Part 9

Out Of The Shadows [Series]

The way you avoided his gaze after his loaded question answered more than he wanted it to. Cursing, Kihyun lifted one hand away from where he had trapped you to run through his hair agitatedly. He then looked back at you and groaned. “Y/N. Answer me.”

“Of course, I’m debuting. I just told—”

“You said Starlet is debuting. That is meant to be you, right?”

“It’s me,” you replied shakily, your eyes still staring at the wall behind him over his shoulder. “I’m Starlet.”

“Are you?” Kihyun wondered, looking at your barely contained expression. You were shutting him out of your emotions now, when before you had been far too open with them.

When Kihyun first looked at you in the hallway, he had been eager to drink you all in from head to toe like a man dying of thirst, and you were his only salvation. It had been too long since he had feasted upon your appearance, and that tightening in his chest happened again. It didn’t confuse him as it used to.

He knew he liked you.

In the weeks without seeing you in person, he had all but mourned your disappearance from his life. He had been busy with work, which helped limit the loss, but when he had even five minutes free, you were the first person on his mind.

Somewhere along the line, his protectiveness had given way to something more.

Still, it wasn’t time to address those feelings. Not when you had a debut around the corner. And after the interaction going the way it had and leading to him now pressing you into the door, Kihyun’s thoughts had turned insidious.

There was no way to deny it. If your debut was next week, you would look different. Kihyun had been grateful when he first eyed you up that you looked like the version of you that he had imagined all this time. You had dropped a little weight, which wasn’t lost on him, though he wondered if he was happy about that or not.

He had liked you just as you had been.

But he was a seasoned idol. He saw the trainees in Starship long before they debuted. They all looked like the red-haired girl he’d spotted leaving the cafeteria earlier. There was a level of expectation for how idols looked before they took to the stage.

And even if you were perfect to him, he knew you weren’t for the stage all female idols stood on.

You pushed on his chest to get some space and to no doubt escape his questioning gaze. “Don’t be silly. I am. Next week.”

“When’s the big makeover then?”

“The concept is different than with others. Haven’t you seen the teasers? They’re not introducing me with this album,” you announced, and Kihyun tried to buy it.

“They’re not going to have any debut stages? What about the debut showcase?”

“You’ll just have to wait and see how that goes,” you told him, smiling softly.

There was a lingering tension in the air that neither of you could dispel. Kihyun wondered what the concept was for your debut, itching for all the details. But you gave none, retrieving your phone from your pocket and narrowing your gaze on the messages.

“I have to go. Nin—um, my team is looking for me.”

“I told Hyunwoo that I was on my way to practice ten minutes ago,” he agreed, but his feet didn’t move.

You pressed your lips together tightly, turning awkward. “Well, until next time that we cross paths?”

“No way. I can’t handle going so long without seeing you again,” he confessed, and your gaze finally met his, warming up for the first time since he saw you today. He liked the hope that was embedded in your eyes. Leaning down and placing both hands on your shoulders, Kihyun grinned. “You’re going to blow everyone away, my little Starlet.”

The smile faded, and you nodded too quickly for it to be sincere. “I learned from the best.”

“Don’t be a stranger,” he called as you opened the door and departed quickly, leaning around the frame to watch you wave over your shoulder.


 

“Something’s not right,” Kihyun announced after telling s about your debut details – or lack thereof – the following day, having stewed over it all until he felt as if he had driven himself insane. Glancing around the table as they ate together, he shook his head, sighing when he couldn’t put his finger on what it was.

“It does seem odd that she’s not even had a haircut.”

Hyungwon shrugged at Jooheon’s statement. “Maybe because she’s special, they’re protecting her with the whole concept. Get the fans hooked on her voice and then introduce her on the next album.”

“Makes no sense to me,” Changkyun admitted lowly. “Fans might leave if they don’t think her voice matches with her image.”

“Being an idol is the whole package,” Minhyuk agreed, and everyone grew silent.

“There’s nothing we can do,” Hyunwoo said after some time, pointing his chopsticks at Kihyun. “She signed up for this. Even if I don’t like this one bit. We can’t step in.”

“She signed up to be a singer,” Jooheon started, and Kihyun looked in his direction, wondering what thread he was grabbing onto from Kihyun’s explanation. “Not an idol, right?”

Changkyun nodded. “I was there. Terry said that he wanted her to sing. He was specific with his wording. Told her there was no vetting process needed because he wanted her voice.”

“Son of a ,” Minhyuk cursed as Kihyun began to seethe with anger.

He had led you into a trap.

“We don’t know that. It’s just wording,” Hyunwoo pointed out, forever the diplomat.

But no one seemed to ease with the thoughts now suffocating the air around them.

“Huh,” Hyungwon finally said, looking up from his phone and holding it out. “Maybe they’re not hiding her after all. I just got notified that Starlet will be appearing on Idol Radio.”

Everyone seemed to relax then, Jooheon growing excited to be the first show to have Y/N showcased on it.

“I still don’t trust this,” Minhyuk voiced quietly to Kihyun as the chat resumed around the table.

Nodding to his fellow housemate, he then turned and saw Changkyun was equally unrelaxed. The three of them shared a look that Kihyun knew would lead to this being discussed later at their dorm.


 

“Kihyun! It’s your lucky day!” Terry announced after knocking on his private studio door, and Kihyun decided that it really was.

It meant he didn’t have to seek the bastard producer out like he planned to.

“Oh?” he asked, trying to keep his eyes wider than deathly slits. If Terry were more perceptive, he would have noticed the heat rolling off his body towards him.

However, he seemed oblivious as he clapped his hands together. “I need you to attend Idol Radio with Starlet.”

“Y/N.”

Terry blinked. “Of course. With Y/N. She’s going to need her friend there. We’ve pushed her debut back a week as we’re not yet ready with the music video, but we think some exposure would be great for her. How about you both sing together too?”

All of Kihyun’s anger simmered down at the positive opportunity for you. “You really want me to promote her?”

“We’re announcing that you helped find Starlet. It’s the truth, right? You can talk about how you met at the vocal lessons and everything.”  

“Wow. I wasn’t expecting that.”

“I’m counting on you to help Y/N out with this. She’s nervous to debut.”

Kihyun nodded. “Of course, I will. She’s my friend.”

“Great! Thanks, by the way. You found me exactly what I was looking for to match my Starlet envision.”

“I’m just excited for Y/N,” Kihyun admitted, smiling briefly. “She deserves this chance.”

“Wait until you hear the album. She’ll blow your mind.”

“When do I get to hear it?” Kihyun asked, his eyes lighting up. “Do I get early access for finding your new star?”

“Come with me,” Terry stated, and Kihyun got up, following the producer out of the Monsta X department and into the trainee section.

It was there where he saw that same red-haired beauty from the other day practising in a dance studio alone. She must be debuting soon too, Kihyun thought before keeping up with Terry and entering another studio.

Kihyun stopped as soon as he saw you sitting next to another producer, your eyes meeting his nervously. “Hey. Are you here to listen too?”

“He begged me for an early access,” Terry teased, gesturing to the free seat beside you for Kihyun to sit down.

As soon as he was next to you, his hand shot out under the table and reached for yours, giving it a tight squeeze.

And then the music sounded around the room, Kihyun’s mouth falling ajar.

All thoughts doubting your debut disappeared with that one song.


 

“Your hair is shorter,” Kihyun remarked when you arrived at the radio station on the day of your appearance, and his eyes swept appreciatively over you. Your blush showed under your makeup, and for the first time, Kihyun was seeing you in tighter clothing. It still wasn’t an outfit that was stage-worthy, but your fitted jeans hugged your curves in a way that he hadn’t imagined. Blinking quickly as he took in your band tee and assorted jewellery, he cleared his throat as you giggled.

“You look flustered.”

“Don’t tease me here,” he warned, recovering slowly as he held out a hand in protest. “Jooheon and Hyungwon will annihilate me if you do.”

“Maybe I should have some fun today then?” you bartered cheekily, biting your cherry-stained lips animatedly.

Uh oh.

That all too familiar clenching in his stomach occurred then and he tore his gaze back to the door of the room you had both been ushered in to wait for the start of the show. Joonhyung had stepped out with your manager, leaving you both comfortably together.

Well, as comfortable as Kihyun could be when thinking of you the way he was.

“So, what are the things we’re not talking about today?” he asked, and your expression grew serious. “I want to be on the same page as you.”

“I’ve been given my instructions,” you told him and darted your gaze to the clock on the wall. “They trained me on how to do interviews.”

“Good. But I mean between us. Anything goes?”

“They’re hoping you and I will show a natural friendship on air,” you continued, your smile slowly growing. “So, I guess it’s not safe to think there won’t be any teasing, Ki.”

“As long as you know I’ll dish it back.”

“Don’t out me too much. I’m a newbie, sunbaenim. Take care of me, won’t you?”

Holding out his hand, you shook it as he grinned at you. With another giggle, you tried to pull free, but Kihyun tugged you into him, hooking his finger under your chin lightly, so you looked at him properly.

“You okay?”

“Of course. Why wouldn’t I be?”

“You look… different.”

“Yeah,” you agreed, growing shy. “I look different with all this makeup on.”

“Not that,” he breathed, though he did notice how pretty your smoky eye makeup was up close. “Well—”

“I’m fine. Honest.”

“And the clothing?”

“I chose it,” you reiterated, easing his concerns.

“Wow. If I didn’t know any better about you two—”

Kihyun glared at Jooheon before stepping back from you. “Don’t say anything further, Honey.”

“I was going to comment about how Y/N makes you look mediocre,” Jooheon recovered, flashing you a grin before looking at Kihyun.

It was then that he noticed Jooheon’s dark stare that didn’t match his humour. Kihyun’s brows shot up questioningly, but the rapper didn’t explain further, simply pointing to the exit. “We’re ready for you to come through.”

“We don’t have to do the obnoxious walk through the door as they introduce us, do we?” you suddenly asked, your eyes rounding with nerves.

Before Kihyun could assure you that he’d do it with you, Jooheon shook his head. “You’re reprieved from making such an entrance, Y/N. You don’t need to worry about how you look at all today.”

“What?”

You seemed to understand the statement better than Kihyun did and nodded quickly. “I get it. That makes things less stressful.”

“Less stressful?” Kihyun wondered, but the staff began to instruct him on how to go into the live studio, and he slipped into his professional approach to the schedule, letting it go.

Your eyes didn’t look as bright as before, though.


 

“So, we all know our special guest today, but listeners of Idol Radio won’t know the full story behind Starlet’s singing career,” Hyungwon announced right after you had sat back down from singing the B-side to your album. Idol Radio had been on air for twenty minutes now, and Kihyun had been impressed by how natural it came to you being on the show. The nerves you had shown earlier on dispersed as soon as you placed the headphones on and scooted close to the microphone on the table.

You were born to be in the limelight, he mused.

“That’s right!” Jooheon added, grinning at you both. “It was only a few months ago when you first met Kihyun.”

“Yeah,” you enthused, looking over at him. “He interrupted my vocal training.”

“Interrupted?” Kihyun echoed, shaking his head. “I was merely trying to hear your voice.”

“Without permission,” you remarked before launching into how you had sung together for a while before coming to Starship. “It was kind of a fluke that I got noticed by the company.”

“We were lucky enough to hear that recording before the company did,” Hyungwon gloated, and Kihyun rolled his eyes. “Maybe you could give our viewers a taste of the song you chose to sing that got your foot in the door, Starlet?”

You instantly broke into the chorus of White completely unassisted, and Kihyun’s pride swelled. You were making this seem too easy when he remembered how hard it was for him to even survive the show that made Monsta X, let alone do his first interview as an idol.

It had to be because you were around friends.

“Wow, it’s even better live,” Jooheon praised, and Kihyun chuckled.

“Now you know how much I’ve enjoyed singing alongside Starlet,” he confessed, beaming a smile in your direction.

“And singing together has been something we have yet to hear, right Jooheon?”

The younger member let out an elongated sigh. “We’ve been deprived.”

“Minhyuk asked me to relay this message tonight since he’s tuning into the show,” Hyungwon announced, and Kihyun grew apprehensive. “He told me we couldn’t have you both here without gaining a duet.”

“A duet? We haven’t practised together in a long time,” you confessed bashfully, glancing at Kihyun and grimacing. “Can we even pull one off?”

“The first day I met you, we sang Natural together.”

You grinned. “And then you messed up.”

“Hey!”

“Are we even in the same room as them?” Jooheon complained dramatically before laughing. “We know you both can sing anything on the spot after how tonight’s show has gone so far.”

“Well, I heard a show Kihyun did a couple of weeks ago,” you started, looking at him out of the corner of your eye. “There was one song I wanted to try when we next had a chance.”

“Why do I feel like I’m going to like this?” Kihyun admitted, and you grinned.

“Little Bit Of Love is the song I really liked you covering on that show,” you continued, and Kihyun’s mood greatly improved.

“That’s the song I was going to cover that day when I recorded you instead,” he breathed out, not aware that this was a live radio show anymore. He was only focusing on you now, and you seemed just as intent. “But I got the opportunity to sing it afterwards. You want to give it a go now?”

“This will be good,” Hyungwon stated with a clap of his hand, as Jooheon searched the song up on the computer.

“We’re ready. Are you both?”

Kihyun started the song out and you dived right into the first verse, your tone matching his in a way that made his blood surge through his veins. You backed off to harmonise with him over the chorus and then Kihyun nudged for you to take the second verse, both working your way through the song as if you had practised it together a hundred times.

It was just like it used to be. No song felt impossible at your side.

When he glanced over at his bandmates once the song ended, he could see the awe in their faces and that gave his confidence a boost. “Now you know why I spent all that time singing with her.”

“I’m going to create a song so I can work with you, Starlet,” Jooheon announced earnestly, and then Hyungwon steered the conversation to the closing segment.

Admittedly, Kihyun was way too amped up now.

It had been too long since he got to stretch his vocal cords alongside you, and if this was how things were going to go with your debut, then he wanted more chances with you on stage. The fantasies he once held came back with full force, the stage in his mind lighting up two spots again, your voice and his intertwining as one.

The show wrapped up, and everyone was released from the room they had spent the last hour in. Hyungwon and Jooheon chatted with you, easing your mind on how you presented over the idol show. It was then when Kihyun noticed what was missing from the room.

“Hey, were we not filmed tonight? I thought all episodes were released live on Universe.”

“There was a technical issue, so we had to go without them,” Hyungwon explained uneasily and then quickly moved over to you and started chatting again.

“Strange,” Kihyun muttered, and then shrugged, following everyone out of the room.