Chapter 2

Untainted

*click*
 

I remove the camera and take a good look at the latte in front of me. "Woah", wide smile drawn on my face. I reach for my brown journal from my coat pocket and start opening the page I'm looking for.

I tick the box drawn at the side of the word "Latte", scratching that off of my coffee list. Checking again the list, I've completed four coffees that I've always wanted to try.

"So, that's leave with Gibraltar, Affogato, Cafe au Lait and Irish", I my dried lips and circle the coffee that I need to try next time with a red pen. I put my journal to the side and slowly picks up the mug filled with creamy brown latte. As I thought, the first sip always the best.

"Yeoksi!", I put down the mug and grab my journal again with my blue pen. 
 

'The taste is creamy and milky. I think if the milk was added much more, it would taste like I'm drinking milk alone. But, it doesn't overpower the fragrance of the coffee. Rate : 7/10. I like it'

I close the journal, place it at the same place where I picked it up and continue sipping my creamy hot latte. My coffee journey is getting better and better. I started with Americano- a coffee so popular among the celebrities, which I don't really prefer because it's too bitter. But, this. I like this. Totally my style.

I look around the coffee shop. It's my first time coming here. Since it's close enought to my house. I didn't feel that I need to come here but the interior is pretty good. Jazz music all the time which I like. Vintage items. Practically, it looks more like those gentlemen bars you see on movies. Which I like. I might come here more often.

My eyes continue looking around to the payment counter. I could see three staffs chatting around. No new customers coming in and as I look around, only four customers are around including me. I look at my watch to see the time. No wonder no new customer coming in. I widen my eyes seeing the time is almost midnight. Guess I have to quickly drink my latte. Such a waste. I could have enjoyed my latte more if I have more time but since the shop is closing, I have to get home.

I quickly finish my coffee and puts on my coat. I grab my journal and the pen and put them in my pocket. I then grab my camera and place it in my camera bag and hangs the bag around my wrist. I walk to the cash register and wait for the cashier to pull out my bill. I take out my wallet from the pocket inside of my coat and I look at the cashier. She didn't move an inch.

I take a good look at her and she's been staring at the same spot. I look to the other staffs there but they seem too buay to realise. I clear my throat hoping it will catch anyone's attention but failed.

Then, a red haired guy coming from behind the 'staff only' door. "Noona, move. I'll take it". The woman then slowly turns around and walk away.

"Is she okay?", I look at the guy. He looks much younger than me but have that hyung vibe. "Your total would be ₩5500", he lifts his eyes to look at me. 

"Eo...matda" I take out some bills and pass to him. "She looks troubled", still talking about the woman. The boy pass me my change , "Thank you and come again", he said before turning away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cold wind attack me from every corner as soon as I walk out of the cafe. I huff out some warm air from my mouth to my palm before putting both of my hands in the pockets of my coats. The weather forecast did say that it's going to snow tonight. But, no snow in sight.

I continue walking home in these cold winds, humming some songs. I keep looking to the sky hoping to see the first snow. It would be great if I could see the first snow falling. I reach for my phone to play some songs. I click on the start button but no lights come up. "Mwoyaa...are you dead?"

I let out a deep sigh and puts the phone back in pocket. I continue walking home in the dark night.

-flashback-

A 68 year old halmeoni holding a bucket while walking to an earthenware to take out some handmade gochujang while her grandson walking around.

"Seonghwa-yah, be careful with the ice. They're slippery. You could fall..." she stops as she heard the boy cries out.

"Seonghwa-yah!"

......….………

"He hits his head quite hard and he broke his left arm. I will need to wrap it in a cast and wait for 3-4 weeks. About his head, he might be having headache for some time" the doctor told the old woman.

"Aigoo..should I be worried? He's only four years old. It shouldn't affect him in any way, right? I'm worried because his parents died in a car accident while the mother was still pregnant. The doctor back told me that the strong impact will affect his growth" his grandmother looks at him with pity. 

-end of flashback-

I open the green gate to my house and close it again. I reach  for the house key in my pocket when I see a yellow haired man leaning the wall, sleeping.

He shakes his head a few times and opens his eyes. Maybe he's awake from the sound of the noisy gate just now.

"Eo...Seonghwa-yah...you're home" he quickly stands up and shakes his pants and shirt to get any dirt off.

"Hyung...why are you here?"

I try to remember if I did invite him over or whether he told me he's coming.

"I was around the neighbourhood. I thought on checking up on you, but you weren't here. I called you a few times too but it was unreachable"

His mom must have kicked him out again today. He always use the same reason whenever his mom kick him out of the house.

"Yeah...the battery is dead" I look down.

"Yah...Seonghwa-yah...hurry and open the door. I'm sleepy" he yawns and rubs his eyes a few times. 

"Hyung, shouldn't you be home? It's late"

I reluctantly move to the main door and start unlocking. "Seonghwa-yah...don't treat me like I'm a bad guy. I could take the keys from your hand and do some doubling. You might won't even know I'm in your house after this if you keep it this way", he pats hard on my back a few times before walks in the house.