The Truth Underneath

Warmth Protection

It’s already Sunday morning, which means they have to go back to Seoul this evening. They all have classes tomorrow morning.

It’s 8:30 AM, and Luda leisurely lay down on Hyunjung’s bed, or to be exact, in Hyunjung’s arms. They both lay down on bed, with Luda resting her head on Hyunjung’s arm playing with the older girl’s necklace around her neck and Hyunjung using her smartphone, scrolling something on her smartphone.

“Hyunjung unnie!!”

They heard Soobin calling Hyunjung's name. Hyunjung sighed. “I need to get up”. Hyunjung tried to pull herself up but Luda held her.

“Is it urgent?”

“I don’t know, dear. I will come back for a moment,” she smiled sweetly. Hyunjung got up, leaving her smartphone unlocked on the bed.

Luda picked Hyunjung’s smartphone to get out of boredom. She tapped on the tab of recent apps, and she saw a gallery. Her finger tapped on it. She smiled while scrolling Hyunjung’s picture. A while later, her smile was replaced by a frown on her face. She saw Hyunjung's picture with the girl that she couldn’t forget at all. “Jiyeon unnie...” she whispered.

The picture was Hyunjung putting her hand on Jiyeon’s shoulder and Jiyeon holding that hand. They smiled happily. She swiped the next picture. She saw Hyunjung and Jiyeon smiled, with Jiyeon holding a cake with a birthday hat on her head. She swiped again – she saw another photo after another. There are also photos of four of them, Hyunjung, Jiyeon, Sojung and Soobin. Not to mention the videos. She swiped more – she saw a few old photos – she could tell that it was their childhood photo.

‘They look a little alike,’ she thought. “Kim Jiyeon… Kim Hyunjung… Jiyeon unnie once said that she wanted to introduce me to her sister who is studying in America. Hyunjung unnie is a student abroad, and suddenly wanted to finish her final year here,” Luda did deduction by herself. “Jiyeon and Hyunjung. They have similar personalities too,” she frowned. It was as if the brain could finally work properly, she realized that Jiyeon and Hyunjung were sisters.

Luda gasped for air. “Jiyeon unnie is Hyunjung’s younger sister? Wait- but Hyunjung unnie never told me this. Sojung unnie and Soobin unnie too. They hide this from me?” Hyunjung’s smartphone dropped from her grip.

“I… I can’t believe this. Hyunjung unnie…” she shook her head in furious.

Luda couldn’t think well. She walked out of the room. She could hear Hyunjung’s voice from the kitchen. She shook her head in disbelief then ran out of the guesthouse. She has nowhere to go. She can’t think properly. All she could think was that she felt like a knife stabbed in her heart. It’s hurting her so much. Her tears flowed down on her cheeks rapidly – she couldn’t care less. All she wants is to run away, she wants to run away from this reality that is hurting her so much.

Luda didn’t know where her feet brought her to. She finally slowed down after she felt her legs were sore. She tried to catch some air but she felt her chest so tight. Her head felt throbbing, she felt nausea. She searched for a place she could sit. Her mind went blank. Her heart felt empty. She felt very empty that she couldn’t describe her pain.

 

-

 

“Unnie, do you see Luda?” Dawon entered the kitchen, joining Sojung, Soobin and Hyunjung to make breakfast.

“She’s in my room,” Hyunjung replied, not looking at Dawon.

“I’ve checked, but she’s not there. I couldn’t find her everywhere”.

“What do you mean you couldn’t find her? She was with me in my room just now,” Hyunjung finally shifted her attention to Dawon. Hyunjung immediately ran to her room, and saw that her smartphone was on. She took it and saw her picture with Jiyeon on the screen. Her eyes were round. “Luda…”

“What’s wrong, unnie?” Dawon asked.

“Luda saw my photo with Jiyeon. I think she had figured it out,” Hyunjung panicked thinking where Luda had gone.

“You mean, Luda might have known that you both are sisters?”

“Y-yeah, I think so. We need to find her,” Hyunjung walked out of the room, grabbing her car key.

“Sojung!! Soobin!!” she shouted for them.

“Why?” They asked simultaneously.

“Luda is missing. I think she knows that I’m Jiyeon’s sister because my smartphone is on with this picture on screen. She must have seen it. We need to find her,” Hyunjung said in one breathe.

“I will look around here, unnie should go somewhere a bit far. Because we didn’t know where she might have gone,” Dawon proposed.

“I will join Dawon, you both using your own cars,” Soobin added.

“Anything call me, okay?” Hyunjung rushed to the front door.

“Hyunjung unnie, drive safely,” Sojung said.

“I will,” she smiled weakly.

 

“Luda, where are you? Please come back. I’m very worried. Please, dear,” she muttered while driving slowly around the city, looking for a small figure with grey hair.

They searched for over 30 minutes but no one could find Luda. They decided to go back to the guesthouse first, to calm down so they could think properly. Hyunjung was the last person that arrived at the guesthouse, she was not pleased until she found Luda.

“Unnie, take it easy,” Soobin said when she saw Hyunjung walk back and forth in the living room.

“Uh? I can’t. I’m afraid if anything happens to her. No no, nothing should have happened to her,” she was anxious. “It’s all my fault. I should have told her earlier. First, I left Jiyeon, then Jiyeon left me forever, and now Luda was missing. This is karma for me. I’m such a…”

“Unnie! Stop it! No one is at fault here. You leaving Jiyeon is not your own decision, same as Jiyeon’s death, it does not cause by you. About Luda, you can still fix it. Don’t put all the blame on your shoulder when it was totally not!” Sojung got angry at Hyunjung.

“But, it’s not…” Hyunjung halted when she heard the front door opening and closing.

“Luda!!” Hyunjung ran to Luda and hugged her. “Where were you going? I'm extremely worried about you,” Hyunjung pulled away to have a look at the girl properly. “Did you cry? I’m sorry, dear. I’m so sorry”. She hugged her again.

“I’m tired. When will we go back to Seoul?” Luda released Hyunjung’s hold and looked at Soobin.

“Err…” Soobin couldn’t answer it. She looked at her friends,

“We will leave earlier if you want. After breakfast, okay dear?” Hyunjung stared at Luda.

Luda ignored Hyunjung then walked to her room.

“I will talk to her,” Dawon said, then tailing Luda to her room.

 

“Luda, where did you go just now? We are all worried about you, especially Hyunjung unnie,” Dawon asked carefully.

“Did you or did you not know about that?” Luda asked in a flat tone – emotionless.

“About what, Luda-ah?” Dawon approached Luda.

“Jiyeon unnie and Hyunjung unnie are sisters”.

“Oh… I just found out about it a few days ago,” Dawon told the truth.

Luda squinted her eyes – she did not know if she can't believe her best friend’s words or not.

“I’m serious. I was very furious when I found out too,” Dawon tried to convince her best friend.

“Ok,” Luda replied simply then left for the bathroom.

 

The table with five of them was full of silence. Only could there be a cling of spoons on the plates. None of them could barely say anything, to liven up the mood.

“Luda, you will ride with me, right?” Hyunjung looked at Luda with hope that Luda would respond to her but Luda didn’t say anything. “Right. You will ride my car,” Hyunjung answered her own question.

“Sojung-ah, can you drop Dawon at her place? I want to bring Luda somewhere,” she whispered to Sojung.

“Yes, unnie,” she nodded.

 

“This is not the way to my dorm,” Luda finally said when she noticed that this is not the right route to go back to her dorm.

“Yup, it’s not. Because I want to bring you somewhere. Don’t worry, I will send you to Dawon in one piece,” she .

Luda closed her eyes, not replying to Hyunjung.

Hyunjung sighed in silence. “You must be tired. You should sleep, dear”.

“Stop calling me dear,” she muttered with her teeth gritted.

Hyunjung did not say anything after that.

 

“Luda-ya…” Hyunjung attempted to wake Luda. She saw crease on Luda’s forehead, a moment later tears dropped down her cheeks. She swiped Luda’s-stained tears with her thumb. “Luda-ya, wake up”.

Luda caught a deep breath in a rush, as if she was holding her breath. “Jiyeon unnie!” she shouted then opened her eyes. She was breathless.

Hyunjung instantly hugged Luda. “It’s just a dream, dear,” she comforted her.

Luda smelled a vanilla scent added with a woody scent. She recognized this perfume very well. “Hyunjung unnie?”

“Yes, it’s me. I’m here,” Hyunjung replied softly.

Luda released their hug slowly, then looked at her surroundings. They were at the park or garden’s car park, she didn’t know.

“Come on, I want to show and tell you everything,” Hyunjung unbuckled Luda’s seatbelt and hers.