Status

Warmth Protection

Hyunjung has told them everything, including why she did not appear at Jiyeon’s funeral. All of them could understand why Hyunjung did it. But what they still didn’t understand is the status of Hyunjung and Luda relationship. It has been for almost five months since Luda knew about Hyunjung. Nonetheless, they did not say anything about it.

“Ehh? Dawon-ah? Alone?” Soobin greeted her with questions.

“Where is Hyunjung unnie? Doesn't she have the same class with you?” turned Sojung to ask.

“Hyunjung unnie waiting for Luda. She will join us later,” Dawon replied while typing on her smartphone, smiling shyly.

“O-kay…” Sojung raised her eyebrows, signalling to Soobin. Soobin shrugged.

“Dawon-ah,” Sojung called.

“Yes, unnie?” Dawon looked at Sojung and turned off her smartphone – put it aside. She reached her drink.

“Are you seeing someone?”

Dawon choked after hearing Sojung's question. She coughed a little.

“Hey! Take it easy. Why are you so shocked?” Sojung and Soobin laughed.

Dawon sipped her drink again, to ease her sore throat. And also, to hide her blushing cheeks.

“Oh? Are you blushing?” Soobin .

“So, it’s true!!” Sojung was excited.

“We are just getting to know each other,” she mumbled.

“Okok so you are still in that phase. How about your best friend?” Sojung asked her about Luda.

“They… I have no idea. Let’s give them some time, unnie. They both are trying to heal,” Dawon concluded.

“Speak of the devil, there’s them,” Soobin pointed out. “Look at them being a lovely couple. Why did they still didn’t declare their status?”

“I think both of them are afraid. Luda is afraid that Hyunjung unnie will leave her like Jiyeon while Hyunjung is afraid that… you know Luda is her sister’s ex-girlfriend. Like Dawon said, give them sometimes. They will figure it out on their own,” Sojung stated.

They saw the couple they were talking about approaching them.

“What are you discussing about?” Hyunjung asked as soon as they reached the table.

“Do you know that Dawon has-”

“Unnie!!” Dawon quickly shouted, stopping Sojung from talking more than she should. Dawon frowned and warned.

Sojung and Soobin tried their hardest to hold their laughter.

Luda squinted her eyes, looking at her best friend suspiciously.

Dawon sighed in defeat. “Unnie seriously can’t keep a secret,” Dawon muttered in irritation.

“Hahahaha I’m sorry, Dawon. You did not tell me that it is a secret,” Sojung let out a laugh.

“What is it?” Luda asked.

“I… urm... someone… meet...” Dawon couldn’t construct her sentence properly.

“She’s seeing someone,” Soobin interjected.

“Unnie!!” Dawon shouted again.

“What? You take so long to tell them,” Soobin defended herself.

Luda looked at her best friend – she was surprised. Hyunjung gasped.

“That junior from our class?” Hyunjung questioned in disbelief.

“Uwuuu junior~~,” Sojung and Soobin .

“We are still getting to know each other, unnies. We are not dating yet,” Dawon explained.

“Yet?” Sojung smirked.

“So, you lied to me!!” Luda finally connected the last piece of the puzzle. “I always saw you smiling on your phone but you said that it was just a random meme,” Luda attacked her with facts.

Dawon avoided eye contact with all of them.

“Who is that junior that Dawon is very secretive, even lied to her best friend huh? Is she pretty?” Sojung teased again.

“Y’all get to see her now,” Hyunjung smiled mischievously - noticing the junior they were talking about is walking into cafeteria with her group friends. “Juyeon-ah! Here!” Hyunjung waved her hand at one corner.

Dawon quickly looked in the direction, seeing Juyeon coming to their table, dismissed her friends to another table. ‘How I wish I could hide myself under the table now,’ Dawon thought. Dawon put her head down on the table.

“Hi, Juyeon. Introducing my friend, Sojung, Soobin, you already know Luda and this girl…” Hyunjung directed to the lowered head girl. “ …you know her too,” Hyunjung said to Juyeon.

“Hi Luda unnie,” Juyeon smiled friendly. “Hi Sojung unnie, Soobin unnie,” her smile was polite. “Err Dawon unnie?” She hesitated when it turned to Dawon.

“H-hi Juyeonie…” Dawon slowly lifted her head, smiling awkwardly.

“Why? Are you not feeling well?” Juyeon was worried.

“No- no. I’m fine. I just…” she stopped when she heard her friends snickering. She felt nervous. “Urm, do you want to join us?”

“Yeah, why not?” Juyeon pulled an empty chair beside Dawon and sat. “Are you seriously okay? Why are you sweating?” She put her hand on Dawon’s forehead and neck – to feel Dawon’s temperature and wipe the sweats. Her gaze looked worried.

“Yes, I’m good, Juyeon-ah,” Dawon take Juyeon’s hand on her forehead, then put it down.

“If you say so, that’s good,” Juyeon shifted her attention to Dawon’s friends. “I’m not intruding on anything, right?”

“Absolutely, not! You should join us now and then. We are gladly welcoming you,” Soobin smiled playfully.

 

-

 

“Luda-ya,” Hyunjung called her in the very same soft voice. Luda looked at her expectantly.

“Can we talk? About our status?” Hyunjung asked. They were at the park where Jiyeon and Hyunjung used to go – the same park where Hyunjung told Luda the truth – the same bench. The only difference now is night time.

“Okay. I think it’s about time to finally talk about it,” Luda complied.

Hyunjung took a deep breath. “Do you want it? I mean, can you accept me, Kim Hyunjung? I don’t want you to feel required or anything. If you still cannot accept anyone else, I’ll wait. I’ll wait until you are ready to build a new relationship,” she said in one breath. She was nervous.

“Unnie, breath please? If I say I’m ready now, will you give me that assurance?” Luda asked timidly.

“I’ll give you all of me,” Hyunjung certained.

“Then, definitely! I want you, Hyunjung unnie. I want to commit to you,” Luda said in a whisper, leaning closer to Hyunjung.

“Luda-ya… will you be my girlfriend?” Hyunjung asked romantically.

“Yes!”

Hyunjung pulled Luda closer, leaning on her face. She saw Luda close her eyes slowly. She placed her lips on Luda’s softly. She parted her lips a bit, welcoming Luda’s sweet lips to bind with her. She kissed her slowly and softly. She felt Luda reciprocate, following her lead. She pulled away for a while, then leaned again when she saw Luda’s eyes were still close.

They finally parted, distancing themselves just enough – to look at each other. Both of them caught some air to refill oxygen in their bodies.

Hyunjung smiled. “Thank you, dear”.

They continued to watch the stars in the clear bright sky. Luda rested her head on Hyunjung’s shoulder.

“Are you sleepy?” Hyunjung is concerned.

“Nope,” Luda replied while playing with Hyunjung’s fingers.

Hyunjung pulled Luda closer to her, wrapping Luda’s waist – giving her warmth. She planted a kiss on Luda’s top head.

“Hyunjung unnie,”

“Yes, dear?”

“Now I know. I know what is behind your soft gaze, your warmth touches, your eloquent speaking. I finally understand it. There is hurt hidden behind it. You hid your own pain by taking care of others because you don’t want to see them go through the same as you,” Luda lifted her head, looking at Hyunjung understandingly.

Hyunjung smiled again. Luda hit the right spot. “Thank you, dear,” she kissed her cheek.

“We go through this together, unnie. You and I, walking together, holding our hands. I can feel it and I can do it if I’m with you. Like February’s spring, it’s always warm with you, Hyunjung unnie,” she hugged her.

“I love you”.

“I love you too”.

‘Thank you, Jiyeon-ah. I will try to make her happy. I promise I will protect her from being hurt,’ Hyunjung looked up to the sky, smiling softly.


 

P.s Luda’s words when she hugged Hyunjung were from their song “You and I”.

P.p.s. i've created new twt acc (@ludawonation). follow me :)