twelve

you're a reason

a/n: so i know it's been awhile since i've written for this and i think the hardest part about walking away from a story is losing the voice and just like the mindset i have for the story. ive been pounding away at it and there are areas that i dont really like or ive redrafted several times. honestly the story feels a bit murky to me but im hoping by posting this next part that i can get people's opinions MY LONG TIME READERS WHERE R U I NEED YOU AND YOUR THOUGHTS. this was one of my favorite stories to write and i just wanna finish it well and give the cuteness puppy love wenrene the ending they deserve so i just need some help with thoughts and such! 

really hoping this will get my gears going to just headlong towards the end of the story bc i know how its going to go, i just need a bit of motivation to finish writing it 

enough from me, i hope you enjoy it and definitely please share your thoughts! thank you!

rating M: again, mature themes, some swearing, nothing exceptionally crazy but def


 

The car ride is silent. And it isn’t something that Seulgi isn’t used to when being in a space with only Sooyoung. When they’d have to share space “to bond,” it would always be tense and angry and uncomfortable. Sooyoung would ignore her entirely, which was always a good day. But other days when Sooyoung was extra angry, she’d just stare at her, obviously thinking rudely, clicking her tongue, rolling her eyes, assessing her like she was a piece of . Seulgi would feel terrible after days like that. Over time, Seulgi learned to ignore it, quietly finishing her meal or diligently watching whatever seminar their parents wanted them to to enrich their business acumen or whatever sham of “free time” they should share together. 

The silence is bearable but the absolute change in the air sets Seulgi on edge. Sooyoung is very tense, physically. Seulgi can feel it by the way that Sooyoung’s hand still grips hers since they’ve gotten into the back of the car. Sooyoung doesn’t look at her, only staring out of the window with a look of consternation, but her hand keeps contact. Her hot hand is holding onto Seulgi’s tightly. Not so tightly that it hurts, but tight enough that Seulgi can’t move it. She can move it, she’s sure, but she doesn’t want to, wondering if Sooyoung will only hold onto her more tightly. 

Sooyoung is like a tigress at the moment, seething quietly with her prey under her grasp. Seulgi thinks if she fights now, it’ll only make it worse. 

 

The evening is settling in and the traffic is finally starting to die down as much as it could. It makes her nervous as they take a path off the main road. It doesn’t look like they’re going anywhere until they reach a near empty lot but she looks out and she can see the Incheon Bridge. The car lights shimmering under the setting sunlight and reflecting off the water that separates Seoul from Incheon. 

It’s quiet and empty. Save for one or two other cars, there’s no one else. 

“Miss Sooyoung?” Her driver breaks the silence when he parks. “We are here.” 

Sooyoung grunts in acknowledgement before clearing . “Right, you can step out for now.”

“Of course.” 

Seulgi opens to speak but she stops herself. The driver gets out of the car and moves to stand at the front. It’s silent and all Seulgi can hear are her anxious thoughts. 

“Kang Seulgi, I–” Sooyoung begins, finally tearing her gaze from outside of the vehicle. She presses her lips together and visibly swallows. Her jawline tightening ever so slightly. “The contract our parents made is set in stone. Neither of us are in a position to exit this contract, which means that our marriage is inevitable. Under these circumstances, we have to accept that we will be part of each other’s lives. You will be my wife, Kang Seulgi–”

“And what are you going to do?” Seulgi interrupts as she shifts back in her seat. 

Sooyoung’s cheek twitches at how scared Seulgi looks. Her words won’t mean much, but if there’s one thing that she knows about Seulgi is that she will listen to what she says. “It’s not what I do.” She chews on her words until she finds something suitable enough to say. “You are going to fulfil your duty as my future wife, Kang Seulgi.”

 

 

Joohyun is in the middle of class when she gets a phone call from her landlord. Upon seeing it, she doesn’t bother picking it up. She just shoves her phone into her jacket pocket and waits to deal with it after class.

“I’m sorry Tenant Bae, we just cannot wait. The property manager is coming down much harder on me if you don’t pay. Please tell me it will be possible otherwise they’re threatening to evict you. Please call me back as soon as possible and I will continue to check for your payment.”

Joohyun can only pinch the bridge of her nose. She loses her appetite over lunch and spends it transferring funds from one account to the next. The additional cost is at least a month of work, but Joohyun can’t afford to be evicted at the moment. It makes her heart boil that Chanyeol has the balls to actually pull off something like this. And how could his family give into this childish demand?

The pressure is mounting. Joohyun can feel it from the way the stress sits at the base of her neck. The only saving grace is that things are moving along. Right now, she and Yerim have a place to live; that is first and foremost important. Taeyeon is having someone investigate Chanyeol for them. Seungwan’s parents are fully aware of the situation. And Seungwan…Joohyun relaxes. Seungwan is okay. Seungwan is safe.

“Hey, how are you doing?” Seungwan asks after lunch. 

At the sound of her sweet voice, Joohyun is at ease. Seungwan being safe and sound puts her at ease. Even with Chanyeol looming in the background, Joohyun tries to ground herself with the reality that is in front of her. Seungwan is her girlfriend, a girl that she lo–cares for so much, and a good person that is still safe with Joohyun. 

“Better,” Joohyun unconsciously lets out as she admires Seungwan’s face.

The confused puppy look appears and Joohyun feels her heart melt. “How come better? Did something happen?” 

Joohyun brushes it off with a small smile at the corner of her lips. “I saw you. Seeing you makes my day better.”

Seungwan blushes and holds her books closely to her chest. She shyly pushes her glasses up the bridge of her nose. “Unnie…why’re you being like that?” 

Joohyun chuckles at Seungwan’s instant reaction. She adores how Seungwan reacts so easily to her. She doesn’t say anything and pleasantly walks beside Seungwan on the way to class. 

Except as they leave the building to go to the science building, Joohyun catches Chanyeol hanging with his posse. Joohyun switches sides on the walkway so that Seungwan is on the other side of her, further from the crowd and sees the glint in his eyes. Chanyeol furtively mouths to her and Joohyun feels her blood boil. 

Meet me behind the gym.

Joohyun ignores the text. They’re still in school and Seungwan would only worry if Joohyun abruptly leaves class at the behest of Chanyeol. It’s an easy decision anyway because Joohyun doesn’t want to entertain him. She’s still furious at him and it wouldn’t serve her well to approach him with fury. She reminds herself that she still has control over the situation. 

“Joohyun unnie, I forgot my lab book,” Seungwan sighs as she looks through her backpack. She scratches the back of her head disappointedly at herself. “I have to run to my locker, are you okay getting started without me?”

“Do you want me to get it?” Joohyun offers.

Seungwan lights up and she smiles brightly at Joohyun until her eyes disappear. “No, it’s okay! I shouldn’t have been forgetful. I’ll be back soon.” She slips out of her chair and hastily tells the teacher where she’s going before Joohyun watches her scurry off cutely.

Joohyun gets their lab material prepared and works on the worksheet the teacher gives them. She answers whatever she can before she realises that Seungwan has been gone for more than 10 minutes. The main building is a bit of a walk, but Seungwan is pretty quick on her feet when it comes to her studies.

Joohyun grabs her handphone but remembers Seungwan rarely ever carries her phone on her during the day. Other than Seulgi and Joohyun and possibly her parents, Seungwan doesn’t care much to text others or check her phone until she’s out of school. Except she sees another message from Chanyeol. 

It’s a picture of Seungwan at her locker.

The message that follows turns the blood in her veins into ice.

Nevermind, I’ll take care of it myself kekeke

Her heart drops into her stomach and the air is out of her lungs. Joohyun shoots up from her stool as the panic sets in. What does he mean? What is he going to do? Where is Seungwan?

Without thinking, Joohyun abandons her station and immediately rushes to the door. 

“Student Bae! Where are you going?!” The teacher scolds.

Joohyun slides the door open, body primed to dash as fast as she can with only Seungwan on her mind. She is immediately met with Seungwan letting out a startled yelp. “Seungwan!” Even though the panic has already settled in, Joohyun knows she's relieved to see her girlfriend before her. The thought of Chanyeol getting his hands on Seungwan infuriates and terrifies Joohyun. 

“Oof!” Seungwan sounds as Joohyun wraps her up in a big hug.

Joohyun holds Seungwan as tightly as she can. She can feel the warmth of Seungwan’s smaller body against hers. She's okay, she's there, she's in her arms. Seungwan fits perfectly in her arms and moulds flush against her body. There’s a breath of relief she can take as Seungwan unconsciously places her hands on her hips. 

She’s safe

“Unnie?” Seungwan’s muffled voice grounds her. “Is…everything okay?” Her genuine confusion only reassures her safety and Joohyun can breathe. 

“Yes, it is now,” Joohyun exhales as she pulls back to look at Seungwan. She holds onto Seungwan’s arm and caresses her head to look in her eyes. “You took too long, I got worried.” Seungwan tilts her head like a confused puppy. Joohyun’s heart fills with affection and further relief. 

“Student Bae, Student Son, what is the meaning of this?” the teacher scolds. “You should be working on your lab!” 

Seungwan immediately apologises. She profusely bows, while Joohyun doesn’t share any of the regrets. Seungwan quickly grabs Joohyun’s wrist and drags her back to their lab station to continue their work.

Joohyun is grateful that Seungwan lets whatever happened slide in lieu of their lab work. Her diligent, nerdy girlfriend deserves to focus on her schooling, instead of stressing out over petty nuisances. Or the petty nuisance named Park Chanyeol. Because as they work, Joohyun can’t help but feel the emotions inside of her seething to a boil. Whatever he was alluding to is a direct threat. And Joohyun is going to figure out how he wants to ruin Seungwan because if she doesn’t, Seungwan isn’t safe. 

Do I have your attention? 

Now be good and meet me.

Joohyun feels sick to see the address of a hotel bar not far from the school. She knows of it because all of the chaebol troublemakers like to go there to get drink service courtesy of an alumnus that had graduated almost a decade ago. Not only that but if you were rich enough, it didn’t matter what age you were or what you were up to. Which means that going there alone is almost foolish, but Joohyun has no other choice. 

If she has to keep up this facade of working for Chanyeol, she can’t bring Seungwan around. She refuses to endanger Seungwan for any reason. If it means she has to face Chanyeol alone, she will go willingly in order to protect Seungwan. 

Chanyeol is with a posse when Joohyun shows up. There are whispers at her appearance and snickers. Joohyun doesn’t pay any mind to them because they’re not her enemy at the moment. There’s a smirk of power he has on his face and he tells everyone to vacate the room for a minute.

“Why don’t you all give us some privacy? I don’t pay for free shows.” 

Joohyun clenches her fists, ready for Chanyeol to say something else. But she remains patient as his posse of girls and boys leave the room.

With a click of the door behind her, they’re alone, which means that even if he tries anything, she still has a chance to defend herself.

“How long have I been paying for you now?” Chanyeol asks as he pours some cognac into his glass. “Three months?” Joohyun lets him talk, knowing that interjecting will only anger him and distract him from revealing himself. “She must really like you based on all the pictures I’ve seen, which means that you’re doing a good job. And that’s what this is, noona, a job. I want you to remember that at the end of the day you work for me and what I say goes.”

“And what is that?” 

Chanyeol smiles. It’s the right thing to say for Joohyun to seem like she is obedient to his will. “For all those smart classes you take, you are really dense noona. I thought I made myself clear too but I suppose it begs to be said.” He stands up from the leather couch with his glass of cognac and walks over. “It’s cute that you think saying that you’re dating is enough, holding hands in secret and kissing is enough. That’s going to do nothing to Son Seungwan. Those are things that girls just do.” He stands before her, encroaching on her personal space, but keeping arms length. His breath reeks of alcohol. “To put simply, I want you to have with Son Seungwan.” 

“What?” 

“Eo! Have with Son Seungwan,” he emphatically epeats with a nasty look on his face. “I want you to get her to have with you and I want you to tell me when and where.” 

Joohyun feels every nerve inside of her body go off. She clenches her fists until her knuckles are white and she tenses her core ready to strike. “What the are you saying?” 

Chanyeol clicks his tongue. “I told you, noona,” he shakes his head with disappointment. “I want to ruin Son Seungwan. You think being in a relationship is enough? She’ll get a slap on the wrist and be scolded to be more subtle with how rich her family is. She needs to be exposed. I want her to be embarrassed, ashamed, and ruined for being disgusting as she is. I want her to lose everything she has.”

“Are you crazy?” Joohyun contains the roiling anger inside of her.

“You think I’m crazy?” He sneers at her and steps even closer that she can almost taste the alcohol wafting from his breath. “You don’t know what the you’re talking about. You don’t know what she’s done to me or my family; how she has made us suffer these years because she decided to be a ing lesbian. She ruined our lives and she is only getting what she deserves in return.” 

Joohyun clenches her jaw. “Get over it.” 

Chanyeol’s eyes go wide. “What?” 

“Get over it.” Joohyun repeats herself even louder than before. “You want me to ruin an innocent girl’s life because you couldn’t stand getting rejected? And now you also blame what’s happened to your life on her? Don’t be a loser, Chanyeol. Get. Over. It.”  

Chanyeol turns red. His eyes change as the fury sets in. “Yah!” He doesn’t hesitate to grab Joohyun by the collar and slam her against the door. He raises the glass in his hand and Joohyun’s eyes widen as it comes in her direction. She quickly tilts her head out of the way as he slams the glass of liquor beside her head, raining shards and alcohol into her hair and uniform. 

He stumbles as he fights against her counterweight until he stands her upright. His hand pushes at her neck and closes around her windpipe. 

In most situations, Joohyun wouldn’t hesitate to fight back but something has snapped suddenly inside of Chanyeol that she was caught off guard. The fury in his eyes matches the strength he has on her at the moment. The anger and darkness that he exudes is unmistakable. He is out for blood. 

Joohyun tries to keep conscious, not fighting too hard to make him grip harder. She grabs his wrist and thinks of where her body is free to defend herself. 

“You work for me Bae Joohyun,” he growls at her as he keeps his eyes on hers. “I have paid you and I expect you to do your job in kind.” He leans in until she can see the whites of his eyes. “Don’t forget your place. You’re a paid worker, a . You work for me and what I say goes or else.” 

“Or else what?” Joohyun growls back. No one is allowed to threaten her. No one can threaten her. 

“You think I don’t know how to hurt you?” The madness in his eyes grows as an evil smile forms at the corner of his lips. “Don’t think I forgot about your sister.”

It’s Joohyun’s turn. The anger boils over inside of her. The grip she has on his wrist finds its way to the pressure point at the base of his hand and she hooks her finger to pull his hand back. 

“Are you crazy?!” he screeches in pain as he rears back under her relentless grip. Joohyun kicks him in the shin and suddenly he’s on his knees. “You !” And suddenly his ear is ringing because Joohyun slaps him right in the ear. He feels like he’s been flipped upside down with how hard Joohyun hits him.

Joohyun seizes him by the collar. “I’m done with you Chanyeol. I’m not going to be your pawn to ruin Son Seungwan.” 

Chanyeol spits in her face. “What makes you think that, you ?!” 

Joohyun curses as she wipes her face of his nasty spit. She grips his hand even harder and pushes back, eliciting a pathetic whimper. “Because you threatened my sister. I don’t take too lightly to those that threaten my sister. If you ever do that again, if you ever come near me or her, I will destroy you in ways you can’t even imagine.”

Despite his pain, Chanyeol is still furious. He grits his teeth and hisses, “I will ruin you, Bae Joohyun. I will ruin you, your sister, Son Seungwan, everything if you don’t do what I tell you.” 

Joohyun scoffs as she pushes him by his collar and hand onto his with all her strength. “I’ll tell you now, Park Chanyeol, if you come for me, I won’t hold back. I’m not some scared little girl you can control. You messed with the wrong .” She stands over him with her strong back, fists at her sides. “Consider this your only warning.” 

Joohyun doesn’t look back at him as he curses at her. She only grabs her fist to stop the sudden tremors as she leaves the room.

 

Joohyun has to stop somewhere to calm herself down after meeting with Chanyeol. While Seungwan had been insistent on going with her just as back up, Joohyun couldn’t risk letting Chanyeol know that Seungwan was aware of his plans for her. She was right to do so Because knowing how sinister and vile his plans for Seungwan are, Joohyun feels even less inclined to mention anything at all to Seungwan. 

Seungwan doesn’t need to think about how Chanyeol wants to ruin her. Joohyun can’t stand the thought of Seungwan feeling violated by his plans for her. 

ring, ring, ring

Joohyun picks up her phone to see who is calling and her heart tightens when she sees Seungwan’s picture on the screen. She isn’t ready to face the younger girl. How can she after discovering Chanyeol’s motives? She doesn’t have a plan yet. 

But as she looks at the picture of Seungwan’s face, her beautiful, bright, innocent face. She’s the girl Joohyun likes so much, that she wants to protect and take care of, that she could fall in love with forever. 

Joohyun answers. “Hello?” 

“Joohyun unnie, where are you? Are you okay?” Seungwan quickly asks with nothing but worry. Worrying over her is the last thing that Joohyun wants. 

“I’m okay, I’m on my way back to you,” Joohyun answers with utmost promise. Even if she feels the tightness in her heart, the anxiety gripping it tightly, she pushes through it. She has to. “Did something happen? Are you okay? 

“I was just worried, you said the conversation wouldn’t take long and now it’s been…a little bit.” Seungwan hesitates and it’s very obvious. It makes Joohyun feel bad. “H-how did it go? What did he want?”

“It was fine, he is being his usual entitled prick self,” Joohyun bites. The thought of Chanyeol makes her burn inside. She really hates how his existence sets a fire inside of her now. The burning hatred and frustration isn’t something she wants to feel. He’s gotten under her skin and she’s trying to maintain control. 

“Do you mind…coming now? Taeyeon unnie is here and uhm…the investigator is here too. She wants to talk to us at the same time.”

“Taeyeon unnie found you?” Joohyun asks in confusion. 

“Well, the investigator found me and brought Taeyeon unnie along.” 

“I’ll be there in a few minutes.”