Melted Candle

God Help the Girl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CONTENT WARNING: MENTION OF DRUGS AND ACTS OF PUNISHMENT.

 

ii.

 

--

I took a deep breath when I stopped in front of an old wooden door. It was a small villa owned by my uncle Siwon. He was about to become a priest few years ago but something happened that stopped him from doing so. Instead, he started hosting church camp every summer for people of all ages who wanted to get to know more about God—.

The door opened when I rang the doorbell a couple of times. It was uncle Siwon, smiling at me, still handsome as ever.

“Minjeong?” he looked at me and grinned. “You’ve grown! Come inside!” he ushered me to his office a couple of steps away from the main door. I sat on a seat in front of his table and  he reads something from a folder. Probably my files.

“Your umma wrote that you’re currently… in a phase.” His voice solemn, “Why?” he looked at me. I shrugged my shoulders. “I don’t know why she thinks that this is a phase. This is who I am.”

He frowned. “You’re in deep.” I heard him say- I was about to say something to him but he managed to beat me to it, “No worries. We’re able to cure cases of your kind.” He smiled at me, “God will help you and we will be your vessel towards Divine Intervention.”

I was guided by uncle to a cabin a couple of blocks away from the main house. The main house is where uncle and his staffs live. The kitchen is also located there. When we reached the back of the house he pointed to a couple of beach tables perched and pointed that this is where we would eat. We walked around and there was a small chapel next to the house; he explicitly told me that rosary is everyday at 6 pm in the chapel. The activities are posted in the bulletin board near his office, he told me to look at them before dinner so that I will not miss out since they just started yesterday.

“This is your cabin, you will stay here with—the special cases.” He gave me a key which I gingerly accepted, I almost dropped it. special cases? What does that mean?

“Am I roomed with boys? Since I’m a special case?” I made air quotations as I blurted out the last two words. He shook his head, indicating a no. “You’re roomed with women. But if you’re caught—or anyone is caught doing inappropriate things… there are.. punishments.”

I gulped at how serious and scary he looked.

“Alright.”

He patted my shoulder before walking away.

“3 weeks. I think I can do this.” I said to myself. Cellphones or any types of gadgets are banned here. I immediately thought of unnie. I did tell her that I’m going to church camp but I wasn’t able to get a reply from her. It’s the end of the month so I understood why she’s busy- payrolls are her living hell.

I gently opened the door and saw my roommates. One has red hair who sat up when she saw me.

“Oh goodie!” she jumped from the top bunk, “We’ve got a new one!” she announced. The other two from their respective bunks sat up and looked at me. One face was quite familiar to me.

“Oh my god, Winter?!”

“R—Rosé?!”

After I settled as Rosé’s top (top bunk, hmpk) I sat next to her on her bed. The other two who now I know as Ningning and Jeongyeon were seated on the floor, waiting for me to tell my story.

I told them and they all diligently listened. Ningning offered me a cup of water in which I accepted since I can feel myself tearing up.

“It’s okay now, Winter.” I heard Rosé soothe my back. Ningning was gently smiling at me while Jeongyeon did the same. Patting my knees to calm me down.

After a couples of minutes or so of silence (since no one bothered to talk after my breakdown) I turned to Rosé, raising an eyebrow at her.

“Yah,” I gently slapped her shoulder, “You’re one of the most religious people I know that’s why you’re probably here.. but—“ I furrowed my eyebrows, “Why are you a special case?”

Ningning and Jeongyeon chuckled. “Yah, I wanna see her reaction! Tell her now!” Ningning urged her.

“My parents found out about me having a sugar mommy.”

My eyes widened at the information. “You have a –WHAT NOW?!” I almost yelled-- , “Why would you need a sugar mommy? You’re already stinking rich!” I poked her side. Ningning and Jeongyeon laughed like it was the first time that they heard it.

“I didn’t really want the money,” Rosé relaxed on the bed. “I just really enjoy her company but she wanted to pay me so I just received it. I didn’t spend any of it—just secured in an account she made for me. My parents found out when they saw me outside a hotel.” She told me, “She’s nice!” she was proud of this sugar mommy of hers. “We actually have a plan.. that after my college graduation we’d elope.”

Ningning grasped her hands together, “That’s so romantic. Imagine going around the world with someone that you love.” She gushed, closing her eyes at the thought.

I still couldn’t believe it. Who would’ve thought that someone as religious as Rosé could do—such things? sugar mommy..

“Are you still together with this sugar mommy?” I worriedly asked her, “And how long has this been going on?” I raised an eyebrow. Don’t get me wrong-- I’m okay with this kind of relationship as long as it’s with consent and Rosé was in the right age when this started.

Rosé smiled at me- she’s probably knew that I’m looking out for her. “Yes, we’re still together. My parents only knew about this sugar mommy but they don’t know who she is. This started around a year ago?” she pressed her lip in thought, “Yeah, last month was our 1st year.”

Rosé is 4 years older than me—she’s my childhood best friend but then her family moved to another town. We still kept in touch but it wasn’t really that much. This is the first time that we’ve seen each other for years.

“Oh, that’s nice. But—where did you meet this sugar mommy of yours?” I asked her again. This time, Ningning and Jeongyeon laughed their asses off. I braced myself for another truth bomb while Rosé timidly smiled at me.

“She’s both of our ummas best friend.. I think you know her.. “

Holy ing .

This was probably the most shocking thing I ever heard this year.

Jeongyeon and Ningning were already on the floor laughing.

She’s seeing… the Gillian Anderson of South Korea… unnie and I used to have a crush on her too.

“You’re seeing the Kim Seo-hyung?!” I covered my mouth at the mention of her name. Oh my god—the thought of her can’t even make me think straight---

Rosé nervously laughed. “Uh—yes?”

“You lucky !” I slapped her arm, “Unnie and I had a crush on her and then you get to date her and be her sugarbaby!” I was totally jealous at the thought of them but I’m happy that Rosé’s been taken care of.

Jeongyeon, who finally recovered looked at me, “Is the woman hot? MILF material?”

“Yah!” Rosé kicked her lightly, “You don’t get to talk to her like that! But yes,” she dreamily answered. I laughed. This is too much for me. I can’t imagine the look on unnie’s face when she finds out about this.

“What about you?” I pointed at Jeongyeon who grinned. She has short pixie cut hair that made her look pretty and handsome at the same time—she also has this boyish charm around her.. but I just can’t assume that we’re the same case that’s why I decided to ask.

“I’m an atheist.” She answered, “And gay. Very gay.” I nodded my head in understanding, “Your parents must’ve been shocked when they found out.”

Jeongyeon agreed by giving me a thumb’s up, “They were. I cut my hair before I went here. I’ve never been free.”

“But you’re at church camp.” I stated matter-of-factly. “Yeah, I can tolerate this kind of thing. This is just like a vacation to me. At least for three weeks I’m free from my family.” She shrugged her shoulders like it was just nothing to her but I can see something in her eyes—I just can’t exactly point out what.

“Plus,” she waggled her eyebrows at me. “There’s this girl that I think I like here and I think she sways the same way too.”

I raised my eyebrow, intrigued. “How can you tell?”

It feels like Rosé and Ningning doesn’t know about it judging from the looks of it when they leaned in close.

“I’ll tell you later at dinner.” I glanced at the clock and it was still after lunch. “Uh, what are the activities? I haven’t had the chance to check the bulletin board.”

Ningning proceeds to stand up and took a small notebook on her table, she showed me a schedule of activities and my eyes landed on Tuesday.

Tuesday

• 7 :00 – 8:00 AM - meditation

• 9:00 – 10:00 AM- exercise

• 10:30 – 11:00 AM: bible sharing

• 11:00-12:30 PM – lunch

• 12:30-1:00 PM – Siesta

• 1:00 – 3:00 PM– activity time depending on Bro. Siwon

• 3:00 – 5:00 PM – bible study

• 5:00 – 6:00 PM – dinner

• 6:00 – 7:00 – rosary

• 7:00 – 8:00 PM – alone time with Bro. Siwon

• 8:00 – 10:00 PM – leisure time

• 10:00 PM onwards sleep time

I groaned. “What the hell are these?” I ran a hand on my hair. “I’m gonna die here.”

Rosé laughed. “I had the same reaction too.”

I returned the paper to Ningning and asked her, “What about you?”

“Oh me? The police found a couple of bags of in my apartment.” She said nonchalantly. “Should you be in rehab?” I asked like it was the most obvious thing in the world. It was Rosé and Jeongyeon’s turn to laugh this time.

Ningning shook her head. “Uh—it was actually planted in my apartment by my ex-boyfriend,” she started, “He admitted to doing it but ever

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter