five

you're a reason

a/n: and so the plot thickens...does it make sense? i dont know but it probably will. is it necessary? i dont know but yes. is it moving faster? a bit...bc this was originally supposed to be a one shot, but obvi go out of control. is there good things to come? yes. i will not hesitate to spoil that along with bad things to come but i havent decided how bad maybe not so bad im not in the mood to make myself cry or others lolol (your trusty writer) 

anyway enjoy! i'm going to bed bc ive been up too long (hope everyone has enjoyed Irene on bubble the last couple of days uwu i have been so this is my gift to you!) 


Seungwan steps out of the car feeling disgruntled. Usually she gets dropped off early so no one catches the expensive cars that her father sends her in, but today, her older sister, Seunghee decides to bring her to school. It’s an obnoxiously red sports car with an engine that revs so loudly you can hear it down the street. 

“Remember what I said, block with your arms not with your face!” Seunghee teases with a heartwarming smile. 

Seungwan rolls her eyes and books it from the car. Their father always says that Seunghee has been working hard at the company and she’s climbing the ranks quickly. As much as she loves her sister for checking in on her, her free spirit can be a bit too much. Honestly, it’s surprising how free spirited she is with how insanely busy it’s been at the company. Maybe she’s doing it for Seungwan’s benefit, to leave work at work, and be a good big sister. It’s a sentiment that Seungwan appreciates, but it doesn’t stop her from being embarrassed when Seunghee revs the car to catch everyone’s attention. 

Joohyun happens to be at the entrance with an amused smile on her face upon seeing Seungwan’s flustered expression. 

“Nice car,” Joohyun points out as Seunghee drives away. 

“Please don’t,” Seungwan ducks past Joohyun into the building, hugging her books to her chest. She can hear Joohyun chuckle as she walks away. 

Seungwan walks down the halls, ignoring the looks thrown at her. They’re all talking about yesterday and what happened yesterday. She makes a beeline for her locker, where Chanyeol is waiting for her. She curses to herself, but holds her head up as if he’s not there. She just needs to get her things and get to class. 

Chanyeol places a hand on her locker to stop it from opening. He hovers over her menacingly. “Let’s have a conversation,” he hisses into her ear. 

Seungwan tenses in fear. She has no choice but to follow him when he places his hand at her elbow and guides her away from the lockers. As much as she wants to resist, she doesn’t want to make another scene. Especially with how dark Chanyeol’s aura is as he guides her through the halls. 

There are eyes that follow her, curious ones, but worse, jealous ones. Chanyeol is considered to be one of the most attractive guys in school. Girls love his charming smile and smooth voice. They like that he’s bad because they think when he’s sweet it’s his true character. Seungwan knows better. She’s known Chanyeol for years to know who he really is. 

People think that he teases her because he likes her. But if people knew the way he whispers at her, the mean things he says when no one is listening, the harsh grip when no one is looking. Seungwan ignores him as a means for self preservation. 

He leads her out to the courtyard, where a big tree stands at one of the ends, obscuring them. Many students would hide there in between classes, when no one is around, to make out. 

Seungwan hugs the books to her chest. She carefully stands so that her back isn’t against the tree. “What do you want, Chanyeol?” she asks when he finally stops walking. 

Chanyeol chuckles as he runs his hand through his hair. “What do you think, jagiya?” he returns with a smirk on his face. “I want to ruin you.” 

Seungwan swallows, tightening her grip around her books. Her eyes dart beside her to make sure she still has an escape. 

“I see right through you, Son Seungwan,” his voice is laced with venom around her name. “You look after that like a little trained puppy, it’s pathetic. I can see how much you like her.” 

Seungwan clenches her jaw. “Don’t talk about her like that. She’s not a .”

Chanyeol snickers. “I can't believe you would defend the likes of her. She gets paid to accompany men, what do you think that means? Holding hands and going on dates? She s them, Seungwan, don’t act all innocent. She does it all for money!” 

“Shut up!” Seungwan feels her blood boil. She hates how he talks about Joohyun. Because she’s more than that. She’s more than who she was.

“Don’t delude yourself,” Chanyeol spits out. “I’ll show you, jagiya. That girl you like so much is nothing but a willing to kneel for money. And you're a fool for choosing to defend that poor like she means something. People like her are meant to be used by people like us.” 

Seungwan shakes in her spot. Furious at how he talks about Joohyun. All the words he says are vile and baseless. “You’re horrible, Chanyeol,” she growls. “How you treat people, how you think of them.” She clenches her books in her hands, trying to find her courage. She thinks of Joohyun and how the woman wouldn’t let this stand. “You hate that you can’t have me so much, so you want to ruin everything for me. I’m not going to let you.” 

Chanyeol stands before her stunned. 

“I like Bae Joohyun and if you think I'm going to let you do anything to her, think again,” Seungwan declares as bravely as she can. “Stay away from us.” She turns around and walks away from him, holding her books tight to her chest as her heart pounds inside of her chest. She feels incredible and terrified as she goes back into the building. She can't believe she just did that. 

Chanyeol watches as Seungwan walks away from him. He sneers at the back of her head. "She thinks she's that much better than me, huh? I'll ing show you, Son Seungwan." 

 

 

Joohyun senses something off with Seungwan. She knows that the younger girl is generally quiet and isolated when she’s in class. However, there are more and more moments recently where Joohyun catches her staring after her and giving encouraging smiles and sometimes saying nice things about her works. Seungwan is sweet and kind. She’s gentle as a person. 

Joohyun can’t lie though. She likes the younger girl. After their phone conversation, Joohyun thinks all night about how close they've gotten in the last couple of months.

You’ve inspired me to do better.

She’s proud of Seungwan. So she expects the girl’s head to be held up high, eyes just as focused as ever. Then she sees Chanyeol at Seungwan's locker, whispering in her ear, taking her away. 

At a distance, she can see them talking. Joohyun waits carefully, trying not to get caught. She doesn’t want to kick up a fuss if Seungwan doesn’t need help, but she knows that there’s a heaviness in Seungwan’s heart as she walks away from the conversation.

For the rest of the day, Seungwan is timid and careful around Joohyun. She says even less and tries to work around Joohyun like she’s made of glass. She wants Seungwan to be timidly sweet around her, to anxiously reach out to her, to hear her nerdy ramblings in class that she's grown to adore. In short, Joohyun hates how Seungwan isn't quite herself after talking to Chanyeol. It makes her worry. 

Joohyun is in the study room, waiting for Seungwan to show up when someone else does. 

Chanyeol stands in the doorway with an impish smile on his face. 

“What do you want?” she glowers at his expression. 

“I need you for something, noona,” Chanyeol says as he takes a seat across from her. 

“I’m not here to help you, Chanyeol. Leave,” she orders angrily. She hates that he’s in what she’s considered a sanctuary for her and Seungwan. 

Chanyeol arrogantly laughs at her as he sinks into the chair comfortably. “Now, now, Joohyun noona, I know that things must be tough now that your mother is dead. May she rest in peace.” 

Joohyun clenches her pencil tightly, feeling the wood bend under her grasp. “Get out.” 

“I just think that I can help you if you do something for me.” 

“I don’t need your help.” 

“That’s where you’re wrong. Interest on hospital bills are expensive, your sister’s ongoing treatments are expensive, and I think your rent is about to go up too.” Joohyun stares at him harshly, wondering what the hell he’s talking about. “That nice affordable apartment complex you live in? That’s one of my family’s properties.” He smiles proudly. “It just so happens that with property taxes going up and we need to pay for it somehow.” 

The pencil starts to crack in her hand. “You piece of .” 

Chanyeol’s cheek twitches. “Now, now. That’s not a way to talk to your landlord’s son now is it? It’d be a shame so close to the end of the month if your payment didn’t go through.” 

Joohyun grits her teeth. She has enough going on between work and school, moving suddenly wouldn’t be a good option for Yeri, and she needs time to figure out the money in their account. “What do you want then?” she carefully treads, knowing how determined Chanyeol seems to look at trying to make her bend.

Chanyeol’s smile grows ten times over. “I want to pay you to date Son Seungwan.” 

What?” Joohyun growls. 

Chanyeol chuckles as he pulls out an envelope from his jacket. He opens it up and tosses it on the table letting the wons slide out. Joohyun looks at the money, it’s a ridiculously generous amount. “Three million won a month for every month that you date Son Seungwan.” 

“You’re ridiculous,” Joohyun spits out. She shakes her head in disbelief. “What makes you think we aren’t already dating?” She stares back at him arrogantly. Her heart starts to pound in her chest at the lie. But she won't date Seungwan because someone pays her.

He falters, ever so slightly, but Joohyun sees it. “Highly doubt it,” Chanyeol recovers to confidently counter. “Do you know her favorite color? What does she like to eat? What are her hobbies? Who does she confide in the most?” Joohyun hardens her stare and he just smiles, knowing to call her bluff. “Don’t worry, you’ll learn all of that soon enough, I’m sure. I’m paying you a lot to do a good job.” 

Joohyun wants to reach across the table and punch him. The way he talks about Seungwan as if he is the one that knows everything and the way he treats her like . She’s held back for awhile now but Chanyeol’s antagonism has reached a new level. He’s gone mad and Joohyun knows that she needs to tread carefully. 

“What do you get out of this?” Joohyun grits out. 

Chanyeol’s eyes are dark as he leans across the table; a feral smile grows on his lips. “I get to ruin Son Seungwan.” 

 

 

Seungwan feels uneasy after her conversation with Chanyeol. As much as she feels confident in standing up for herself, something about it all doesn’t sit too well with her. She hates how anxious she feels. Chanyeol’s threats aren’t to be taken lightly. She knows he’s doing this out of retaliation for Jinyoung; after all, there's zero tolerance on bullying and her father's presence scares the out of Headmaster Lee. Jinyoung will have to finish his education elsewhere, if he even has a chance to. 

She just doesn’t know what Chanyeol's up to and she needs to figure it out. She has to figure it out because how else can she protect Joohyun?

“I’m sorry, I’m late,” Seungwan says when she reaches their study room. She feels more relaxed in Joohyun’s presence and in the sanctuary of their study room. It’s a place where it’s only two of them. 

Joohyun gets up from her seat with a smile on her face and approaches her. “It’s alright, Seungwan-ssi.” 

Seungwan lets out a small frown because she thought they were closer after yesterday. 

Suddenly, Joohyun cups her cheek and pulls her in until their foreheads are touching followed by their noses. Seungwan gasps as Joohyun tilts her head and she can almost feel her lips. Seungwan tries to move away but she’s locked in Joohyun’s orbit.

The door to the room shuts with a click behind her and Joohyun’s other hand falls onto her waist to move her against it. Seungwan feels her knees go weak as Joohyun presses against her. Behind her the shutter gets pulled down and it makes Seungwan’s heart pound at the realization of how secluded they are now. The only thing she hears is her heart pounding in her ears.

Joohyun tilts her head, nose tracing Seungwan’s cheekbone carefully to avoid pressing the bruises. The soft skin against Seungwan causes a fire to flare inside her belly. Seungwan doesn’t know what to do. She’s torn between telling Joohyun to stop and telling her to do something

Joohyun’s breath is hot in her ear. “Moan, Seungwan,”  she whispers. 

“I--I–” Seungwan’s brain short circuits. “I don’t know what you mean, Joohyun unnie,” she whispers in return. 

“Moan or I’ll make you,” Joohyun instructs. 

Seungwan feels all the sounds arrest in . She tries to do what Joohyun says, but she can’t. Suddenly she feels Joohyun’s lips at her neck followed by a small bite and Seungwan whimpers pathetically at the electrifying sensation that shoots through her. There’s a small thump beside her head and Seungwan jumps at the sound. 

The small bite turns into and the moan Joohyun demands climbs out of Seungwan’s throat. Seungwan shudders at the sensation.  It feels too good for Joohyun to stop and Seungwan automatically keens into it for Joohyun to continue. Another moan escapes her lips more easily but it’s followed by a whine the harder Joohyun . 

After what feels like forever, when Seungwan’s legs turn into jelly, Joohyun pulls back slowly. Her face still close to Seungwan’s as she searches for Seungwan’s eyes. 

“Are you okay?” she asks tenderly. She brushes Seungwan’s bangs out of her face. 

Seungwan’s chest heaves and her cheeks are burning. “What was that?” she rushes out her question. 

“I’m sorry,” Joohyun guiltily says. “I should’ve asked permission before I did that.” There’s a small smile on her face that suggests the guilt isn’t all that bothersome to her.

“I-I-” I liked it. I wanted it. Seungwan can hear her heart pounding in her ears. “I am just confused.” 

Joohyun pulls away from Seungwan and goes back to the table. “We have a problem. Specifically a Chanyeol problem.” She starts to pack her bag. “We can’t talk here though.” 

Seungwan is so confused, but she watches as Joohyun quickly packs up her bag and pulls on her jacket. She shoves a thick envelope into her pocket before she stands before Seungwan again. 

“Can I?” Joohyun asks, hand raised at her tie. 

Seungwan tilts her head and dubiously says, “Sure?” 

Joohyun tugs at the tie, pulling it askew, before reaching down and untucking part of her shirt from her skirt.

“Joohyun unnie!” Seungwan gasps. Her heart jumps wildly in her chest. She grabs Joohyun’s hand, feeling her whole body go warm. There’s a small smirk on Joohyun’s face before she reaches up and threads her fingers in Seungwan’s hair. Joohyun’s palm is flat against the base of her neck as her fingers tangle in her locks before tugging ever so slightly. 

“Grab me back,” Joohyun instructs as she presses into Seungwan again. Seungwan doesn’t know what she means but when she feels Joohyun press against her chest, Seungwan’s hand falls onto Joohyun’s shoulder to anchor herself and she grips Joohyun’s jacket collar tightly. 

As quickly as it happens, it ends. Joohyun pulls away, with Seungwan’s hand still on her, messing up her jacket even more. Joohyun doesn’t care though, opening the door behind Seungwan and leaving the room, tugging her hand to follow. Seungwan stumbles after her. 

Seungwan feels like she’s on a rollercoaster as she follows Joohyun out. She doesn’t let go of Joohyun’s hand as they leave the school grounds. She doesn’t even register their surroundings, missing how a few students see her disheveled state. Her only focus is on Joohyun as she tugs her along. 

 

 

They end up at a convenience store down the street from campus. 

“Are you hungry?” Joohyun asks as she pushes into the convenient store. 

Seungwan doesn’t know what to say and shakes her head. Joohyun purses her lips and grabs some instant tteokbokki and two cokes.

“What’s going on, Joohyun unnie?” Seungwan asks, standing beside Joohyun as they wait for the tteokbokki to heat up. Joohyun smiles mysteriously as Seungwan speaks. “Why did you–” 

Joohyun has a small smirk on her lips as Seungwan speaks. She glances at the girl. “We’re far from school, so you can cover that up,” Joohyun eyes her neck. The smirk grows. 

Seungwan’s eyes widen and she looks in the window to see the blooming bruise on her neck. She tugs her collar close and exclaims, “Yah! What the hell, Joohyun?!” She turns beet red as she points accusatorily at the woman. “Why-why did you do this?!” 

Joohyun doesn’t answer. The microwave timely beeps that it’s done and Joohyun takes out the food. She grabs some chopsticks and their drinks before walking out of the store. Seungwan follows after her quickly. She finds an open table at the edge of the storefront for them to sit down.  

Joohyun is cool as a cucumber while Seungwan is still a flustered mess. She has a hickey on her neck because of the woman before her and she didn’t even realize it. Is this what she gets for enjoying it so much? 

“Yah,” Seungwan snaps with a pouty frown. “Can you stop eating and explain what is going on?” 

Joohyun is still chewing her tteokbokki and smiles at Seungwan’s pout. She talks with full, “Why does Chanyeol want to ruin you?” 

Seungwan’s eyes go wide. “What’re you talking about?” she stammers out in shock. 

Joohyun takes the envelope of money out of her pocket and sets it before Seungwan. “He’s giving me money to date you.” 

Seungwan’s jaw drops. “What?” she exclaims. She picks up the envelope to look at what’s inside. “This is-this is so much!” 

Joohyun chuckles. “Three million won a month for every month I date you.” 

Seungwan looks at the woman in unrelenting shock. She doesn’t know why, but hearing Chanyeol pay for Joohyun to date her makes her both angry and hurt. Angry that Chanyeol would use Joohyun like this and hurt that Joohyun would take his money. Unconsciously she clenches the envelope of money. 

Joohyun is her own person with a history unknown to Seungwan. Why she did what she did for so long is her own volition. She believed her father when he said Joohyun was no longer an . She believed that Joohyun was on a different path where she didn’t have to sell her body for money. But she can’t stop Joohyun from doing what she needs to do. 

Seungwan hands Joohyun the envelope back. Chanyeol really wants to ruin her. All she wants to do is take care of Joohyun. 

“Why’re you giving it to me?” Joohyun asks pointedly. 

“Well, he gave it to you and you took it, so…” Seungwan feels sad saying it out loud. 

Joohyun takes the envelope and Seungwan feels sadder that she does. Until she feels a smack on her head. 

“Oof!” Seungwan grabs her forehead, startled by being smacked with the envelope of money and looks at Joohyun with wide eyes. 

Joohyun stares at her in amusement. “You think I took it because I wanted to?” 

“Eh?” 

Joohyun clicks her tongue at Seungwan and carelessly throws the money back on the table. “Do you think I’d take money from someone like Chanyeol?” She eats another piece of tteokbokki and dramatically sighs. “Ahh, Son Seungwan, here I thought you were better than that.” 

“What do you mean?” 

“He is threatening me,” Joohyun bluntly says. Seungwan gasps. “Not outright, but apparently his father owns the apartment complex I stay in. He knows enough about my situation that he knows where I live.” She stabs a piece of tteokbokki. “If there are two things that I hate, it’s when people threaten me.” Seungwan clams up at the way Joohyun speaks angrily. “And when innocent people get hurt. So tell me, Seungwan, why does Chanyeol want to ruin you?” 

Seungwan looks down. She’s never talked to anyone about Chanyeol before. She never thought she’d have to. She just wanted to graduate in peace, go away for college, and hopefully never see him again. Even if she did, she’d want to be in a place where he absolutely couldn’t touch her. 

“We were supposed to get married.” 

Joohyun doesn’t say anything but the look on her face is enough to say it all. She is as shocked as anyone would be if they knew how close she and Chanyeol used to be.

“His parents are heads of the Park Group; not the food industry but the shipping industry. When I was younger, our families were in the same business circles and naturally, Chanyeol and I got close. He became a good friend of mine and we were young and silly. He was cute and kind to me; we joked about being married to each other one day. But I grew up learning that my affections for him were what I’d feel for a brother. I–I don’t—” Seungwan shifts in her seat as she looks at Joohyun and calmly admits, “I like girls.” 

Joohyun doesn’t react. She stares at her gently and allows her to continue speaking. Seungwan feels like she can breathe with how Joohyun doesn’t look at her any differently. It feels strange saying it out loud to someone outside of her family. 

“When his parents struggled with maintaining the shipping business, they sought help from my father and talked about how close we all were. They suggested we get married as a means to help our businesses. But I told my father how I felt with the help of my older sister. I don’t know if it’s because he knew the business proposal was off or because of me, but he relented.”

“Was that rejection what made him angry? The Park Group is still doing well from what I know.”

“They struggled for a few years,” Seungwan answers. She’s felt a bit of guilt since then, but she knew what she was capable of. It wasn’t her fault that the Park Group struggled entirely; their business doings were an issue that were supposed to be fixed if she played a pawn. “It was only until we entered high school that their family started to bounce back. They relinquished much of their shipping companies and ventured into property to stabilize. My father was able to do enough to help maintain good relations, but there is always tension when we cross paths now.” 

Joohyun observes Seungwan carefully. “He bullies you,” she bluntly reminds. “That’s not tension, Seungwan. He actively bullies you.” Her jaw and her grip around her chopsticks tighten. “He’s more scum than I thought.” Her brows furrow in concentration. 

Seungwan is unsure of how to take Joohyun’s reaction. Seulgi has sympathized with her well and has been a great support when she found out the truth between her and Chanyeol. But the look on Joohyun’s face is nothing but anger and determination. She worries. 

“When he said he threatened you…” Seungwan carefully begins. “What did he say?” 

Joohyun is pulled from her thoughts at Seungwan’s question. “He threatened to either have his parents raise the rent or somehow magically have my payments disappear,” she casually answers. 

“That’s not right.” 

“Yeah, no kidding.” 

Seungwan frowns. She looks at the money on the table. Three million won is more than enough to sustain a person, even two, in a month. It’s a lucrative deal for Joohyun. “You can take it,” Seungwan says. Joohyun raises an eyebrow at her. “The money he gave you. If he’s paying you to date me, you might as well take it. I can’t imagine being in your position where he’s threatening your livelihood—” 

Joohyun puts down her chopsticks and turns to Seungwan fully. The look in her eyes are fiery as she bores a stare into Seungwan. “Don’t tell me to take money for dating you. If I date you, it’s going to be because I want to.” 

Simkung

Seungwan lets out a small gasp. Her eyes widen in shock at Joohyun’s words. Her sweet words are full of sincerity and honesty. It is unexpected but not unwelcome. It’s only what Seungwan could’ve imagined and never becoming reality. And yet, Joohyun is unwavering as she stares into Seungwan’s eyes. 

Seungwan doesn’t even know how to respond. She’s too shocked to form words. Her heart is completely in overdrive as she stares at Joohyun. 

Joohyun just smiles at her. It’s full of affection. She pats Seungwan’s head endearingly. “You’re adorable, Seungwannie,” she lightly says, aside Seungwan’s bangs. “I understand if you think of me differently, but my feelings for you have grown since we met. I do like you and I don’t want to taint what growing feelings I have for you by letting Chanyeol spoil it. I want to be honest with you because you are one of the most genuine people I know. And that’s what I like about you.” 

Seungwan feels her heart pound at Joohyun’s words. “Really?” she whispers in shock. “Do you really feel that way?” 

“Mm hmm.” Joohyun smiles at her. 

Seungwan swallows, trying to keep her heart from coming out of . “You would date me?” She suddenly feels her cheeks burn. 

Joohyun chuckles. “Yes, Seungwan.” She lets out a small sigh. “I wish the circumstances were different, I wish we could get to know each other more, but I do want to date you.” 

“Are you sure?” Seungwan uncertainly asks. She doesn’t know why out of all the questions she asks that. Maybe it’s the whole situation with Chanyeol. Maybe it’s because she’s only just started understanding her feelings for Joohyun. Maybe it’s because she doesn’t expect Joohyun to speak so honestly.

“I am sure,” Joohyun shyly sits back. “Like I said, I understand if you don’t feel the same.” Her hands rub the top of her knees to ease some tension, but there’s a sheepish smile on her face as she rubs the back of her neck. “Don’t worry about Chanyeol, I’ll figure out what to do with him.” 

“It’s not that!” Seungwan protests quickly. She blushes furiously, her hands on her knees, as she ducks bashfully from Joohyun’s gaze. “I feel the same way about you. I like you, Joohyun unnie.” She shrinks into herself ever so slightly at the admission. “You shouldn’t have to figure out what to do about Chanyeol. I don’t want you to figure it out on your own because it’s my fault. We should work together. And I want…I want us to date.” 

Seungwan shyly glances up through her eyelashes and sees Joohyun stare at her with hopeful eyes and pink cheeks.

 

They end up discussing how they should move forward with Chanyeol looming over them. Both of them come to the conclusion that if they are honest about their feelings, that they can keep moving forward together. While Chanyeol has put them in this situation, Joohyun is firm about not letting him spoil their emotions and Seungwan doesn’t disagree when her feelings for Joohyun have been growing everyday. It’s better that they try to date for real than fake something that pushes them further away. 

 

“I’ve seen enough romcoms to know that Chanyeol is using this money as a front to make you eventually hate me,” Joohyun says much to Seungwan’s surprise. “The scheme of making it seem like I’m just playing you–” she shakes her head with disappointment about Chanyeol. “He didn’t account for my feelings for you.” 

“You watch romcoms?” Seungwan asks with interest. 

“That’s what you got out of that?” Joohyun frowns. 

Seungwan blushes. “I suppose not…but I was just surprised you said you watch romcoms. I didn’t think you’d like those kinds of movies.” 

Joohyun smiles, pink dusting her cheeks. “Who doesn’t like a good happy ending?” 

“I like them a lot too,” Seungwan responds. There’s a moment where they feel like they’re syncing up again, being on the same wavelength without saying it aloud. Joohyun feels her heart warm.

 

They walk back to the school together. There is barely anyone there save for athletes and club members but even then it’s almost time for the school to empty. 

 

“So why did you—in the library?” Seungwan asks. She hates that she’s embarrassed about it but it’s not like they kissed but Joohyun did–

“Leave a mark on you?” Joohyun clarifies Seungwan’s question with a teasing smile. Seungwan blushes and nods. “I had a feeling that Chanyeol was going to keep an eye on us so if I acted quickly, he’d think I’m complying.” 

“Acting?” Seungwan pouts. 

Joohyun raises an eyebrow and steps in front of Seungwan. She stares at Seungwan until the younger girl meets her eyes. When she does, Joohyun leans forward towards her and Seungwan’s eyes go wide. She sees Joohyun purse her lips ever so slightly and she panics.

Seungwan pulls back quickly, feeling the blush on her cheeks again. “Wh-what’re you doing?” she demands her heart to stop pounding so suddenly. She puts her hand over her heart to calm down. 

Joohyun pulls back with a smirk on her face. “There are levels of intimacy that can make a relationship seem casual versus serious. Leaving a mark on you is an act of passion. I can let everyone know what I’ve done to you without actually doing much to you. I can lay my claim for show without confusing you.” 

“But…you did–” Seungwan wants to say a lot but Joohyun really didn’t. Seungwan chews her bottom lip. “I haven’t been in a relationship before. Or intimate with anyone.” She looks down at her shoes. “I don’t know what I’m doing,” she admits. “Will this be okay?”

“That’s okay.” Joohyun places her hands on Seungwan’s upper arms. Seungwan looks at Joohyun with doe-like eyes to make sure she heard her right. “We can take our time. When you’re ready, talk to me.” She squeezes Seungwan’s arms encouragingly. “I’d like to kiss you properly when we are both ready.” 

Seungwan feels her heart flip inside of her. She blushes even harder. “What do I do?” she whines before diving forward into Joohyun’s arms to hug her. She squeals internally at how mature and calm Joohyun is. She doesn’t feel pressured but her heart pounds with anticipation. When she’s ready. She can wait until she’s ready. “When will the right time be?” 

Joohyun is initially stunned by the hug but she can’t help but chuckle when she hears the whine in Seungwan’s voice. She closes her arms around Seungwan’s shoulders to pull her in close. “Soon, hopefully?” she jests. She can smell the sweetness of Seungwan's shampoo and body wash. The scent is warm like a summer day and it makes Joohyun want to hold her even tighter.  

Seungwan whines some more at the teasing. She wants it to be soon but her heart keeps pounding so uncontrollably. She knows she’s not ready. And to jump into it would be foolish. She feels the vibrations of Joohyun’s chest as she chuckles. 

“Yah! Son Seungwan!” 

Seungwan pulls away from the woman at the sound of her name being called. They look over to see Seulgi running over towards the with her water bottle in hand and duffle bag swinging wildly on her back. She’s still dressed in her volleyball uniform and a bit sweaty as she rushes towards Seungwan. 

Before she can even react, Seulgi essentially tackles Seungwan in her arms to sweep her away from Joohyun. Seulgi checks over Seungwan carefully, making sure everything is in order. “I heard what happened, are you okay?” She glares at Joohyun quickly before checking Seungwan’s head, face, cheeks, neck. She immediately yells. “What the hell is this?!” Upon seeing the mark on Seungwan’s neck. 

Seulgi whips around to Joohyun. She’s got barely an inch over the older woman but she’s got adrenaline and fury coursing through her veins. “What did you do to Seungwan?! Who do you think you are?!” she scolds angrily. 

Joohyun is surprised that Seulgi is yelling, but she doesn’t cower. She glances over at Seungwan, who tries to tug the angry bear back. 

“Seulgi, I’m fine, it’s not like that,” Seungwan tries. 

Seulgi turns back around to Seungwan. “But your first ki–” 

Seungwan covers Seulgi’s mouth quickly in a panic. “Yah!” she exclaims in exasperation. “Calm down. Stop yelling so loudly, someone is going to hear.” 

Seulgi Seungwan’s palm and Seungwan squawks at the disgusting action. “A lot of people saw you two.” She keeps her gaze hard on Joohyun. “They said she kissed you in the library and you two–” Seulgi’s cheeks turn red as she dramatically laces her fingers together with wide eyes. “You know!” 

Seungwan blushes furiously at the insinuation, while Joohyun lets out a snort. 

“Yah, don’t laugh!” Seulgi admonishes Joohyun. “You can do whatever you want with your clients but you don’t get to play around with my best friend!” 

Seungwan gasps and pulls Seulgi even harder. “Seulgi, stop!” she demands. “Don’t say that! What’s wrong with you? How could you say that about Joohyun unnie?!” She lets go of Seulgi and goes to Joohyun as the woman starts to walk away. She grabs onto Joohyun’s hand before the woman can get far. 

Joohyun doesn’t look any different, maybe it’s the facade that she keeps, the one where she’s a bit cold and stern. Seungwan doesn’t like it now that she’s seen more of Joohyun smile and laugh. 

“I’m sorry for what she said,” Seungwan quickly apologizes for Seulgi. “Please don’t be upset. She has it wrong; let me talk to her and explain what’s going on.” 

“You act as if I haven’t heard worse,” Joohyun lightly jokes, but the smile on her lips doesn’t quite reach her eyes. “I have to go anyway. I have to get home.” She glances at Seulgi who stares after them with a stunned look on her face. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Seungwan.” She slips out of Seungwan’s grasp and turns to walk away. 

Seungwan feels her heart fall as she watches Joohyun walk away. The woman still holds her head up high and strides forward but Seungwan knows Seulgi's words have affected her. They were doing so well and Seulgi changed that with a few words. 

"How could you be like that?!" Seungwan demands angrily as she turns to her best friend. "How can you treat Joohyun unnie like that?!" 

Seulgi is flabbergasted at Seungwan's reaction. "I heard from people what she did to you!" She answers back defensively. "She–" Seulgi blushes. 

Seungwan blushes equally as bright. "She didn't kiss me," she admits quickly. "She might've given me a hickey but she didn't kiss me."

Seulgi's jaw drops, completely mortified. "What did she do you to then??"

"Nothing!"

"You can't expect me to believe that!"

"Well, you have to. Because we didn't. She just–" Seungwan grabs Seulgi's arm and tugs her to the parking lot. "We have to talk about this in private."

Seungwan ends up telling Seulgi everything.

 

Chanyeol threatening them.

"God that ing bastard. We have to take him down."

"Trust me I know. Joohyun unnie and I are going to figure it out."

 

What really happened in the library.

"Oh my god, I was so worried because you keep saying how special you want your first kiss to be."

"Oh my god, shut up. Don't ever tell Joohyun unnie I haven't kissed anyone yet. I'm already embarrassed as is."

 

What she and Joohyun decided.

"You're dating?! You're seriously dating?!"

"Yes…"

"Oh my god, tell me how it got to this point immediately. This isn't a fake relationship thing is it?"

Seungwan smiles to herself. "It's real, Seul." She feels giddy at the thought. "Joohyun unnie and I are going to date." A blush forms on her face. "She confessed." The smile on her face can't be wiped off as she shyly recounts Joohyun's words to Seulgi. 

When she’s done, she looks at Seulgi expectantly.

Seulgi has gone through a myriad of emotions. She’s gone through joy, anger, fury, relief, and glee, but most importantly doubt. As much as she wants Seungwan to be happy, she has to tread carefully. Most people think she’s a dumb airhead, but Seulgi knows Seungwan the best out of everyone. 

“Do you trust Joohyun-ssi?”

The question throws Seungwan. “What do you mean?” 

Seulgi bites her tongue. Just a little bit. She loves how happy Seungwan looks but she has her doubts. “You have to know that even if Joohyun says these things, she could still be working for Chanyeol.” Seungwan feels her heart fall and Seulgi knows what she’s done. “I’m sorry, Wannie, I just want to look out for you. You’re so smart that I don’t want you to get hurt.” 

Seungwan grabs Seulgi’s hand. “I know, Seul. Thank you for looking out for me. But Joohyun has so much to gain and yet, she’s come forward to me with the truth. I have to believe her. I want to believe her.”

Seulgi mulls it over in her head. She trusts Seungwan. She knows her best friend is smarter than her by far and that she trusts Seungwan’s instincts. Knowledge or feelings, Seulgi knows that Seungwan is her own person and can think clearly about things. If Seungwan trusts and believes in Joohyun, Seulgi has to do the same. 

“Fine,” Seulgi concedes with a dramatic sigh. “I’ll apologize to Joohyun-ssi, but as she’s dating my best friend, she needs to know the consequences if she hurts you.”

Seungwan giggles. She’s happy that Seulgi understands her and looks out for her. She’s happy that her best friend is hers. She couldn’t be more appreciative of someone than she is now. “You do realize, Joohyun unnie has totally stood up to the bullies in our school right? What makes you think that she’d be scared of you? You’re scared of her.” 

Seulgi blushes. “Well, she doesn’t know that.” 

 

 

Later that night when Seungwan gets home, she gives Joohyun a call. It takes her awhile to find the script of things she wants to say to Joohyun. She knows she has to apologize for Seulgi first and foremost. And she wants to make sure Joohyun knows Seulgi is harmless and that if anything she would like them all to be friends. She is disheartened when Joohyun doesn’t pick up, but after a few minutes she gets a call back. 

“Hello?” a voice that is far from Joohyun’s answers. It's definitely familiar to Seungwan though.

“Hello?” Seungwan makes sure that the number is Joohyun’s. “I’m sorry, is this Joohyun-ssi’s phone?” 

There’s a chuckle from the woman on the other line. “Jagiya! Someone is calling you!” 

Seungwan frowns at the affectionate nickname. Maybe it isn’t Joohyun’s phone, but it has to be. Joohyun has someone else calling her jagiya? 

“Who is jagiya? You must be crazy,” Joohyun yells with annoyance to the person on the phone. “Who is calling me?” 

“Caller ID says Seungwannie!” the woman yells with a singsong voice. Then Seungwan recognizes the voice, the girl from the town car.

Yah!” 

There’s an argument and rustling on the other side of the phone. A third loud laughter fills the receiver leaving Seungwan wondering what the hell is going on over there. 

After a few moments of what seems to be Joohyun wrestling the phone away, the howling laughter in the background dies down. Joohyun is huffing into the phone. 

“Seungwannie?” Joohyun tenderly says her name and it makes her heart flutter. 

Seungwan purses her lips and decides to tease the older woman. “Are you dating another woman while you’re dating me?” 

“No! No!” There’s distinct panic in Joohyun’s voice. “No way! My younger sister’s friend is over and she likes to play pranks because she’s the devil. I would never date her, how appalling. I wouldn’t do that to you Seungwan. I meant what I said about my feelings–those stupid kids–aish–” 

Seungwan giggles at the distress. Joohyun continues to grumble about her sister’s devilish friend. It warms her heart to hear Joohyun reaffirm her affections for her. It’s strange how quickly she’s come to enjoy hearing it from Joohyun even though she’s only said it today. 

“What did you say about your feelings?” Seungwan goads playfully. 

Joohyun huffs. “You’re going to make me repeat myself?” she mumbles shyly. 

Seungwan finds it amusing. For Joohyun who has literally gotten in the face of angry students and bullies, she’s got a cute side that Seungwan wants to see in real life. “It doesn’t hurt to hear it again,” she admits so that Joohyun doesn’t feel embarrassed. 

“Is that so?” Joohyun asks with a smile in her voice. “I like you, Son Seungwan.”

Simkung

“I like you too, Bae Joohyun.” Seungwan can’t help but smile as she says it. Nor can she contain the little squeal of excitement and quickly buries her face in her pillow. 

There’s a small chuckle from Joohyun as Seungwan keeps her face buried. After a quiet moment of letting Seungwan settle her fluttering heart, Joohyun says, “I’m glad.” Her voice is wistful and soft. It’s full of sincerity that reminds Seungwan of why she called in the first place. 

“Joohyun unnie,” Seungwan begins slowly. Joohyun responds with a soft hmm. “I’m sorry about what Seulgi said.” 

Joohyun sighs. “You don’t need to apologize for her. If I got hurt every time someone said something bad about me, I don’t think I’d make it this far.” 

Seungwan’s heart wrenches. Joohyun is a strong woman, she knows that. “It doesn’t mean that it wasn’t hurtful.” She frowns as she pulls her pillow onto her lap. “Seulgi isn’t usually so aggressive, but I think she got into protective bear mode.” 

“Protective bear mode?” 

“Mm hmm. They call her Bear Seulgi because she looks like a bear. And she’s soft but she can be pretty badass when it comes to the volleyball court.” 

“Ah, I see. She is like a little cub to me. I’m not scared of her.” Joohyun says coolly. 

“I bet.” Seungwan bites her lips. 

Joohyun clears . “So she must really like you.” Joohyun points out, “for defending you like that against me.” 

Seungwan’s interest is piqued at the conscious word choice before she realizes what Joohyun must mean. “Oh god, no! She’s my best friend and she’s my cousin. Good lord, no!” Seungwan gags at the thought. “Of course she takes care of me, we’re family.” 

“Oh,” Joohyun awkwardly laughs, “I suppose I sound foolish for saying it like that.” 

“Were you jealous?” 

“Yes.” 

“Oh.” Seungwan blushes at how Joohyun didn’t miss a beat. 

“I don’t like the thought of you sharing affections with someone else when we’re getting to know each other.” 

“What would you do?” 

“You don’t know how competitive I can get when I want something, Seungwannie,” Joohyun reveals with a seductive edge in her voice. It makes Seungwan shiver. Seungwan doesn’t realise that she hasn’t responded until Joohyun points it out. “Is that too much to say?”

“No,” Seungwan swallows. She fiddles with the edges of her pillow. “It makes me feel reassured to hear it.” 

“Good. I’m glad.” 

“Joohyun unnie?” Joohyun hums her response. “I feel the same about you. I don’t want you to share your affections with someone else.” 

“Is that so?” There’s a lilt in Joohyun’s question. Seungwan feels her cheeks burn. “Just so you know, there is no one else but you Seungwan.”