Sleepless Night

Daddy's Little Girl

Sleep well Ahn Ri.. I don't know what eonni did to deserve a daughter like you. 

The door closed and supposedly with the secrets. But Ahn Ri eyes flew open. It was a nothing more than a meek murmur but Ahn Ri heard every last word. Bright and clear. She was dumb but she wasn't the least deaf. 

She's not my mother... She's my aunt.

Ahn Ri sighed in relief. This woman was not capable of doing the harm her real mom did. Still, her mother may probably be out there, scheming. And her aunt had made her dumb nonetheless. Why? Why why

She had hoped her life would tone down a little but then what would life be? Ahn Ri was surprised at how calm she was. It was so familiar, so warm , so missing. All this while, she only looked for her mother. She had totally forgotten her father. The father, who picked up even a nickel and the father who was real. He was neither confident nor perfect. He was just dad and I miss him.

Ahn Ri rolled out her bed, took out her sleeping bag and slept on the carpeted floor. Her father used to say 'if you listen close enough, you can hear the Earth's heart  beating' and whether  she could hear it from under layers of concrete and carpeting, it still remains to be seen. Rest assured,  this sleeping child's smile was evident in the moonlight.

'Rise & Shine! You have a full schedule today young lady ' Aunty's voice boomed into my ears first thing in the morning. I swear I saw her smirk.

'Neh Ahjumma~' Half asleep and careless, I mouthed my greeting subconciously. For a moment, both of us froze. Apparently, she could lip-read.

'You knew?!' Aunty boomed, equally shocked. ' I knew? I mean of course I knew.. I.. I heard you talking about omma. You said she was your eonni so assumed that you were-' Before I could finish, Aunty erupted in contagious giggles. Soon, we found ourselves sprawling on the floor, laughing our lungs out. Anyone would expect the younger sibling to be the party animal but ahjumma was so much more mature than omma.

'Ahjumma, you can lip-read?' I tapped ahjumma's shoulder and asked. ' Of course i had to. How else would I communicate with you? I mean with you dumb and all..I didn't mean' My face hardened but its time I tested my acting skills. Hehehe. 'Why did you make me dumb?' My voice was steady but I wasn't sure my face was unreadable as it should be. Omg---I can't take it---Aunty's taking it seriously. Pfffttt XD

Aunty's POV

Omg.. Is Ahn Ri angry with me? She's so angry she can't even look at me. (of course she can't, she'd laugh is she did)

' I know you hate me for it but it was for your own good.. I still don't know if eonni is still out there. If she is, she'll kill you'.

Oh great. Another sleepless night


<3 dadelione

Had writer's block for so long, I hope this suffices.

Its back to d traitress theme but- you guys can count on Jang ssi's comeback.

Keep reading, commenting and if possible, subscribing:)