. 

"Yeap. One of my very old friends from Bucheon is getting married today. I need to bring a plus one." He grinned and shrugged, as if it was nothing. It was again nothing new for them in actuality, since both of them had never gotten into any serious relationships, they had been each other's plus ones to many weddings. 

What was annoying her about the whole ordeal was, she'd not only have to go out and roam around in this suffocating outfit, she'd even have to socialize with a ton of people instead of just one. "Mom, can I just go to that blind date instead?" Hiah glared at Baekhyun before turning towards her mother. 

"Nope. You're going to that wedding with Baek." The older woman stated firmly. 

"But-"

"C'mon, Hi, we'll be late if we don't start now!" Baekhyun stood up, bowing at Hiah's mother like a gentleman. "Aunty, I'll bring back your daughter safely. Don't worry about her!" Then he was dragging the girl out with him with full enthusiasm.

 

                                               _______

 

 

"What on earth did you tell my Mom for her to agree to let me go somewhere else other than the date?" Hiah had had enough patience to not disturb him when Baekhyun was busy finishing a whole large pizza all alone. But now that he was back at driving, she couldn't help it anymore.

"Well, I didn't do much." The male shrugged innocently, "I just pointed out that if you'd go on that date, you'll be able to meet only one guy. But if you'd go to the wedding, you'd be able to meet numerous guys." 

Hiah gaped at him, "You really have no sympathy for me!" 

"What! It's not like guys would be able to come to you when I'm with you." Baekhyun winked at her playfully, they themselves were aware that people misunderstood their closeness as friends as something else - something more than friendship. 

"I'm counting on you, then. Don't ditch me for your pretty little fangirls!" She warned him in advance - Baekhyun was kind of famous if one would look at it. He had started just as a simple vlogger, but people seemed to find his dressing sense quite attractive and fashionable as he started gaining followers. And it had led him to launch his own clothing brand, he even had offers of doing some modeling here and there. So he'd have people - especially female population - who'd recognize him and would be flaunting him all their attentions. 

"Not today. I'll have my eyes only on you, Milady." He again winked as he stated, his face a little too close to her than it should be when he was freaking driving. In the next second, his face was gone back to focus on the road ahead of them.

Hiah stopped breathing for a second. Baekhyun was always like this, speaking whatever came to his mind, he was the cool kid with cool accents and all. So the endearment wasn't even something that he'd use with seriousness. He even called her mother and grandmother with the same endearment sometimes, he was just too playful to care about these. But his words, why did he say he'd have his eyes on her? Even though he was her best friend and he'd obviously seen her in her absolute worsts, it still suddenly made her self conscious hearing such words from him. 

"Whatever!" To save herself from the sudden unwanted stupid thoughts, she just shrugged and unlocked her phone to divert her attention. She went to her messenger app, replying to some of the texts from her friendly coworkers. It wasn't even two minutes of peace as she screeched and threw her phone off her hands like it burnt her skin. 

"What the !" Baekhyun also jumped in his seat, out of panic he stopped the car immediately. "What was that?" He glared at the girl, asking for an explanation for her sudden reaction.

"I…H-He.." Hiah clamped her palms over , feeling her guts twist as if she was going to throw up - making the male beside her wide his eyes frantically as he didn't want his precious car to be showered with vomit - but fortunately or unfortunately she didn't. Though her eyes did water at the physical strain, as well as mental strain of what she had just witnessed in her phone.

Baekhyun sighed in relief seeing that Hiah wasn't actually going to throw up. Though he did want to check out what had scared her like this. So, he bent over to collect her fallen phone.

"No! Don't watch it, oh my god!" Hiah screeched yet again, trying to snatch her phone back from Baekhyun's grasp. 

"Then tell me what's it?" Baekhyun opened the window and stretched his hand out of it, so that she wouldn't be able to reach her device until he wanted to hand it back.

"Baek, please just… It's…it's h-horrible. I don't… I don't know h-how to explain-"

"Alright. I'm watching it." He told her firmly, suddenly in his rare serious mode. It made her shut up immediately. Also, maybe letting him watch and delete it would be the best option because she herself didn't have any energy in her to delete it on her own, because for doing it she'd have to see it again. "What in the ing hell!" Baekhyun yelled the moment he'd unlocked her phone and the chat she was in got revealed before his eyes. "Kim Junho, isn't this your current boss? The new manager? Why would this bastard send you his pics?"

Hiah winced at the words, hearing it felt as nasty as watching it had felt. She wanted to bury herself under the ground out of shame and humiliation. Her fingers were still trembling. She had never faced something like this, that even from someone she knew, someone who was her superior at work, someone whom she thought she'd get to look up to. She heard Baekhyun mutter some loud curses as he threw her phone somewhere in the backseat, and the next thing she knew, she was cradled in a side hug from the male.

"Hey, hey, sshsshh! It's okay. s like this don't deserve your tears." He softly cooed while patting her head, the fingers of his free hands came to softly wipe her tears away. She didn't even know when she had started crying, perhaps his sudden softness was what making her even more emotional. She knew they didn't deserve her tears, but she was just feeling so bad for herself. All her life, she had remained single in hopes of finding one nice guy to be settled down with. But it seemed like fate wanted to mock her and let her face some creeps instead of letting her finally meet the one for her. "Besides, that dude is an idiot if he thinks his small can impress you?" 

Hiah let out a mixture of laughter and cry at his words. Here he was, her best friend, who never knew when to stop joking - but somehow, it was one of her favorite traits of him, because not everyone could be as lighthearted as him, it was a blessing in a way to be like this. "Shut up, it's not even funny!" She jabbed at his waist, causing the male to yelp and squirm and lastly letting her go to get away from her attacks.

"But it did make you laugh!" He pointed out, grinning proudly. 

Hiah rolled her eyes at the male's antics. But soon after, a sigh left past her lips as she couldn't continue to laugh or even smile. "Baek, can you…. p-please.."

Baekhyun didn't need her to be able to finish her sentence, as he knew her like the back of his hands. So, he also stripped off his playful glimmer and shook his head strictly, "There's no way we're going to delete that. We're going to report that to the HR and also to the directors." 

Hiah gaped at him, "What? I can't keep those horrendous pictures anywhere near my phone!" She protested immediately, just by thinking about them was causing her to want to throw up everything she ate for breakfast. "And also…. you can't go to the HR and directors of my workplace. You don't work there, Baekhyun." She then mumbled softly under her breath. 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes sassily even though he knew she had a point. "Then you'd have to do it alone. Can you do it?" He pinned her under his gaze, waiting for her to answer him.

Hiah nervously squirmed in her seat. What's with him and his out-of-chatacter seriousness today? "Hi?" He called her again, his voice deep and somehow authoritative, causing the girl to even feel beads of sweat forming on her forehead.

"I… I n-need time to think about it."

Even though that was the answer Baekhyun wasn't expecting, he knew her answer would definitely be something like this. 

"C'mon, Hi, what do you need time for?" The male sighed and urged her. "You'd just have to go to them and throw the proof on their desks. It's what every woman should do whenever they're facing something like this!"

"Baek, you know that the new manager is the director's cousin, right?" Hiah finally let out the factor that was bugging her the most. "I'm… I'm just afraid that I'd lose my job if I try to report him. And….and you know how important this job is for me. I don't want to work at my father's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter