Cruel Summer

warm hugs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For #WenReneDay 💝💙

 

It's the best season of the year for Red Velvet again.

Summer.

They will be busy like there's no tomorrow.

From practice, recording, album jacket photoshoots, magazine photoshoots, etc. are coming their way. 

But Irene being the most in-demand person for the photoshoots is always out for schedules.

It raises concern for her girlfriend and member Wendy who noticed how Irene lose weight in a span of time. Wendy was also aware that their time for each other decreased because of the different time in their schedules and it was not easy to catch up with each other.

One time, Wendy decided to wait for Irene and eat dinner together. She didn't realize she fell asleep. She look at the clock and check if Irene is already at home and just didn't bother to wake her up but to her disappointment, there was no Irene. 

She then grabs her phone and called Irene immediately. 

"Hello, Hyun?" she greeted.

"Mmmm?" Irene hums. Wendy could feel the tiredness in her voice. Her heart hurts knowing how tired her girlfriend is today. 

"Are you still on your schedule?" Wendy asked politely. She doesn't want to add up to her girlfriend's worries.

"Yes yes, have to shoot another round and by our pace, i think we will finish at dawn"

"Uhh, Aren't you tired? Do you want me to fetch you?" she said worriedly. 

"No!" Irene refuse instantly which made Wendy startled. "I mean... it's already late Wan. It's okay. Just take a rest" Irene added as she was also shocked by her action. Wendy sighed in relief. 

"Are you sure?" 

"Yes..."

"Uhm, okay, i love you, Hyun. Please take care okay?" Wendy sweetly said. 

"Irene! Let's go?" Wendy heard from the background. 

"Wan-ah, i need to go now. I'm okay. I love you too! Sleep well. Bye!" Irene quickly said. 

"Hyun, don't forget to-"

"Tut tut tut" is what she heard from the other line.

Wendy can't sleep after the conversation thinking so much about Irene's reaction earlier. She doesn't want to overthink it and just swipe it away from her thoughts. Wendy then falls asleep after so much thought about it. 

-

After a week. Irene still has the most schedule among them. Joy is out for photoshoots and an animal farm pre-recorded episode that's why Seulgi, Wendy, and Yeri were left at the dorm. 

"Seulgi unnie, where's Seungwan unnie?" Yeri asked. Seulgi was busy preparing breakfast for them but still answered,

"She's still sleeping. She practiced at the company last night" 

"Ahhh, we're going to her radio today, right?"

"Yup"

"What's with Joohyun unnie and Seungwan unnie these days?"

"Huh? Why???"

"Are you blind unnie? They are acting awkward and all"

"That's probably your delusions. They are okay. Don't make an issue out of it"

"Fine. But do you smell something??"

"What now?!" Seulgi irritatedly said. 

"Well, your fried rice and sunny side up are burning!"

"What the!"

Yeri laughs as she sees Seulgi rush towards the kitchen. 

-

"Unnie, you cook so well!" Yeri compliments Seulgi after one bite. 

"Thank you" Seulgi blushed. 

"Please cook for me a lot"

"Ha.. i thought you love Seungwan's homemade food?"

"Of course, it's still the best!"

"Tsk. You're making me like an option huh?"

Yeri laughs at Seulgi and continues eating. 

She grabs her phone and browses the internet. 

"Oh My God!" Yerim shouts. 

"Yerim-ah! Stop shouting!" Seulgi shouts back as she was washing the plates. 

"Look at these pictures unnie!"

"Where?" Seulgi looked intently at the pictures in front of her. "What the hell?! Where did these pictures come from?" she asked furiously. 

"Dispatch! Look!" Yeri commented. 

"Let's prevent Wannie from looking at her phone!" Seulgi suggests. 

"Huh? We should tell her!" 

"No!" Seulgi fights back again. She placed her hands on both of Yeri's shoulders. "We're not going to meddle into their relationship," she said. 

"But unnie..." Yeri was on the verge of crying but holds it. 

"We know how much Wannie loves Joohyun unnie... it will break her heart" Seulgi wipes her own tears. "I don't want to see wannie being vulnerable.."

"I told you... there's something off between them these days" Yeri sadly said. Seulgi hugs her in comfort. 

Just in time. Joy barged into their dorm. 

"Where's Irene unnie?" Joy asked the two. Seulgi and Yeri were shocked by her reaction. 

They know how much Joy cared for Seungwan. They are also there when Joy warned Joohyun if she dared to hurt her angel unnie. 

"Sooyoung-ah.." Seulgi calls her in a polite way. 

"Where's Irene unnie and Wendy unnie?!" she asked again. 

"Unnie.. Seungwan unnie is sleeping and Irene unnie already goes to her schedule" Yeri answered this time. 

"Did you see the news circling around social media?!"

"Just now" 

"And you're not doing anything?!" 

"We don't want to complicate things, Sooyoung-ah"

"Complicate things?!"

"We should not cross the line"

"Ha!" Joy furiously reacts. "So, are you taking Irene unnie's side?" 

"No!" Seulgi denied. 

"Look, in our point of view Joohyun unnie did something here and Seungwan unnie.."

"Sooyoung-ah... i'm not telling you to ignore Wan feelings..."

"Ignore my feelings from where?" They were all shocked when they heard Seungwan's low voice. It looks like she just got up from the bed. 

"Wan-ah..." Seulgi calls her name. She was crying. 

"Why? Why are you guys so noisy this morning? and why are you even crying?" Seungwan asked confused about what was happening. 

"Unnie..." Yeri calls her this time. But since she can't tell the truth to her unnie she lets out the tears she's been holding back earlier.

"What? Why? Tell me" 

"Unnie..." Joy looked at Seulgi who is now shedding a lot of tears and just nodding at what she wants to do. 

"C-can you promise me that you'll be okay?" Joy said and looked at Seungwan worriedly. 

"Okay" Seungwan smiled at her sweetly. Joy clenched her fist. She thought, her unnie doesn't deserve this. She's the precious person that she wants to protect in this cruel world but she failed. She just failed. "Stop worrying me guys. Tell me. I'll be fine" 

"Joohyun unnie and Jennie..." Joy can't continue with the words "Just look at this post" she said instead. 

Seungwan digested all the information she have read in the article. 

"Oh" is the word she just said. 

"Unnie..." 

"It's the second time right? The first one was denied easily but this time both companies didn't deny it anymore" Yeri explained. Seungwan just shrugged it off. She doesn't want to talk about it or more likely she doesn't know how to talk about this with her members. 

"Are you worried about this?" Seungwan asked, smiling. 

"Seungwan.." Seulgi calls. She wants to hug her best friend so much but she's afraid. 

"It's okay. Joohyun unnie and I will talk about this" Seungwan said. "Don't worry too much. We have schedule later on my radio. See you there" she added. She taps Joy's shoulder. 

"Unnie... are you okay?" Joy asked her. 

"I am" Seungwan fiercely answered. 

"Seungwan-ah..."

"Don't take my side without knowing unnie's side, please? It's unfair" Seungwan begs and looks intently into her member's eyes. 

"But-"

"I'm okay," Seungwan said again this time there was a warning in her voice. "I'll go get ready for the radio" she smiled as she goes to her room. 

"I really hate Seungwan unnie sometimes," Joy said.

"She's not Seungwan if she's not like that" Seulgi agreed. 

"Seungwan unnie always being kind and i hate it a lot" Yeri commented. 

"Sooyoung-ah... i want you to behave while doing the radio" Seulgi warns Joy. "At least for Wannie, please" she added. 

"Fine" Joy walks out. 

"I'll go check on Joohyun unnie schedule, make sure to stay at Sooyoung side" Seulgi tapped Yeri's shoulder and hug her. 

Yerim nodded and wipe away her tears. 

-

Seulgi, Joy, and Yeri arrived at the sbs parking lot at exactly 7 pm kst. Joohyun and the manager who accompanied her with her solo schedule for the day were a little bit late but just enough for all the fansite to unite to take a group picture.

Seulgi pushed Joy to her side. Yerim positioned herself in the middle and smile widely at the crowd. 

"Is there something wrong?" Joohyun whispered to Yeri. The younger woman froze. She wants to ask her leader many questions and confront her but this is not the right time for that. So instead of voicing out her thoughts she just shook her head and continue smiling. 

After the mini fansign with their fansites, they go all the way up to the building and met the youngstreet staff. They all bow to each other.

"Where's Wendy unnie?" Joy asked. "Can we see her already?"

"Park Sooyoung" Irene called out but Joy ignored her. 

"It's okay. You can go to the waiting room. You can see her there"

"Thank you, PD-nim" Joy bows and gladly walks toward the room. Yeri accompanied her. 

"Thank you, PD-nim," Irene said. 

"No worries. Please excuse me, I'll go check on Wendy"

"Why is Sooyoung acting like that?" Irene asked Seulgi. 

"Uh..." Seulgi clenched her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter