To the girl I love-

The Safe Haven Series: To All the Girls I've Loved Before (SaTzu)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hello everyone! I hope you are all well, safe and in good health. I'm so sorry for being MIA for so long. Work has been busy these past few months and I was required to travel around. But I am back! So happy to be able to meet you all here again. As usual (only because I said I'll put this on every chapter), please do read the Foreword if you haven't - just so you have an insight of this series. It'll mean a lot to me. Okayyy! No more wasting time, leggoooo!

Minatozaki Sana was the definition of sunshine. It wasn't that the girl was always happy without any worries. Instead, it was because the Osaka native would always try her best to be kind and considerate of every situation. She was always one of the biggest energies in a room, and she would always spread happiness. Being around Sana was always pleasant, as she would often try to be merry and happy.

The Japanese could be seen happily strolling down the campus block towards her dormitory. Sana was done for the day and decided to return to the dorm she shared with Momo and Nayeon. She had planned to spend the remaining day with Jihyo and Mina by lazying around in the NaMoSa dorm - a bi-weekly bonding ritual they had (unofficially).

As Sana was walking up the walkway to her dormitory building, she caught a figure leaning by the railings of the accessibility entrance. She didn't mean to speculate that the younger was waiting for her, but she had a gut feeling that it was precisely that. The Japanese thought that it looked like Tzuyu from a far and the mere thought made Sana's heart rate pick up and the Japanese beauty found herself taking faster steps.

Sana squinted and grinned as she approached closer when her thoughts were correct. It was indeed Tzuyu.

"Tzuyu ah!" Sana greeted as she arrived a few steps short of the Taiwanese beauty.

"Hey, Sana unnie." Tzuyu greeted as she pushed herself off from leaning against the railing, "I was waiting for you."

From Tzuyu's semi-shy grin, Sana was confident she didn't assume things wrong. Plus, she had managed to gaze down to Tzuyu's hands and caught sight of a rose and an envelope in each hand by her side.

Sana's eyes brightened, and she managed to keep from squealing at the thought of being one of Tzuyu's objects of affection at one point in time.

"I heard you were going around spreading cheer," Sana teasingly said as she shot Tzuyu a charming smile.

Tzuyu didn't say much, but she tilted her head to show interest and amusement at Sana's words. The Japanese then giggled and joked, "Well, mostly from Momoring's whines."

At the mention of Momo, Tzuyu felt her cheeks heat up as she recalled her letter to Mina - the last (and arguably first) girl she fell in love love with.

Momo was one of the closest people to Tzuyu, so Tzuyu had many worries about sending Mina a love letter at first. However, when she saw Momo after her confession to Mina, Momo welcomed her with the same warmth as usual. Though the older foreigner did here and there, Tzuyu was thankful that she didn't ruffle any feathers in writing love letters to other people's girlfriends.

"I won't lie and say I wasn't curious if you'll end up at my doorstep," Sana confessed charmingly still, but there was some shyness in her tone and body language this time.

Tzuyu smiled at Sana's words as she boldly took a step closer to the older student, "Well, here I am."

Sana's eyes softened with her smile at Tzuyu's response, "Here you are..."

Tzuyu smiled back shyly and Sana found the whole situation endearing. Sana's insides felt like they were melting and erupting all at once. She watched in interest and expectation as Tzuyu reached her hands out to present her the letter and the rose.

"This is for you, Sana unnie," Tzuyu said, smiling sweetly as Sana reached out for the presented items.

"Thank you, Tzuyu ah." Sana beamed.

The two fell into awkward (yet strangely comfortable) silence before Tzuyu nervously cleared .

"Well, I should get going now.."

"More love letters to deliver?" Sana teased.

Tzuyu only smiled and shook her head before gesturing to the letter in Sana's hold, "Actually, this is the last one."

"The best for last, then?" Sana teased again, raising her eyebrows in delight.

Tzuyu giggled lightly before nodding her head and playing along, "Definitely."

Sana giggled too, "So, you're heading back now?"

Tzuyu's lips parted but before the younger could answer, Sana was already speaking again.

"You can come in if you want." She offered, "Us, 'middle liners', are getting together in a bit - you know us, just chilling. You're more than welcome to join!"

"That sounds fun, unnie. But I'm going to have to pass this time." Tzuyu politely declined, "I've already planned to get a bite to eat with Elkie unnie. I'm a little hungry..."

Sana giggled fondly at Tzuyu's shy expression, "I understand. Next time, then?"

"Sure!" Tzuyu smiled, "I should get going now. I'll see you soon, unnie."

"Alright, Tzuyu ah. Be careful on your way!" Sana bid farewell, waving at Tzuyu's retreating figure, who waved back before turning around and walking off.

Once Tzuyu was a distance away, Sana sighed happily and eyes the letter and rose for a while and squealed as quietly as she could, though not bothering to hide her excitement in receiving a love letter from Tzuyu.

After Mina's letter, Sana thought it was the last for the Taiwanese beauty since she didn't hear any news about anyone else receiving Tzuyu's romantic gesture.

Sana won't lie and say she wasn't disappointed. It would be an absolute honour for Sana if a person like Tzuyu liked her, even for just a moment in time. Tzuyu was kind and breathtakingly lovely. Who wouldn't feel lucky to have caught her eyes?

It had been days since Tzuyu's love proclamation to Mina before the Taiwanese went silent. So, Sana assumed that Mina was at the end of the list for Tzuyu. She didn't think the tall beauty would appear in front of her today. But she did; Tzuyu appeared like a sweet dream before Sana.

 

Therefore, with a spring in her step, Sana headed for her dorm and happily went in. She discarded her items and changed into more comfortable clothes as she would usually before glancing at the clock on the common area wall and found that she still had time before the rest arrived. She happily got Tzuyu's letter and rose out as she plopped herself down on the sofa.

She started by admiring her name's cursive penmanship on the envelope before she took the letter out. From its looks, she could tell that it was written with so much care and effort - Sana almost teared up at how thoughtful Tzuyu was.

She smiled as her gaze dropped to the red rose on her lap. She lifted it and brought it up to her nose to smell it. Call it cliche but honestly, who wouldn't have done the same? With a dreamy sigh, Sana placed the rose on the coffee table before carefully taking out the letter from the envelope.

She was only two words in when she paused reading and tilted her head, seemingly examining the words.

"Sana?" She mumbled to herself as she raised her eyebrows at the name Tzuyu had greeted her with. It was not because she minded but it wasn't like the well-mannered ole Tzuyu to address her unnies without honorifics.

Still, she decided to shrug it off.

"Sana..." she mused aloud before giggling fondly, "That's cute."

Sana chuckled before she reread the letter.

---------xxx---------

Dearest Sana,

I've tried thousands of times to put my feelings down into words but none seem to suffice for the emotions I feel for you.

I've tried a million times to say it out loud to you but every time I do, I get tongue-tied and words get in the way.

So, please forgive me if this letter falls short.

I didn't wake up one day and fell for you. Truly, it wasn't something that happened instantly. I don't know just when it happened with you, and I know I'm falling deeper and deeper for you as the seconds pass.

It's different. Everything's always different with you—a good kind of different.

Forgive me that you're reading it from a piece of paper with my messy penmanship instead of hearing it from my mouth, unnie but I don't think I could ever gather the courage to let you know this in a different setting.

I've been thinking lately - a lot. Most of my thoughts are about you. I think that you're it for me, Sana. Do you think I'm crazy?

I hope you don't.

Because it's not crazy for anyone to be in love with the beautiful, incredible and breathtaking you.

Yours,
Tzuyu

---------xxx---------

It took Sana a while to realise she had reached the end of Tzuyu's short letter. She also realised that her heart was beating faster and louder than usual as she processed all that she had just read.

But then... realisation kicked in.

Wait - Pause, Rewind and Freeze.

Sana went over what she had just read again. Sana couldn't help but notice that it was different from the ones Tzuyu wrote for Mina and Dahyun (those which Sana had managed to get her hands on). Her letter was shorter, yes. But... it was also written in present tense...?

Sana's head went into overdrive. Why is the letter in present tense? Surely, Tzuyu couldn't mean that she loves Sana, as in, in love with Sana, as in, still in love, as in, she has romantic feelings for Sana as we speak... Could she?

Sana skimmed through the whole letter again before discarding it on the coffee table. Her thoughts were full of potential 'underlying' (read: obvious) messages in the letter and she started to have an internal debate with herself.

But before she could get into a more intense (internal) debate with herself, she heard the dorm's doorknob jiggling. Within moments, the door was pushed open and in walked Jihyo and Mina - along with a pleasant surprise.

"We're here! And we managed to get Dubu too!" Jihyo announced as she comfortably made her way in, discarding her shoes by the door with two other beauties.

"H-Hey", Sana greeted, still shaken by Tzuyu's letter.

Mina softly said a greeting before she helped herself in. She made her way deeper into the dorm to put her eco-friendly shopping bag full of snacks onto the small dining table near the communal kitchen area.

"Hey there, Sana unnie!" Dahyun greeted happily before she and Jihyo too went to help Mina unpack the snacks, "I heard there was a party and decided to join in."

Jihyo let out an inelegant snort at Dahyun's words, "Please, we had to convince you to get off your bed."

Dahyun blushed slightly at Jihyo, who had called her out before shrugging her shoulders, "Well, that may be true, but it didn't take much effort."

Jihyo chuckled, "That's true."

"Anyway, Mina unnie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter