Chapter five

The Reason Why

Jeongyeon rolled into the bed, cursing the sunlight for waking her up and cursing soon after due to severe pain in her head. The other side of the bed was empty and perfectly tidy, as if no one had slept in it.

She got up slowly, doing her best to reach the kitchen without crashing into any furniture or walls. The clock in the kitchen struck noon and Nayeon was sitting at the table, her glasses on her nose and her gaze fixed on the screen of her laptop.

"Where is Nana? She usually makes a lot of noise before lunch" she took a bottle of water, drinking half of it in a few gulps.

"She's been with your mother since yesterday, I told you so" the older wrote down some things in her notebook without paying any attention to the other girl.

Jeongyeon felt a hollow stomach and a shiver go down her spine as she saw the box on the calendar that read 'anniversary' crossed out "Nayeon, listen.."

"I have no intention of listening to you, save those words to praise your colleague. Did you have fun, huh? Like a fool, I prepared dinner and lit candles in the hope of spending the night with you, but you preferred to stay there drinking with that one. You came back very late and you were also drunk"

"I wasn't with her, there were other colleagues too. I'm so sorry, I didn't look at the date and it just slipped my mind"

Nayeon wiped away a tear quickly, doing everything to keep her shoulders from jolting from the crying she was holding back "I had hoped to be able to solve the problems we have, to be able to feel your love again" she was looking at her with reddened eyes "but you don't love me anymore and I was a fool for two years hoping that things could get back to normality. I almost believed it after agreeing to take a day off to party late and deciding to leave Nana with your parents, but you completely forgot about it"

Jeongyeon didn't know what to say, was open to speak but she couldn't make any sound. The last statement was correct, but she couldn't say the same for the question of her feelings: she loved her girlfriend with all of herself, but she could no longer prove it to her.

"As I imagined" the older closed the laptop and picked up her things from the table.

"It's not true that I don't love you, I just forgot a ing anniversary"

"You always forget everything about me, don't play the victim's card" she fixed her eyes on her "do you realize that to receive your kisses and to feel wanted by you I have to be content with when you go around getting drunk? It is humiliating and stupid of me, but I am in love with you to the point of being satisfied with that. Tell me why you behave like this and I will stop harassing you, I have every right to know"

They were looking into each other's eyes "it all started during the birth, you don't remember anything of that moment because your heart gave out and to save the baby they had to do an emergency cesarean while another doctor was taking care of giving you the massage heart. I was there holding your hand, I saw you dead for I don't know how long and that triggered something in me that prevents me from getting close to you, that stops me from giving you my love"

Nayeon was pinching her arms lightly in a desperate attempt to stay calm "I already know these things and frankly yours seems like a bad excuse. Can't you love me out of fear? Know that death comes to everyone sooner or later and that you wasted two years hiding behind this bull. I know it wasn't easy for you and I'm so sorry, but I'm the one who woke up with a scar on my stomach that I shouldn't have had and pills to take regularly to don't let my heart collapse"

"It's the same thing my mother told me and I'm sorry, but I can't help it" she looked down "love can be expressed in many ways, our relationship isn't to point to be thrown away"

"It's not to be thrown away, it's over since the moment you decided to take me for granted" Nayeon wiped her cheeks "I decided to go live alone and not put any lawyer in the middle for Nana's custody, I know that at least we can manage the time to spend with on our own"

"You don't have to go away, this is our house"

"Jeong, I haven't felt at home in a long time. I want to stop suffering like this for a person who doesn't want me next to her and who can't realize that she's wasting both of our time. Live as you see fit, it's enough for me that Nana isn't affected by this separation" she held the laptop in her arms "I will return to take my things when I have found a place to stay" 

With that last sentence their conversation came to the end, just like their love story lasted ten long years.

 

 

 

 

It was already the third time that the bulla of the class had thrown her notebook in the bin and Tzuyu was starting to get annoyed "could you stop it? I didn't do anything wrong"

"I decide when to stop. Get down and kiss my shoes and maybe I'll be good to you from now on, but to have this honor you will have to behave like a dog. Kneel down" seeing that the younger wasn't moving, the bully clenched her fist in her hair "I told you to get down on your knees!"

A small crowd had gathered and there were very few sad faces for the fate of Tzuyu, who was with her knees on the ground and her eyes down. Despite everything she wasn't crying, which surprised everyone present.

Just a second before Tzuyu's face touched the bully's shoes, she let go of Tzuyu's hair and fell against a counter.

Dahyun punched her in the face with all her strength "it's easy to behave like a with the weakest, right? Dirty " she pushed her to the ground, straddling her in an attempt to give her a good lesson, but two of the girl's friends pulled her away by the arms, blocking her.

The bully rose from the ground and returned the punch she had received, making sure to put in more strength than necessary "you were a fool to run to the rescue of your little sister. Hold her still, it's time to have fun"

Dahyun couldn't break free, but she was relieved that Mina had heeded her request to take Tzuyu away. Luckily she had previously asked a professor for help and she managed not to lose her face, getting by with a split lip, a bruise on her left cheekbone and a cut on her forehead.

 

 

 

 

Momo glanced to the side, seeing both places next to her empty: Sana had the day off due to some schedule and Jihyo was printing some things. She looked at the time and got up without even realizing it, entering the copier closet and finding the pregnant girl leaning against the wall.

"Do you feel bad?" she immediately closed the door, worried "you are very pale, do you have to throw up? I'll take you to the bathroom if you can't walk properly"

"I'm fine, I'm just feeling dizzy" she had her eyes closed and she couldn't stand up well. She immediately felt safe the moment two strong arms gently wrapped her "what are you doing?"

"I hold you because I don't want to let you fall and risk that you and the baby get hurt" Momo was her back, avoiding looking into her eyes "you should take better care of yourself, the baby needs the mother to be fine and healthy"

Jihyo held her in a hug, resting her head on her shoulder and enjoying that moment "I'm doing it, I'm just a little stressed"

"Is there anything I can do for you?"

"I just have to stay like this for a while, hold me tight until I feel better" she smiled when Momo held her tighter, without telling her she felt alrrady better "I missed you"

The brunette couldn't resist the urge to kiss her head "I've always been here, I told you I'll always be there for you" having her so close increased her desire: she wanted to kiss her, touch her and leave the rest of the world out for a few hours. She didn't do any of those things, just held onto the person who made her weak.

 

 

 

 

In twenty-three years of life, Sana had seen many things that had left her speechless, but meeting a battered Dahyun at the supermarket also made her internal organs tremble. She was happy to have met her, but she wasn't thrilled at all with the blood and bruise on the younger face.

She didn't think twice and pulled her away from the frozen food section, taking her with her. The drive was silent and the redhead respected that silence, taking care of her immediately after she had set foot in her house.

Disinfecting the cut on her forehead was quite complicated due to the constant movements of the younger "I told you it hurts me!"

"I don't think it can hurt more than the punches they gave to you" she stopped her head with one hand and with the other she took care of disinfecting everything "tell me what happened and I'll think of a way not to let Jihyo know"

"A was humiliating my sister and I punched her ty face"

"Could you express yourself without swearing? You look tender and cute until you open your mouth" 

Dahyun smirked "do you find me cute?" she leaned over to kiss her, pouting straight away "don't move, I just want to thank you for your help"

The older didn't allow herself to be distracted and continued in the task of disinfecting her wounds "you have a cut on your lip and I really don't think it's worth reopening it just for a kiss"

"You're right, I'll wait for it to heal before I come and see you to collect it" she gave an angelic smile that seemed like a smirk.

Sana looked at her seriously "there will be no kiss, do we understand each other?" she gave her some plasters "these are for the wound on the lip. Wait, I'll put one on you" she took great care, allowing herself to her lower lip with her thumb "you are settled, although there isn't much I can do for the bruise"

Dahyun felt embarrassed and excited at the same time by the older's gaze, wishing she could be looked that way every day. She reached out to take her hand, intertwining their fingers "thank you for helping me"

"I would do it again a thousand times, but I confess that I would prefer not to see you again in these conditions" her gaze fell again on the lips of the younger.

"If you don't hurry to kiss me I'll do it" she wrapped her arms around her neck, getting up and reducing the short distance between the couch and the stool they were respectively sitting on. Sana wasn't resisting and Dahyun thought she could finally kiss her again, at least until her cell phone decided to ring just as their lips were about to touch.

The girl replied after cursing in a low voice and glancing in the direction of Sana, who had moved as far away from her as possible "hello? I'm fine, I just had a setback. I'm glad nothing happened to you, is Mina there with you?" when her sister handed the phone to her friend she said that she had been helped by an acquaintance and that she would be back home shortly.

"I'll take you, it would take you a long time on foot" the redhead took the car keys, gesturing to go.

"What about our kiss?"

"We won't kiss, I'm sorry I let my guard down and gave you the illusion that we could. Come on, Tzuyu needs you and you need a shower" she opened the front door "hurry up, I have plans"

Dahyun didn't throw a tantrum and didn't make a scene, but she didn't bother to hide her disappointment. They didn't speak again and didn't say goodbye once they arrived at their destination, both feeling sad and empty.

 

 

 

 

Mina left her friends' house only after making sure that the older of the two was fine and had covered the bruise on her cheekbone properly, even if it took all her patience to help her do the last thing.

She was feeling frustrated by the person Dahyun hadn't stopped talking about ever since she'd set foot in the small apartment, talking about the missed kiss and their exchanging glances. She hadn't known each other long, but she felt jealous.

She had also talked about it with Chaeyoung during an evening when she and her friend of hers went out to have fun. The pink-haired girl had advised her not to force a non-existent bond, telling her too that feeling jealous of someone wasn't right. Strange but true, she had gone to talk to her again.

"Dahyun loves you like a friend, you should focus on this" she handed her a glass of water "and you should stop sneaking into this place every time you need to complain, you are visiting me every day"

"I'm sorry, but it was a terrible day because of the fight and the person who took care of Dahyun while I was at her apartment waiting for her. Tzuyu was scared and she acted irresponsible"

Chaeyoung looked at her seriously "you aren't angry about the fight or that she didn't come home right away to check on her sister; you are angry because you didn't get anything from her. You shouldn't do things just because you expect something in return, it's wrong"

The blonde looked down, immediately feeling stupid "you're right, sometimes I don't even realize how I behave"

"Feelings are difficult to manage, but I'm sure that an intelligent person like you can do it" she smiled reassuringly, taking off one of the many rings she had on her fingers "this is an anti-stress ring, I give it to you. Use it when you feel the need"

Mina accepted the gift with a lovely smile "I'll keep it with care"

 

 

 

 

Jihyo was so excited that she didn't notice Dahyun's face and the fact that she and Tzuyu were quieter than usual. There were two reasons for her euphoria: Momo had spent more than twenty minutes holding and cuddling her, making her feel her presence and her affection; the other reason was the phone call received shortly before by a girl, who had shown interest in the announcement to share the apartment with them.

"She will arrive soon, behave yourself and cross your fingers" she was walking in circles for half an hour "we have to make a good impression"

"I'm getting seasick, could you sit down?" Tzuyu was pissed off having a stranger in the house, but she was even more annoyed for having to move all of her things to Dahyun's room "I also had a quick snack to hurry to vacate my room and I feel a heavy stomach" 

Dahyun her head "you were very good, just continue to be so and leave our sister alone. She is finally smiling, do you see it? Let's do our best to make her stay like that"

The younger hadn't noticed Jihyo's radiant smile, but felt slightly better after observing her for a full minute "she is more beautiful when she smiles" her heart was beating more frequently, even if she didn't know why "it would be nice if also you could really smile"

"I always do it when I'm with you" she smiled at her to give her a demonstration "you don't realize how special you are"

"It has nothing to do with what we were talking about"

"I know, but I wanted to reiterate it" she smiled at her again, jumping up after hearing the sound of the doorbell. She opened the door with a bright smile "hello, come in" she made room for her.

The newcomer looked around curiously, finally dwelling on the three sisters and smiling kindly "can I see the rest of the apartment before I decide?"

"Sure, come with me!" Jihyo showed her all the rooms "that's all, our apartment is quite small and unfortunately we only have one bathroom"

"I like it very much and my room is the right size, but I have an important request for you" she took her cell phone and showed them a picture "I have a two year old girl and she will spend time with me often, would that be a problem for you? It's a little lively, but I'll make sure she doesn't bother you"

Tzuyu would have liked to pull her hair out at that request: not only she should have to endure the presence of a stranger, but she would also have been forced to tolerate an annoying brat. Unfortunately for her, her sisters adored children and immediately accepted her, asking the girl to show them more pictures.

"Since we have decided everything, let me introduce myself: my name is Nayeon and I am a lawyer, so I would like to repay the welcome by paying more than half of the rent"

Jihyo looked at her a bit puzzled "it wouldn't be fair at all"

"I have only my personal expenses to manage while you are three, honestly it seems right to give a hand as I can" she smiled again, even if the joy she wanted to show hadn't reached her eyes "I come from a wealthy family and I have a high salary, I assure you that for me it would be more than fair. You could think about shopping, what do you think?"

That offer, given the economic situation in which they found themselves, turned out to be three times more attractive to Jihyo and this prompted her to accept, thanking their roommate at least a hundred times.

"Can I move in now? I already have the furniture ready and I just have to ask to bring it here"

"Of course you can, we'll give you a hand to fix everything" the older of the three sisters was no longer in her skin.

At the time of sleep Tzuyu was intent on staring at the ceiling "there's one thing I can't understand"

"What?" Dahyun was very sleepy and on the verge of falling asleep.

"Nayeon has no money problems, so I wonder why she moved into such a small apartment with three people she doesn't know anything about"

"She's probably coming out of a difficult situation and she doesn't want to feel alone, her eyes send me so much pain" she made herself comfortable "you know Tzu, when you suffer it's hard to be alone, but I think suffering from a loss is even worse. Nayeon has lost something she really cared about and doesn't know where to start again, that's why we have to do our best to cheer her up"

Those words boomed in Tzuyu's head all night, making her feel a hint of empathy for that stranger.