Usual and Same

Stars and Fireworks

A smile crept on Han Sunhwa’s face when she read the text message from him. He’s always like that, all cheesy and corny. She put her phone inside her bag and walked towards the bus stop. To her, it’s okay taking the bus home. In fact, she’s getting used to it.

 

The bus was a little crowded that time because it’s peak hour. People were going home, after long hours at their workplaces and so did her. She squished her way inside. Feeling a bit uncomfortable with her body’s rubbed against other passengers. But what can she do?

 

 

***

 

 

‘Ah.. Sunhwa-yah! There’s a delivery for you. I put in on the table!’ As soon as she entered the small apartment, a shout from the kitchen could be heard. Without wasting any time, she grabbed the box on the small coffee table at the living room and ran into her room.

‘Hey! Aigoo.. Don’t you want dinner?!’ The voice echoed again as soon as she could hear Sunhwa’s door went to a slam. The person yelling was actually her bubbly housemate, Jung Hana.

 

 

She unwrapped the small box on her lap. Sunhwa was sitting on the side of her bed, wondering what she would get from him this time. A giggle went out from when she took out the things inside it.

 

Mianhae because I couldn’t pick you up today. Happy 999th day. Hope this will make it up for you. I love you so much.

-Junho-

 

‘Mwo? 999th day? So sweet of him to count the days.’ She mumbled to herself while holding a thick sketch pad. Well, she actually told him that she needed a new one a few days ago and now, ‘poof!’ It’s already in her hands.

Sunhwa took the small note that he wrote and got up. Then, she went towards a spot on her walls, where there’s a special space for all of Junho’s love notes and letters that he wrote to her since they’re high-school students. She quickly pasted it on the small board and took a few steps backwards, taking a view of them, proud of her love notes collection.

 

But suddenly, the smile slowly faded away. Sunhwa then, let out a heavy sigh feeling a bit bored with all those sweet words for her.

 

-Flashback-

 

‘Han Sunhwa, would you be my girlfriend?’ His voice was shaking, his hands too which was holding a bouquet of her favourite flower. Roses.

 

She could feel her heart was beating to its maximum speed. Never in her life a guy confessed to her like that. Usually, she’s the one who always spoke up to the boys that she liked.

 

‘Neh.’ A short answer came from her. He looked up. Anyone could tell from his face that he’s shocked and happy at the same time.

 

‘Jeongmal?’ He asked, uncertain. Maybe he had misheard her, just in case.

 

She nodded her head shyly and smiled at him. The boy didn’t know what to do and carefully, he walked towards her and handed her the flowers. Then, he gave her a peck on her left cheek and hugged her tight.

 

-End of Flashback-

 

That memorable event happened when they’re at high school. A few years back, when their love was still warm and fluffy. Sunhwa felt like she’s on a cotton candy that time, immersed in his world. A world full of sweet word which made her felt all giddy inside where she was also treated like a princess.

But that’s way back when they’re still teenagers. And now? She’s not sure herself. It’s like she’s kind of used to them. Nothing special anymore but he’s still a special man inside her heart. That’s what she believed.

 

Suddenly, her thoughts were interrupted when a cute ‘Pika’ sound came from her phone.

 

From: Junho Oppa

To: Sweetie Sunhwa

Did you get the present? Do you like it?

Received: 8:17pm

 

She just replied back to his text, saying that she loved it. As usual and then, she plopped her tired body on her bed. Tired from teaching the hyper junior students back at school but she enjoyed it. It’s like both her interests were all combined to one. Arts and kids. She loved them both.

 

Sunhwa closed her eyes, not wanting to have dinner that night. Unknowingly, she went to a deep slumber.

 

 

***

 

 

She opened her eyes slowly and to her realization, she’s still at her room judging from the familiar ceiling above her. She was also unchanged from her working attire last night. Sunhwa shifted her position and turned her body to her side.

Her heart was about to fall off when she saw a guy, sleeping soundly right next to her on her bed.

 


 

What do you think about the first chapter?