Spellbound

I'd Like To Walk Around In Your Mind (oneshot compilation);

 

"You don't have to say anything"

title: Spellbound

summary: Gwiboon and Junghee are witches about to be burned at the stake. 

pairing: jongkey (jungheexgwiboon)

genre: angst, witchAU

word count: 353

 

---

 

 

Gwiboon was almost out of it. 

 

Her head felt so drowsy and light that she would've doubted it was still attached to her body if it wasn't bumping against the firm, wooden surface behind it.

 

She was barely panting air in her lungs, gelid shivers galvanizing her limp limbs bound to a stake. 

 

She turned to face Junghee.

 

She was tied to the same pole, her hair dishevelled, skin drenched in sweat and copious blood gushing from her cut out tongue.

 

It smeared all around her snout, poured down her neck and soaked the collar of her dress. 

 

Gwiboon's heart sank at the sight of her lover in such a horrendous state, yet the hot, metallic-tasting liquid pooling in reminded her she was in the same situation.

 

Their tongues were cut off to prevent them from casting cursing spells on the village because, as a result of the trials, the accusations of witchcraft against them were reputed valid. 

 

Gwiboon was publicly stripped and examined. To the crowd, the scar on her eyebrow and the birthmark on her lower back were irrefutable proof of the 'Devil's mark', a blemish supposedly given to her upon entering into her covenant with Satan.

 

Junghee had to recite some verbs of the Bible, based on their wisdom that witches were incapable of reading the scripts aloud in a clean and clear manner.

The strain of the circumstances added to her widely-known fear of public speaking got the best of her, and she stuttered through it all.

 

They were staring at each other, the love oozing off their shaking pupils muffling the condemning words of the prosecutor. 

 

They knew their doom was sealed.

 

Junghee's eyes desperately searched for Gwiboon's, her body inclined towards her as if she was aching to tell her something. 

 

 Gwiboon knew her like the palm of her hand, and she understood the older was pining to spare a few comforting words to her. 

 

She gave her an eye smile and a feeble shake of the head. 

 

 Junghee knew her just as well, and could read those unspoken words in her gestures: "you don't have to say anything".