ten

you're a reason

a/n: back by unpopular demand ie me bc im almost done my application for school (we shall see how long the next steps of the application process keep me away but hopefully not) anyway this chapter is a bit heavy on more dynamics but the joygi side gets some background and starts to inch forward 


“God, she’s crazy!” Sooyoung screeches in the back seat of her town car as they leave the SM High School grounds. “Who runs away from someone that clearly just wants to talk?” 

Her driver, Sungjae, chuckles. “Maybe she doesn’t want to talk to you?” He offers good naturedly. 

Sooyoung glares at him.

“Also you’re scary for chasing her,” Yerim adds with a giggle.

Sooyoung darts her eyes to her best friend, offended. “I was not scary! I was just standing there.” 

“Well people don’t just run away for fun. Joohyun unnie said you made her cry. So it’s right for her to run away from you. She’s probably scared you’ll make her cry again.” 

Sooyoung crosses her arms and pouts. “I’m not going to.” 

“It’s not good to make your betrothed cry,” Sungjae points out with concern, “President Park won’t like that.” 

“Don’t tell her then,” Sooyoung instructs, like it’s the most obvious option. “I don’t want to deal with my mother scolding me for no reason. I’m going to apologize to Kang Seulgi and I’ll clear things up.” 

Wow,” Yerim slow claps. “Park Sooyoung is really going to apologize to someone.” She wipes an imaginary tear. “I’m so proud of you.” 

Sooyoung clicks her tongue and shoves Yerim. “Shut up. You’re no help.” 

Yerim just laughs and sticks her tongue out at the older girl. “Honestly, it’s fun to watch you suffer.”

Sooyoung raises her fist threateningly and Yerim does the same in return. 

“Miss Park, if I may,” Sungjae interrupts with a gentle smile in the rearview mirror. The two young girls look to the driver. “You’ve met with her a few times now. Surely you’ve gotten to know her a bit. I think a gift is an appropriate way to apologize.” 

Sooyoung chews on the inside of her cheek. The sheepish look on her face is indicative of how impossible that is. “You see…we don’t talk when we meet.” 

Yerim narrows her eyes suspiciously at the older girl. “What do you do then?” 

“Ignore her and pray that dinner goes faster?” Sooyoung manages to answer. There’s abundant shame in her voice. Yerim shakes her head with a disappointed sigh because she knows Sooyoung is putting it lightly. “Listen, ignoring her is better than what I’ve done up until now.” 

The disappointment doesn't go away and Sooyoung feels a modicum of regret as Yerim looks at her unnie shaking her head. “You’re a real jerk, unnie,” Yerim deadpans. “You know what we have to do now?” 

Sooyoung looks at her quizzically. 

“We need Joohyun unnie’s help.” 

 

“Unnie you look happy today,” Yerim says after dinner when they’re cleaning up. 

“Do I?” Joohyun responds coyly to her sister. There’s a smirk on her face as she washes the dishes. 

Yerim hums suspiciously as she rounds on her sister. “Did something happen?” 

Joohyun shrugs nonchalantly. As much as she tries to play it cool, she can’t help but smile. It hasn’t been a bad day as she thought earlier. It was a rough start to a nice finish. She got to kiss Seungwan goodnight and she gets to come home to have dinner with her sister. Maybe tonight is the night she gets sleep. Tomorrow’s problems can be tomorrow’s problem.

“Tell me,” Yerim pokes at Joohyun’s side. 

The unexpected jab causes Joohyun to hiss in pain because of how sensitive she is. She drops the glass into the sink and listens as it shatters. 

Yerim yelps with Joohyun and immediately comes to her aid. “Unnie, are you okay?!” 

Joohyun breathes through the brief spark of pain and nods. “Yeah, just a small bump earlier,” she says as she stretches her sides a bit to ease the soreness. She starts to clean up the shattered glass in the sink. 

Yerim frowns and experimentally pokes at her sister’s side again. This time much gentler than before but Joohyun jumps and whips to the girl in shock. “I’m sorry, but that doesn’t make it seem like you’re okay…” 

Joohyun sighs and shakes her head. “Let me finish cleaning up and can you help me?” 

Yerim’s eyes brighten and she nods. 

Yerim is quiet when they go to Joohyun’s room and Joohyun lifts her shirt for Yerim to help get the salve on her back. 

“Unnie…” Yerim worriedly breathes. She’s too scared to even touch the giant bruise. The blood underneath is clearly starting to clot with it's angry reds and blues.

“It’s okay, it just looks bad,” Joohyun reassures with a small smile. “It was a car door, not the entire car. I didn’t have my leather jacket to soften the blow.” 

Yerim sighs, knowing her sister won’t listen to her. “You’re sure? Should we call Tiffany unnie?” 

Joohyun nods. “I’ll be sore for a few days, that's all.” 

Yerim is skeptical but she heeds her sister’s words. Joohyun has never been one to get sick or hurt, always careful so that she can work and take care of Yerim. Her judgement on health is better than Yerim’s because she works for the hospital. Yerim trusts her. 

“Be careful, okay?” Yerim urges as she applies the salve gingerly. Joohyun flinches at the cool salve but eases into Yerim’s touch. “Mom may not be around to scold you, but I’ve learned a thing or two.” 

Joohyun chuckles. “I got it, Yerim. I’ll be careful.” 

Yerim has downcast eyes full of worry. Joohyun can see by the look on her sister’s face that she has more to say. 

“What are you thinking of?” Joohyun inquires playfully, trying to lighten the mood. 

“I don’t want to bother you,” Yerim nervously starts, “especially when you should rest.” She refers to the bruise on her side. 

“What is it? Is something wrong?”

“It’s just silly. Sooyoung unnie just needs some help apologizing to Seulgi-ssi and she’s a bit clueless.”

Joohyun raises an eyebrow at her sister. “How can I help?” 

“We were hoping we could meet your girlfriend because she’s close to Seulgi-ssi.” 

“Oh?” Joohyun’s cheeks warm at mention of her girlfriend. “I-I’ll have to ask.” 

Yerim catches the little stammer and stares at her sister as if she’s grown an extra head. “Are you blushing?” 

Joohyun looks away. “No. Why would I blush?” She can’t help but smile though. “I’ll talk to my girlfriend and see what she says.” 

Yerim narrows her eyes at Joohyun before she wrinkles her nose in disgust. “Ack.” She pushes at Joohyun’s shoulder. “I’ve never seen you like this. Put that face away.” 

“What do you mean?” Joohyun shoots back offended. “I can’t just put my face away. What face are you even talking about?”

“The ‘I’m smitten by my girlfriend’ face,” Yerim throws back quickly. She points at Joohyun’s face. “We get it, you bagged a cute chaebol.” 

“Yah, watch it, don’t say it like that,” Joohyun instantly scolds. “I didn’t intend to bag her.” There’s a smile that tugs the corner of her lips. “My girlfriend just happens to be a chaebol.” 

Yerrim pretends to retch and stands up. “I can’t deal with you. I’m leaving now. Please just text us when we can meet your girlfriend.” 

Joohyun just smiles. Girlfriend. She’s surprised at herself for how easy it is to call Seungwan her girlfriend. 

 

Joohyun [22:08]: hey coward

Joohyun [22:09]: do you really want to meet Seungwan?

Sooyoung [20:10]: >:( 

Sooyoung [20:10]: no

Sooyoung [20:11]: but I have to bc Seulgi won’t talk to me

Joohyun [20:12]: you shouldn’t have acted like a jerk to her

Joohyun [20:12]: or to Seungwan. I did not like that.

Sooyoung [20:12]: >:( are you going to help me? Or just keep insulting me?

Joohyun [20:12]: both

Joohyun [20:15]: Seungwan likes those Pocket Monster breads. Please bring some tomorrow.

Sooyoung [20:17]: what is she? 6?

Joohyun [20:18]: says the girl that can’t sleep without a nightlight

Sooyoung [20:19]: ….Fine. But I’m keeping the sticker. 

Joohyun [20:20]: I don’t know what that means, but finish your homework and go to sleep.

Sooyoung [20:21]: okaaay eomma, I’ll see you tomorrow

Joohyun [20:22]: I’d never have a daughter like you

 

Seungwan comes down to the kitchen to have breakfast as usual when she notices that the maids have started to move dishes elsewhere.

“Chairwoman Son said breakfast will be in the dining room today,” the head maid says with a bright smile on her face.

Seungwan furrows her brows because she’s not used to eating in the dining room when it’s just her. She follows the maids to find her parents already awake and dressed for work. Her mother has her hair down today with her maroon skirt blazer combo while her father is dressed in his white button up and matching tie. 

Jihyo thanks the maids as they lay out the breakfast spread. She sees Seungwan at the corner of her eyes. “Good morning dear.” 

“What’re you doing here?” Seungwan blurts out. 

“Is that any way to speak to your mother?” Jongkook chides even with the amused smile on his face. 

Seungwan purses her lips as she takes her seat across from her father. “I wasn’t expecting you to be here.” 

Jihyo just chuckles. “Why? Did you want to sneak your Joohyun unnie out?”

Seungwan’s eyes widen and she blushes instantly. “No! What’re you saying? She didn’t stay over last night!” 

Jongkook chuckles as he pulls some kimchi green onions onto his dish. “Our Seungwannie learns from her first mistakes, yeobo. She wouldn’t let us catch Joohyun twice.” 

“That’s not what I’m saying!” Seungwan protests loudly. “She had to go home to her sister!” 

Jihyo just smiles cheekily at her daughter. “Okay, okay. I understand.” She takes a sip of her coffee. “If she didn’t have to go home, she’d have stayed.” 

“Eomma!” Seungwan is shocked at how her parents are teasing her. She doesn’t know if this is better or worse than if they didn’t like Joohyun. 

Jihyo only chuckles and looks at her maid, who looks just as amused but probably happy because the lady of the house is there. “Where is Seunghee?” 

“Young miss arrived home late last night, so she is hard to rouse,” the maid informs her. 

Aaaaah, I’m here I’m here,” Seunghee complains as she walks into the dining parlor. She literally has just woken up, with hair messy and pajamas askew. She’s far from ladylike and she doesn’t care at this hour in the comfort of her home. “Why are we having breakfast together today? Is there a special occasion?” 

“Eomma just arrived yesterday, we should have breakfast together,” Jongkook says with a smile on his face. He looks at his wife. “It’s been awhile.” 

Seungwan cringes at how Jihyo smiles back at him. Okay maybe she gets it, they are in love

“Ew, stop that, it’s too early,” Seunghee grumbles as she drinks her coffee. “I already have to deal with you two at work, now at home like this?” 

“Don’t be rude, Seunghee,” Jongkook says flatly.

Seunghee just bobs her head carelessly, sparing the words by miming her father's words with attitude. It makes Jihyo smile behind her cup while Jongkook frowns because he can't win an argument against Seunghee. 

“Honestly, I thought we were celebrating the fact that Wannie Pooh has a girlfriend,” Seunghee slyly says as she looks at her younger sister. She wiggles her eyebrows annoyingly.

Seungwan drops her utensils against the plates with a clatter. “Oh my god, why are we doing this right now?” she begs. 

Seunghee laughs as she reaches over and pats her sister on the head. “Because it’s so cute to get reactions out of you,” she teases as she holds onto her head and roughly moves it to her will. 

Seungwan whines and pushes Seunghee’s hand off of her head. “You’re the worst!” 

“Are you kidding me? Appa is the worst,” Seunghee throws back. “I wish he didn’t text me when I was knee deep in paperwork or I would’ve come back and given you all the dating advice you need.” 

Seungwan turns red. “I don’t need dating advice!” she protests loudly. 

“Why would you tell her to go to Seunghee?” Jihyo asks her husband. “She can always come to us.” She cheekily smiles at Seungwan. “Your father and I know how to date.” 

Seungwan isn’t even hungry anymore. She used to feel bad about eating alone at home all of the time, but this is not what she wants either. She huffs and pushes away from the table. “I’m not going to do this. I can’t. I’m going to my room and getting ready for school. I hate you all. Goodbye!” She practically runs away leaving the rest of her family giggling to each other. 

 

Seunghee doesn’t let it drop though. Her older sister is annoying and persistent. Seungwan doesn’t understand why she feels the need to be so involved. 

“I want to know who my baby sister is dating,” Seunghee says as she drives Seungwan to school. This time she chooses a sleek black sports car, but honestly it revs extremely loudly all the same with its massive horsepower. “I want to know why eomma and appa approve of her already. Is she that charming of a person?”

Seungwan smiles shyly. “Of course, Joohyun unnie is charming. Just in her own way.” 

Seunghee smiles when she catches the warm look on Seungwan’s face. “Cute.” 

 

Seungwan waits with anticipation as she gets to school because again Seunghee brings her at the last possible second so that Seungwan just makes it on time instead of getting there early so Seungwan can study. 

Joohyun usually gets to school relatively early on some days, but otherwise she’s pretty much on time. Today, Seungwan just wants Joohyun not to rush after hearing about her slight accident yesterday. 

“Seungwannie, why’d you want me to meet you here?” Joohyun approaches her from the parking lot. 

Seungwan sighs as she glances at the car behind her. 

Seunghee has annoying timing or maybe the best timing as she comes out of the expensive sports car, in a deep red suit and sunglasses, long brown hair sweeping. She shuts the door with unnecessary elegance and struts around the car with her head held high with arrogance. Seungwan covers her face in embarrassment.

"Bae Joohyun-ssi," she greets with a smirk on her perfectly painted lips. She holds her hand out for Joohyun to shake. "Son Seunghee." 

Joohyun furrows her brow for just a second because of the aura of the woman before her. Seunghee has an unexpected personality because from what Seungwan says about her sister, she's a bit of a hot mess. "Nice to meet you," Joohyun is delayed in shaking her hand.

Seunghee smiles triumphantly and squeezes Joohyun's hand tightly. She tugs the woman forward expecting her to falter but Joohyun doesn't budge to her surprise, only sending her arm forward for Seunghee to grab. This catches Seunghee off guard. Her brows furrow in confusion because her plans have quickly derailed. 

Joohyun sees this and can’t contain the smirk on her lips. She catches onto what Seunghee is trying to do, so she doesn’t let go of Seunghee’s firm grasp. 

Seunghee on the other hand switches gears quickly, stepping towards Joohyun instead. She has height and heels to her advantage where she towers over Joohyun by several centimeters. She looks Joohyun up and down with a critical gaze. “I’m sure you know who I am.”

Joohyun bites the inside of her cheek to stop from laughing. After being threatened by Son Jihyo and Son Jongkook, Son Seunghee is no match. “Nope, sorry,” Joohyun sarcastically says. She hears a small confused squeak from Seungwan next to her. 

Seunghee instantly narrows her eyes. “Is that any way to talk to your girlfriend’s older sister?”  

Joohyun smiles. “I talk to people in a manner they deserve.” 

“You–” Seunghee’s eyes widen in shock. She lets go of Joohyun’s hand in lieu for grabbing her collar with both hands. 

“Unnie!” Seungwan yells. 

Joohyun has to admit that she is surprised by Seunghee’s strength, but she isn’t bothered since she isn’t lifted off the ground like a ragdoll. She can’t help but smile. 

“You’re sassing me? Do you know what I’ll do to you if you hurt my sister?” Seunghee threatens as she shakes Joohyun. 

Joohyun just chuckles as she lets herself be shaken back and forth. “I know, I know,” she lazily says. With little effort, she presses into Seunghee’s hand to peel it off her blazer. Seunghee is surprised at Joohyun’s strength. “I get it now. The Son Family can destroy me.” 

“Yah! You’re just so casual with us now after a day?” Seunghee scolds. Her face gets red with annoyance. 

Joohyun fixes her blazer. “If hurting Seungwan is your main concern, I think it goes without saying at this point that I won’t.” She smiles at Seungwan warmly for her not to worry. Seungwan isn’t worried though, her heart is too busy fluttering at how cool Joohyun is. Even Seunghee pauses in surprise because Joohyun isn’t casual, she’s frank and honest. 

“I don’t believe that,” Seunghee sighs with exasperation. “It happens in a relationship, Bae Joohyun-ssi, hurting each other. It happens and you’d be foolish to say you won’t. You don’t know what could happen in the future; you don’t know what you’ll have to do for yourself. Intentional or not, it’ll happen.” 

“Unnie, why’re you being like this?” Seungwan frowns in dismay. “I thought you were okay with us.” 

“I’m telling you both the truth.” Seunghee looks at Joohyun carefully. “You may not think you’ll hurt Seungwan, but you will. It’s the consequence of being in a relationship because there are two different people that have two different minds and motives. Disagreements, arguments, fights happen all the time, but there are a lot worse things that can happen.” 

Joohyun clenches her jaw. 

“Our family can destroy you, but I will personally ruin you if you do something unforgivable to my baby sister.”

Seungwan jumps forward and tackles her sister. She’s not that big so she uses her entire body and she stumbles as Seunghee falls against her car. “Stop it,” she scolds with pout. But she stands her ground strongly and she remains composed as she speaks. “You’re being mean. You don’t know Joohyun unnie and you don’t know our relationship. When Joohyun unnie says she won’t hurt me, I believe her because she’s the kindest person I’ve met. If she can hurt me, then I can hurt her, but there’s no reason for that. There’s no rational explanation for us to hurt each other so egregiously that we won’t be able to overcome it.” 

Seunghee looks surprised at her younger sister.  

“Can you just go to work?” Seungwan sighs with annoyance. “Joohyun unnie and I need to go to class.” Without waiting for her sister’s response, she takes Joohyun by the wrist and drags her towards the building. 

“What was that for?” Joohyun asks, reeling with surprise. “I had that.” 

Seungwan huffs. “I’m tired of my family threatening you.”

“You know that’s a normal thing that families do for each other.” 

“I don’t care. You’re my girlfriend. I’m not going to let them do that to you.”

“Ooooh. Aren’t you cool, Son Seungwan?” Joohyun teases. 

Seungwan blushes but forges forward. “Shut up, I’m doing what you would do.” 

Joohyun flips her wrist out of Seungwan’s grasp and grabs her wrist instead before tugging her into the stairwell. She presses Seungwan against the door and hears her little surprised yelp as she presses her hand into the door near Seungwan’s head. “So you’re not scared that I’ll hurt you?” 

Seungwan stares at Joohyun with a firm look. “Of course, I am,” she honestly admits with little hesitation. “But I’m also scared I’ll hurt you. Don’t you feel that way?”

Joohyun gazes at Seungwan. “I do.” She swallows thickly. “I am scared.” 

“Then we’re on the same page,” Seungwan reasons as she reaches for the lapels of Joohyun’s blazer to anchor herself. “I don’t intend to hurt you, but if I do, promise me you’ll tell me. You’ll let me know how I can do better.” 

Joohyun takes Seungwan’s hand with her free hand and presses it flat against her heart. “Promise me too, Seungwan. I always want us to work on this relationship together.” 

Seungwan nods confidently and Joohyun leans in to kiss her forehead. Seungwan leans into the kiss and wraps her arms around Joohyun’s waist to hold her. 

“If we weren’t here, I’d do more than kiss your forehead,” Joohyun whispers hotly between them. 

Seungwan warms at the implication and gently slaps Joohyun’s back. “Shut up.” 

 

Seungwan is rarely ever nervous to see her best friend, but today is the day since Joohyun asked her if she was free to meet Yerim and Sooyoung. Seungwan is nervous enough to meet Yerim for real now, but she’s slightly comfortable because Yerim at least acknowledges her existence. Park Sooyoung is another story because she didn’t have anything nice to say to Seungwan and she was definitely mean to Seulgi. 

While she expresses her hesitance to meet Sooyoung, Joohyun assures her that Sooyoung won’t be unruly in her presence. And on top of that, the younger girl seems to genuinely want to talk. 

“Seulgi, can I talk to you?” Seungwan says when she catches Seulgi in between classes. 

Seulgi is eating a banh mi when Seungwan sees her. She smiles around the bun with a smile on her face. “Of course,” she mumbles around the bite. She chews off a piece before asking with full. “Why do you look so serious?” 

Seungwan smiles gently at her adorable friend and hooks her arm around Seulgi’s as they leave the building to go to another building. “I just wanted to let you know that Joohyun unnie wants me to meet Yerim, her little sister.” 

Seulgi’s eyes go wide. “Really?” A crumb escapes . “I didn’t know she had a sister. It sounds pretty serious since no one knows about sunbae’s family.” She gently ribs Seungwan. “Some pretty big steps in your relationship.” 

Seungwan sheepishly nods, not wanting to delay it anymore. “Uh…mm…I’m also meeting Park Sooyoung.” 

Seulgi tenses beside her; her step falters ever so slightly. She doesn’t say anything right away, only biting into her sandwich. “Is that so?” Her chewing is slow and she suddenly finds her bite mark in her sandwich interesting. “Is that a good idea?” 

Seungwan hates how the sheer mention of Sooyoung’s name has an effect on Seulgi. “She said she wants to talk.” Seulgi silently nods and chews her sandwich. “I don’t have to meet her…if you don’t want me to. I know that you two aren’t on the best of terms.” 

There’s a wry smile on Seulgi’s face. “I think if Joohyun unnie wants you to meet her, she must be important.” She continues to eat her sandwich quietly and doesn’t say much else as they walk to class together. 

 

It comes as a surprise that Seulgi meets Seungwan at her locker with a serious expression at the end of the day. 

"I'm coming with you."

Seungwan is confused. 

"I'll come with you and Joohyun sunbae."

"Seul–"

"I know that Joohyun sunbae can protect you from anything but you don't know Park Sooyoung like I do."

"What does that mean?" Seungwan feels worried, not for herself but for Seulgi. "What has she done?"

Seulgi doesn't answer and reaches for Seungwan's hand. "Come on," she ignores the question all together and leads Seungwan outside. 

 

Three Years Ago

Seulgi thinks she's dreaming. But she can feel the way her heart tears at the seams that she probably isn't dreaming. What she hopes is that her father says it all a joke and he's kidding like he usually does. 

Kang Hodong doesn't joke at this moment. He stares at her with scary severity. His back straight, hands curled at his knees, his aura is commanding. 

"Do you understand, Seulgi?" He questions like a demand.

"Appa…this isn't funny."

Hodong's lips thin. It scares Seulgi because her father has always smiled so brightly and jokingly with her. "This isn't a joke. You are getting married to Park Sooyoung II of Park Conglomerate."

Seulgi laughs in disbelief. "No, appa, I'm not getting married. Why would I get married to her?"

"There's no room for negotiation, Seulgi. It's been decided that when you both finish college, you'll be legally married." 

Everything her father says thereafter is nothing but cacophony. She catches words like, family, reputation, duty, debt. All of which she knows she’s responsible for as the eldest child. She understands that but she can feel her heart break because her future, her life, her happiness, all slip away from her grasp. 

 

Her first instinct is to plead and beg for another option. She refuses to just give up without trying. 

“Eomma, please, why can’t we talk to Jihyo-imo? She can fix this, she can help us.” 

Seulgi’s mother, Somin, stares at her with sad eyes. How can she be sad when she’s letting father do this to her? “We can’t, Seulgi-ah. Your father–” she sighs despondently, tears filling her eyes, “Jihyo unnie won’t–-she tried. Jihyo unnie and Jongkook oppa warned your father but he didn’t listen. So we have to pay the consequences.” 

“How is that possible? How could they do that? I don’t believe it!” Seulgi pleas. 

“We made a mistake, my princess,” Somin comforts as best as she can. “Your father had to figure something out. This option was our best option.” 

“But they’re our family! They wouldn’t just turn their backs on us!” 

Somin wraps Seulgi up in a tight hug. Seulgi feels her heart break as her mother also stifles cries against her. “I’m sorry, Seulgi. We tried to avoid this, but mistakes were made. Consequences need to be paid. If Jihyo and Jongkook find out, I don’t know what they’d do.” 

“I can’t accept this, eomma,” Seulgi sobs in her mother’s arms. “I can’t–I won’t get married to Park Sooyoung. This is my life. Please–” 

Somin her daughter’s hair and holds her tightly. “I’m sorry, my princess. I’m so sorry.” 

 

And Seulgi tries her last option. Park Sooyoung herself. 

Dinner is a tense affair. It’s the first time they’re eating a meal together where Seulgi and Sooyoung are officially considered fiancees. Whatever the Parks helped with her family, things have been better. Her father is more lively, more enthusiastic, but he’s also pandering and entertaining to the Parks. Seulgi can’t believe this man is her father. 

President Park makes good conversation with her father while her mother speaks amicably to Dr. Park. There’s a brief moment where Sooyoung’s mother mentions they both play volleyball, but the younger girl is completely disinterested and refuses to look at Seulgi. 

Seulgi feels her hope slip away with Sooyoung’s behavior, but she doesn’t give up. She tries to be polite and engage in conversation. If she could just get her foot in the door, then maybe they can talk about how they can get out of this situation. They should work together to change their parents’ minds. 

Sooyoung is a brick wall. She refuses to converse with Seulgi. She stares at her with fury in her eyes and sneers at her when she even so much as tries to find common ground. 

Seulgi is at her wits end when she follows Sooyoung into the bathroom. 

“Sooyoung-ssi, we should talk,” Seulgi begins when Sooyoung comes out of the bathroom stall. 

Sooyoung raises an eyebrow and rolls her eyes. She ignores Seulgi to wash her hands. 

“I think that we should try–” 

Sooyoung snaps her head to Seulgi. “I don’t want to try anything with you.”

“Please just listen to me.” Seulgi forges on. “We can do something–” 

“Do what?” Sooyoung scoffs as she shakes her hands violently of water. She rips a paper towel from the dispenser. “You don’t have to up to me too. Your father is doing disgustingly well on his own.” 

Seulgi falters at the venom in Sooyoung’s voice. She hasn’t said anything all night and with how hurt she’s looked all night, Seulgi thought they maybe they could sympathise with each other. That they could help each other. 

“What else do you want from my family? What do you want from me?” Sooyoung hisses as she moves into Seulgi’s space. “More money? More stuff?” Seulgi is speechless as Sooyoung towers over her almost threateningly. “My family can give you whatever you want, but there’s clearly a price. You should know that we will take whatever we are owed.” She tilts her nose up arrogantly. “And I will take interest from you, Kang Seulgi, because you’re mine. So go ahead, ask me for whatever you want. I’ll take what I want and more.”

Seulgi trembles in fear. She can feel her whole body vibrate, telling her to run away, but instead she remains rooted by fear. There’s nothing but anger and hatred from Sooyoung. There is no reasoning nor understanding. 

For Seulgi, her fate is sealed. Her last hope to free herself of this contract ends with Sooyoung’s threat. 

 

The Seulgi that Sooyoung has come to know is a polite, pretty, bubbly young woman. When their families have monthly dinners to catch up on progress and bring the two girls together to get to know each other, Seulgi is always kind and cheerful. She easily answers her mother’s inquiries and checks in on her parents health and wellness. But there’s an edge to Seulgi; she knows to keep away from Sooyoung, she doesn’t straight at her, she doesn’t speak directly to her, nor does she breathe in her direction. 

Sooyoung has always felt power over the older girl because Seulgi knows her place. The kind and polite act must only an act to save face. Or maybe even an ulterior motive.

 

One Year Ago

It’s Sooyoung that corners Seulgi this time. After all these months of dinners and getting together for them to get to know each other, Sooyoung finds Seulgi alone in the garden while their business partners are schmoozing in the parlour and dining room. 

Seulgi looks exhausted as she stares into the fountain pensively. The gentle neon lights frame the curve of her face beautifully. Sooyoung wonders if Seulgi has always looked pretty, but she shoves the thought to the back of mind, reminding herself that Seulgi could never make her happy. 

“You can stop the act.” 

Seulgi is startled. She stares at Sooyoung with wide eyes upon her presence. 

Sooyoung crosses her arms over her chest. “I’ve seen you on the courts. You play like you hate me. So you don’t have to play nice with everyone around us anymore. You really don’t fool me. What do you think you can achieve by acting sweet and kind in front of everyone?” 

Seulgi’s mouth moves as if she’s about to say something, but she doesn’t. She just gets up from sitting at the edge of the fountain and walks by Sooyoung. 

Sooyoung doesn’t let it go. She won’t be ignored. She grabs Seulgi’s wrist to stop her. Seulgi tenses under her grip and stares at her furiously. “It’s nice that you know not to speak to me, but I’d like a response, Kang Seulgi.” 

Seulgi twists her wrist free from Sooyoung. “Think what you want.” The blunt response is full of exhaustion. “I’ll see you on the courts, Park Sooyoung.” She doesn’t say anything else and leaves Sooyoung behind. 

Sooyoung wants to terrorize the older girl a bit more. Her impudence makes her annoyed, but she follows Seulgi inside only to see her attacked by a throng of children that want to play with her. And just like that, Seulgi flips the switch, the anger in her eyes disappears and affection fills it as she picks up the smallest child and leads the rest of them to play in another room away from the parents. 

Sooyoung’s curiosity has her following Seulgi into a cosy den where she finds a book for the kids to read. Seulgi looks exhausted, but the smile on her face as she speaks to the innocent children is nothing but genuine. Her kindness and joy is not reserved for Sooyoung. 

Then again, Sooyoung knows she has nothing nice reserved for Seulgi either.

 

Sooyoung has the perfect opportunity to apologize to Seulgi when she shows up to her town car with Seungwan. But Seulgi glares at her so harshly that Sooyoung freezes for the first time in three years. The look in her eyes is full of nothing but hatred. It doesn’t settle well in Sooyoung whatsoever. 

“Hi, we met the other day, I’m Son Seungwan,” the senior greets politely with her fluffy cheeks and cheerful smile. 

Not only does Sooyoung feel Joohyun unnie’s eyes on her but Seulgi is also scowling at her. The unexpected appearance of the older girl really throws Sooyoung off, because she was here to get help from Seungwan. “I-I’m Park Sooyoung, nice to meet you,” she stiffly returns with an awkward bow. 

Yerim looks at her in confusion and elbows her when she awkwardly stands there for a moment. She shoves the bag at Sooyoung. 

Sooyoung snaps into action. “Oh, I got you these,” she says quickly, shoving the bag towards Seungwan. “I heard you like these.” 

Seungwan looks surprised but she’s pleased as she takes the bag. “I didn’t get you anything,” she laments as she looks in the bag. “I love this bread!” She looks at Joohyun with excitement. “Did you tell her?” 

Joohyun coolly shrugs. 

Seungwan looks at Joohyun with so much adoration that Yerim scrunches her nose in disgust. 

“I get it, you like my unnie,” Yerim teases to break the tension. 

Seungwan immediately blushes and pushes up her glasses shyly. “Ah, yea..” 

“You’re really cute and that’s probably why she likes you so much,” Yerim further points out with a giggle. “Aegyo is like her kryptonite.” 

“Yerim.” Joohyun chides with an exasperated sigh. She crosses her arms across her chest. 

Yerim just smiles brightly before going after her next prey, which is Seulgi. “Hi, I’m Bae Yerim, nice to meet you,” she greets enthusiastically. “I feel like Sooyoung unnie should introduce us but clearly she’s in the doghouse.” 

Seulgi tilts her head in automatic confusion. “Ah, no! It’s not like that–we are just–she’s–” Seulgi stammers, unsure of how to interpret Yerim’s words. She looks at Sooyoung with furrowed brows before averting her gaze quickly. “W-wh-why do you say that?” 

Yerim hums mischievously, earning a threatening look from Sooyoung and Joohyun’s exasperation only gets worse. “Because you play volleyball against her a lot,” she chirps like it’s the most obvious answer. “You guys have been rivals for years. I go to all the games so I know.” 

“Ah, okay,” Seulgi softens and gives Yerim a shy smile as she takes her hand. “I’m Kang Seulgi. It’s very nice to meet you. I hope you’re feeling better from the other day, since you were at the hospital.”

Yerim waves her hand. “I’m a-okay! It was nothing major.”

“Nothing major, tsk.” Joohyun narrows her eyes at her younger sister. 

“What? I feel great today!” The tension lightens just by Yerim alone. She rubs her belly. “I am hungry! Can we go eat? I was promised food!”

“The snack shop, unnie?” Seungwan brightly suggests.

“If you’d like,” Joohyun serenely replies. Seungwan nods enthusiastically and Joohyun agrees automatically. 

“Whipped.” Sooyoung coughs with a smile on her face.

“Excuse me?”

“You so are, Dumbo!” Yeri teases loudly as she points out Joohyun’s reddening ears.

“When aren’t you whipped for your Seungwannie?” Sooyoung adds without thinking. 

Seungwan’s eyes widen at Joohyun, who sheepishly explains, “Contact name.” To which Seungwan blushes.

“Y-you don’t get to call her that,” Seulgi says as she holds onto Seungwan as an anchor. 

Sooyoung tilts her head at Seulgi’s sudden comment. 

“It’s okay, Seulgi, she was just joking–”

“Just call her Seungwan-ssi,” Seulgi adds, almost as a warning. Sooyoung is surprised once more; the Seulgi she sees before her is as fierce as the Seulgi on the volleyball court. 

“Hehe, you should listen to her, Sooyoung unnie,” Yerim chimes in to break the growing tension. “Seulgi-ssi has manners.” 

“Why you–” 

“Thank you, Yerim-ssi.” Seulgi flat out ignores Sooyoung. “You can call me unnie because you have manners.” Sooyoung’s jaw drops at how nice Seulgi sounds to Yerim. 

Yerim, that little devil, giggles and elbows Sooyoung’s side. “She likes me more than you.”

“Honestly, it’s not that hard,” Seulgi not so subtly whispers.

Sooyoung whips her attention back to Seulgi. “Excuse me?”

Seulgi twitches ever so slightly under Sooyoung’s gaze but ignores her anyway. She turns to Seungwan, who tries to understand what is going on. “I’m getting hungry too,” she says with a smile on her face. 

“Oh of course,” Seungwan agrees. 

 

They end up taking Sooyoung’s town car because it fits them all. Even though it isn’t a far trip, Joohyun and Sooyoung don’t want Yerim to walk too far so she can save her energy. 

Yerim, the little devil, squishes herself in between Joohyun and Seungwan so that she can talk about the bread that Sooyoung gets her. As an avid anime and morning cartoon watcher, Yerim has much to talk about with Seungwan. And Seungwan, who was pretty nervous, feels more relaxed and more than happy to talk about anime with Yerim. 

Meanwhile, Seulgi continues ignoring Sooyoung, joining in on the conversation with Seungwan and Yerim. After all, she’s the one that got Seungwan into anime and cartoons in the first place. Sooyoung sits awkwardly next to Seulgi because even if she so much as shifts, Seulgi does the same to make sure there is consistent distance between them. 

Joohyun is content, staring after her little sister affectionately conversing with someone new. Occasionally she pats Yerim’s back so she calms down, but Seungwan never minds it. So Joohyun can’t help but smile. 

When they get to the snack shop, the sisters and Seungwan get out first. 

Sooyoung grabs Seulgi’s wrist to stop her from getting out. “Seulgi-ssi.” 

Seulgi tenses considerably and rips her wrist out of Sooyoung’s grasp, but Sooyoung is fast and grabs her again. “What is it, Park Sooyoung?” she tightly asks, gently tugging her wrist. Her pupils quiver at the way Sooyoung’s hand is wrapped around her wrist.

“Why are you here?” Sooyoung asks with a bit of exasperation. “I thought you were avoiding me.” 

“I’m here for Seungwan,” Seulgi answers firmly. “I don’t know why you want to meet her or what you want to do with her, but it won’t happen with me around.” 

Sooyoung furrows her brow. “Do you think I’m going to do something terrible?” 

Seulgi gently pries her wrist from Sooyoung’s grasp. “Yes,” she says simply. 

Sooyoung is shocked by her frankness. “You–” 

“I’m willing to pay.” 

“What?” 

“Whatever you want from Seungwan, take it from me instead,” Seulgi declares. She swallows the lump forming in . “I don’t care what the price is. Seungwan’s my best friend and I’m always going to protect her. So I’m asking you, whatever you want from Seungwan, I’ll pay for it and more.” 

“Why are you saying this to me?” 

“I owe you for my family, so what’s another person?” Seulgi’s bottom lip quivers unconsciously. “You own me anyway.” 

Sooyoung feels her heart drop inside of her. Over the years, no matter what, Seulgi has never looked the way she does at this moment. Seulgi takes whatever she says in stride, ignoring her and keeping her head up high. At what point did her words actually get to Seulgi? Why does it sound horrible hearing it repeated to her? 

“Seulgi…” Sooyoung doesn’t even know what to say. An apology doesn’t seem enough. 

There’s a light tap on the window. Joohyun tugs the door open just a little bit. Seulgi looks away for a brief moment and tilts her head up. It’s then Sooyoung sees the tears that had formed as Seulgi tries to blink them away. 

“Seulgi-ssi, let’s go eat,” Joohyun offers, obviously catching the tension between them. She doesn’t say anymore than that and Seulgi is grateful for the older woman as she hops out of the car. 

Seulgi feels like she can breathe again as she steps out of the town car. She sees Yerim and Seungwan waiting for her and pulls a smile on her face again. 

Sooyoung sees the way Seungwan smiles at her best friend and Seulgi returns it as she hooks onto Seungwan’s arm. She sinks back into her seat just a little bit.

“What happened?” Joohyun asks carefully. 

Sooyoung thinks of the way that Seulgi has been with her family over the years. The way she thought Seulgi would just be like her father, seeking more from her family, begging for help. Seulgi has never asked Sooyoung for anything ever, but now she has. And it’s not even for her benefit. 

“I think...I’ve been a horrible person to her,” Sooyoung sighs despondently as she goes through all the memories she has with Seulgi in it. “One apology might not be enough.” 


a/n: thanks for getting here! i know it's been awhile and many people have been wanting Bae's Anatomy but i am going to finish this story before i delve into Bae's story (rest assured there are a few versions of ep4 that i am just deciding on and we shall see where that story takes us) AND i might have a side project like a long one shot as well to tide us over <3 hope everyone has been enjoying content from our lovely girls!