-1-

Saving Face
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

--

“Sakura, come here.”

A girl with a messy ponytail, wearing a semi-formal attire who just arrived at the venue, walked straight ahead to the older woman. Sakura gave her mother a forced smile before she dropped her bag at the nearest chair and went to her mother’s side. Mrs. Miyawaki was standing near the food stall with a tall and young man who was smiling in her direction.

“This is Yuta, Mrs. Nakamoto’s eldest son.”

Sakura took Yuta’s hand before she shook it.

“Oh, hi.”

Sakura’s mother smiled, looking pleased at the interaction.

“Yuta here just got his master's degree. He’s gonna take over his father’s position in their company! Isn’t that great?”

Sakura nodded her head absentmindedly as she blocked her mother’s voice before her eyes wandered around the room. She was invited to her mother’s friend’s daughter's wedding. It was held in a big, recreational hall in Fukuoka. She could also see several familiar faces. There are also some young adults dancing together and some of the elders are talking and laughing in the corner. Some of them, which she recognized as her parent’s friends, waved at her when their eyes met. As Sakura was about to wave back, her vision suddenly turned black.

“Boo!”

Sakura knew by heart whom these cellulose hands belonged to. Her one and only childhood neighbor, Kim Taeng.

“Ha ha, very funny.”

Taeng just grinned before he ruffled his younger woman’s hair. He leaned forward to Sakura’s face.

“I see your mom is still finding your potential-husband agenda.”

Sakura hummed as she took a sip of the wine as she watched her mother having a conversation with Yuta’s mother.

Sakura hates parties.

First, she hates loud places. Second because her mother might introduce her to someone. Not only her mother, but also her father, her grandfather, and her mother’s best friend, if it’s not miserable enough. Apparently, she was supposed to be eloped by her age. Or at least have a man by her side, or more like she was supposed to be a man’s side. Whichever fits. As she was staring blankly, she felt a pat on her head.

“Cheer up, kid. I’m here!”

Sakura rolled her eyes and punched the older guy. Aside from being her neighbor, Taeng has always been a brother figure for Sakura, who is an only child. He’s been helping her from buying her tampons and chasing off her bullies. There are literally no secrets between them.

“Why are you here anyway? I thought you went to visit your family in Korea?”

Taeng grinned before he pulled her away with him.

“Come with me, Sooyeon is here.”

Sakura raised her brow as it was unusual for her neighbor to bring his girlfriend to this kind of party. Taeng was not originally from Japan, his family is korean. His family moved to Japan when she was in elementary school. His family moved back to Korea around two years ago, but Taeng came back one year later with his girlfriend, Jung Sooyeon. She met Sooyeon before. Albeit her cold looks, Sooyeon was nice to talk with. Sakura liked her instantly when Taeng introduced them last year. If Taeng was her brother figure, Sooyeon would be the sister figure she longed for. And she won’t mind if Taeng would hurriedly propose Sooyeon.

“Awesome. Lead the way.”

As Sakura was about to leave, she caught her mother waving at her. Sakura cursed inwardly as she walked to her mother, with Yuta st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter